Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Pageturners [Zero]

Started by GoblinFae, October 20, 2015, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

As the rhythmic clicks of the city's mechanics declared the hour, Kaliko stretched and yawned softly. Once her wings were once more tucked in against her back, she stood and made her rounds about the library to close it for the night. Stray books were carefully gathered to be re-shelved the next day, sleeping fledglings were lovingly herded off to their beds, and lights were dimmed.

She was nearly finished her evening tasks when she noticed a lone figured buried among stacks of some of the oldest tomes in the city. Smiling softly with a few books balanced on her hip she approached the figure from behind.

"It is late young one," she spoke fondly and warmly. "You can finish your readings in the morning but even scholars need rest should they wish to retain any knowledge. Go home now, the books will still be here tomorrow."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zero

Zander had spent his evening quietly pouring over scrolls and texts at the library. It was his preferred activity in his free time. The strange albino ranger had always felt far more at home among the ancient books than he had anywhere else. Not that he did not enjoy his life as a whole within the wondrous marvel that was the Clockwork City. The library was simply his favorite.

His classrooms and training grounds were a close second. Educating and preparing the future rangers that would defend this city and serve the Shadows was perhaps the most rewarding, and in his opinion important, job within the entire organization. Perhaps in the entire world.

The time ran away from him, as it often did. Zander was far too engrossed in his readings to notice the late hour or that the library was closing as the fledglings were ushered off to bed. If left to his own devices he would gladly have passed the entire night in his chair, finishing every book and scroll piled neatly next to him.

Sadly he wasn't left to his own devices.

"Young one?" Zander asked, blinking up from his text as he realized for the first time that Kaliko was there. Sure, somewhere in the back of his mind he was always aware there was a librarian on duty, but he hadn't paid her any attention until then.

The oddly pale and dressed ranger blinked again and looked around, realizing she was, indeed, talking to him, and that the library was closing.

"Ah, forgive me. I forgot the time. You must be eager for your duties to end so you may go home and relax. May I have a few of these set aside so that I can return to them quickly tomorrow?" It had taken him valuable time to sift through the many, many tomes and scrolls the shelves homed. If they were ready for him tomorrow, then he could simply dive right back in without searching for what he needed.

GoblinFae

"No worries," she replied fondly, a warm smile lighting up her gentle features. "I quite understand how easy it is to lose track of time when you're learning something new." Her eyes twinkled with mirth as she studied the boy in front of her. "If you tell me which ones I will gladly hold onto them for you. If you'll just tell me your name Fledgling then I will mark them as for you." She placed the books already in her arms on a cart beside her and held out her hands for the books and scrolls he intended to save. It was not an unusual request to have students desperate to find some grain of knowledge for some assignment or another.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zero

For several long moments Zander could only stare at the librarian. Did she really not recognize him? It had been some time since he had first come to the city. Usually the only people that didn't know of him were fresh Fledglings. Everyone knew the weird albino Shadow Ranger that trained the new blood. At least, he had thought everyone did. He had never much cared to be a slice of city lore, standing out as some novel oddity.

Realizing he was staring, which was quite rude, and he would know considering how often his appearance drew looks, he stood from his chair, stretching lightly as he shifted through the scrolls, selecting two and then gathering three books. He wanted all of this research, but he couldn't expect it all to be held for him at once.

"These scripts, if you would." Zander asked softly as he handed over the ones he wanted saved for the next evening. A white flash of feathers appeared as Lux materialized from the shadows to perch upon his Ranger's shoulder. He raised his hand to stroke a single finger along the albino raven's chest feathers. "The name is Zander Warshaw, please. Did you really not recognize me? That is unusual, most do. It is my condition, you understand. It is hard to miss a Ranger of Shadows that is so very...bright."

GoblinFae

Staring was a fact of life that Kaliko was more than accustomed to and it no longer phased her as deeply as it once did. She waited patiently for the boy's response, her smile not once faltering as she did so. The texts were received delicately. For a moment, Kaliko glance down to note what the young man was interested in before her gaze flitted back up and her smile broadened.

"It shouldn't be any problem."

Zander Warshaw. Now that named sounded familiar. The tall woman blinked slowly in confusion before the puzzle pieces finally clicked into place with embarrassing clarity. A Ranger. A grown man. Not a student. Not a boy. And Kaliko had just treated him like a child up past his bed time!

She dipped her head in horrified embarrassment, her wings fluttering slightly behind her at her own unease. "Forgive me Master Ranger, it has been quite some time since I ventured beyond my library doors to partake in the gossip to know such things. I hope you can forgive me my mistake though. I assure, I meant no insult. Your books will be ready for you tomorrow all the same though."

The corner of her lip slipped between her teeth as she pursed her lips tightly with uncertainty. Kaliko was thoroughly mentally kicking herself for being such an oblivious fool. How could she not have noticed? Shadows take her, she was lucky he even handled it with such grace. There were plenty of other hotheaded Rangers who might not have been as forgiving, that is of course if he wasn't just biding his time to snap at her after all.

"Is there anything else I can do for you this evening, Ranger Warshaw?" Dark eyes slid and softened to see the beautiful raven and the affection between the pair. Her own shadow spirit was still racing up and down the book corridors in search of other loitering bookworms. "I am afraid that it is quite late and I do still need to lock up for the night."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Tags: