Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Girl on the Bridge

Started by visualspice, July 05, 2016, 05:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: For @DragonSong

He cracked his neck and rolled his shoulders, lips sagging over the idea he was getting older. Though still seemingly in his prime, his life's work was definitely taking a toll on his body in more ways than he'd like to admit.

Days without sleep, days without end... He was always on his guard, vigilante in his duties to preserve the promised land of Ansgar, his law, and the Great Changes his Grand Duke was ushering forth. Though most couldn't see past the blood shed, this war was a necessary evil, that only a war god like Ansgar could bless.

Connlaoth had suffered greatly, too many years pocked with scarring attacks by the villainous mages. Sure, Ansgar set rules against those with magic, but those who had the 'taint' were as human as the rest-
And men were prone to mistakes. And men were prone to greed.

It was a surprise the Grand Duke assigned him to anything but a watch within the palace grounds itself, but this week, he proposed that Zannrick himself do a personal sweep and surveillance in the city. Although he bristled at such an idea, he'd never refuse the Grand Duke's order- even as he knew a certain woman, a potential mage remained in the palace.

But the Grand Duke had other dogs to help him, other mordecai almost as well trained as he. Perhaps for this he walked with a stick up his ass, and briskly, as he mad his way across the Bridge of Men from the palace front gates and into Reah.

It was a long bridge, full of merchants from the city, as well as street entertainers, and usually beggars. Ever since the war had begun, it seemed the number begging on the street had risen, and though he could see those suffering from the corner of his eyes, he kept those ice blue eyes forward, marching onward and with purpose and pride.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

There were so many people.

Serena was frankly overwhelmed, staring around with wide eyes even as she attempted to duck and weave her way through the crowds on the bridge. She'd expected this of course, it was why she'd chosen to come at such a busy time of day- the better to hide in a crowd- but the reality of it struck her like a physical blow.

Perhaps she'd been spending too much time alone in the woods...

Shaking herself briskly, the young woman moved toward the edge f the bridge, looking out over the water.

This was it. This was the place. She took a breath and glanced around, then slowly pulled a small pendant from the sleeve of her robes, holding it out over the water rushing by below.

The ley lines here were perfect. It was the best place in several hundred miles for divining. She only hoped no one would notice what she was up to before she could manage to slip away.

visualspice

Everything seemed to be going as normal, the strange looks aside when the people notice just which mordecai was now patrolling the streets. A few suspicious gazes had lead Zannrick to a dead end, until he turned around and noted a lone girl in foreign attire standing at the edge of the bridge and carrying something... odd.

His hand gripped the hilt of his sheathed blade as he strolled her way, blue cape whirling in his wake. He didn't waste much time and called over to the woman, "Halt!" He stood, poised and ready to reprimand her if it came down to it as his blue eyes went to her face, then her hand. "What are you doing here by the river, girl?" She was clearly alone- clearly a fool.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Oh!" Startled, Serena nearly dropped the now softly glowing pendant into the river. She managed to snatch her hand back and tuck the thing back into her sleeve as she whirled around to see who'd addressed her.

"Um- just admiring the view...officer?" She wasn't Connlaothian, she didn't know how to address a mordecai- which the man clearly was. If his uniform hadn't told her the shrinking, shivering feeling of her magic would have.

Wonderful.

She offered a small smile and tried to take a step back but wound up just bumping into the rail of the bridge. "I'm...sightseeing. Yes, that's it." Her voice had a distinct lilt, an accent common to those native to the east.

visualspice

His eyes narrowed. He hadn't missed the glowing object.
"What is that you put in your pocket?" He swore he could still see it glowing through the cloth. "Take it out and show it to me." There was no choice, in his voice it held command.

DragonSong

"Ah..."

Well shit.

Slowly, hoping desperately that the mordecai's presence would dull the magic, Serena pulled the pendant out. "It's just a necklace. A gift from my mother, actually."

At least that wasn't a lie.

visualspice

As a mordecai, his presence could only snuff out magic as it were in it's natural state, but once transferred to an object...
His eyes narrowed on the subtle glow to the pendant. A natural gem did not shine in such a way.

"You would do well to hand the necklace over and come with me." With her foreign accent, attire and his over all feeling of unease around her, there was no doubt in his mind she was a mage- and a mage instantly made the woman guilty.

DragonSong

Oh great. "Um..." Serena swallowed nervously, clutching the pendant a little closer. "Do- do I have to?" she squeaked out. Her back thumped up against the rail and she started attempting to shimmy sideways to get some distance between them.

visualspice

Zannrick's holy blade was out before she had a chance to see it, and he held it firmly in her path.

"That was a command," he told her coldly, the power in his voice not once waning.

DragonSong

Serena yelped and jumped back, slamming her hip into the rail and wincing. "A-alright, alright."

With shaking hands, she held the pendant out to him. The magic had ebbed a bit, the opal set on a silver chain more glinting too bright than truly glowing anymore, but the light was impossible to deny. She swallowed nervously.

visualspice

Zannrick moved to snatch her wrist holding the pendant.
"You'd do well to continue obliging me," he growled, and gave her a yank as he pointed his blade towards her back. "You will keep walking, and do exactly as I say. And drop that necklace in my hand." He put let go of her and put his hand out for her to drop it.

"And don't forget," he told her, giving her a shove. "You are now a prisoner under my command."
Gods knew he'd slit her throat if she gave any indication she warranted it. And from what he was seeing and how his day was going...

It wouldn't take much.

DragonSong

She gave a cry of surprise and almost-pain at the rough treatment, staring at him with wide eyes over her shoulder before she stumbled forward. The pendant was more knocked from her hand than intentionally dropped.

"Wh-why?" she stammered out, hands raised in an attempt to show she meant no harm. "What have I done?"

visualspice

"You are under arrest for suspicious activity too close to the palace," he told her angrily, "Now stop dragging your feet and move. We've got a long walk to the jail. And if you're lucky you'll only get a short time in the pillory."

DragonSong

"Suspicious- but I haven't done anything!" Serena protested, though she walked at his command. She had no doubt he'd use his blade if she gave him the slightest reason to.

Gods. She'd heard things were bad in Connlaoth, but she honestly hadn't expected this.

visualspice

"Still your tongue. Protesting will do you no good here," the man snarled, pushing her along.

DragonSong

"Please, can't we just talk about this?" Serena begged as she stumbled forward again. "Look, I'm not some criminal or something. I'm just a healer, I was only passing through the city."

visualspice

Zannrick stopped suddenly and got up clean in her face.
"I COMMANDED SILENCE!" and the flare within his ice blue eyes was one with a lethal promise. "Now keep your words and walk."

DragonSong

Her mismatched eyes widened and she jerked back from him instinctively as she tried to muffle a squeak of startled fear.

Something...dark twisted in her chest and it took more will power than she wanted it to for her to push it away. She nodded, fixing her eyes on the ground and walking in silence.

visualspice

Good. He liked them silent. It made his job easier. Perhaps part of the reason he was so pissed all the time was because he dealt with so many damned delinquents. Either way, he had to keep this city safe- even if he loathed the fact his position was wasted on patrolling the streets. The novices took these routes.

Even still, he was proud, and would do everything to the T. Pushing her along, he commanded her then, "Good, let's walk. And fast."

He also loathed those who dragged their feet. Damn criminal mages. May they all rot in hell.

DragonSong

Serena glared at her feet, but picked up her pace slightly. She had to bite her tongue to keep from saying something, anything- hell, commenting on the weather would have worked!

She hated the silence. It made her feel helpless, completely out of control (though to be fair, she sort of was).

"Mrrow?"

She stopped, eyes widening as they shot toward the noise. A lithe, pretty little gray cat tilted her head and blinked at them from her perch on a low stone wall, then said again, "Mrow? Mow-wow."

Serena waved a hand at her, trying to tell her silently to go back to the inn, but Jasmine refused to budge.