Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lady of the Cake (M)

Started by visualspice, January 02, 2014, 01:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Cambie, I'm sorry for the thread title, though you probably won't understand why I lol since the 'Lady of the---' title thing is an inside, going joke for me here 8D
BUT NOW YOU ARE APART OF IT, TOO *evil laugh*
Also, sorry for all of the garbly typos- I don't normally edit posts ._.
Though I might go and edit this one :T Just to spare you .__.

----------

She had been on the run for what felt like ages, but was perhaps only just a few months since Kella Harmond took off running. She was scared out of her mind since her brother had completely turned into someone else. As a duke, he was given much power- and she, as his sister and a female woman in Connlaoth, not much power to do anything else but run. And with the war seemingly at her heels, it took all of her luck and effort to be out of Matron's Hallow. Though she had gotten as much supplies as she could, and her blonde hair- though cut short yet again, was growing longer still as she brushed her long bangs out of her eyes and looked towards the path, which soon became a colder and more complex one.

As a refined lady, she hadn't much in the skills of survival, so many weeks would go by without food. Water she could handle from the many streams within the valley, but come time to barter, she hadn't much to offer and what people had wanted- she dare not give. She had few precious things on her; her virtue, her memories, and a necklace of her mother's. And it was that necklace she clutched onto now as she stared off across the windy trail at a sign that appeared before her through the fog.

'The City of Vanille'.
Knowing this was more of a large town rather than a city, Kella was thankful for at least some semblance of familiarity. She had been here before. Turgall was never a duchy as wealthy as the others, but their wealth came through trade and taverns and the like- a lot of folks traveling through it to get tot he capital. But Vanille was known for other things, it's pretty scenery and bake shops. Her twin brother and she used to come here specifically for cakes. And thinking about those memories made her sad as she peered at her reflection in the glass window infront of 'Armand's Bakes and Cakes Shop'.

Yes, the famous cake named after the city, 'The City of Vanille' was a tower of confection! With layers of vanilla lace icing and three different types of vanilla cakes and cookies layering inbetween. And to make it even better, the very center was filled with the famous, ambrosial vanilla custard creme.

She hadn't eaten for days and when she peered at the cake her stomach rumbled, she had almost not heard it when she heard the bell from the shop door ringing and Mrs. Armand, the wife of the shop owner stepped out and smiled as she dusted off her flower landened dress and apron.

"Well hello there, deary. Mighty cold outside. Fancy the cakes in the window? We're having a sale. A few silver for a dozen of vanilla snaps. We also have vanilla pecans two for one."

Kella, taken back by the woman's words, only smiled and shook her head, surprised to see her breath as white puffs in the growing chill of the air.
"N-no, I'm just passing through. But the cakes look lovely."

"Ah, that they do." The woman said kindly, bowing her head as her own blue eyes dazzled. Though as Kella had lifted her head, she caught a sight of her and her expression twisted in confusion. "You.. you look familiar... have you been to our shop before?"

Kella, taken back by the woman's words, held up a gloved hand to her tattered hood, and tried to tighten it down and over her head, though the shadows covered her face, it still kept her nose and lips exposed.

"I.. I don't think-"

"Lady Harmond? Is that you?" But before the woman could get a yes or no from the girl, Kella became too frightened and took off down the road like a spooked rabbit and by the time she had stopped running she was sure she'd be in another town, but her luck was awfully terrible and unkind towards her, and it seemed the only thing to halt her tracks was when she rounded the bend and ran into another person, and suddenly both were smarting and sprawled out unceremoniously upon the cobblestone.

Dazed, Kella scrambled to her knees and stammered out half-comprehensible apologies, as her mind was racing a mile a minute.
"I'm so s-sorry, Sir..?" And she paused a moment to observe where her hands fell, and suddenly she jerked them away. Though she wore gloves and he'd hardly be harmed from her, it was an instinct more than anything- and one of the things she feared most of all was to simply kill some way by her touch.

OOC: Feel free to have it be him or some poor npc she's run into XD but yeah, tags to Cambie x.x
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

(Always happy to be part of a joke rather than the victim of one!)

It was always something of a spectacle to enter a town that Aryn had never visited before, much less a town that was named after (and smelled heavily of) confectioneries. It was like something straight out of a story that they used to tell in the slums of Reajh, when the children would huddle around a fire and one of the older girls would describe those little villages where food was always in abundance and free of charge. This looked to be one of those towns, except that nothing was free at all. Just his luck too, as the heavenly aromas drifting lazily from those bake shops (and by Angsar, were there MANY bake shops) had the Ironhand's stomach instantly grumbling.

Bundling his cloak tighter around his thick frame, he used his free hand to reach into his pack, from which he withdrew an overripe apple. It wasn't a cake, but it'd have to do. After all, he'd only been given a small stipend from that shady looking man who had hired him for this particular job, with the promise of greater riches should he succeed.

He had been sitting at the bar of some tavern or another when the man had approached him with the opportunity. "I represent a Duke," the man had said, to which the Ironhand had let out a loud, drunken laugh. It wasn't until the man had shown gold, real gold, that his guffaw had died on his lips. After that, it was all business.

"She'll have golden hair. And a very particular necklace, you won't be able to miss it. Bring her back to the Duke and you will be rich for the rest of your life. And one last thing: do NOT let her touch you."

Aryn took a bite out of his apple and grimaced at the taste of it, but forced it down his throat. Honestly he didn't even know where to begin. The Ironhand was more apt at using the sharp edge of his axe than he was at "convincing" some runaway lady to come with him. Maybe he'd have to give her a nice clobber on the head with his right arm to really persuade her. But would that affect the amount of money he was paid? Such complicated work.

He passed a window and immediately regretted looking inside. Through the glass he saw a masterpiece of culinary design, a five-tiered monstrosity that must've contained more sugar and eggs than he'd eaten in his life. The smell of icing was almost unbearable. With another scowl, he hurried around the corner, forcing himself to take another bite of his apple.

That was, until he rounded the building and immediately collided with a small figure who was obviously in such a hurry that the quickest path was through him. It was enough force to have him tumbling to the cobblestones with a surprised cry, crashing heavily to the ground, half-eaten apple bouncing away into a pile of nearby crates. He lay there for a brief moment, groaning slightly and collecting his thoughts before slowly sitting up.

"Did your mother never tell you not to run in the streets, girl?" he said in a voice that was louder than really necessary. "Wherever you needed to be, you should have left five minutes earlier! By Angsar, I ought to hit you for this..." As he collected his wits about him, the realization that his apple was now lost to the streets dawned on him. He let out a loud curse that shocked passersby looking his way, and had them hurrying away in fright.

His gaze, now brimming with irritation, turned toward the girl. She was a skinny little thing, blonde hair roughly chopped short and covered in the grime that came with a life on the road. Likely a street urchin. The way she jerked her hands away from him in utter terror though... maybe he'd been a little harsh.

"Right, I didn't mean anything by it," he grunted out as he climbed back to his feet, a gleam from his metal hand flashing momentarily as a passing carriage's lantern shone down upon it.

His stomach growled again. Already, this job was almost not worth the reward at the end.

visualspice

OOC: Just a note- trigger warning; some colorful language warning~
-------

When the man responded in such a way, she probably looked as if she had been struck, and cowered long afterwards, lips quivering without any real words coming out. It wasn't until she found enough strength to stand did she bow her head again.

"I really am sorry," came her voice again, but as the carriage rolled by and illuminated his hand, she first thought it was armor- that she must've run into some sort of knight, for the realization that the rest of him wasn't over encumbered in such a get up hadn't occurred to her as she gasped and suddenly took off again.

It seemed through all the towns she had been that she had the worst of luck to run into the wrong sort of people, and it would be no surprise if the man she hadn't realized was hunting her had actually followed her stumbling trail. Yes, it seemed luck was not on her side, for as much as she tried to escape the possible 'knight' or grumpy 'guard' she ran into but a moment ago, this time she ran into an actual guard of the city as his armor clanked beneath her clumsy, albeit lighter form.

"Angsar's balls, woman!! Can't you watch where you're bloody going?" the guard snapped, shoving her aside as he adjusted his armor. Again, Kella flinched back in fear of touching the man, but also at his roar of words. He had quite a voice on him- loud and angry, and Kella shrank back in apology, weakly trying to get out of his way as she bumped up against a pile of nearby crates.

It was the crates that then startled her next, then the apple- unseen, had made it's way beneath her heel, and she tripped.... and well...
before she knew what was to become of her- she let out a yelp, and the guard, a surprised yell, as the entire wall of crates came tumbling down all around her...

And ironically, the little apple went bouncing on it's way back towards it's original owner, where it settled down just beside his boots.

"You clumsy oaf! What do you think you're doing!? Are you seeking a night in jail or what!?" the guard barked, his voice echoing down the road, and Kella, for the moment, was too dizzy and frightened to even move, not having realized she had scraped her knees and they were bleeding from her fall.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

And just like that, before he even had a chance to dust himself off, the girl spun around and darted back down the road from which she'd come. Aryn was left to stare incredulously at her fleeing back and recollect his senses. He'd been in this town all of an hour and already he was ready to burn every single damned building to the ground.

He was ready to turn and continue on his way when the immense -CRASH- echoed from just around the corner, causing him to jump ever so slightly in surprise. He felt an object bump against his boot and, looking down, was aghast to see his half-eaten apple now completely covered in dust and filth. Scowling, he bent over and scooped it up anyway before hurrying around the corner. Maybe a little water would wash off the dirt...

The scene was chaos. Wooden crates lay strewn all across the road, some of them shattered upon falling from such a height, others still intact but lying haphazardly on top of one another. Already a small cloud of dust was beginning to form from the impact, swirling with the wind and into his face. It would take a small army to get this mess cleaned up.

And there was the girl, cowering from the wrath of the city guard as he yelled obscenities at her. From the looks of it she'd been the one to knock the pile crates over, and no nobody's surprise. She couldn't even avoid him, the largest man on the entire block. Angsar, you test me so, he thought briefly.

"Right, it was naught but an accident," the Ironhand barked out at the guard as he wafted the dust out of his eyes with his good hand. Gingerly he stepped over a shattered crate to where the man towered over the girl's cowering figure. The guard, for his part, shot him a glare of disdain. Evidently an hour in this town was all it took for the authorities to pass judgment on a stranger.

"Stay out of this, vagrant. Unless you're paying for the mess this idiot made."

Aryn recoiled in feigned horror before his mouth split in a wide grin. He let out a low laugh. "What? No, I'm not here to pay for all this! Who am I, the Duke of Turgall?"

He gestured to the girl. "Look, she's just a little winded and hurt, but she can clean this mess right up. I'll even stay and make sure she does." He even shot her a deep scowl, though coupled with a quick wink that was for her eyes only.

visualspice

"Well somebody better do it, and it sure as shit ain't gonna be me!" the guard spat back.  He was grumpy in his old age, his beard already having turned gray and even had a few curls of white woven throughout. "And who's word is yours for me to take? There's no trust these days. How do I know neither of you aren't some sort of mage?" Never mind that either of them could be a killer or thief...

Kella, still taken back by what happened, wasn't entirely sure what to say as she gaped between the man who scowled and winked at her, and the guard who was scowling like a cat who just drank  expired cream.

"I.. uh..." she softly stammered, still not entirely having her footing as she cowered between the pair of them. She felt trapped, and had no idea which way she could even escape.

"I should call the other guards on ye! Have one of those green horns watch over yous! I've got more pressing matters than to attend to two fools breaking crates in an alleyway. Don't the pair of you know there's war a foot? You can't be too cautious now can ye?" Shaking his head, he gestured with one beefy arm. "Oh, just see that she does clean it up,a nd if I come back here and it ain't.. the walls will be painted with your pictures!"

And with an indignant sniff and hiking of his pants, the elder, larger guard strolled away, calling over to another guard named Jeremy as he began to complain about the two in the alleyway- and it seemed the guards were only half watching them as Kella finally picked herself more fully off the ground, tucking her hair back and not realizing her hood had fallen off her head from the fall. Clear blue eyes stared timidly around at the mess before her gaze lowered even further as hands clung to her tattered skirts.

"I.. I'm sorry for all the mess. You.. you don't have to stay around to help. I.. I'll find a way to clean this up." But she had no idea where to begin.

Cambie

Aryn raised his hands in the air as a sign of deference to the old guard, though really only his left hand opened fully. The metal digits of the right hand were permanently curved in a pre-designed fashion, making it look like he was holding up an invisible ball more than anything else. The expression on his face was one of innocence, though there also seemed to be a tinge of irritation.

"A mage? Let's not say things that we might regret now. I am a man of God, I'll have you know," he cautioned the man, wagging a dirt-stained finger. And he certainly knew there was a war. Wars tended to wreak havoc for people like him, who relied on the lack of availability of a sword to earn his keep. With conscripted soldiers running around, food on his table grew a little scarcer.

"Yes, your highness..." the mercenary muttered under his breath as the guard stomped away to complain to a younger comrade, though the two of them were still close enough to be able to watch both him and the cowering girl. He let out another curse, this one slightly more audible but quiet enough so as not to draw more attention. If all had gone well, the guard would have at least rounded the corner and left him alone.

Turning to the girl now, he shot her another scowl, but this one more genuine. "The Ironhand is nobody's maid," he insisted to her while looking her up and down. For a moment her shorn blonde hair had his heart racing, as though he'd finally found the one whom he sought. But then the humor of such a thought set in and he just had to let out another laugh. If this girl was the one whom a Duke would pay such a sum to catch, then he truly was the Duke of Turgall.

"You owe me a meal, so let us escape this mess so that I can collect on it." He gestured to the crate that had fallen furthest from the guards, and also nearest the next bend in the road. "Start over there, we'll round the corner and be done with this place."

And not a moment too soon. He didn't even know the name of this town and he already hated it.

visualspice

Kella found herself flinching at the comment about being a maid.
"Oh, I would never presume such a thing-" But at his last comment, it left her mouth hanging open. She had no food for even herself, having eaten her last bits of rations a day or so ago. In Vanille... well here she hoped to at least get something in forms of work or barter, and she moved to nervously brush at her hair, when she gasped and realized her hood had fallen down. Snatching onto the sides of it, she drew it up and over her head again and took a few sheepish steps away from him as she cradled her own hands in her lap and peered down at the cobblestone street.

"But I-I haven't got the coin. It was my fault this place is a mess. Besides, You do not need to watch over me. The guards are already doing that."

Cambie

As soon as she admitted to not having any coin, Aryn let out a long forlorn sigh that came straight from the gut. "No, of course you don't... why would I even begin to think that?" he muttered again, stealing glances back at the two guards. These street urchins never had enough coin to pay for any missteps they took, and it just had to be he luck to run into the clumsiest of them all.

The two guards were still engaging each other in hurried conversation (and about Angsar knew what), but the greybeard now looked over his shoulder to the pair of them.

"Oi! Get cleaning up, and make sure to do it before the sun goes down, will ye?!"

And with that, the mercenary's fate was sealed. With another slow exhale, he shook his head at the girl. She looked more boy than girl, now that he thought about it. And yet it was clear that, with her waif-like figure and her gaunt cheeks now hidden beneath the cowl of her hood again,  it would take her all day to stack the crates back against the side of the road. If she could even reach up that high. With another mutter under his breath he removed the leather pack and shield from his back and tossed them lightly against a stone wall before bending over and picking up the fallen crates two at a time, holding them with his good hand and precariously balancing them on his bad one. Nobody's maid... hah!

"You from around here, girl? If not, then you're in the wrong place. This town is naught but cakes and bread, and if you haven't the coin then you're just torturing yourself. Angsar certainly knows I am..."

He said no more for the next moment as he stacked crate upon crate back up against the stone wall. They balanced haphazardly on one another, likely to fall with another slight push. But that wasn't his concern. All he could think about was the grumble in his stomach. He'd already had to discard his dirtied apple a second time now, and the smells from the town certainly weren't helping. That was it. No matter how much he needed to conserve his funds, he vowed in the back of his mind to find the nearest inn and order the largest plate of food they had.

He looked back at her. If she WAS from here, then maybe she could help him find the information he needed. A grin crept over his face. "Right, I know how you can work off that apple. You're helping me find what I need in this damn town."

visualspice

Kella winced when the guard barked back orders towards the pair, and with a dejected sigh, she moved a gloved hand to brush hair from her face and regard the pieces in the street, when suddenly the strange winking man from earlier stepped past her. Blinking, she raised her head to observe him and watched as he grabbed a crate and she gasped.

"Oh, but really! I'd feel terrible if you were to-" And then he grabbed another crate, and another, leaving Kella stunned a she watched him be able to handle juggling multiple crates. "Oh, really, please I-"
But then he turned to her a question, and her lips fell open before she quickly clamped her mouth closed and gave a shake of her head.

"N-no. I'm not from around here. I'm just passing through..." ANd though she was trying to be helpful, each time she moved to try to pick up all the loose pieces on the ground, she got distracted watching him. She was worried after all, he was handling so many crates that she was afraid he'd hurt himself! Though what surprised her even more was when he turned to regard her and inquired she help him...
and then went on about something about an apple, which had her confused as she paused in the middle of her work and blinked.

"I uh.. help you? But how can I be of any help?" She delicated lifting an arm to brush more of her bangs from her face.  "I've been to this town before. Though.. are you lost? There's a church to the south, with a very lovely parish, and another cake shop at the top of Dall's Hill. And then the Armand's have a shop just behind us. They're famous for their cakes though I.... I get the picture you're not looking for cake?" She asked with a timid blink as she regarded him, and turned away from him, realizing she shouldn't stare. Though at least she wasn't gaping at his arm-f or if she were to actually pay attention and notice he hadn't a real second arm,s he'd be gaping even more! And every young lady knows it's not polite to gape!

Cambie

Aryn grunted with exertion with every crate he piled up, the stack growing higher and higher. They were ill-fitted to stacking anyway, and he had no doubt that the whole lot of them would come crashing down the moment he was out of sight. But that was clearly not his concern, not his care at the moment. He wiped the accumulating beads of sweat off his forehead with a sweep of his arm. The girl seemed to be trying to help in the task, but mostly she was just standing there. When their gazes met, she quickly turned away.

"Aye, you can call it lost," he replied, the gruffness of his previous words having melted away. His tone seemed more impartial this time around, more casual. Stepping into the street, the Ironhand picked up the shattered remains of one wooden crate that had split right down the middle upon impacting the cobblestones. This one was unstackable, so he simply tossed the pieces of wood against the side of the wall for someone to come clean it up. He gave the underside of his bearded chin a scratch and turned back to the girl. For a street urchin, she sure was timid. How she survived in the harsh world of alleyways, especially during wartime, was beyond him.

"I need someplace where people sell information, or give it freely if I'm lucky. A tavern or an inn. I don't need a cake shop. Every other store is a damn cake shop. It's a miracle the streets aren't made of icing. No, I'm trying to find someone and the seediest tavern in town might have what I need. They'll also have ale and hot soup. You do this, maybe there's a cup of it for you."

It took a few moments longer, but eventually the streets were cleared of all the debris left from the girl's clumsy misstep. When Aryn waved the old guard over, he was treated to the most disgusted scowl he'd ever seen. "You call that a clean-up job?" the man spit.

The mercenary gave him a scoff and a barrel-chested laugh, and retorted, "Right, the crates are back where they're supposed to be, and the road is clear. We're simple folk, not professional crate stackers. We've done our job, and now we'll be on our way. Now carry on."

Before the shocked guard had a chance for a pithy reply, Aryn snatched up his pack and gestured for the girl to go with him. He could already picture a hot bowl of turnip soup in front of him. Though the more he tried to get rid the image, the more that beautiful five-tiered vanilla cake popped into his head...

visualspice

Had they met on better terms and in a less stressful situation, Kella might have enjoyed a giggle at his comment about the cake and icing on the streets. Blaith used to comment on that as well, and though it made a slight warmth in her eyes sparkle, it faded the moment she recalled the cold, messy street. She helped the best she could, but really, her aid was incomparable to what the ironhanded man had done for her, so when he offered her food in exchange for information, her lips fell open and she wasn't quite sure what to say.

"There... er.. there is an inn on the other side of town. Thorny's, it's called. A simple place. I've never been but I've passed by it before." And a rumble in her belly reminded her of her own plight for food, and she was dreaming about the same beautiful cakes as he when they were finally on their way. And that she was thankful for, for the guards were mean and nasty, and at least her traveling wtih Aryn, no one seemed to give the pair a second look. But one so slight framed as herself, for some reason,s he always believed others eyed her with great suspicion.

Passing by the Armand Bakery again, she let her nose guide her as her eyes glanced longingly towards the towering cakes on display. If only she had but a silver... though she knew even if she had it, she would need to save it- for money was hard to come by and what little she could ever acquire had to last. Her clothing had already long been sold, some money acquired from it stolen- and what else? At least she was alive for now, and quietly followed in step behind the other man. Though she kept enough space between them so as not to run into him again.

"Thank you," she said after a time, her voice soft and barely carrying over the volume of the wind. "I.. I'm not usually this clumsy."

Cambie

"Thorny's. Now there's a proper name for an establishment. Show the way, missus."

Through the streets the two of them wandered, cutting left and cutting right whenever she pointed out a direction with a skinny finger. For someone who'd been here once or twice before, she had a very precise memory. Aryn inwardly wished he had that same gift; when he returned to towns, he only ever recognized obvious landmarks and the inns in which he'd stayed before. And even then, sometimes he forgot.

He let out a loud disapproving "HMPH!" as they passed Armand Bakery, and especially when they passed through the delicious smell wafting from the slightly open door. He had enough coin in his pocket to be able to afford at least a small piece of bliss from the confectioner. And if he gave in to his cravings, he would probably regret it weeks down the road when he needed a loaf of bread. But by God, that smell...

As they rounded a fourth corner and past a line of ramshackle warehouses, he craned his neck to peer at her over his shoulder. "Not usually this clumsy, eh? Well I've known you for half the sand in an hourglass, girl, and you've proven the opposite." That wry grin split his bearded mouth again. "Let's see if you can improve on that record."

Finally, they reached a run-down little building at the end of a street that positively reeked of booze and rotting vegetables. It was the one she pointed out, and though he could not read the sign above the door, the sigil of a wilted rose's thorns on the wooden placard was good enough for him. Out of habit he reached up with his metal arm and gave the sign a gentle thump, the echo of iron on wood intertwining melodically with the creak of rusty chains as the sign gently swung back and forth.

He reached for the door and pulled it open. Already he could feel the warmth of the interior fire emanating from the doorway, warming the calloused skin on his hand. Holding it open, he gestured for the little waif to enter. "Milady," he added as an off-hand remark.

visualspice

Kella blushed at his remark, growing smaller for it and not being sure how to reply, so she remained quiet. It always seemed the best option. After all, she didn't want to draw too much attention to herself than she already did. And so far, this man didn't seem a threat, though when the man hit the sign with his arm, she flinched back at the noise and again, somehow missed the fact he had an iron hand at all. Presumably, she figured it was fashionable for him to wear armor over just his one arm. Maybe he used that arm defensively? This she could not say. But when he gestured for her to enter the inn, only then did she offer him a small smile at his gesture and nodded before taking a step inside.

Thorny's was a dark place, dimly lit with a few candles and a dying fire int he hearth that an old, toothless, ratty haired woman was stoking. Though she had never been inside this place, it reminded her of anything but the sweetness that was Vanille. In fact, the place smelled rancid, like sweat and old ale spills that littered the woden floor boards and made them sticky as she walked. She cringed as it drew attention, especially from a rather noisy crowd of rough looking men off to one corner, and instinctively she grabbed the cowl of her cloak and pulled it down lower over her face.

"I suppose we should find a place to sit?" her voice came out meekly, as she stood uncertainly int he middle of the room.

Cambie

Aryn followed the girl in, letting the door swing shut on its own weight. The place was dark and had him blinking for a few moments to adjust to the dim candlelight. Unlike the girl's trepidation, which was obvious from the way she shied away from every little noise and hid from every gaze, the Ironhand seemed perfectly at home in such an establishment.

"Aye," he replied while scanning the place. The other burly patrons of Thorny's occupied a substantial corner of the open space, but there were several long wooden tables on the other side of the hearth, each lined parallel to one another. He pointed to the table closest the fire.

"There's a good spot. Nice and warm. Now go, I have conversation to make with the barkeep."

Turning right, he slid up to the bar, behind which a balding old man was wiping down wet mugs with an old cloth. A bored looking barmaid also stood nearby, idly picking at her fingernails while waiting for the group in the corner to order again. Leaning his heavy frame against the wooden counter, he rapped the metal fingers of his right hand lightly on its surface and leaned in. "Right, I need a flagon of ale, bread and hot soup," he said in a direct tone. Peering over his shoulder at the girl, he corrected himself. "Two bowls of soup."

With the barmaid off to fill the order, he leaned in and stared the barkeep in his eyes with a piercing gaze. In a low voice he muttered, "I also need information, and I can pay for it. You know the Duke of Turgall? Well he's looking for a particular someone..."

visualspice

Kella obeyed, taking a seat by the fire and when the woman there cast a gaze her way, Kella only gave a forced smile in return before the old woman sighed and hefted a fat log into the fire before moving away, leaving Kella alone to stare down at her gloved hands anxiously.

Elsewhere, the bald barkeep only stared at Aryn irritably.
"Pay for what? Do I look like someone that could help the Duke of Turgall?" And went back to polishing his mugs. "You'd be better off asking the gentleman over there. They're travelers. Though the only thing I know of the Duke is he fancies the cakes from the Armand's shop. He and his sister frequented it often. But with the war, seems even a duke is too busy to return for sweets. Though can any one blame 'em? Seems the only travelers these days are soldiers or people trying to get the hell out of this country." He shook his head.

Cambie

Aryn turned his head to peek over at the group in the corner. They were still engaged in their own private conversations, but occasionally one of them would glance over at him, and over at the girl by the fire. Hardened vagrants, by the looks of them. Exactly his kind of people.

"Aye, the war's done all of us no good. The roads aren't safe, and nobody seems to have enough grain for the winter."
He cracked a toothy grin at the sour old man and added, "Which makes it a perfect time for a drink."

With a nod of his head, the Ironhand turned away from the bar and walked back over to where the girl was huddled by the fire, staring anxiously at her own hands and avoiding eye contact with anyone else. So the barkeep hadn't heard that the Duke's sister had been in the town anytime recently. Hopefully the lads over there had better knews for him, but it was entirely possible that the Duke's sister never came this way at all. And then he'd have found himself at a dead end in this ridiculous search.

He let out a small frustrated exhale as he unceremoniously plopped himself down on the hard wooden bench across from her. Best fill his stomach first, and then make his rounds with the men in the corner.

The smell of the hot soup brought a smile to his face though, as he looked up eagerly at the approaching barmaid. "By Angsar, you are a lifesaver! Where have you been all my life?"

A wooden bowl of turnip soup was dropped in front of him, along with a small plate of stale crusty bread. Without even waiting for the barmaid to place another bowl in front of the girl, the mercenary snatched up a large piece of bread and plunged it right into the middle of his bowl before stuffing the entire piece into his gaping mouth. It completely muffled the content sigh he let out.

With his mouth still half full, he rested his metal hand on the table and leaned forward to look her up and down again. She'd barely moved since they got here; likely she was starving too. Not everyone could be the Duke of Turgall and afford cakes left and right. "Bowl of soup, as promised. Take your time girl, I've still got to speak with my friends over there." Several of them were looking this way again.

visualspice

With the soup placed in front of her, she felt her stomach rumble at the sight, and blushed a little in case the man heard it as she peered down at the turnips floating within the broth.

"Thank you,"s he replied, keeping her eyes down cast as she lifted her spoon to gently sip at some broth. Though that's when something caught her eye, something about his arm... but the old woman tending to the fire returned in the same instance and the sudden appearance of the woman, and her now noticeably missing left eye, had the poor girl gasping she dripped her spoon clean into her bowl as the old woman looked the pair over with a crooked nose sniff.

"Careful deary, the soup can be hot." And with an awkward, hump backed shuffle, she moved away, dumping a few of the logs she was carrying beside the fire.

Cambie

Aryn's cloak was removed from his shoulders by now, stacked at his feet in a disorganized pile atop his skullcap and pack. He pulled back the sleeves of his dirt-stained shirt and dug into his meal with gusto.

"So you're not from around here, but you've been this way before. How did you end up in a place like this?" Aryn said to the girl in between loud slurps of his soup and large mouthfuls of bread. Occasionally he'd cough from eating too fast and pound his chest with a balled fist to help the food down his pipe. If anyone in such a seedy tavern actually cared about table manners, they could see that this mercenary certainly had very few. If anything, the little waif of a street urchin across from him had more refined manners than this hulk.

He stopped in thoughtful silence for a moment, and then leaned forward. The group across the way might have information he wanted, but it never occurred to him to ask her. Who knows? Maybe he would luck out a second time with this one. "Right, you've been around. You ever seen the Duke of Turgall before?"

visualspice

Aryn's manners were quite atrocious (never mind he was only using one hand really, to help himself eat) and Kella found herself staring at him. Though it was impolite to stare, when he began to choke, she lowered her face down and... discretely wiped off the spit he coughed onto her cheek when he was trying to clear out his lungs. The little detail made her smile, but slightly before she refocused on her own soup. She was hungry, after all, but being a lady, she ate with probably more skill than anyone else here. Even with less silverware at her disposal, Kella took dainty sips. That was..
until he mentioned the Duke of Turgall.

Then it was her turn to choke on her soup. And instead of being able to pound a fist on her chest to get rid of it, it seemed the pesky soup wanted to do anything but become ejected as hse coughed until her eyes watered.
Eventually, she got it cleared and stared down with a kerchief over her lips, blue eyes to her lap.

Did she just hear him right? Peering over at him, her eyes looked at him with both shock and sadness, though it was hard to tell if it was sadness for why her eyes glistened or because she had just been choking on some soup.
"The Duke of Turgall?" she repeated softly. And the poor girl could only gape.

Cambie

If he took anything from her gaping stare, it was that she was overwhelmed by the thought of a Duke. Poor girl, she was so malnourished that she too ate much too fast. He laughed loudly and leaned back.

"I said take your time, girl! Yes, the Duke of Turgall. You know, rich fellow, runs the place? No I suppose not, people like them don't talk to people like us. I've never seen him before either, him or his family. We don't have the same crowd. Don't worry about it, it wasn't anything important."

He pushed the plate of bread over to her. There were still some good sized chunks left, though he'd already eaten the largest pieces. Half the plate was just crumbs. That done, he stood from his side of the bench and snatched up his flagon of ale.

"I'm going to have a chat with our friends over there. Eat, relax, enjoy."

Tags: