Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Definitely a Merchant Vessel, I Promise | DragonSong

Started by Kadakism, March 15, 2019, 08:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadakism

Burton leapt to his feet when he saw Arryn and Bo leave the inn, a slight spring in his step. "Good to see you too, Bo," subtly reminding the guard that his master had indeed said his name earlier. Or at least the name he went by. He gestured for the two of them to follow, leading them in a slow but straight path towards the docks. "Lovely name, that. Deceptively simple, just like a bow. Father always used to say that the worst kind of perfectionist is a bowyer. Said that about every profession though, so take that with a grain of salt."

As they neared the row boat where the two men he had brought with him had been ordered to wait, Burton slowed his pace further. He slipped in close to Arryn and Bo, dropping his voice into an almost conspiratorial whisper. "Now, between you and me, after the Captain I'm the prettiest piece of ass on the ship. The rest of the boys, well they don't have my wit or my charm. Rough around the edges like. I just ask you forgive them if they aren't as polite or political as I try to be, aye? They're sensitive. And try to use small words around them. Some of them can't even read."

He shook his head in feigned disappointment as he approached the boat and gave his men a hidden wink and a nod. Once again, his accent dropped into something ragged and low class when he addressed them. "Look at you two. Didn't run after the first piece of arse what blinked her lashes at ya. Good job, really."

He stepped over the edge of the boat, undisturbed by the slight sway as it shifted with his weight, and turned to hold his hand out towards Bo and Arryn. Halfway gesturing to them, halfway offering to help them aboard. "These are our distinguished passengers, boys. Now you're both to treat them as good as you treat the Captain, or I'll let Ser Bo feed you some of your teeth. Lord Arryn, Ser Bo, this is Faldin and Kira. Two strongest backs I've had the pleasure of working with."

DragonSong

"Oh, it's just a nickname," Arryn chirped happily when Burton commented on his guard's name, before his sister could stop him. "Gods, when we were children Bo always hated when I used his full--"

"Yes, thank you, m'lord," she cut him off quickly, shooting him a firm glare. Damnit. Bad enough that he'd tipped off how long they'd been together, she didn't need him sharing her real name with every random stranger they came across. Most of the Sylvaren household didn't even know that.

Not because it was a particular secret, exactly, not by itself. But the rumors of Lord Orrin's illegitimate daughter still abounded in certain circles, and if someone recognized the name--an old Sylvaren shieldmaiden--really looked at the new lord and his guard, took her for what she was rather than what she pretended to be... Despite their difference in coloring, the rough hands of Bo's work and silky smooth skin of Arryn's luxury, it was impossible not to see the resemblance.

Another benefit of her disguise; a bit of dirt smudged around her jaw or over a cheek could distract one quite easily from what she actually looked like.

She rolled her eyes when their guide referred to himself as a "pretty piece of ass", but took his advice about the crew for what it was. At least for now. She closed in a little against Arryn's side as they approached the gangplank, giving the two strangers a nod but not speaking.

"Thank you, Master Burton," Arryn piped up cheerfully, gratefully accepting the other man's hand--apparently taking that offer at face value as well. Little idiot.

Bo kept close to his back, eyes still flickering about warily as she followed them onto the ship.

Kadakism

A nickname. And they'd known each other for a very long time. Both interesting things to note. Burton nodded understandingly though when Bo berated Arryn. "Don't be too hard on him. You'll find were an openminded lot of folks. Just tie a stocking around the handle to your cabin door and no one'll disturb you."

He grinned, clearly teasing them both as the other sailors unmoored the row boat from the dock and took up the oars to get them moving. The ship was a ways away, too large to dock at such a small port. But there it was, a relatively short board ride away, glimmering on the water like some kind of red jewel.

"I do love making landfall. Pretty faces, new friends. But gods damned if I wouldn't give it up to live on the sea only if I had to." The two other sailors rolled their eyes at how corny he was being, but they knew well enough to play along. They murmured in agreement, grunting with the effort of rowing the boat, and dropping the fact that Burton was the quartermaster among their idle chatter.

"We'll be at the ship in just a minute, you two. We'll hoist your stuff aboard and then drop a ladder for you to climb up. And I'll go last so I can catch you if you fall." Burton winked at the pair of passengers again, flashing them the winning smile his father had beaten into him as a young boy.

DragonSong

Both lordling and guard looked positively ill at that particular comment.

"Oh gods no. No no no. Eauch, just...no," Arryn babbled out quickly, face screwed up in disgust.

Bo, who'd recognized the joke for what it was but still screwed her face up in horrified distaste at the very idea, tried to school her expression back into something more neutral as she stepped up and took her seat in the small rowboat.

They were in very close quarters. Her fingers twitched unconsciously toward her sword hilt, shoulders stiff and tense.

Arryn, joking forgotten, positively beamed as he looked at the water around them. "Oh, I've always loved the sea," he chattered excitedly. "But I only rarely get to leave Jadenshine, really. We used to visit the coast when I was a child though, before..."

For a moment his expression flickered, old grief welling behind his eyes. But only for a moment. Then the smile was back in place, with a nod of gratitude for Burton's explanations. "Thank you very much for all you've done to aid us," he told the sailor, sincerity shining in his tone.