Previous topic - Next topic

Imperfect_M

Tag @visualspice
--------
Serendipity
Summervale
Windfall Village

---------
Windfall Village was truly unremarkable, and thus the perfect place to live a quiet life. The villagers gossiped, the fishers fished, the bakers baked. A population of two hundred at the most, idyllic, and peaceful.

The young son of Lord Daniels Draven of Connlaoth, Dezrehn Draven, had been living here for some time under the roof of a Dwarven fisherman. The gruff, stout man insisted that Dezrehn call him "Fishbeard," since "that's what everyone else calls him." What's more is that Dezrehn had also spent this time in the employ and tutelage of Windfall's resident mage: Tathfheithleann.

Dezrehn's latent magical ability had caused the boy's own (accidental) exile due to Connlaoth's strict anti-magic legislation. Being the son of a lord had its perks, such as not being immediately executed or sent to an internment camp to die. But now here he was, far from home in a foreign land. Yet, an ambush from a demon and a stroke of luck from two Dryads had put the boy here in Windfall, and here he could study and practice in peace.

Tathfheithleann was not an easy boss or easy teacher, albeit not for a lack of trying. The workshop and laboratory was primarily automated; the Halfling woman was a business of one, and that was just the way she liked it. Taking Dezrehn as an apprentice was a difficult adjustment. She had trouble giving him things to do!

The Halfling woman's methods were meant to be practical. While she gave Dezrehn literature to study, she taught him in a practical setting. The basics of alchemy and botany were first, then magecraft. By now she taught him some non-harmful cantrips to practice and hone his mind. Things like making illusory script, or transmuting feedstock material into something usable. Magic was... Complicated. Magecraft was an intricate and particular art that required and understanding of the chemical and material in order to function efficiently. Or so Tathfheithleann said.

Like every morning, Tathfheithleann waited diligently at her desk, expecting Dezrehn to arrive for work and study.

(Art by Ravenbraid | Tathfheithleann's Home and Workshopfront)
Cynbel 'Zima' Kovac-Graza - Lancer of House Graza

Aksho - Wandering Beast Fae

Beyhe Kanayhen - Weaver, Trader, Legend

Taernichanthach - Knight of the Pale Queen

Rel Usaad - Iron Dragon, back from the dead.

Tá-ngouà-yè-tlokui-à-tsokè - Lizardman, Seeker of the Sun

Tee-kup - Goblin Wizard Extraordinaire!

Calen Ardanel - Vampiric Lord of Castle Luna Nova

Ahib and Vedi - Twin Dryads of the Draconi

Tathfheithleann - Certified Alchemist

visualspice

"I won't call you Fishbeard," Dezhren insisted, as he always did when his dwarf charge insisted. And though it was an argument they had everyday, it was to be expected, and was a merry one- not one of true strife, and life went on as usual. He had gotten up extra early that morning, excited to try something new- after weeks (and weeks.. and months...) of monotony. He knew there was a reason for it but even still...

Like most young men, he had an itching to try something on his own, and took to a private footpath nearby, one that lead to a more secluded area, where he paused beside a tree incased in brambles, and lowered his packs to the ground. Drawing in a breath, he took a moment to studying the tree before he approached, carefully moving through the brambles, ignoring the scratch of their thorns as he made his way to the tree's trunk and placed a hand over the solid, rough bark.

For a long moment, he simply stood there, attempting to clear his mind of all thoughts, to focus on simply being there, being beside the tree- and simply the tree and earth itself. It was hard because he was excited, hoping to connect with the earth like he had before- but chores and practices otherwise held him back..
And he was eager to learn more.. hands on methods.

So he stood there, controlling his breathing and beginning to listen to the sounds of the wind, the sounds of it rustling the leaves of the old oak tree. To the birds chirping, insects hissing, and grasses rustling in the tall brush.  Then he lifted his other hand, reaching out and taking a firm hold of a nearby set of thorns. He felt them bite into his hand, drawing blood. But he held his breath, brow furrowing as he concentrated- concentrated on that feeling, and that of the old oak- how it must feel to be so overwhelmed by the brambles that now look up root at it's feet and how it was choking out it's roots - little by little.

He had felt it's plight before, last time he connected to the nature of this area, and in a fitful dream last night, deduced a plan- to rid the tree of the thorns and let it's roots become free. So he stood still, calm, quiet- and attempted at confidence to breath out the words to them, "Release."

At the words, he felt something within shiver. Whether it was him, or the brambles, he wasn't certain, but he tried to grab a hold of that sensation, that command and pushed at it, imploring them, "Release."

And he felt it, something climbing up his insides, like insects, cold and chilly, pooling within his veins and words whispering- speaking back. Was that it? The brambles or the tree? Where they speaking.. to him?

He tried to concentrate, to hold onto that sensation, the pull and commanded more firmly, "Release." 
And then he felt it, the brambles rustling, the ground tickling, moving- peeling away...

and then suddenly a bird pooped on his head.
And the connection was lost.

Dezhren opened his eyes, a sour expression on his face as he spat out the bird shit and moved to wipe it off his face with his gloves. He looked at it on his hands now and sighed. Then he looked to the bird in the tree, then back to the oak and brambles before shaking his head.

"Tomorrow. I will try again tomorrow."
And he gave the tree a quick pat before departing, and entering into  Tathfheithleann's place, where she was awaiting him at her desk. He was late, so he was surprised to see her still at the desk and not working elsewhere. He bowed before her and hastily apologized, and as he bowed his head, he didn't realize there was still much bird shit stuck in his hair.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Imperfect_M

Arngrim, or "Fishbeard" as most folk called him rumbled a laugh as he cleaned a fish with expert hands a knifework. The old Dwarf waved at Dezrehn as the young man passed the threshold.

"Stay safe out there, young'un!" called the elder.

----------

Time will forge the soul's resolve, experience will temper it.

Release...

Release...!

Release!

In those last few moments, as Dezrehn sank into his focus and commanded the brambles, he would hear a far-off, faint whispering. A pair of voices gossiping with the voice of tree and leaf, so far away but so tantalizingly close. Those voices were familiar, weren't they? Those Dryads, they were-

And just as they appeared, they were gone.
----------
Dezrehn entered Tathfheithleann's shopfront.

"Ah, good morning, Dezrehn!" she happily chirped.

Happy? Chipper? Something was up. And thus, the ruse was revealed when Tathfheithleann vanished into a wink of blue-white light, only to reappear in front of the young man and size him up. This was not the real Tathfheithleann, but rather a construct. Dezrehn knew that Leann kept a myriad of constructs around to help automate her work. This one in particular was simply an illusion meant to resemble the genuine article and help any customers that walked into her shop. Unlike Tathfheithleann, this projection was much friendlier and energetic.

The illusory Halfling's gaze traveled up from the young Connlaothan's shoes and up, up, and up into his hair. There she noticed the bird droppings still smeared on his locks.

"Tsk... You knoooow~," the projection teased. "Some cultures take that as a sign of good luck. Good things are coming your way, Dezrehn. All the more, here; I'll clean it up for you."

The projection snapped her fingers. Dezrehn felt a sudden "poof!" like a blast of warm air, and his hair was clean! What was once bird poop fell away from him in an ash-like dust. Transmutation; something Tathfheithleann had been teaching him first and foremost.

"I'm around in the back yard," the projection explained. "Actually, you might know something about what came through the mail circle today!"

----------

In the back yard, the genuine Tathfheithleann fiddled with a device she received from an old friend in Connlaoth... The device was a long metal tube almost as long as the Halfing's own height, resting upon an ornate slab of wood, and leading into a lock with a carven piece of flint clamped in metal jaws. Its manufacturer called it a "musket." The maker, a man that claimed to owe a debt to Tathfheithleann after saving the life of his daughter, included instructions for how to load, aim, and "fire" the device. The Halfling had not yet done so; she was too busy enraptured in its design and mechanisms.

"What a strange staff..." Tathfheithleann commented to herself.

visualspice

Dezhren nodded at the image.
"I won't have her wait." And he nodded towards the dwarf. "I'll be back later!" And with a cheerful wave he was off.

He bad been lulled into his new daily rhythm, and with this potential newness to his life, he felt more vibrant.. more awake, and perhaps moved quicker than he ought to the back garden and yard. When he saw his teacher, he smiled and quickly approached her side.

When his eyes fell upon the weapon he blinked.
"You own a musket?" He asked, still catching his breath.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Imperfect_M

"Came through my mail today," Tathfheithleann explained as she ran tiny, delicate fingers along the musket's finished wooden body. "I guess that old smith was able to find someone who could draw a 'Circle to me."

The musket arrived with its own powder horn and brass maintenance tools; all in a lacquered walnut box, too. Tathfheithleann lifted it up and town to gauge its weight. It might just be a useful walking stick, at least.

"I heard about these things last time I was in Connlaoth," Tahtfheithleann explained as she turned to face Dezrehn squarely. "You seen one before?"

visualspice

Dezhren nodded.
"My father deals in trade. We own several of these, actually. They're great deterrents for would be bandits and make a fun pass time if you're into shooting clay plates or targets. "

It took him a moment to realize...

"Oh!" His eyes widened. "You've truly never seen one before?"

By the way she studied it.. it was as if the thing were some alchemical equation she ought to solve. 

Imperfect_M

"Never up close," Tathfheithleann answered. She looked down the primitive front bead sight, pointing it towards the ground. "I know how they work, but never saw the little moving parts."

She set it to half-cock and flicked the frizzen open a few times, if for no other reason than to let the frizzen-spring snap it back closed.

"The metal grade is good, nothing seems defective or out of place..."

The Halfling, in accordance with the instructions, loaded the powder and ball. She pulled to full-cock, aimed at a particularly menacing mound of dirt, and pulled the trigger.

First a click, shortly followed by a peal of thunder and the belching of fire and foul-scented smoke. Tathfheithleann clenched her eyes shut and lowered the musket,  waving a hand in front of her face as she coughed like she'd been sprayed with something awful.

"Agh-... Sulfur-...! What a stench-!" she coughed.

The boom had- to nobody's surprised- summoned a few of the more busy-bodied folk from the village. An elderly fisherwoman somehow had already made her way up the path.

"Miss Honey? Are you alright?" she asked.

"Aye! Yes! Just testing something!" Tathfheithleann answered.

The villagers were more-or-less accustomed to booms and snaps coming from Tathfheithleann's house. She was a professional, and they knew it; they were in no danger from her "tests."

visualspice

The loud boom even made the Connlaothian jump. He grimaced as the townsfolk began to stir and question the commotion, lowering his head sheepishly to combat his embarrassment. But his teacher, as always seemed unphased. He couldn't help but smile.

"Some give the muskets a more primative name," Dezhren began to explain, gesturing towards the arms in her hand. He smiled at the recollection of one such silly name... Boom Stick. Or even.. Thunder Shot.

The poor sure had a way with words.

He turned to study the mound of dirt, then glanced back at Tathfheithleann.

"I could help you set up some targets, if you wish. But I'd recommend practicing somewhere secluded. It would be traumatic were a stray musket ball to hit someone."

Imperfect_M

Tathfheithleann rested on the musket like it was a walking stick. It was certainly long enough for the Halfling to use it like one.

"I could help you set up some targets, if you wish," the boy offered. "But I'd recommend practicing somewhere secluded. It would be traumatic were a stray musket ball to hit someone."

Tathfheithleann shrugged. "My house is secluded enough," she replied. She awkwardly looked towards the dozen or so people that had walked their way up the path to her home to see her latest 'test.' "... Usually."

The Halfling examined the mound of dirt she'd shot at and plucked out a round, lead ball. She ponderously rolled in her palm and played with it in her fingers, humming a quiet, thoughtful note.

"Congratulations, Connlaoth... They finally managed to make something as dangerous as a Serenian ten year old," she commented at nothing in particular.

Tathfheithleann walked back to her starting point and held the lead ball pinched between two fingers. She extended her arm and muttered a quiet cantrip under her breath. Arcs of blue and white lightning jumped down her shoulder to her fingertips. Those sparks leapt from her fingers and formed a blue-white sigil in front of her hand, a simple shape rapidly rotating in place. The Halfling pulled her other hand back as if to bring an invisible bow to tension.

She released her "bowstring," and that lead ball flung itself from her fingers and through the circle with the same speed and violence as if it had been shot from the bore of the musket leaned against her shoulder. The ball buried itself in that same mound of dirt, though perhaps just a hair off to the right.

"Hm... Make that twelve year old," Tathfheithleann reassessed.

The Halfling woman examined the musket's body. It was simple in its design; no special flourishes or engravings in the wood; but the materials were top-grade, and its craftsmanship was nothing less than something made by a master's hand.

"I think I could make quite the focus out of this," she mused. "What do you think, Dezrehn?"

visualspice

The young man grew quiet when his teacher reproduced the musket's affects with magic. If he hadn't gotten her point at first, he certainly did now. What was he to say to that? She just made Connlaothian technology seem childish. Although.. perhaps to the rest of the world.. it was.

"What do you intend to do with it?" The young man asked, frowning.  Did she intend to tinker with it? And if so.. what did Tathfheithleann have in mind?

"I'm not.. sure what your game is with the gun." 

Imperfect_M

Dezrehn looked upset for some reason. Tathfheithleann pursed her lips in confusion; did he just not like magic and technology together? Or was it that something else was on his mind?

"What do you intend to do with it?" he asked, a frown obvious on his face. "I'm not... Sure what your game is with the gun."

"Gun?" she asked, confused. "... Oh- right, this thing. Well, it was a gift... Figure it would make a Mordecai think twice if I ever need to run away from one. Maybe reinforce the end, use it for a staff."

The Halfling woman leaned on the musket, again treating it like a walking stick. But for some reason, Dezrehn held onto that frown.

"... Alright kid," she said, heaving a sigh. "What's on your mind?"

visualspice

Dezrehn blinked.
"There are mordecai even here?" It seemed strange, they were a big deal in Connlaoth and he'd never considered if their existence outside of his hone. But then his eyes drifted back towards the gun and he added , "Be sure to be careful with that. It's not a toy."

What was he saying? He began to sound like his father. Then again, one of his brothers took a bullet because another brother hadn't taken seriously to handling his gun. 

Imperfect_M

"Not sure if mordecai are born outside of Connlaoth," Tathfheithleann mused. "I've never heard of one, and any I've heard crossing the border usually get dropped before they make it too far into the country."

"Be sure to be careful with that," Dezrehn commented, his eyes drifting over the musket. "It's not a toy."

"Ooooh trust me, kid. I know," the Halfling jabbed with a humorous lilt in her voice.

The little mage rested the musket on her shoulder. "Come on, I want to show you something," she beckoned.

----------

Down in the workshop, Tathfheithleann guided Dezrehn through a myriad of tables and laboratories. An Artifice Workshop, Enchanting Workshop, and Alchemy Laboratory all located in the same basement. And somehow it felt surprisingly roomy. Perhaps there was something going on there as well...

The Halfling stopped at a smooth marble dais covered in various sigils and wards; her Artificing Bench. On it sat a small, black fountain pen; a stained ivory body tipped with a burnished brass nib. Next to it lay a matching, delicate white ivory brush, tipped with goat and wolf hair to form a precision point. Clearly the Halfling didn't do anything halfway.

"These are enchanting foci," Tathfheithleann explained. "And they're yours. You know those durability enchantments I taught you? If you can do one on parchment, try it on something like a stone or a broomstick. It'll be good practice for you."

visualspice

Dezrehn couldn't help but flinch at her handling of the musket but said nothing further. He followed at her command, staying studiously close but politely at a distance. So when she presented the items to him he blinked before stepping closer.

He picked them up to examine them then turned towards her. 
"I.. was hoping this week I might learn something..new," he said, trying to not sound ungrateful but.. well..he was getting antsy to try something different. Tathfheithleann made what she did look so easy yet.... somehow he felt like she was taking his training too much at the pace of a child.

After all... those creatures from before.. the ones that lured him for his magics.... it had to mean he had more potential than this. 

Imperfect_M

"I... Was hoping this week I might learn something... New," Dezrehn said, seemingly bashful or anxious about even asking.

Tathfheithleann was already halfway through cleaning the bench by the time the boy had even made the request. "New?" she asked, innocently curious. "What did you want to try?"

visualspice

"I.. I don't know.." he went on sheepishly. "I've seen mages do incredible things.  Like conjure elements like ice and fire."