Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Midnight Excursion [M] (Solo)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, September 03, 2019, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Grab him!"

Aahva ran through the dimly lit corridor, heart pounding. He had to escape, but he couldn't find the way out! Every path the boy took seemed to lead in a dead end, and backtracking only caused the distance between him and his pursuers to shrink. They were behind him now, footsteps echoing as they gave chase. He ran even faster, legs feeling like they were about to fall off. Feeling a hand snatch at the back of his head, Aahva stumbled...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Aahva awoke with a yelp as he fell out of his bed, sheets tangled around his legs. He shook his head groggily, groaning as he pushed himself into a sitting position. This hadn't been the first time- he'd had the same dream nearly every other night, and it always ended the same way.

Rubbing his eyes to wipe away the stray tears, the boy stood up and looked out the small window. The moon was still high in the sky, which meant it'd be at least a few hours before he he'd be allowed to eat something. He gazed longingly at the road leading away from the castle before turning away, fists clenched. He'd only been trapped here for a week, and he already hated everything about this place- the magic, the nightmares, the fact that he wasn't allowed to leave...

"Nobody's awake yet..." he realized. He looked out the window once more, then at the door. "Who's gonna stop me if I just sneak out?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Wyrdwood was dead silent at night- a stark contrast to the bustle of the average school day. Shadows crept around every corner, only kept at bay by sputtering candles. A chilling draft blew through the halls, threatening to blow out the lights and leave the school in total darkness...

Aahva scurried down the main stairwell, still dressed in his school pajamas. The boy was barefoot- he'd abandonded his shoes upstairs after hearing how loudly his footsteps echoed throughout the halls. The stone floor was icy cold, and Aahva felt as if his feet would freeze off if he stopped moving for even a second. His heart pounded in his chest as he stepped onto the first floor- he was nearly halfway there now. He just needed to-

"Oh, you are going to be in so much trouble."

Aahva stopped, eyes narrowing. He'd heard that shrill voice before- it was Beatrix Evans, the school tattletale. He spun around, trying to pinpoint where she was hiding. "Evans!" he wispered. "What the fuck? Why are you here?"

"Why are you here?" Beatrix's voice shot back. "Roaming the halls past curfew is clearly stated to be against the rules, y'know."

"You're out of bed too, dumbfuck!"

The disembodied voice laughed- a trill, annoying sound. "I'm still in my room." she said smugly. "So, who should I tell? Professor Ferch-Rhys? Ooh, but I hear that magician lady can give pretty nasty detentions too..."

"W-wait!" Aahva hissed, trying to keep his composure. He had been so close! "Y-you'd better not fucking tell on me you cumbag! Or else I'll... I'll..."

"Aw, what'cha gonna do Aahva?" Beatrix said coyly. Her voice was underneath him now, and the boy stumbled backwards in shock. "Nothing, that's what! You're gonna be too busy in detention! Mweheheheh!"

"Fucking bitch!" Aahva cried, hastily standing back up. "Y-you're gonna fucking ruin everything! I'll be Ñ�моÑ,реÑ,ÑŒÑ-"

He covered his mouth, eyes the size of saucepans- he'd completely forgotten. He'd wanted to say "I'll trapped here forever"- but whatever magic the school had placed on him prevented him from telling anybody. Suddenly very angry, Aahva began to dash down the hall once more. He could hear the girl yelling after him, but he ignored her- he'd wasted enough time already. "Snot-fucking dweeb!" he cursed under his breath. "Like I'll be sticking around for a goddamn detention..."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Finally reaching the entrance hall, Aahva swallowed anxiously. The door to the courtyard was in sight, completely unguarded save for a pair of ugly statues on either side. The boy took a step forward, then faltered. Was it really going to be this easy? He'd heard some older students talking about how some of the statues here could come to life if the school was in danger, but would his escape wake them up?

"I can do this..." he told himself, trying very hard not to get cold feet. "All I need to do is get through that door..." He took another step, breathing growing sharper by the second. Would he even be able to find his way home if he escaped? What would his parents say when he came back? Would they be happy? He shook his head, squeezing his eyes shut. All he needed to do was make it through the door, why wouldn't his legs work?

"Heyyy, little dude! You're up early!"

The boy froze as Obedience Barebone stepped out of the shadows, rubbing her eyes sleepily. The tiefling was still in her pajamas, and had an obnoxiously fluffy pair of slippers on her feet. She stretched her arms above her head. "I heard you- *yawn*- that you were out of bed. You weren't gonna leave without saying goodbye, were you?"

Aahva shook his head slowly, a chill running down his spine. The girl had an eerily content smile on her face- the same smile she wore when she'd stolen him from home. In a panic the boy finally regained control of his legs, sprinting towards the door. The statues sprung to life as soon as he did, grabbing him by the arms and lifting him into the air. "No!" he screamed, kicking his legs violently. "Let go of me you fucking cockmunch! Let go!"

The upperclassman rolled her eyes. "Come on man, don't cause a scene..." She approached the struggling child slowly, circling around behind him and placing a hand over his mouth. Aahva writhed in pain as a bright yellow flower sprouted from his lips. He wanted to scream, but all that came out was a muffled groan- the roots had tangled together, preventing him from opening his mouth. The boy could taste blood now, and he looked up at Obedience with tears in his eyes. The girl grinned back at him. "There! That is so much better."

The tiefling snapped her fingers, and the statues unceremoniously dropped Aahva onto to foor. The boy quickly tried to stand, head spinning. His entire body was screaming at him to run, to fight, to do anything- but it was too late. Obedience put a hand on the boy's shoulder, grip dangerously tight. "Come on, there's something I wanna show you..."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Obedience smiled as she dragged the boy behind her, ignoring his attempts to break free of her hold. The path they were taking was long and winding, and Aahva swore that they had to have been walking in a big circle. "We should be almost there now, I think." The tiefling said calmly, jerking Aahva's arm hard enough that it almost felt like it would snap off. "Or maybe not. I swear, I always forget the way to this place..." Finally she stopped in front of a large stone door. With some effort she pushed it open and pulled the boy inside, smirking. "Check it out, dude! Cool, huh?

Aahva's eyes widened. Inside the room was an ornate fountain, large enough to take up the entire school courtyard. At the center was a statue depicting a braying stallion, a wild mane of glittering stars flowing behind it. The water seemed to glow on it's own, filling the room with a dancing blue light. "It was a gift from some rich guy in Moonspear." Obedience explained as she led the boy to the shallow pool. "It's supposed to be blessed with protective wards, but we saw to that pretty quickly. Anyways..."

Aahva's head was suddenly pushed towards the pool, stopping just short of the water. The boy let out a frightened squeak as he saw his reflection. Blood was still oozing from his lips and down his chin, and the flower keeping his mouth shut was stained red. A single crimson droplet fell from one of the petals, creating a ripple in the pool below. "Now! What do you see when I do... this." Obedience dipped her wand into the pool, and the boy's reflection began to churn unnaturally...

Aahva blinked. The image in the water had distorted, and was now showing the town of Jin'ta back home. It was so clear that the boy could practically smell it- the fish hanging from the merchant stalls, the seagulls fighting over scraps, a silver-haired boy racing a redheaded girl down the docks. He blinked again, heart pounding. It was him, and he was back home! Was this... the future?

Obedience laughed quietly. "Aw, that's cute. So that's why you were trying to leave?" Her grip on the boy's neck softened, and she leaned in closer. "I'm sorry dude, really. But..." She was even closer now, and Aahva could feel the girl's breath on his ear. "...If you try to leave again, I'll make sure you have nothing to return to."

The water rippled again, and suddenly Jin'ta was on fire. Plumes of smoke rose high in the air, and charred corpses lined the burning docks. The image rippled again, and now Aahva was looking at the redhead's lifeless body. Her neck was covered in bloody yellow flowers, face locked into a terrified expression...

It was too much. Aahva shut his eyes tightly, desperately trying to scream through his improvised gag. Tears rolled down his cheeks, and he desperately struggled to shake free of Obedience's grasp. The girl resisted for a moment before abruptly letting go, causing the boy to fall face-first into the water. "That's only if you try to run away again, though." she said cheerily as Aahva pushed himself out of the fountain, sputtering for air. "Until then, we're cool."

"They're in here Professor!"

Obedience spun around, looking very much like a child who'd been caught tracking mud through the house. The door swung open as a posh looking man in his early thirties stepped through- Æthelred Veilhart, Junior Professor of Astrology. The man eyed the tiefling, then the boy. "Dare I ask just what is going on here?" he snarled. "It is far, far past curfew. Why is Mr. Chatterjee covered in blood?"

Obedience gave Professor Veilhart a sheepish grin, twirling her already tangled hair in her fingers. "Ah, well, it's... uh... school business."

The teacher raised an eyebrow. "I see." he said pointedly. He drew his wand from his pocket, pointing it at his feet. There was a flash of light, and a dark shape was expelled from his shadow. He pocketed his wand once more, crossing his arms. "Well, I'm sure you'll understand if I take over from here, then.

The girl swallowed anxiously, glancing at the man's shadow before looking back at him. "Of course!" she exclaimed, nodding quickly. "I'll, ah... be on my way, then..."

"You will." Vielhart replied curtly. "You will also see me after class tomorrow. Now, back to your room."

Obedience grimaced, and she shot one last look at Aahva before walking past the teacher and out the door. "Now then, as for you..." Veilhart said as soon as the girl was out of earshot. "I daresay you've learned your lesson already, haven't you?"

Aahva took a step back, still unable to open his mouth. He nodded his head blankly, mind still reeling from what'd seen in his reflection. "Good." the professor said. He drew his wand once more. "Now, back to bed with you." There was a bright light, and then everything went dark...

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva awoke with a yelp as he fell out of his bed, sheets tangled around his legs. He shook his head groggily, pushing himself into a sitting position. Had last night been a dream? It'd all felt so real...

The boy reached for his mouth, feeling his lips. No flower. He stood up and looked in the mirror, and sure enough there were no marks or scars on his face where it had been. His stomach growled, and Aahva glanced out the window. His eyes widened- it was already high noon.

Jumping into his clothes, Aahva dashed out of his room and down the hall. It must have been a nightmare, the boy realized- one that had caused him to oversleep and miss breakfast. Reaching the meal hall, he surveyed the room. Lunch period was ending, and most of the students had already left for their classes. Making his way to a nearly depleted platter of sandwitches, he began to stuff his his pockets full of food...

"Well, well, well. Finally left your room, huh?"

Aahva groaned, turning to see Beatrix Evans wearing an unbearably smug look on her face. "What the fuck do you want, cuntwad?" he said, trying to stare the girl down. The girl's irises seemed to ripple slightly, and Aahva angrily broke eye contact. "Ugh, sweet fucking Inima. Get lost!"

Beatrix smirked. "Aww, are you mad that I got you in trouble last night?" she cooed, crossing her arms triumphantly. "I bet you are! I can't wait to tell the-"

"Wait." Aahva said, mouth thinning. "That... that wasn't a dream?"

Beatrix blinked, tilting her head quizzically. "No?" she said, sounding unsure of herself. "Did you think it was?"

Aahva glanced around the room, looking for anyone who could be watching. "What did you see?" he whispered, taking a step towards the girl. "Do you... Do you know about реÑ-"

He covered his mouth, breathing heavily. "Are you speaking Thanatosian?" Beatrix whispered, brow furrowed. "I can't understand you. Why are we being quiet? Are you-"

Aahva shook his head violently, grabbing the girl's arm. "What did you see?" he hissed. "I need to know!"

Beatrix's irises widened, and she pulled her arm back hurriedly. "I-I dunno! You tried to quit school and got in a fight with that girl with the horns! You were bleeding down your shirt so I got a teacher!" The girl ran a hand through her hair, bringing a lock of it to her mouth. She chewed on it nervously, taking a step backwards. "Is... is something, like, wrong? Is that not what really happened, or something?"

Aahva stared dumbly at the girl, a relieved smile on his face. Of all people, was it Beatrix who he'd be able to clue in to what was going on? "There- there's a thing. A thing that �м- a thing that's bad. And I think you might-" The boy suddenly caught a glimpse of Professor Veilhart in the adjacent hall, and he paused. "Just, um, meet me in my room tonight? Okay?"

The blue haired girl looked stunned. "Wait, so you... you want to hang out with me? E-Even though I...?" She smiled hopefully, ignoring Aahva's deadpan expression. "Nobody ever wants to hang out with me..."

Aahva rolled his eyes, groaning. "Oh my goddess, just be there! You don't have to make it gay..." Upon seeing the expression on Beatrix's face, the boy relented. "But, uh, yeah. I... want to hang out with you. So I'll, uh, see you then..."

Aahva grabbed a few more sandwiches and left, unaware of just how meaningful his new friendship would end up becoming...