Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The magic of warm bread (CalamityMei)

Started by SilmeriaElemred, October 07, 2014, 12:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

It was dark, but a small shop had a furnace and candles burning. Keir was always up early and fortunatly could do with little sleep. Whistling some tunes, the various kinds of dough got placed in the oven. It did not take long for the small bakery to emit a lovely aroma from fresh bread and pies.

Piefillings came next. Yellow vanilla creams, various fruits and sweets. And preperations for those who wanted fresh syrup waffles.

When the bread was done he took them out to cool a little before puting them in seperate baskets and others on the wooden shelves and turned around the wooden sign in the shop window that he was now open.

Keir had not always been a baker. He knew the world of traveling as well. But there were times to travel and find fortune, and times to settle down a little and do what you love the most. And now, that was baking bread. Bringing smiles on peoples faces. As final he had filled a basket with the very well edible but misshaped buns he'd often give to children or less wealthy to prevent them from having to steal food. Something that first concerned his mother but in the end it was a good idea. He passed his orders once more to make sure everything was fine for those who'd pick them up soon. He set the two small tables his shop had to offer. It was not often someone consumed buns in the shop but it was nice when it happened and make a little talk with the customer.

CalamityMei

She always loved the early morning, the air was still damp from the rain overnight but the sun was warming to the point where she felt no need for a jacket. Nienna sported a white blouse, covered by a tan poncho slouching across her frame while the rest of her had a simple long patchwork skirt and some boots to finish it all off.

She hummed a tune as she strode along the already bustling cobbled roads, a woven basket in her hands as she went about collect groceries for her home. She needed to stock up more often, but money was scarce, she had just enough to get her by, working jobs here and there.

It was when she came across a bakery that she froze in front of the display case, seeing baked goods fresh out of the oven. Stepping in she looked around curiously, her white hair was in a ponytail and flicked from one shoulder to the other as she looked from corner to corner. Inspecting the bread and other pastries that were on offer, she sought out the owner.

Coming to the counter she peeked over. "Um, excuse me?"

SilmeriaElemred

''Good morning mi-lady'' Keir said with a welcoming wide smile on his face. A littlebit of yellow cream and flour on his face from making sugared tarts he had only just finished. His silvery grey eyes sparkled from enjoyment. With a cloth he cleaned his hands from flour and cream. ''How can I be of service for you today'' he asked.

He had barely finished asking or there was some light tapping on the window. Two boys both were outside with wide grins on their faces looking at him through the window.
The man grinned back at them and made a gesture with his head for them to come inside.

''Mornin' '' they said half out of breath to the lady before they each got offered a large raisin bun. It was not burned but a little to dark to be sold. The boys accepted it with joy however

''I will come by tonight after I close with some bread for your mother, do not worry. I wont forget.'' he assured the boys.

''Thank you for looking after her uncl' ''

''Uncle huh.'' Keir said with a chuckle. ''Was I not a brother yesterday?''

The boys headed towards the door and Keir wished them good luck with their work before they thanked him and wished the lady and him a pleasant day.

''I apologise. They come here every morning for a free bun before they head to work. Now...'' he spoke kind and calmly. There was no rush, he liked to take his time with customers. ''What would you like''

CalamityMei

The warm welcome was expected, but the man behind the welcome wasn't. She was taken aback at his handsome features and the wide smile that consumed his face. Jumping out of her reverie she offered one of her own. "I was just passing by...and well I was curious." She examined all the baked goods, the smells of the bakery invading her nostrils.

As the boys came and went she gave them a nod of good gesture before turning her attention back to the baker. "It's unusual to see someone give so freely." In these hard times she rarely saw compassion, even to children, having lived for more than two centuries she could safely say it was a lovely sight to see such kindness.

At his question she looked at the baskets, bring her finger to her lips in thought. "The bread looks good." Her stomach rumbled in response as she pointed to two loafs of bread.

SilmeriaElemred

''It is a waste to throw it away. Some things are not good enough to sell but still perfectly fine to eat. I make sure I earn my quota and to those who do not make enough money to come by properly, get free bread. To those unable to come here, I bring it after I close. But if things would go wrong suddenly I will not get out of business right away.''

He took the two loafs of bread when he heard her stomach rumbling. ''If you like, can I interest you in a cup of tea and a fresh warm bun with cheese on the house?''