Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Ride through Town [Open]

Started by Saber-Five, August 06, 2015, 03:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber-Five

Wearing his trademark chainmail armor Rubin Morrell rode on horseback though one of Kerta's dusty streets. The red and black tabard draped over the chainmail made him stand out along with the sword in the sheath on his left side. In his right arm he wield a metal shield that proudly displayed the nation's winged dragon emblem in its center. The town of Kerta was busy as usual, Rubin noted. A good number of commoners, all around him were busy haggling with merchants at their makeshift shops.

Compare to their appearance he was very noticeable, yet many ignored him for they have seen knights before, multiple times and needed to focus on business. Some however, mostly children looked at Rubin's direction, easily impressed with what he is. The young man in armor nodded to them in friendly acknowledgement, a pair of them a boy and a girl were beaming no doubt, dreaming of becoming like him one day. Rubin sighed once he was out of eyeshot from them. The truth is he was still new at this calling of his, having been knighted only recently.

Of course, Rubin wasn't no stranger to warfare, he spent much of his teenage years fighting in the Serha Plains against nomadic raiders as a squire. It just he knew there was more to being a knight than knowing how to fight. In fact its more than a career, it's a lifelong commitment to the service. Lord Carl Terrin, his uncle had drilled into Rubin's skull, what is the requirements of a knight for a long time. Considering that education, Rubin wondered why he is nervous as he was right now.

Perhaps it's my family's reputation, the name Morrell is still hated here in the capital, even after all these years. My lord and commander Longaine seems to accept me as his vassel but I highly doubt many of my peers or the nobles will be as generous once they know who am I. Any mistake I make, any sign of weakness in front of them and they will take of advantage of it like vultures.

That is why Rubin resolved to be at his upmost best. It wasn't just about him, there was his remaining kin to think about as well. He couldn't afford to let them down in any case whatsoever. Though in the back of his mind, the young man wished that his late father's sins weren't weighted on him and be judged simply for how he carry himself as a person, good or bad. These things he pondered with a seemly stoic face while he continue to ride into the next street.

JackieCat

"Whoo-ee!" Faelis muttered under his breath as he skidded around a corner, his long hair flying and his leather boots skidding on the cobble stones.  The elf dashed away from his pursuer, who happened to be a very heavyset baker whom Faelis had just stolen some bread from.  The baker had had more than enough, and by the look of him and his family, they definitely had enough to eat.

For such a large man, the baker was fast, and that was saying something, for, as a very fit elf, Faelis was very quick.  But Faelis didn't know this part of town very well, and he had run into a few dead ends, causing him to need to backtrack.

As he ran his long black hair flew out behind him, the bones and beads and feathers braided into his hair clicking together as he dashed through the streets.  As he ran he, accidentally, knocked a pile of laundry from a woman's arm and then nearly walked into the edge of a sword as he turned another corner.

'The only way this could get more disastrous would be if I came across a lawman,' Faelis thought, and that was when he turned a corner, ran out into a main street, bumped into a horse, and stumbled backwards, right in front of a man wearing a red and black tabard on a horse.  Shouts of 'Stop, thief!' could be heard far behind him, so any chance of pretending not to be the thief vanished.  Plus the fact that he had been running like a madman with a loaf of bread under his arm and a wild look in his gold red-flecked eyes, and that he was wearing all black leather, from hit high-heeled knee-high boots to his short long-sleeved jacket.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Saber-Five

The moment when a running figure bumped into his horse, Rubin struggled to stay mounted as the startled animal panicked. He was forced to drop the shield to use both hands with the reins in order to steady the horse named Aramis. Once he done so Rubin turned his attention to the elf in black leather on the ground with an inquisitive expression. The shouts of thief from the background and the sight of the bread in the downed man's grasp made it clear to the knight to what's going on.

Rubin unsheathed his sword and pointed it toward the young thief then firmly said.

"I recommend you stay down."

DarkAssassin

Dilys Gynne saw the scene from about fifty paces away. He was standing beside a fruit cart, and had been in the middle of distracting the merchant with the intent of stealing a peach for a lovely lady who was talking to a wine seller a few stalls down.

Breezily, he had zipped behind the fruit seller, tapped him on the shoulder, zipped back and grabbed the fattest peach he could find before the man had the sense to turn round. Dilys now gazed at the commotion (with one of his pockets chubbier than the other), where an easily identifiable thief had bumped into an even more easily identifiable knight.

"Pft," Dilys muttered, "newbie." He sighed and tapped his chin. Was there a such thing as a thief's code? He wasn't sure, but if there was, it was far more likely to be 'every man for himself' than 'help your fellow kleptomaniac.' Still ...

He turned his striking blue eyes upon the lady at the wine stand, who was leaving with a brand new bottle sticking out from under her arm. "Au revoir, madame," he sighed.

Then, in a flash, he vanished from where he stood and appeared beside the fallen elf and the knight with the sword. "Whoa, whoa! Put that thing away, big fella." He turned his gaze from one to the other and let loose a sparkling smile. "What seems to be the problem here?"

JackieCat

Faelis was not, in fact, a 'newbie' he had been thief for seven very exiting years, and when the man on the horse lowered his sword, the elf readied the dagger in his sleeve.  But before he could take any action, another young man suddenly appeared next to them.

When the man asked what the problem was, Faelis stayed quiet and looked at the knight.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Saber-Five

Rubin spared a momentarily glance to the other man that stepped beside him and the thief. Another foreigner, by the looks of him, human this time. It raised the knight's suspicions especially wth the charmer's smile being on display. The Adelan warrior didn't actually hate foreigners but the situation was tense enough as it is without having this interruption. His gut instincts told him this third person was up something but what exactly?

"Stopping a suspect, now sir please step back." Rubin repiled in an neutral tone before returning his gaze to the suspect in question. Finally a fat man dressed as a baker appear on the opposite side, pointing a finger at the elf.

"Give back my bread, thief!"

Meanwhile a patrol of guardsmen some distance south if noticed what going on and were rushing forward, trying to through the crowd that was forming.

DarkAssassin

"A suspect?" Dilys ran a hand through his chestnut hair and opened his mouth, but before he could say more he heard the ruckus of mixed shouting. Glancing to the side, he saw a baker pointing accusingly and a mob of guardsmen rushing forth. A crowd was beginning to form around them.

"Bother, bother," he mumbled to himself. He had not wanted a crowd. Within the gathered folk, he noticed the same young woman he had seen earlier. He met her eyes momentarily and an idea popped into his head.

For an instant, anyone watching very, very closely would have noticed Dilys' form shimmer. Then he grinned widely and shook his head at the knight before him. "No need to be hasty. I think you'll find this strapping lad here hasn't quite done anything wrong. It appears he was running away with something, though..."

Directing his gaze over to the elf, Dilys gestured to his hands. Where the bread had been moments before was now a fat peach, double the size of a baseball. Hoping that no one would notice with their attention on the elf, Dilys' own pockets were now dangerously full of broken bread.

"Stole my peach. He was probably trying to escape by means of the bakery, since it's so close. Thank you for being ever so kind and stopping him." Dilys bowed to the knight. "But I am nothing if not generous. So I should wish you to press no charges.

Now, now, sir. We won't be stealing again, will we?" Dilys winked at the elf, his pockets close to bursting.

JackieCat

Despite the man's very, very, quick switch, Faelis noticed it in more than just the peach now in his hands.  As an elf, he had heightened senses, and while he had only seen a slight shimmer to indicate the man's movement, he saw it alright, probably more clearly in anyone else in the growing crowd.  But Faelis noticed the movement on a different level, as almost a sixth sense. He was never as in tune with nature and magic as his brother, but he could feel that the man had moved.

He looked down at the peach in his hand, and then up at the other man.  Faelis noticed the bulge of his pockets, but said nothing and got to his feet.  "Ah, no," he said, attempting to look humble. "Stealing is really not for me, I just decided I would try it once, and I found it very unpleasant.  I'll never steal again.  This was the first and last time for me.  I am very sorry, sir, that I stole from you."  He said this all in a very convincing way, Faelis was a very good liar.

Faelis had told many lies in his life, but that, perhaps was the biggest.  Nearly everything he wore was stolen.  All of his jewelry, his clothing, even his weapons had been stolen. 

He looked at the knight to see his reaction to all this.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Saber-Five

Spirits!

Rubin thought to himself, looking at the peach, because moments before it was bread. Something is not right about this the knight considered further. Perhaps it's magic, the elf or the other man he suspected. But Rubin couldn't have the two detained simply for having a strange feeling about them, he would need evidence. Beside he didn't want to endanger bystanders with a confrontation with magic users if it is the case. The baker was swearing left and right, insisting that the elf did steal from him, to which of the one of arriving guards replied.

"Gregor we know you stuff your face with your own goodies sometimes, perhaps it happen again today and you forgot."

The crowd familiar with Gregor chuckled in reaction, much to the overweighted man's embarrassment. With his suspicions in consideration, Rubin made his decision. The new knight withdrew his sword and put back into the sheath.

"Very well, that is good enough with me. Enjoy the rest of your time here in Ketra, strangers. Just don't stay too long, you probably have better things to do and other places to see."

Rubin said in a friendly matter, but if they're really liars and thieves, those forgienror will detect the sutble warning in that last sentence. The warrior intended to report this whole incident later to the authorities and recommend brining in the military's own magic users to deal with them should there be more trouble. Hopefully these two will wise up and get out of the capital. After a guard gave back his fallen shield and placing it in his back this time, Rubin proceeded to ride away from the scene and the crowd quickly broke up as well.

DarkAssassin

Dilys flashed an enormous smile and bowed once more to the knight. His plan had worked better than expected. Pleased with himself, he said, "I shall take your wise words into deep consideration, sir knight."

As the crowd began to disperse, Dilys' eye caught the same woman from before beginning to leave. Without even looking at the elf, he began walking away towards her. As he went, he whistled a tune triumphantly.