Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It Takes Two(FlowyWolf!)

Started by JackieCat, April 28, 2016, 11:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

"There's nothing to special about the job," Lorin said, thinking. "Though I know that the security is pretty high, and some of the traps are deadly."

She looked sideways at Raven. "If you don't want to do this, that's fine, you can keep the money I gave you and go."  She wasn't sure hope skilled the kid was, but she knew he was somewhat of an amateur, at least when it came to something like this job.  And even though he'd said he'd done a breaking-and-entering job before, Lorin didn't know how dangerous it had been.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

Raven froze hearing her words, scared as hell.
"What? No, I won't give up, why should I!". He was almost jumping off the bed, as agitated as he was, yet he managed not to move. He knew why she said that, he had acted so stupidly for all the time they were there, and now she surely feared he was useless for their job.

"I just wanted to be sure to know everything, that's all." Jumping off the bed, he arranged his clothes and, trying to look as adult as he could and deepen his voice, he turned his head toward Lorin.

"Well then, if we have nothing more to plan, why won't we go downstairs, in front of a good mug of ale and some stew?".

JackieCat

Lorin's eyes widened as the kid seemed to freak out.  She watched him as he attempted to make himself more like an adult, and she watched him, somewhat sadly.  When he had finished speaking, she stood and took a step towards him.  He was slightly shorter than she was, and she chuckled.

"Raven," she said. "I'm not going to cut you from this job, no matter you're experience."  She grinned. "Besides, this is going to be fun!  What's the fun in doing a job if you know it's going to be easy and you'll have no trouble at all?  If you're perfectly prepared for everything, you're never going to experience anything new!  So, what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter if you've don a hundred jobs like this or none, we're doing the job, and we're doing it together."   
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

The boy's eyes widened as Lorin started her speech, surprised.
In an instant, she did not only reassure him about his fears, but she also spurred him in doing that job, and just be himself. At the end, she was right, what was the fun in doing something you know you could be good in? It was way better to do something you almost never did before, she was right...

Who the hell was that woman, so clever and trustful? Besides all Raven's mistakes, in fact, she did not only still let him work with her, but she actually looked even happy about his attendance.

Fighting hardly against their tears, Raven's eyes stared deeply at the elf's ones, both thankful and clumsy. Her speech was worthy of a general, it would have inspired a whole legion of soldiers, and therefore the boy's chest was filled with proud and will to prove his valor.

Pushed by Lorin's words, Raven jumped toward the elf and, without trying anymore to seem more adult than he actually was, he hugged her with all his strength, touched.
Then, when he finally realized what he was actually doing, he quickly jumped back onto his feet and, trying to seem as emotionless as he could, he finally said:

"Thanks, I appreciate that... Now, shall we..." he said, pointing to the door and avoiding Lorin's eyes, embarrassed.

JackieCat

Raven seemed quite awed by her little speech, and Lorin was only slightly surprised by the hug, but she then hugged him back, until he abruptly pulled away.

She smiled, this kid really must have had an awful life.  "Sure, let's get something to eat."

After waiting for Raven, she stepped through the door and walked down the steps into the common room.  She sat down at a table and looked at the piece of paper on the table that listed the items that the inn had to serve.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

As they get to their table, Raven did the same Lorin was doing and took the paper he found onto the table, unaware of what could he found there so interesting.

He wasn't a fast reader, obviously, he actually never read anything but some notes and some lists, so he needed some moments before to understand what was that paper.
Hardly hiding his astonishment, his eyes started to jump from one exquisite dish to another one, incredulous.
He wasn't just going to have a real meal, but he actually could pick up whatever he wanted!

"Wow, that's so many things here..." he suddenly whispered, mostly talking to himself. Then, finally remembering he wasn't alone there, he looked up to Lorin and asked smiling:
"What are you going to take?". He was thinking to take the stew he was dreaming of since when he entered there, its smell was still torturing his little nose. Yet, he wanted to know what the elf was going to take, before to make his decision official. At the end, she was probably way more experienced than he was.

JackieCat

"Hmm," Lorin hummed as she scanned over the menu. "I've been here before, and I've had some of the things on the menu. . .  So. . .  I'll go with the spiced potatoes and stew." She looked up at Raven. "But you should pick whatever you like, everything is good here, in my experience."

As Lorin looked back to the menu, she wondered what Raven usually had to eat.  From how it sounded, his master wasn't a very nice person, considering he seemed quite amazed at the plain bedroom that they had been given here, and how afraid he had seemed earlier today.

"Do you drink?" she asked Raven, looking back up at him.  She didn't say weather she did or not, she wanted to know the truth, and not have him be influenced by what she did.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

Raven's eyes glared joyfully as the elf revealed his order. If a so-experienced lady ordered the stew, saying it was good, he simply couldn't order anything else.

"Wonderful, I was going to pick the same things!" he said putting down the menu and looking around to find who was going to pick their orders.
Then, hearing Lorin's question, he quickly answered excited; he won't miss such a wonderful chance to finally taste the flavor of a good ale.
"Of course, I'll take an ale, and you?".

Another man near them had just ordered a huge, tempting wooden mug full of that golden, sparkly, refreshing liquid. Raven had heard lot of stories about that drink, they told him it was a sort of potion, something that could intoxicate and make you feel more confident, other said it could let you speak more freely, somebody even said it could make you even stronger and more skilled.
He didn't know what kind of effect it could have on him, but he surely wanted to try that mystic experience once in his life.

JackieCat

Lorin wondered if he really had had ale before, but she nodded.  "Me too," she said, and at that moment the barmaid came over.

"Are you ready to order?" she asked, smiling, and Lorin nodded, stating what she'd have.  "What about you?" the barmaid looked over to Raven.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

"The same as her, thanks..." he said, eagerly waiting for his meal to reach his table.

When the barmaid left them all alone, however, and a deep silent dropped onto the table, Raven raised his eyes toward Lorin, quickly trying to find something to talk about.
He wasn't used at all to that kind of situations, he usually had his meal all by himself or with his mates, and when this happened, no one ever wanted to talk at all.

"So... what about you, where are you from?" he finally asked, finding anything but that simple question to try to break the ice.

JackieCat

Unlike Raven, the silence wasn't awkward to Lorin, but she smiled at the boy's attempt at conversation.

"I was born in Selevea, Serendipity," the elf said.  "I was abandoned by my parents at a workhouse when I was born.   I ran away when I was seven, and have been working like this since then."

Lorin wasn't hesitant to talk about her past, she wasn't ashamed of it, and it held no really bad memories, after all she had never known her parents, and while she had been sometimes overworked in the workhouse, she wasn't bitter about it.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

A dark cloud covered Raven's eyes as he heard about Lorin's past.
"Well, that sounds pretty familiar..." he was upset by her words, he couldn't believe such kind of things could be so common; what the hell was wrong with that damn world? Why people gave birth to their sons, just to sell or abandon them after just a few years?

Another deep silence filled the space between the two of them, even more embarrassing and unpleasant than before; but Raven wasn't in the mood to try to start again the conversation.

Luckily, after just a few seconds, the barmaid came to their table bringing with him their ales, just what the boy needed to dissolve that fog of sadness around him.
"Thanks man!" he said smiling happily; those bad memories won't have ruined that memorable moment, and he couldn't wait anymore for it.
Therefore, acting as the people he had seen in taverns during his life, he raised the heavy mug and, looking Lorin straight into her emerald eyes with a sincere smile, he simply said excited:
"Cheers!" 

JackieCat

Lorin was debating whether or not to ask Raven about his past when the barmaid returned with their drinks, Lorin thanked the woman as she took hers.

She looked back to Raven as the barmaid walked away, and she smiled at the boy's enthusiasm.  She raised her drink up to his before bringing back to her mouth to take a long pull of the beverage.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

After the toast, Raven looked yearning at the mug in his hands, almost scared, before to finally find the courage to bring it to his mouth.
As the soft foam touched his lips, he suddenly felt its bubbles tickling on it, and a slightly bitter flavor quickly reached his tongue.
It was strange, different from anything else he had ever tasted, and... it wasn't sure he liked it, but it had to, every man had to drink at least an ale while dining, he couldn't act anymore as a child.

Trying to hide his inner fight, Raven finally immersed in his ale and took a deep sip of it, keeping the liquid into his mouth for a while, before to swallow it.
It was the strangest sensation he had ever felt, all that sparkling in his mouth was both unpleasant and funny, and the flavor he had only tested before was now stronger and bitter in his mouth.

And then, Raven finally found the courage to swallow it, and suddenly all his throat was tickled by the sparkling drink, that bitter flavor quickly reached his stomach, rumbling in it wildly and filling his eyes with tears. Suddenly, all the air he had just swallowed raised again from his stomach, quickly flying through his throat and filling his mouth.
It was hard for the boy not to burp in surprise, but he somehow managed to stop the air just puffing up his cheeks, letting just a feeble blow to come out without making any noise.

Putting down the mug, he finally let the air trapped into his mouth out with a deep breath, relieved for how he behaved. Then, finally noticing the silence had once again fallen between them, he quickly said to the elf, trying to act as all he had just experienced was just nothing but normality:
"Pretty good, isn't it?".

JackieCat

Lorin had to fight from bursting out laughing at Raven's response to the drink as she swallowed her own mouthful, barely even noticing the sensation or flavor of the drink.

"I like it," she said, her eye twinkling.  "But not all do.  I've even met a dwarf who didn't like ale!  Who would've thought?"

While she had really met that strange dwarf, she mostly just wanted to show Raven that it was okay not to like the drink, especially after a first time.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

Raven felt relieved hearing Lorin's words; so, it wasn't so strange he didn't found it as good as he thought. However, more than that reassuring words, the following tale catch up his attention, making his eyes widening from the surprise.

"What, really, you meet a dwarf?". Then, realizing how stupid he could seem to be surprised by such a stupid thing, he quickly added:
"I mean, a dwarf who didn't like ale? I thought it was impossible!". Without thinking about it, Raven drank another small sip of his ale, quickly regretting about it as other invisible tears sparkled in his eyes.

"And..." he had to stop for a moment, another burp was fighting to come out from his throat. "... where did you met him?".

JackieCat

"Yep," Lorin nodded as Raven asked about the dwarf, and it crossed her mind that not everyone got around as much as she did.

"It was in a tavern in Zantaric, actually," she said.  "I met him after I helped him out of a fight where a couple of thugs were beating him up and trying to steal his money.  After, we went to a tavern, and he said he didn't like ale, or even alcohol in general.  I thought this was strange, but, hey," she held up her hands, smiling, "who am I to judge him?  Just 'cause he's a dwarf doesn't mean he has to conform to the stereotypical dwarf image."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

"Well, I guess you're right..." actually, Raven did think every dwarf was as he heard about, since he never met one in his life, but Lorin's words seemed to be reasonably right.

"Wow, it seems like you've had an adventurous life, isn't it?" after another small sip of his ale, Raven was starting to get used to that bitter flavor in his mouth, and even if he didn't like it so much, he could manage to finish it; he would never waste something he had paid for.

"So, tell me, what is this place, Zantaric? I've never heard about it before..." actually, he barely heard about all the world but Adela, so he couldn't lose such a wonderful chance to hear wonderful tales about those far places he always just dreamt about.

JackieCat

"I suppose," Lorin said, shrugging.  At that moment the waitress returned with their food.  She set down a large bowl of steaming stew and a plate of spiced potatoes in front of Lorin, and placed an identical dish in front of Raven.

As she walked away Lorin turned back to Raven.  "Zantaric," she said.  "Well, to start, it's located just outside of Adela, kind of near the mountains, and it's a pretty. . . well, interesting place.  It's the place where criminals go, basically, and not just thieves and people who cheat at cards, but there are some pretty bad people there.  There's no government, so nobody cares about what you do there unless it hurts them specifically.  All kinds of criminals gather there, from murderers to mages practicing dark arts to merchants looking to secure a shady business deal.  You really have to watch your back there, there's no guarantee that someone won't walk up behind you and stab you in the back just to gather the few coins out of your pocket, or because they want your boots or you sword."

The elf paused to take a bite of her meal stew.  When she swallowed she smiled at Raven.  "This is really good, it always is here!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

FlowyWolf

Raven's eyes rejoiced seeing that wonderful, steaming bowl the waitress just brought to their table, and his stomach growled in ecstasy for the meal it was going to finally taste.
However, the boy's eyes darkened again quickly, hearing Lorin's tale about Zantaric. Of course, he didn't know anything about that place, nothing but some stupid voices about it, but hearing such a description from someone who actually went there was terrifying.
He used to spend a lot of time dreaming about the day when he would have run away from Adela, visited all kind of places and he had been finally free. But hearing how the world outside of Adela could be, he wasn't sure anymore that was a good idea.

Drinking another little sip of his ale and focusing on that tasty stew, however, he said to himself he didn't have to worry about it, at least not for the moment. Then, after hearing Lorin's appreciation about their meal, he slowly took too a bite of it, trying to enjoy every single moment of it.

But as the meat entered into his mouth, and all that spicy, creamy taste spread all over his tongue, he got speechless. It was the most incredible thing he had ever tasted, every single time his teeth cut the meat in smaller pieces, a new wave of flavor filled his mouth, tickling joyfully his papilla, and when he finally swallowed it down his throat, all that wonderful tasted spread until his stomach, heating pleasantly all his body.

"That's... that's the best thing I've ever eaten!" he finally said, without caring anymore about seeming more adult than he actually was and taking quickly another bite of his stew.