Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Man and his Blob (Prythian)

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2010, 11:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Killing was not an activity that a typical commoner needed to see, even if it was done in direct defense of his or her village. Nohx didn't like to make a spectacle of himself, and when his fellow villagers were concerned, having them rely on him for defense was not a desirable outcome; nor was having an entire village fearing him for being capable of murder.

Thus, when Nohx was having his daily argument with the village tanner—it started years ago with something about boots, neither of them can directly recall—he happened to spot a haggard duo on horseback, albeit some distance away. The tanner made some interesting remarks about Nohx's manhood as he left, but there was something important which required his attention.

Intercepting the treacherous cavalry did not take long, and one of them actually fled when Nohx made his presence known. Quickly, Nohx realized why this was: neither of them had been carrying weapons, as if the two of them had been sent out on something of a reconnaissance mission.

Any kind of leader that would send any two people out to scout a village without weapons was beyond Nohx, but alas, that was not his concern. Though the raiders on this side of the mountain did not dress in any kind of uniform, Nohx knew a raider when he saw one, and this meant that an incursion was being attempted. Enraged to no end, Nohx made his intentions with this man unequivocal.

"Get off of that horse! I want you to look me in the eyes and tell me why I shouldn't kill you."

Anonymous

"Presumably because that would be murder." Came a voice with no visible source. That was, of course, before a large mass of liquid metal seemingly poured down from the sky, hovering in a vaguely blobby shape. "Taking someone's life is one of the harshest things you can do, and not only that, it's just plain wrong." The voice, almost genderless though sounding more male than female, was filled with distaste.

Wraith had simply been flying along when he heard Nohx speak to the man on the horse, and Wraith didn't find threats very amusing... particularly not threats against someone's life. "Perhaps you should tell me why I shouldn't stop you from killing them?" He inquired, part of his mass bulging outwards and hardening into a sphere connected to the main mass by a liquid tendril.

"After all, if someone can threaten someone else's life because they're stronger and believe they have the right to do so, I can certainly threaten to stop them because I'm stronger and I believe I have the right to do so."

Anonymous

Being interrupted severely annoyed Nohx, and having accusations thrown around just rubbed salt in his rhetorical wounds. As far as Nohx was concerned, the man now standing before him was nothing but human garbage in severe need of being expunged. It didn't take long for Nohx to assume that the source of the odd-sounding voice was in cahoots with this raider, but such notions quickly evaporated when the source appeared to be nothing more than a free-flying mass of silver goo. No raider could conjure such a creature, and such things were not indigenous to Adela, Nohx would surely have seen at least one if they were.

"Just who...or what...the hell do you think..."

Nohx was having much difficulty processing that which was before him. A flying mass of silver had just scolded him, and made wild assumptions based only on what it could plainly see. Obviously, an intelligent and well-balanced...person could take one look at the obviously dubious raider and discern his purpose in mere moments!

At the very least, Nohx assumed that would be the case, as he couldn't imagine this person being seen any other way. With that in mind, Nohx still had a difficult time figuring out just how to speak to it. There were no eyes to glare into, nor any feet to push back—not even a jaw Nohx could threaten to break!

"Listen up, you...you! This man is a killer! You can't just...float around, trying to order people around! You're not even solid!"

Without missing a beat, the raider had managed to catch on quite quickly, and making an escape attempt this early would likely to be counteractive—he knew how to handle these kinds of delicate situations. If he played his cards right, this lone raider could very well twist the two against each other until a silent getaway could be accomplished.

"N-no! I'm just...a simple farmer! I lost one of my...sheep, and I rode out to search for it when this man stepped out and threatened my life!"

Anonymous

"Does solidity mean so much to those of you bound to the ground...?" Wraith murmured, amused. "If he is a killer, then certainly your actions are warranted. If you cannot prove that he is a killer, then I will insist you let him go." Then he turned his attention to the man on the horse. "As for you, lying does not help your cause. I have seen no such sheep while flying above, and simple farmers cannot usually acquire horses in my experience."

"Now, if you wish for me to be solid, and by that I'll take it you at least wish me to appear humanoid... then will this do?" Wraith landed, body shaping and sculpting itself. In a matter of moments, Wraith now appeared to be a human made entirely out of silver, with hardened skin and liquid metal only about the joints. Since there were only two models about, he had modeled himself after Nohx.

Wraith crossed his arms. "Prove your accusation, and you, 'simple farmer', I expect you to try and prove what sounded like a lie earlier to be the truth. Oh, and my name is Wraith."

Anonymous

A raider was pretending to be a farmer and a shape-shifting blob had become the land's unbiased moral compass; the world's order had been turned upside down, and was crumbling around Nohx's feet. Murder was not so important to him, but on the other hand Nohx was suddenly faced with the cleverest raider he had ever seen, and if he went back to camp they'd all be warned about Nohx's presence and would likely send in more than he alone could handle.

However, what stood before Nohx was somewhat more perplexing, and possibly a greater threat: the talking blob had just twisted itself into an almost perfect copy of Nohx, and had even indicated its own name. On the bright side, Nohx finally had eyes to glare at and a jaw to punch if he absolutely had to.

"What do I need to prove? Take a look at this guy! He's wearing leather armor, what kind of farmer needs protection like that?"

Arguing with himself wasn't something that Nohx thought the day would bring, but neither was having to kill an interloping raider—an intention that, along with his adrenaline, was slowly wearing off. As Nohx was being made to speak and think, the act of taking this man's life was becoming less of an option, though he still acknowledged that this person couldn't be allowed to return to his camp. While Nohx grumbled and kicked at the grass quietly, the raider became anxious, afraid that these two extremely strange people would come to an agreement. An idea occurred to him in his time of need.

"Y-yes I do! I'm wearing this, to protect myself...from you!"

With an outstretched arm and an accusing finger, the raider pointed rigidly at Nohx, wearing just enough fear on his face—it was real enough, just moments ago he genuinely thought that Nohx was going to kill him.

"You, him, he's a scourge of the...farming community! If you're a good judge of character, Wraith, you'll clearly see that he's the killer!"