Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All About Rain [Lion]

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2010, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Scarsly watched the newcomer with a grin. A good strong handshake he has, and apparently he can sing as well. What a capital fellow, he thought contently. He was rightly glad to have obtained this asset for the festival.

"It is tradition to hold this festival in the beginning of the fall," he answered loudly, waving off Arthur, who had seen some connections of his that lived in town, and moved away after giving Taladan an encouraging slap on his back. Scarsly waited until he had stepped away and then pointed at the musicians near the dance floor. "You can just tell them which tune to play whenever they've finished their old one and step in. They know pretty much everything there is to know. Or if you'd rather accompany yourself with a guitar or some other instrument, feel free to borrow it from one of them."

Scarsly stole two full pints of beer from a passing tray and handed one to Taladan. "Of course you can expect compensation. All your drinks tonight are for free and and the end of the evening you will receive a small reward. Sound alright?"

Lion

Most bards were content to bring their instruments with them wherever they went.  After a time, it had become their signature thing, something that marked them.  Some villagers would view down the road and point out, remarking, "Oh there goes that Dannis Arden with that there flute of his!  And a right good fellow he be!  HEY DANNIS!"  And if the bard was humble enough or knew the sociable villager or would simply deign to do so,  he would wave back or whistle a few notes for them.  Thank the gods that Taladan was not like most bards and almost never used an instrument during his performances.  Not that he could not pluck a few good notes on a guitar or mandolin if the notion contented him, but he was noted for his vocal exultations most of all and that was his primary instrument.  Which was most helpful since he often awoke in strange places and was bound to lose an item or two; such was how he ended up here after all.

"Thank you, sir," he said, taking the pint of beer and drinking it, allowing it to lubricate his vocal cords after a few sips.  "Sounds wonderful.  As soon as the song's over I'll go and meet up with the band.  Oh, look here, that's my cue.  I'll speak to you later.  It was good to meet you Mr. Scarsly.  And you, Captain, enjoy yourself!"

With that, Taladan found his way toward the stairs upon the stage where the band was playing.  As the song had come to an end, and the dancers were switching up or taking a rest, he met with the lead guitarist and spoke a few words to him.  "I'm Taladan Ewing."

"Ah!  I knew you'd be coming.  Floor's all yours, Mr. Ewing.  Er, what shall we play?"

"How about a good upbeat classic.  Tell the Tale Tomorrow,eh?  Keep it low and don't be afraid to go on without me."  As soon as he spoke, each member nodded to one another as they murmured the song and prepared it with a start.  The drums behind him made him jump, but he kept pace and spoke to everyone gathering on the floor: "All right, my friends, gather round and remember to kick your heels up high!  No tripping and feel free to trade partners once in a while!"

The crowd howled up in anticipation as the music begin in earnest and they all started to clap their hands and he started with the first verse, feeling the rhythm of the music all through him.

"I once threw a maiden down Olsen's Well,
Deep in the heart of the Draconi swell.
She did not cry and she did not die
An old broken witch with an itch for a switch

"Her dignity I have taken with me
And an oath I have sworn not to tell
The tale of her demise between her thighs
As she was thrown down into Olsen's Well!"

Taladan's voice was somber until the beat started to pick up and the wind instruments went wild.

"But now that it's tomorrow
And I feel no more sorrow.
Oh what a wild tale I have to tell,
Though I'm sure someday,
When my breath's gone away,
And I've given my tale's tell,
I'll see her in hell.

"But until then she'll wait,
And I'll enjoy my fate.
And I'll ride the wind,
In a chorus of sins.
Wailing on high, the tale of her demise
And I'll rise and I'll fall until death's due us all!"

It was such a bawdy song, but the crowd danced to it fervently, giving great cheer every time he entered into a new verse, as if electrified more with the force of his voice than with the content of the song.  The band too played as if with new energy, as if they'd once been too tired to go on but now could play well into the morning of the next day.  Taladan relished in that energy, relished in that glow, basking in it until the final words danced from his tongue like vociferous gold.  Thus was a reminder as to why he'd become a bard at all, living for the feel as the song came to an end, when all the dancers put their last efforts into riding the waves of the melodial sea.  As the last verse reared its truly ugly head, Taladan gave a sigh and bowed deeply as the dancers came to a rest.  They clapped feverishly and he gave multiple bows after that, his eyes scanning the crowd for a familiar face, any face.  Then his eyes rested on Evadne and he smiled.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Evadne had been sitting in a large stack of hay that was dumped for precisely that occasion in the corner of the tent, when Taladan ascended the small podium and gathered all the festival goers right before him. The girl rolled her eyes and pulled her knees up, taking a large swig of the beer. The man seemed to have a talent to make people like him. Averting her eyes, Evadne swooped up the foam on the beer with a finger and put it in her mouth, wondering what else Taladan would have to offer but charm and a seemingly unyielding stubbornness to win her over.

... she couldn't say she was disappointed.

Evadne swallowed, forgetting her beer while she listened to Taladan's voice, and even though she hated dancing she felt the need to get up and join the people already dancing vigorously. She oppressed it, staring at the singer, whose unique vocals were chocolate to her ears. Impossible! Evadne thought. He already made it so hard for her to keep denying him, why would he have to gain more terrain this way?! She shouldn't let him. And yet she couldn't help but listen in fascination, relentlessly looking at the bard, who seemed to be singing straight from his heart.

When finally, the song ended, Evadne felt like a rope around her neck had just been loosened, and she was cut from the noose. The pint of beer was almost overflowing in its tilted position in Evadne's limp hand, and she straightened it before she spilled it all on her pants. Then she stood up and leaned against a large beam that kept the tent standing upright.

Then, Taladan's gaze somehow found hers, even though she was in the unlit, dark part of the tent, almost all the way in the back. A tiny shock wave went through her, and Evadne blushed when she felt herself smile.

Lion

It was like a distant call or telepathic summoning.  Taladan hadn't watched her plunk down into the shade of the tent corner.  It must have been one itchy seat, digression and temperament aside.  Taladan lounged in the roar of applause when the song was finally over and he was catching his breath.  He felt her smile and grinned wider with satisfaction.  He knew it was only a matter of time before he started to chip away at her hardy, stone exterior.  Nobody could be that rigid and expect to last that long.  He had to give her respect for her diligence however, no one ever tried to thwart him for that long.

"Thank you!  Thank you all!  You're a lovely audience all of you.  Say, why don't we switch to a softer melody, folks?  A good ole romantic ballad.  How about 'Moonlit Morning', huh?"  he said, viewing the festival goers.  They roared again and he turned took an instrument behind him, a beaten and scratched guitar that was worn with extensive use.  "Aye, this will do."  He began the opening strum, a softer, swaying strum as he began to hum the tune to himself at first, then louder as the other instruments caught up.

"I wandered in the woodland,
Until midnight.
I wandered through the streams,
With no end in sight."

Another series of strums and Taladan swayed along with it.

"Then in the blinding darkness,
The shadows all surround,
I saw the morning light come to me
Without sight nor sound.

"Your hair and eyes were brought, at last
To the glory and rising of day.
I knew not if I was worthy of all
The love that had come my way"

By now, the crowd had paired off and were turning with somber motion, heads laid upon shoulders, both the men and the women smiling or blushing or reminiscing in each other's eyes.  Others hugged each other closely, others proclaiming their affections for the first time.  It was a glorious sight and Taladan felt a warmth rush through him that made him happier than he'd felt in a long time.  As he strummed his last part, he nodded to the band to keep playing as he  jumped down into the crowd from the podium and pushed through it, the distinct urge to dance himself pushing strongly outward.  He moved deftly until he fell upon his destination.  He looked at Evadne with his signature friendly grin.  "Would you like to dance with me, Evadne?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

As Taladan set to sing a slower song, Evadne spotted her father amongst the dancing couples with an unfamiliar woman in his arms. She stared at him for a moment and caught his gaze. Arthur winked at her and gestured for her to find a partner too. Fiercely, Evadne shook her head and looked away. That would be the last thing she'd ever do. It wasn't just dancing, it was SLOW dancing, and that was somewhat of her worst nightmare.

Already making up her mind to leave, she downed the last of her beer and put aside the pint, swaying lightly on her feet. Just when she realised Taladan had stopped singing, he appeared in front of her eyes. Evadne blinked at his request, staring at the grin that was almost permanently in place. Everything inside of her screamed rejection, but when her mouth opened the opposite came out.

"Alright," Evadne blurted before she could stop herself, and instantly cringed. "That's not what I-- oh brother." She rubbed her eyes for a moment, knowing she wouldn't be able to talk herself out of this. "Fine, I'll dance with you, but I'm not good at it," she hissed at him to hide her embarrassment. She could only hope he was a slightly better dancer than her, so that she could at least pretend to be good at it.

Lion

Within simplicity of heart generally came simplicity of motive.  Devious people did devious things because their hearts were in it.  If a person wanted to prove their truest motives, then that only could be done through their actions.  Taladan's heart was usually a simple one and his only motive in life was to be happy and to live in that happiness for as long as possible.  Obviously life was not meant to be fair to anyone, but when life threw bricks at him, he'd build a brick oven.  If he could find ways to make himself happy, then why shouldn't he help bring other people out of their cracked shells to find the light in trepid moments.

Taladan laughed at Evadne's word fumble, something he found she had a bad habit of doing often while in his presence.  He couldn't blame her, she was too closed in to do anything but when approached like this as far as he could tell.  He put her arm in his and dragged her out to the dance floor.  "Don't be so uptight, friend.  It's just a dance!  Relax.  You can afford to let loose at least a little bit you know.  You don't have to be good.  Just follow me okay?"  Taladan led her through a simple sway and let himself follow the band's tune.

"See?  Not so hard then.  Just listen to the music and you'll find you're better than you think you really are.  Don't look at the other people.  See, even they aren't even looking at us.  It's just a dance, nothing but a dance."  Taladan relaxed too, even after standing for such a long time.  As long as he didn't say anything stupid, maybe she would stop being so uptight.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne couldn't believe how nervous she was in the beginning. At first she couldn't figure out what it was what made her like that; could be the dancing, could be the other people around them, could be her dance partner. But he was just too close. Evadne swallowed and spent the first few minutes looking mainly at her feet, hoping she wouldn't step on his or make any other embarrassing blunder with him around. He'd probably never let her forget about it. Then his voice streamed in her ears again, and oddly she started feeling slightly more at ease. Finally, she dared to look at him instead of at her feet, and found that he was rather good a leader.

"Err... You're a good singer," Evadne said, swallowing half of her words. But she just had to break the silence. It didn't look like it was an awkward one from his side, but it was quite the opposite the other way around. Plus, if Thayer saw her like this, he'd probably not look at her for the rest of the evening. He didn't even bother asking her to dance anymore, because he knew what her answer would always be.

"And I'm sorry I'm not a very good dancer," Evadne added hastily, avoiding Taladan's gaze.

Lion

"Thanks.  But it's nothing more than a talent, really.  I don't even remember when I first started singing.  I don't know if you know this, but anybody can sing if they wanted to.  Just have to keep at it.  No such thing as being unable to sing," Taladan replied.  He knew the smooth steps to this song by heart and would let the band finish it out without him having to sing the last verse.  The crowd moved with him, along the waves that he'd already put out into the air.

A grin and nod half a second later allowed Taladan to keep his humor.  "You're worrying too much.  You should dance more often.  You're not that bad, I don't think.  You know, the more you do something the better you get at it.  Like running or riding horses.  I'm terrible at riding really, but I try.  You keep dancing, you'll be the best dancer in town.  What do you think about that?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne found herself grinning. "I highly doubt that," she replied. "I'm too clumsy for something as dancing. I do better with horse riding. Did you get along okay with Romeo?"

The horse wasn't too fond of strangers, but neither was she. And somehow, Taladan had managed to put a spell on her. It couldn't be much harder to put a spell on a horse, could it?

Arthur and his partner swayed by, and he patted Evadne's shoulder in the passing. "I'm proud of you, little girl," he said with a meaningful wink. "It's a good match."

Evadne instantly looked away from him, blushing heavily. It was almost impossible for Taladan not to hear what her father had said. Thanks dad, she thought sarcastically, wanting nothing more than to run from the festival right here and now.

Lion

If only he'd come from a sheltered life, he might be able to understand exactly why she was so closed to other people.  Taladan wanted to understand her, almost as determined as she was to shut him out.  It was only natural to be on the defensive around strangers.  He kept the conversation going naturally.  "If by get along you mean he didn't buck me off, then yes!  We got along like old veteran chaps."

Taladan did hear the words spoken by the old Captain and couldn't help a knowing smirk himself.  "We're a good match for a pair of friends, I'd say is what he really means," Taladan said quickly, trying to make up for what Arthur said though he knew she would know him better than he did and no doubt meant something deeper than friends.

He leaned in playfully and pecked her cheek quickly, laughing as he pulled away.  "No need to blush.  You're a very pretty girl, as I told you before."

The song was going to enter its closing bars soon and Taladan continued to glide along gracefully, ignoring the world outside he and his partner until he was tapped on the shoulder.  The fellow that tried to get his attention seemed to have trouble standing on his feet but he looked very irritated.  Taladan looked at him until he realized it was Thayer,  a little before a fist came flying into his peripherals, an explosion rang in his ears, and he was on the ground, holding his jaw.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne mumbled something unintelligible at Taladan's failed attempt to interpret her father, knowing full well what exactly he had been meaning to say. She hated how the bard had managed to turn her father to the opposite side of his own character. Before, Arthur had never once commented on her aversion towards men and relationships, never once had he tried to steer her into that direction. And now he was encouraging her, and Taladan, instead of looking at them with a wary gaze as she had expected him to.

She blushed even more when his face came even closer for a moment, and didn't dare breathe until he was on a safer distance again. Simultaneously she realised his scent was still intoxicating. Evadne swallowed, looking away from him, awfully aware of the warm hand on her back. From the corner of her eyes she could see Thayer moving by, but she had not the concentration to focus on him. That was, until his hand landed on Taladan's shoulder. Evadne stared at him, wondering what he was doing, but in her gut she already felt this was not going to end well. And it didn't.

In absolute horror, she was forced to watch how Thayer's fist collided with Taladan's jaw, sending him staggering backwards and falling on the dusty floor.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Evadne yelled, completely flabbergasted. Before Thayer could throw himself at Taladan again, she stepped in before him and pushed him away as hard as she could, right into the crowd. "Are you out of your mind, Thayer?!"

It was a useless question, because obviously he was. Out of breath, Evadne crouched next to Taladan, shame and embarrassment written all over her face.

Lion

Thayer staggered into the three couples behind him.  They caught him and pushed him back.  The motion caused him to trip over his own feet and soon he was on the floor too, trying all too quickly to make himself stand up again.  He held himself upright, his tan face red in anger.  "You don't even know this guy, Eva!  I've known you for years and he's the one you danced with?  A total stranger!?  What the hell are you getting at, broad!"

When Taladan stood he glanced at Evadne and nodded some reassurance to her once he got the total scope of what was going on.  He shook his head and stepped back this time when Thayer lunged at him again.  For a drunk man, he had pretty good aim, he had to give him that much.  "Hold on there, man.  Can't we talk this out?"  He said, holding his hands up defensively.

"Ain't no talking to be had with the likes o' you, mister!"  Thayer snarled and threw another several punches at Taladan.  Only the last one made its mark across his face, though it had much less power in it than the very first one.  Taladan was quick to counter back, striking him squarely in the gut and watched as all the air flew out of Thayer's lungs in a violent breath.  The drunk leaned backwards and was caught by the group behind him.  He did not keep up the assault and stood by Evadne.

"There may be  nothing to be said...  But at least there's something to be done, " he said before he took hold of Evadne and pressed his mouth hard to hers in front of the jealous drunkard.  By the time he released her, the song was already over and the commotion had captured the attention of Will Scarsly who lingered nearby.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Thayer was a man gone mad. Of course, the alcohol had something to do with it, but still the fact remained that he was much more into her than Evadne had ever suspected. She always thought he liked advertising that she was his friend or something, proud to be the only man she allowed near her. And now there was another man that had more or less forced himself near her. Evadne felt rather desperate. Thayer was mad at her, not at Taladan, and she was the one he should be throwing punches at. She wasn't sure how she was ever going to make it up to the bard, even though he seemed quite able to handle himself. But then something completely unexpected happened.

Evadne felt Taladan's arm slide around her, protectively she thought at first. Then his face rapidly approached hers, and she didn't realise what he was doing until he was already doing it.

He was kissing her.

Completely baffled, Evadne had no idea what to do. But it was over as suddenly as it had began. An awful silence flew the previously cheerful crowd to its throat, and replaced the happy chattering with confused and fascinated murmuring. Thayer's face was horrified, delicately put. Evadne stared at Taladan. Then she turned on the spot and marched out of the tent. Her father tried to catch her arm in her passing, but she yanked it free and kept on walking.

Outside, it had started to rain again. Evadne was grateful for it. At least no one could see her tears this way. She couldn't even remember the last time she cried. In spite of her blurry vision, she spotted Romeo tied up with the other horses. When she reached him he pushed his nose against her shoulder, invoking even more tears. With trembling hands, she tried to untie his reins.

Lion

Within minutes, Scarsly took care of it and Thayer was swiftly apprehended under the charge of disturbing other people from having a good time.  A festive festival was anything but peaceful.  After being dragged away, the bard crossed his arms over his chest and sighed with a breathe of someone who knew that it was the only just result out of being attacked.  His face was still quite sore where he had been struck, but he had gotten to the point where he got punched often enough to know how to deal with it.  He spat a bloody wad onto the ground, the inside of his mouth had been cut by this teeth and rubbed his jaw.  It was only then did he realize that the space beside him was recently vacated.

Where did she go?  She was only there a minute ago.  He saw Arthur near them and locked eyes with the man before he nodded a silent assent.  Taladan stalked out of the large tent and followed where he figured Evadne was most likely to be.  The horses were in a ruckus due to an interruption of their nighttime meditation.  And it was there he saw her struggling with the reins of her designated mount.

He approached her with caution, pushing away his straggly hair that was disturbed from the rain.  "Evadne, I'm sorry for hitting your friend, Thayer.  I didn't want to fight him.  If you're upset about that, please understand that I was only defending myself.  Um...are you okay?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Romeo whinnied and Evadne jumped, when Taladan approached through a curtain of rain. She tried to keep her focus on untying her horse's reins while he spoke, but failed miserably. She froze in her movements at his apology, and cringed. He thought she was upset because of THAT?! He should know her better than that by now. And apparently kissing random women came easily to him, so she would be the laughing stock of the evening. Trying for the reins one more time, she yanked them hard, but it only resulted in tightening them even further.

"No, I am NOT okay!" she snarled furiously at Taladan instead. "Do you think it's okay to kiss me whenever the hell you see fit? Do you really think that would have solved anything? Thayer out there was already seriously upset by me, and I'm not saying he didn't get what he deserved from you, but with that last move you may just cost me my only friend."

Invisible tears still streaming down her face, Evadne pushed Romeo out of the way and positioned herself squarely in front of Taladan, her arms defensively wrapped around herself. "Now TELL me why you kissed me. Was it only because you wanted to humiliate Thayer a little more? Just to make a statement?"

She never looked away from him, her eyes locked on his. "You know how I feel about these things. And you better think on your answer very hard, Taladan... it may just define the course of your stay here in town."

Lion

The anticipation of waiting for her reply was a little like standing with your face over a hot spring geyser and waiting for it to explode into your face.  And when that happened, Taladan's face was definitely got burned.  He listened to everything she had to stay, stepping back to give her some kind of distance so that she could find something to give herself her bearings again.  He kept his eyes calm and said nothing to interrupt her.

Solemnity wrapped around his visage and he sighed and looked at her directly.  "The truth is not always an easy thing to figure.  But it is if that's what you really want.  Humiliating Thayer was only a bonus from all that.  But I believe after everything he learned his lesson.  In truth, I was in the moment and it felt right to kiss you.  I like you a lot Evadne, you're fascinating to me and I want to know everything you want to share with me.  I'm not trying to be an asshole, though I'm sure I come off that way on occasion.

"I really like you, I swear to it.  I'm sorry if I hurt you, humiliated you, or made you feel so bad and upset.  You're not accustomed to it, I know and I'll find some way to make it up to you.  Could you ever forgive me?"  Taladan took an opportunity and took a step forward for now, ready to take the brunt of her anger in whatever form that was about to take.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne blinked, wondering if she was dreaming. Most of his speech was pushed to the background, a muffled voice fearing its own humiliation. All she really heard clearly was the part where it felt right to kiss her and that he really liked her. Taladan Ewing likes ME?! was Evadne's baffled thought as the phrases resounded in her head. She swallowed, waiting until he was done talking before she placed her hand over his heart.

"I suppose I could forgive you," she said quietly, her cheeks reddening. Oh, it was so easy to lose herself after Taladan's confession. Evadne felt her legs were trembling, and she looked up at him. Perhaps it was his entire persona that was so easy to submit to. A tiny idea started to nestle itself in Evadne's brain, and as it got bigger the romance of the moment and her own long awaited submission started slipping away. Quickly, she stepped back, and pulled back her hand.

"Who knows to how many women you've said that," she said with a sharp edge to her voice. "And who knows how many have fallen for it. I have no intention of becoming one of them, waiting for you, hoping in vain that you'll find a little time to spend with me after you've worked your way down the list of all others."

Lion

There he was displaying his heart on his sleeve, spoke what he really felt, what he was sure she wanted from him, and then she grabbed a knife and dug it soundly into it.  He was taken aback by her last words and looked away sighing that she had a point in what she meant, even if she was pretty much wrong.  Most men were hardly serious when it came to moments like this.  All he had wanted from the very start of his arrival here was for her to stop being so cold-shouldered to him, to at least display some kind of friendly, open emotion that was not so guarded.

But he reacted coolly to her words and put his hands on his hips, laughing away his worry.  "The truth is not as many as you think.  You seem to have this illusion that because I am a bard, or even just a man, that I go around seducing women left and right.  Why would you think such a thing about me?  I've only ever been kind to you, treated you with respect, and wanted your friendship in return, or at least a kind word from you.  But you can't even seem to muster that.  I tell you the truth and you're disillusioned with it.

"Fine, you don't have to be nice to me, because I can clearly see that you'll always be closed in and unhappy because of it.  Even if you think you are happy, I get some sense that a part of you isn't.  Why do you scorn me?  How did I wrong you?  I told you I was sorry, gave you a sincerest apology for it and all you can take me for is some kind of trickster.  I'm not going to argue with you.  I'll respect your right to your opinion and thoughts, and I'll have a right to my feelings and words."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The words Taladan spoke were a little like an avalanche of boulders crashing down on Evadne. The more he said, the less she was able to actually look at him, and instead she turned to meekly pat Romeo. Why did this weigh so heavy on her shoulders?

"Okay okay, just... stop talking," she stammered, burying her face in Romeo's manes. Somehow she knew she could trust Taladan, that she should trust him. In the long years she'd known Thayer, Evadne had never let him get as close as she had the bard, and that was saying a lot. Her hands clutched at the black manes, causing the steed to huff at her irritably.

"It's just.. you said something about women earlier this week, about..."

Evadne paused, stepping away from Romeo and a little closer towards Taladan. "It doesn't even matter what it's about. I just can't grasp the idea that you might actually like me." Her violet eyes looked up in his green ones as she approached him.

"I'm sorry, alright?" she added softly. "It was brave what you did. I wouldn't want to tell me things like that either." There was a tiny twinkle in her eyes when she said that, and in a sudden burst of courage she took one more step towards him, now standing two feet away from him at the most. "And then there's this other thing [alliteration ftw O_O]... that I'm probably afraid to admit that I might be having similar feelings."

Embarrassed with herself, Evadne looked down at her feet, not sure if her trembling knees were caused by her sudden openness, or by the cold rain soaking her clothes.

Lion

Romeo was quickly becoming bored with the whole situation, quite clearly and he shifted in such a manner that he almost wanted to pull away from Evadne all the while she clung to him.  Taladan cross his arms over his chest and kept them there as he was starting to feel the coolness from the rain seep into his bones.  Tilting his head, he listened to her with open, thoughtful ears.

When she finished, stepping towards him, he let a grin slip from his lips, wry and looking pleased.  "I accept your apology.  Do you accept mine?  You know, you're a better person than you give yourself credit for.  Take things easy sometimes and you'll never know what kind of things could happen to you."

"Oh that?  Well that's a relief.  I hope you're not just saying that because I said I liked you first.  I don't want it to be a forced thing; it should never be.  Why don't we call it a truce now, huh?  Just get to know each other better and see if anything happens from there.  Even though I stayed here for the better part of a week, I don't think I've known you better than when I first met you considering you were so keen on giving me the cold shoulder.  Look, we're both cold and wet, why don't we get back to the festival.  Or at the very least, let me take you back to your house?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn