Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To explore, perhaps to discover (Rowan and Brisinger987)

Started by Rowan Archer, October 28, 2013, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan Archer

"We've been flying in circles for most of the day", Aini complained. She turned her head so that one eye looked at her human partner strapped into the saddle on her back. "We should take a break. I can do this for much longer, but you are getting tired."
Rowan looked away from the concerned eyes of her dragon. Aini was right. She was tired. But she had to come out here, had to check to see if there was any truth to the rumor Rowan had heard from some Knights in Ketra- that Rowan had been found in this area, naked and feral. Rowan had no memories before she was seven years old, so she couldn't disprove the story. But, if there was a chance she had come from here... maybe if she explored a bit, she'd find something. In any case, nothing could be gained if they did not rest.
"All right Aini..."
As the wyvern began her descent into the Thunderblacks, Rowan watched as the sun began to set behind the mountains. It was going to be a cold night.

Brisinger987

Despite Veraxitoc saying that he wouldn't go back to Dragontop Mountain, his need for a retreat from the colony for a few days urgent and unignorable. So, he slept during the days, following the tradition of his people.

Following the tradition he and Loreiaka had tried so hard to uphold. The tradition he was forced to destroy.

He awoke at sunset, but he couldn't get his ancient body to move until the moon was clear over the horizon. As was custom for him in tradition. When he did get up, he felt energy like no other. He felt young again. He smiled at the euphoric feeling of stupidity and impulse, and decided he would have his fun.

He decided he felt like scaled meat for breakfast, and that meant finding one of the local wyvern species who weren't sentient.

So when he spotted one mid flight, he did the signature dive of his people, spinning to unleash the fullness of his spinning scream, and dove at Aini, who was asleep.

And he landed straight on top of her.

Impulse told him to toy with confused and dazed prey, and so he did, ready to fight if the Wyvern got back up. Gods he felt young again.

He decided to repeat a line his people used to use to imbue terror into prey. It was a magical incantation, designed to terrify and invoke the fear in prey.

"We are that of the Darkness of night. Harbingers of shadow and the dead. We are demons. We are gods. We are Shadow... Look upon me..." The illusion created in front of Aini was a simple perception illusion, that should show her the image of her worst nightmares incarnate. If not, the spell's failsafe was a rabbit.

A pink rabbit.

Rowan Archer

Aini jolted awake as something slammed into her. "Rowan!", she screamed as she swiveled her head to see her assailant... a pink rabbit. A really heavy rabbit.
Rowan sprung up from her pallet. Where Aini saw the rabbit, she saw the dragon. She ran toward her trapped friend, stopping about ten feet away from them. Quickly she thrust her bare hands to the earth, her natural ability causing a sharp spine of rock to jut from the ground next her Wyvern.
As she'd hoped, Aini used the moment of confusion to slip out from under the bigger dragon and return to Rowan. The two of them squared off with the intruder. "Who are you?"

Brisinger987

"DAMMIT!" Veraxitoc dispelled the illusion, annoyed that his prey was part of a dragon rider pair. His impulse had always been off. He'd thought he could fight Loreiaka to choose whether they should enter a relationship, and he had lost, because he had acted on impulse entering the fight then and there.

"I'm so sorry... I thought you were part of the local feral wyvern species... I really am sorry..." Veraxitoc apologised as deeply as he could, although his newfound sense of youth made him feel he was excused from apologising properly. He was two thousand years old for the angsar's sake. He could do as he pleased.

Rowan Archer

"If you're sorry, you can start by telling us who you are", Aini snapped. "Shut up", whispered Rowan, " He can still choose to eat us."

Brisinger987

"I'm Veraxitoc." The answer was rather sheepish, considering the speaker was 2000 years old, and had been behaving like a 10 year old. There was no excuse, but the part of Veraxitoc that had never wanted to grow up hadn't died like he thought. Instead of sitting and greeting them formally, he just started sniffing the other dragon on impulse.

"And don't worry, I won't eat you." Veraxitoc's hearing had grown over the last 2000 years, despite spending about 1800 years of it asleep.

Rowan Archer

Rowan relaxed a little, but Aini still glowered at Veraxitoc.
"I'm Rowan, a Dragonrider. And this", she said, laying a hand on Aini's black scales, "is Aini." At her words, Aini rolled her eyes and settled on the ground. She had no intention to trusting the older dragon, but Rowan was sometimes too trusting. Especially when her curiosity about her origins were concerned. The whole reason the two were in this area is because Rowan had been told she had been found in this part of the mountains.
Rowan continued speaking, "Do you live in this area?"

Brisinger987

"No, I'm not local. I live in the mountains west of Serendipity, in a Colony." He thought it was best not to get too detailed about where he lived. He almost had two homes, one in the Thunderblacks, on Dragontop Mountain, with the Statue that lived there and one at the Colony. Almost.

"Why are you rolling your eyes? Worried I'm going to take your mission into my own hands?" Veraxitoc could do quite a lot on his own, and that made him a formidable force of his own. He could often stop missions in their tracks through his means, as he was fond of doing to dragon riders.

Rowan Archer

"We're not on a mission", Rowan replied. "Aini just doesn't like me talking to people." In reply, Aini nudged the rider with her head. Hard. "Not that it's not uncalled for. People aren't very kind to me back at home."
"One of the older Knights in the city told her she was found out here. So, naturally, Rowan took off to see if she could find out where she came from", Aini added, "I think she looks like an Adelan. The hair, the skin. It looks like them. But according to the people in Ketra, she didn't start out looking that way. So they're stumped, and so are we."

Brisinger987

"Did they say where? I have found that the earth itself can store psychic events, when needed. If something significant happened I can relive it by touching the earth." Veraxitoc was of course lying. Only in very rare situations did it happen, and they had to pertain to him. So it was a lie. But he had ways of finding out. An angel had contacted him earlier in month and told him he could access her memory banks when he needed to. The angels had been kind, telling how his people would return.

"Show me where."

Rowan Archer

"The old Knight Commander said I was found wandering around on one of the plateaus halfway up this mountain. Far away from the nearest settlement, and not on any of the trade roads. Unfortunately, that's the most detail he could give", Rowan answered. It was true. The old commander was getting up in years... and you can't expect a seventy year old man to remember something that happened almost fifteen years beforehand.
"She was eleven when I was hatched", added Aini, "And she doesn't have any memories from before she was six or seven."
While Aini spoke, Rowan had gone back to her pallet to get the harness they used to secure her to the Wyvern's back. The leather and metal contraption made it possible to ride Aini without the use of reigns, which would be problematic for Rowan because the use of her magic required her hands.
"It may take us a few tries to find the right spot", Rowan said as she settled the harness on the Wyvern's back, "There are multiple plateaus on that mountain."

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc thought for a second. His species were adept psychics, being able to reach almost as many parts of the mind as angels and demons. Maybe he could find which plateau by reading their memories. No, they were combined, he wouldn't be able to do it.

"We best get started then."

Rowan Archer

Rowan finished strapping Aini's harness to her, giving the leather straps one last tug. When she was done, she swung up on the Wyvern's back. Her legs went into specialized stirrups and a metal clip attached to a belt around her waist kept her from being dismounted mid-flight as well as helping Rowan keep her balance. Unlike the other Dragonriders, Rowan and Aini didn't sync their minds when they flew or fought. Rowan trusted Aini to go where she needed to during battle. They were a team, not a single fighting unit. But no one else had to know that.
"Ready?", Rowan inquired as Aini shot skyward.

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc took flight, spiralling to give himself a much needed boost, the screeching sound being quite low pitched.

"Lead the way..." Veraxitoc circled.

Rowan Archer

Aini climbed high enough to give Rowan a clear view of the mountain. The Wyvern backwinged, moving her wings slowly through the air as though treading water, which was similar to what she was doing. Rowan held onto the pommel of her harness while looking for the plateaus. There were five of them on this mountain, she knew. "Let's start at the top, and work our way down." Aini shot forward, angling herself toward the before-mentioned ground.

Brisinger987

"Very well." Veraxitoc swooped up high, colliding with a rather small dragon which he hadn't noticed, sending said wyvern spiralling, screeching and snarling, and then Veraxitoc realised it was feral.

Fair game to him.

"Dinner time..."

Rowan Archer

Aini kept her eyes on the landing, but Rowan say Veraxitoc attacking the feral wyvern. The main difference between the larger dragon's dinner and her Aini was breed, really. Verthorn Wyverns were larger and sentient. The local dragons it seemed were much smaller and not as smart.... as was evidenced by her companion's ease in capturing the poor creature.
While Rowan watched the feral wyvern's demise, Aini made a smooth landing on the first of the plateaus. Nothing looked familiar, but that didn't mean anything.
"Whenever you're ready", she called up to Veraxitoc. He was pretty high up, so she used the wind on the mountain to push her voice a little farther. Maybe then he could hear her.

Brisinger987

Veraxitoc took what he wanted from the wyvern, and decided to head on up to Aini and Rowan.

"Yep, coming." Veraxitoc took flight, realising he wasn't going to get onto the plateau safely at this angle, instead sending himself high up, diving back down and swinging up onto the plateau, flaring his wings as he landed.

"Anything?"

Rowan Archer

Rowan shook her head. "No, but it doesn't mean anything. Nothing is going to look familiar."

Brisinger987

((OOC: Hey, Rowan, I'm sorry to say this, but when you have the time, I understand that you were probably busy when you wrote this, but could you add a bit more to this post, when you have the time obviously! I'm just having real trouble replying to this, sorry...))