Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Be or Not to Be

Started by Thoth, March 05, 2015, 04:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thoth

Nodding with a smile as she looked on at her mother, Alice sighed, "Okay. I don't know much about archery, so you would be better at picking out arrows to buy than me, but yes, I did see some other things for us to buy." Reaching out, Alice took Shanodin's hand and led her over to the case which held the Magical Jewelry that was being sold at the store, "I looked over this jewelry stuff they were selling, and three of the items caught my eye, two for me, and one I thought we should get for you.

For me there's two rings, one, a Ring of Invisibility, which will grant me the power to turn invisible at will, which will help me in remaining stealthy when I need to. The other is a vessel, which contains a Spirit Tiger that can be summoned by pressing down on the gemstone set on it. Those two I thought would help me fight better if I need to protect you. Then, for you, I saw this..."
Alice then pointed to a small amulet bearing the likeness of a robed reaper holding a scythe, "It's a protective Amulet which will help to protect you from any Necromantic Magic that anyone, but in our case particularly a certain someone, may attempt to use against you."

SilmeriaElemred

A knot formed in Shanodins stomach with even as much as a memory from Gradius. Truth be told she was certain they were not completely rid of him either. Be it one year, or a few. He would, eventually perhaps find them.

''It is useful indeed. Good find'' Shanodin said.

''A certain someone eh? Who would want to harm you two lovely ladies.'' The shopkeeper said. Despite the bow came with its own arrows, he did took a quiver with some more that were suitable and a piece of parchment.

The amulet, two rings, bow, extra arrows and quiver, and automaton and exact arrow blueprint for free, will be a total of 1245 gold normally. I can give a discount though since you two purchased so much. For a total of 800 it is all yours.''

The first amount made Shanodin wonder if she truely needed the bow. But the second, they would be able to afford it and still have some left for food and a place to stay.

''We can do that.'' Shanodin said. It was Gradius who paid after all.

Thoth

Alice had wanted to get the amulet for Shanodin because she knew just how much he frightened her. She could empathize with what Shanodin had gone through with him, at least, as much as any child her age could, due to the many similarities it bore to her own situation. She desperately wanted to do everything she possibly could to make sure he would never hurt her again.

Smiling faintly when Shanodin accepted the idea of getting the items, she then walked over to her and clung to her side by her dress, nuzzling her head affectionately into Shanodin's side. Alice then simply stood there and waited while Shanodin paid the shop owner for the items they had purchased.

SilmeriaElemred

''Pleasure doing business with you ladies.'' The merchant said after Shanodin had paid.

''Likewise. Thank you.'' Shanodin replied and put away the pouch of leftover coins safely. Picking up the bow gave her a strange but positive good feeling and she tucked the amulet away after puting it on.

''Arey ou hungry sweety? Let's get something nice.'' she said with a smile. After that they should perhaps find a place to rest. Either an inn or a safe place to make camp where they could retreat too after confronting the slaver.

Thoth

Glancing over towards the shop owner when he thanked Shanodin and her for their business, Alice simply bowed politely to the man and then took Shanodin's hand as they prepared to leave the store for their next destination.

To Shanodin's question concerning food, Alice then silently pondered the question for a moment, lowering her head and gaze down at her belly as she thought to herself about whether or not she was really hungry enough to require a meal. In the end though she simply shrugged, "I don't mind. We can get something if you want to Mommy."

SilmeriaElemred

''Well you are a growing child so if you feel like eating something be sure to tell me. Alright sweety?'' she said before looking at the automaton. She hoped that there was a tavern or inn here somewhere. Storing things in the bag would not be a wise thing to do here in the open. Already she noticed a few rough looking men looking at them as they passed. A few she could hold off but many? They did had to keep in mind that slaves were bought and sold here. If they were not careful they could perhaps be overpowered before reaching Alice's former seller.

Thoth

It seemed that the pair of Alice and Shanodin had overestimated their chances of remaining hidden. After all, it wasn't that long ago relatively speaking that Alice had been a slave here, for while to her it may have seemed so, she was only eight years old, so the few years she'd spent away from this place seemed like much longer from her perspective. As such, it wasn't long before people began to recognize her, if not specifically then at least as a member of the people that had been brought in by the town's lord a few years earlier.

It wasn't a big surprise. This was a relatively small town, and in addition, it was quite secluded, being positioned high up in the mountains. The combination of these two factors meant that visitors were extremely rare, and on the occasion any did happen to pass through, word of their arrival spread quickly.

Alice, glancing up at Shanodin when she spoke to her, nodded slowly, the girl being a bit worried about what they were getting themselves into here. Sure enough, if either of them were to pay attention, they would notice that they were slowly but surely being surrounded by men creeping through the crowd, men, who Alice at least, as she kept her senses keenly tuned, could tell meant them harm. Looking up at Shanodin, Alice spoke quietly, "Mommy, I think we're being...how do you say, corralled. I've seen this happen before...I think we should get out of here..."

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin nodded. It would be tricky though to do so without giving any pursuaders the idea they had been noticed. With so many people, she did not dare to morph and fly off but partly, Shanodin knew this sort of thing could actually happen. The risk coming here could be. But for Alice she had figured the risk was worth it.

''Remember though sweety. If they get me or there is a chance for you to bring yourself to safety, do it.'' she whispered smiling whilest gently holding Alice's hand before taking a turn after picking the girl up carrying her in her arms like a mother would do. ''For now we just act normal.'' she whispered and blended in the crowd. ''We are after all a simple mother shopping with her adopted child.''
It was actually exactly what they were. She looked around and got an idea. ''Can you get our torn brown cloaks from the bag? Make sure nobody sees you.''

Most people were to busy shopping though and getting a cloak from a bag seemed no big deal. But she noticed most people wore brown cloaks. Some were a bit torn, others were not but if she succeeded to blend them both in it was easier to get away. Or at least get some place safer to think about their next course of action.

Thoth

Alice was simply worried for Shanodin's sake, but nodded to Shanodin nonetheless, despite the fact that she was essentially lying by doing so. She would never leave Shanodin behind, no matter what happened.

Then, just as Shanodin had instructed her to do, she reached her hand into the bag and began fiddling around in it, as she waited for the bag to bring her the cloaks, which it soon did, and then, removing them from the bag, she wrapped one around herself, while placing the second around Shanodin's shoulders. She then hugged her dear mother very tightly, the child's heartbeat going quite fast, as she was quite nervous about them getting captured.

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin looked around and found a stand with various trinkets. ''Alice, see the stand with the sparkly stuff? Pretend that we've been looking for a while. Act like a spoiled child even if you like saying that you love other things too that are in there.'' she said

There was no garuantee it would work but it was the only shot they had. In the worst case they already had to use the automaton.

Thoth

Sitting in Shanodin's arms, Alice listened to her mother's plan of how they should try and deceive the people around them, but in all honesty, Alice wasn't nearly as confidant in her plan as she was. She had already been recognized by a lot of these people, and they were closing in on them fast, albeit trying to do so without revealing they were. If they were truly going to make it out of this, they only had two options. They were either going to have to make a run for it, or fight them off.

Thinking quickly, Alice reached into the bag once again and retrieved something from it she had used during her time with the bandits a couple times, a smoke bomb. Her instincts soon proved right when the first of their pursuers reached them and placed his hand on Shanodin's shoulder, but just as he was about to speak, Alice threw down the smoke bomb, which exploded, quickly filling their surroundings with smoke. Then, squirming out of Shanodin's arms, Alice looked towards the automaton that was following them and pointed the bag at it, mentally ordering it to extend multiple ropes, which did and then picked the armor suit up and took it into the bag. Then, turning, Alice grabbed Shanodin's hand and began pulling her towards the space between two of the nearby buildings, "Come on. We have to go." she said, holding her arm over her mouth to prevent inhaling too much smoke.

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin nodded and followed Alice into the small alleyway. It was an obvious hidingspot but for now would have to do. Shanodin did wonder; if they were captured, would they be brought to the man who ruined Alice's life? If they would though, certainly their weapons and posessions would've been taken. No. They had to reach the man on their own. ''We may need your abilitie considering going through walls..'' Shanodin pointed out as the alley became a dead end. She could not hear them being followed however. But that did not prove anything.

Thoth

Alice could still clearly remember her time with the man they were going to see, and she knew the horrifying kinds of things that awaited them at his compound, which was visible as an enormous palace that sat on the edge of the village. He pretty much owned the town, and his slave trade was its primary business.

After going into the alleyway between the two buildings, Alice nodded to Shanodin's remark that they had apparently run into a dead end. She could hear a great deal of commotion going on in the square behind them due to the smoke bomb she had suddenly let off, but it had been necessary for them to escape. So, just as Shanodin had asked, she placed her hand on the wall in front of them, and still holding Shanodin's hand, pulled them both through the wall and into the building . Continuing to walk, she looked around, finding they had wandered into the back of an apothecary, in the storage area where all of the goods were kept. Turning to Shanodin, Alice asked, "What should we do now?"

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin first made sure nobody heard them. ''There should be sedatices in a shop like this...'' also medicine was expensive and somehow her feeling told her they were going to need some if this was done and both got away. ''We stock up on what we can, and hide somewhere until it is dark. We will then go to the slaver as quietly as possible. Maybe there is something here that can make us help taking care of any guards.'' she looked around and indeed, there were some usefull things. But first she hugged Alice and gave the girl a kiss on her cheek.

Thoth

Alice nodded. She had been a thief herself for many years, so she was more than familiar with what they were about to do, and for the most part, had no problem with it. They needed to survive, so if that meant they had to steal, then so be it. Smiling at Shanodin when she hugged and kissed her, Alice kissed her back.

Then, looking around, she began to grab some alchemical potions which were stocked there, as well as some salves and ointments, and then just various basic medical supplies, stuffing them into the bag as she went. To Shanodin's comment about taking care of the guards, Alice nodded, and then spotted a bottle marked, "chloroform" which was often used to put people to sleep, but also in other capacities. Taking the bottle, she stuffed it into the bag as well.

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin found several potent stuff as well including pure ingredients which on their own, were lethal. ''Alice... I do not like killing but I will take no chances with the guards. I will make sure they are permanently gone. If they would wake while we are with the slave master we are done for.''

Not to mention she would most likely not mind pouring belladonna extract in the mans mouth for what he had done to Alice and so many others. But she did not want to be hasty. After all. They were initially getting answers for Alice and hopefully they would find her family.

Shanodin did make sure with everything she and Alice gathered, the owner of the shop would not notice unless he or she would count inventory.

''We have two options... which is staying here into hiding, or hide elsewhere.'' she said eventually wondering what the best option would be.

Thoth

Technically, chloroform could be lethal if you held it up to someone's mouth long enough, which actually, wasn't that long. In any case, Alice nodded to Shanodin when she said that they should kill the guards, who were of course, willing participants in the man's brutal trade of, mostly women and young girls for the purpose of being forced into sex slavery, among other things. All this while, those old memories of her time with him circulated around in her head, and from that, worries arose about what would end up happening when they finally came face to face with him.

To Shanodin's comments, Alice shook her head, "No, we should probably leave the town and wait until dark. We can sneak into his palace then. We've already caused a commotion, so doing it now would be too risky...On the other hand, by the time we get there...I'm sure word will have reached Midas that we've arrived here."

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin nodded. ''Regardless of what we do he will know.'' she pondered. ''Lets make our way out. We have enough medicine to last for a good while.''

She inhaled deeply. ''Pretending to be your current owner, taking her property to the place she came from will not do either will it...''

She was just as much of a target as Alice was. Her own owners had paid quite a lot not only for her being elven but also having a pretty face. Men would nearly empty their pockets for girls like them. What the hell was she thinking she permitted Alice to come back here where it was severely dangerous. If anything would happen to the girl it would be on her.

''Let's go...'' Shanosin said after hearing a door upstairs open.

Thoth

"Most likely, yes. You can see the square from his palace, so that smoke bomb I used probably signalled him that something is going on. It's likely he already knows we're here and is looking for us as we speak. We'll have to get a fair distance away from the village if we want to remain hidden."

Alice nodded finally to Shanodin and then, taking her hand, led her towards the back wall of the room, which she then focused upon reaching, and pulled them both right through it, the two phasing right through the wall and coming out on the other side. They were still inside the village, but they didn't have far to go to get out. They'd have to move quickly though, as there were people looking for them now.

SilmeriaElemred

Shanodin nodded and listened. She could hear the footsteps marching through the streets. Knocking on doors and entering residence. These guys were persistent. Once she no longer heard anything near them, she grabbed Alice and dashed to the first best hiding spot there was. Fortunatly, she could run and step lightly.

A few more times and they were out of the city again. Hopefully safe enough. Shanodin panted softly once she had put enough distance between them and the city she dared to rest. Once or twice she had picked up a rock and threw it in a direction to draw attention from the guardsmen.

''Lets hope not having to do that again..'' she said softly.