Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thunderback Rim: Rider compatible?! [Hiddenblade]

Started by Winters-Feather, June 08, 2015, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

The Egg was a giant arena built on top of a mountain in the Thunderbacks by the dragons.  The mountain caved down to a large, smooth flat area where lines were drawn for racing, as well as objects used for different events. Here, the sacred Dragonborn games were held every 20 years. Most all dragons could participate and attend, so long as they brought with them a token of good will, whether it be food, drink, treasure, magic, or knowledge. Non dragons were at first not allowed, but during the past few hundred years, the rules became more lenient. Non dragons could even participate, so long as it was only during partner events. Shioko had eagerly pleaded to go. It was a rite of passage, he explained. He had been embarrassed to admit it, but he wanted to be seen as grown by his kind, and that meant the games. Besides the respect and honor that came from participating (even more from winning), wonderful and lavish prizes were to be had.
Taiyou accepted almost immediately, mostly out of love, but partially out of curiosity and the knowledge that attending such an event was seen as almost taboo among the knights. And so, Taiyou found herself perched on a smooth boulder between a large, yellow dragon and two small twin babies.  Taiyou wore her uniform to display her status as a dragon rider, and wore her hair in two neat braids, decorated with smoothed, rounded, and flat beads made from dragon scales.  Despite being a dragon rider, she had to take extra precautions. Gloves were worn at all times, and though she was used to the smell of dragon, she wore a scarf around her nose and mouth to protect herself from the dust and occasional bursts of smoke. Her ears were stuffed with small bits of wax, too. Dragons were never quiet, and Taiyou quite liked her hearing.
Down below in the center of the arena, Shioko stretched as he prepared for a race among a hoard of dragons, both young and old. There were forty participants, picked from a qualifying race the earlier day.

May the wind be in your favor, Taiyou told him.
Don't help, he warned her, half jokingly. There was a confidence in his voice that was not normally there. It amused his rider, who did not often get to see this competitive side of him.
And make things easier for you? She teased back. Just be careful.
An old, gray dragon flew high above the arena, and let out a spectacular roar, shouting out a pillar of blue hot flame. The ground shook as the dragons in unison took off, the rush of wings almost causing Taiyou to fall from her seat. The race had begun.

thehiddenbeast13

Flint soon arrived at the games, although he was a bit late he managed to bring the gift of three boars. Even though they barely fit into his mouth he dropped then in the designated area and was nudged in thanks by a few of his fellow dragons. The large dragon let out a short yawn that seemed more like a large growl and lowered his massive body onto the ground, smoke soon escaping from his nostrils. He watched as one dragon took to the skies with a rider on his back, it made Flint chuckle in the back of his mind to see a dragon rider get dragged into these sports; but he was mostly glad that it wasn't him being ridden. He roared in cheer along with a few of the other dragons even though the race had only barely gotten underway, but the sheer idea of someone winning was enough to get any dragon cheering.

Winters-Feather

Taiyou whooped and hollared, using her winds to carry out her voice as loudly as any dragon. She found herself on her feet as she watched the dragons soar skillfully through the sky and weave through mountains. She could feel Shioko's excitement, as their link remaiend opened, enhancing the experience even more. Taiyou swelled with pride to see her dargon dart through the air. The dragons then disappeared to another part of the course out of sight. They would be gone for a while, through a dangerous course between mountain passes and even through caves. The audience was not in the blind, however. A crystal  was used to project  against  the ground of the arena the happenstances of the race. A sister crystal was worn by a pacer who followed the athletes, so the audience could cheer for their favorites. Taiyou's eyes widened as she watched it work, having never seen such a thing before.

"Whoa," she breathed. It took her afew moments to find Shioko, who was tail to tail with two other dragons in the reveane. Taiyou grapsed tightly to her staff. One false move, and they could be seriously injured...

thehiddenbeast13

Flint stared at the crystals as some of the dragons instantly went silent as they to began to stare at the crystal as well. Some were still hooting and hollering, but there was a small group forming at one crystal. It appeared that a group of dragons were flying a bit too close to one another. All of the dragons looked at one another with a look of worry on each of their faces. It was clear that a injury was imminent, it could be minor like a small scratch; or it could end up causing one of the dragons to plummet. Flint only shook his head as he watched, were none of the officials going to try adn space them out a bit more?

Winters-Feather

ooc: phone posts so typos will happen x.x
Ic:

an accident was inevitable. two young dragons crash into each other, their bodies entangled. They crashed into an older dragon who slammed against the ravines walls.  a faint, but distinguishable, roar from the egg as rocks tumbled.  shioko had been too close. He hit the wall violentlY. Taiyou could feel his panic, her heart lurching.

Get up, come on,  Taiyou silently urged.  The crystal was unclear, dust and choas obscuring its vision. The Egg was in an uproar. The elder dragon that crashed has been a crowd favorite. Taiyou wouldve ran -she didnt know where, but ahe supposed to some event - but Shiokos voice entered sternly in her mind.
stay put, shioko insisted.

Taiyou scowled but stood rigidly,her eyes glued to the skies. through the crystal that followed the remaining dragons left in the race, she couldnt see Shioko. Part od her was worried, but she remained steadfast  if he said he would make it, he would make it!! That didnt stop her from shouting when a second crash occured, but for better or for worse, she did not see shioko in it.

Where is he? She thought right as the crowds errupted in triumphant roaring and the batting of wings. Up in the sky, the faint figures of the first dragons Rapidly propelled in the eggs direction. Taiyou counted as they arrived. when a familar black figure emerged, a wave of relief rolled over the mage.
Fly! She encouraged him.

Shioko flew but something was wrong. He flew awkwardly, almost lopsided. Taiyou wanted to russ to him then but knew he would find offense. Instead she waited until he had stumbled past the finish line to run for the arena.

he had placed fourteenth.

Taiyou dodged around tails and claws, apoligizing quickly to each dragon she passed . When two competitors flew in, neck to neck close to the stands, the force of the wind caused Taiyou to trip and stumble into Flint's rear leg.
Taiyou moaned in pain - dragon scales were NOT comfortable to run into!
She bowed deeply to him, her face flushed from ebarressment.
"Im sorry!" she Shouted, so as to be heard over the diN. She could hardly hear herself, though the wax might have had something to do with it.

thehiddenbeast13

Flint watched as the whole mess took place and couldn't help but feel sorry for the dragons who were hurt in the accident. He continued to watch until he felt someone hit his hind leg, making him lurch forward for a moment before he pulled back and regained his balance. Flint turned his massive head towards the girl and let out a short snarl before he softly pushed her away with his head. He decided that she wasn't trying to attack him, it was a place of peace after all. He then saw one of the injured dragons nearby the finish line and slowly got up himself and slowly began to walk towards the dragon to make sure it wasn't too injured.

Winters-Feather

taiyou held her breath as the dragon turned to face her. He seemed to have deemed her as friendly, at the very least a nucense, because he surprised her by gently nudging her away.  Taiyou yelped as she stumbled, using her staff for balance. She frowned, a little annoyed, but watched as he curiously made his way to  the finish line.
He has someone racing, too? She wondered.
She ran to keep up, using the path he cleared as  her own.

once in the arena she made a beeline for shioko.she reached up to touch his face, and he nuzzled her,gently.
He Tried to move his right wing, and winced.
she could feel his annoyancez his embarressment.
You did good, she  reminded him. You got fourteenth!
shioko only snorted, his eyes watching flint.
Hello, he said.  Taiyou turned to face flint. she was confused , but quickly said hello and bowed in greeting. To run into a dragon on accident was  one thing, but Taiyou foundit wasnt wise to be rude to dragons whatever the situation.

thehiddenbeast13

Flint bowed his head at both of their welcomes and seemed to turn his attention to the other dragon. "Are you okay?" Flint voiced to the other dragon. He then looked back at the girl from earlier and then back at the other dragon. The dragon didn't seem to be bale to do much with one wing, which made Flint worry.

Winters-Feather

Shioko shook his head. 
Taiyou paled and rushed to check his right wing. She gasped at the damage. There was a tear, almost a foot long, but  there was a spot where it bulged, swollen.
"Anything else?" she asked.
I don't think so, Shioko replied. Though I think i scruffed a talcon.
"I think he bruised it," Taiyou said, turning towards Flint with a sigh.
"Do you... um. What's your name?" she asked the dragon. "If it's not too much to ask, please help us find a dragon that knows medicine. My name's Taiyou Nanji."
The lady knight forgot to include her title, but she found it too awkward on her tongue, and there was no time for such formalities.
And mine's Shiko. Your kindess is appreciated, cousin.

OOC: do dragons call each other bro? lol

thehiddenbeast13

OOC:I really can't answer that XD

IC:
Flint listened carefully to Shioko and nodded then turned to the girl and suddenly took on the form of a human. He quickly nodded and said,"Yes, I'm Flint...It's nice to meet you Taiyou." He then looked around and said,"I think one of the elders is this one, come with me." He then turned around and began walking towards a small group.

Winters-Feather

Taiyou gasped and took a step back as Flint transformed into a human.
"y-yes?" she responded, weakly, utterly confounded.
A shapeshifter?! she thought, her heart pounding. She had met a few shapeshifter mages, of course, but a dragon?  And he shifted so casually... She turned towards Shioko.
Did you know?

He shook his head, nudging her forward as he trudged after the now human Flint.

thehiddenbeast13

Flint continued walking until he saw the way she seemed a bit...uncomfortable. "Hey, there are plenty of dragons like me who can become humans." Flint said with a bit of a smirk. Soon, they came upon a large dragon who was a bit "chunkier" than the rest. Flint lowered his head and said,"Elder, we request your help with a injured dragon." The dragon tilted its head at Flint, and soon got up and slowly and very carefully examined the hurt dragon. The elder soon lowered his head down to the hurt dragon and told him...

Winters-Feather

This time, Taiyou couldn't hold back her curiosity.
"Really?!" she exclaimed, excited. "Then how come you're the first I've met?"
She was a little annoyed, really. In all her knighthood, she had never came a cross a dragon-human hybrid. Now that she thought about it, she had heard tales, but never...

She held her tongue when they approached an elder of garnet scales. She bowed solemnly before him.  The large dragon, with his large, green eyes, sniffed Shioko and glanced at the wing.
"You are welcomed to stay in our healing caves for as long as you are injured, Little One," he insisted. His voice was deep, yet soothing. He turned towards Taiyou.
"You, too. Hold out your hand, child,"he told her.

Taiyou wanted to retort she was in her twenties, hardly a child, but she did as she was told. He lightly touched her hand with his muzzle. Suddenly, her vision shifted. She could see past through the arena through a cave and through a seris of twists there laid  a spacious cave, full of nests and potions and medical equiptment. When she drew her hand back, she nodded.

"Thank you!" she said with another bow.

thehiddenbeast13

The elder soon went back to where he was resting before and carefully lowered himself back towards the ground and eventually laid back down in the exact same spot he was in before.

Flint looked over at Taiyou and said,"Well, some of us don't like to change forms that often unless we need something like food..." He then shook his head a little and added,"I'm sure your friend here will be healed in no time...I should know, I've had to be healed a few times before...and I don't want to go into too much detail about."

Winters-Feather

Taiyou nodded, not wishing to invade Flint's privacy.
"Your past is your own," she replied gently. "In any case, thank you. You didn't have to help us."
Yes, Shioko added in agreement.

thehiddenbeast13

"Well, I'm sure you would of done the same for me...I hope." Flint said jokingly. He then looked at Taiyou and said,"I guess you won't be competing in any of the partner events, right?"

Winters-Feather

Taiyou was about to respond that of course she would have helped. She was a dragon rider, it was her job, her mission- but when he brought up the partner events, she didn't have an answer. Taiyou's shoulders slumped.
"Oh, I... Shio you can't fly," she said with regret.
Shioko looked at her thoughtfully.
We should be doing it together, he agreed.
"So what do we do?" she asked.
Shioko hesitated to answer until he told both of them-
He can do it in my stead, he suggested, with some amusement.

thehiddenbeast13

Flint's eyes widened as he heard what the wounded dragon had said. "Whoa, I don't exactly know if that's a great idea." He only shook his head for a moment but finally succumbed to his own thoughts and murmured,"But if you really want me to...I'll do it."

Winters-Feather

"WHAT?" Taiyou exclaimed at Shioko's request,  baffled. She took the wax out of her ears, like that was going to help clarify what he said.  Flint just made things worse.
"Really?!" she asked him in disbelief, not sure whether to be mortified or grateful. They knew next to nothing about this dragon, other that he was kind of nice, and riding a dragon required trust and he could turn into a man, she was going to... Taiyou flushed, shaking her head.
What she did realize was  she sounded rude.
"I mean... You're... this is a big gift you are  giving us. You realize this, right? " she sighed. "We need to work as a team if we're going to win this. We'd need to practice if neither of us want to end up getting hurt. Have you ever given rides before? You're not startled by lightning, are you? I don't know..."

We'll give him half the prize, Shioko insisted to both of them.
Taiyou scowled.
You're not helping, she told him in private.
Do this for me, Shioko insisted.
Taiyou gave him a glare with her green eyes and grumbled before turning back to Flint.

"And you're going to have to wear a saddle," she pointed out, unapoligetic.

thehiddenbeast13

Flint, trying to get his answers out as quick as possible, said,"I know that this is a big gift, I have given people rides before, lightning doesn't bother me much, but the saddle could be a problem...I'm not exactly the biggest fan of those."