Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Stone Unturned [Silver Luna] [M]

Started by The Duke, August 29, 2015, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Duke

Warning: This thread will contain mentions of rape, violence, and other things of a sexual nature. Reader discretion is advised.

@Tag SilmeriaElemred

I am not one for superstition, but one of the villagers in the valley mentioned the curse upon this mountain. With what just occurred among the many other tragedies we have suffered on this climb, I am beginning to believe.

Joan clasped her journal shut and tucked it back into her breastplate ensuring the metal lock clicked into place before it fully settled. With that small entry collected along with so many others detailing wounds, sickness, and death brought by these mountains the knight prepared to climb for yet another day.

Approaching Summergleam, her stallion, she gave a few well deserved strokes and an apple to start the day. Soon wounded were piled upon her back and Joan was led to the front of the group to walk alongside her grizzled second in command, Aran. He was many years her elder and his wounds spoke of his experience, but it came from the Grand Duke that this expedition was to be led by one with Adharism. At first it was more than obvious that the elder soldier was determined to see Joan as an untested burden, but as he saw her capability on the march and that she turned to his counsel for many important matters the two came to an accord. After all the mission demanded their cooperation and so much else it seemed.

Head on a swivel among the stones Joan was kept ever wary of the subtle shift of the earth around them. Connlaothians were known for their superiority complexes, but the knight had come from nothing, so she more than anyone knew how easy it was to sink back into the nothing, never to return. Before lunch they faced a rock slide, thankfully none were injured but the sense of unease and naked fear was palpable.

It was reported some hours later of smoke in the distance. Joan knew they had been advised to avoid locals, but morale was so low she thought to ignore those orders, just this once. Aran seemed to be against this move, but his respect for the chain of command and Joan's intuition stayed his tongue for the moment. The sun was at its peak when the soldiers entered the village. It at first seemed empty, but after a few choice knocks people began to stream out of their hovels and carry on as if the soldiers hardly existed. Water and supplies were traded and information was gathered, but it seemed this diversion only shook the soldiers more.

Camp was made early as the treacherous mountains became murderous with the first loss of light. Three had already fallen on late night patrols, their untrained eyes not seeing the openings to deep caves until it was far too late. Joan had awoken to too many screams, guards remained standing still, it would be enough to keep them safe. So she thought.

No shouts alerted the camp, not even dying screams. Joan didn't seek an explanation for this as a soldier managed to make it to her tent and warn her of the attack. Emerging armored she saw the battle was all but lost. Honor her shield and valor her sword she gave a mighty battle cry to rally her men. These were Mordecai elite warriors against the magic menace. They may fall, but they will not go quietly into this night.

Cutting deep into the flesh of green boys and old men Joan dared to hope for but a moment, but that hope died with Aran. A bolt caught his neck, his last move was to clutch it, but a mere reflex it seemed, he was dead before he fell. Bolas, nets, darts of sleep. They sought to capture now, not kill. Joan's thick armor and stalwart shield were strong against pike and blade, but they proved only a detriment as her legs buckled and she was dragged away the sting of poison at last ending her struggles in fitful sleep.

The knight awoke to a strange reversal, rather than being read to sleep as she once was in the temple so many years ago, she was awoken by reading. It's tone was derisive, dismissive, amused. When Joan realized where he pulled the words she surged upward only to be stopped by iron chains around her neck and arms. She was stripped bare and looked upon a menacing man looking into her journal with a cruel knowing smirk.

To be naked in both body and soul. To fail in ones duty. Joan wondered if there was greater shame than this moment and this was soon answered as she felt another metal device opening her legs. While the knight was a novice to all things sexual she knew at the very least the sick man's implied intentions. Purity of intent was the most powerful gift in her arsenal and all that she could give to Connlaoth. Now she was to be stripped of it like so much else. She stared daggers at the man who stared back unfazed and unafraid.

A scream ended her look as she recognized it. Others had been captured, even now they were being tortured. Joan had heard of the fates of soldiers captured grimacing at the grisly details, but now being so close to that personal cruelty the knight could barely breath. Calming herself eventually the warrior saw that while the situation was dire all was not lost. Looking upon the man again she spoke,

"Are you Razgar?"

It was a simple question answered with a smile, yes.

So here was the subject of so much debate in Connlaoth. This figure was talked up as some kind of false messiah leading a holy crusade against the non-magical. Joan now saw what all that talk reduced to. This was but a man, no less, a rapist.

"Let me go, turn yourself in, I promise you just treatment."

This brought laughter as Razgar flipped through the journal his sloppy hands tearing a page. Joan winced as he flipped on and came to a particular entry. It detailed the 'just' treatment of another mage who had turned himself in. Burned at the stake. The knight had watched him die, he seemed so serene in his passing. Quite unlike how Joan felt now.

Many minutes passed as Razgar read more choice entries, grabbed at Joan, and generally did all he could to humiliate her. When he at last settled into his grisly task a knock came at the door. Razgar spoke then left swiftly leaving a few guards in his stead. They spoke candidly about whether or not Razgar would notice if they deflowered her first laughing all the while. Joan remained calm breathing deeply in meditative trance. She felt a strange sense of ease at last, a second wind. Settling into her harness she felt a change. Whether it was for worse or better, she couldn't say.

SilmeriaElemred

It did not take long for Razgar to come back but certainly not in the state he had left; his hands were on his abdomen. Blood pouring between his fingers.

''Y-you...'' He fell to his knees not yet dead but certainly dying. A single woman stood at the entrace. ''When freeing you I said something. No Mordecai would be hunted or killed. And that I would find anybody who did. What you do... will not bring your family back. Your actions are not justified nor I approve of them.'' The woman's voice was harsh and sounded angry. But she spoke calmly.

She entered the room, torches revealing her white hair and unusual white clothing. One blade in each hand. Whatever they were made of it was certainly no metal.

''It's her... take her down!'' Razgar ordered. An order his men quickly followed by drawing their weapons.

''Oh please...'' the woman muttered. The arrows burned and swords glew red from heat causing the men to drop them. ''Surrender in an orderly fashion please. Face justice for your crimes. I killed enough already.''

Her calmness was off and remarkably most men listened to her order. Surrendering. All but one who grabbed a knife and rushed to Joan. But before he got even close he turned into a hot cloud of ashes and the dagger fell on the ground. ''Anyone else?'' the woman asked.

The mages fearing and appearantly knowing her allowed themselves being bound and collared with a magic blocking neckband. Some cried, others cursed. Saying out loud they thought she was on their size.

The last she bound was a very much paled Razgar. Giving him the same treatment and very painfully burned his wound so it bled less.

''Don't get me wrong. I find the war useless. But it is present because of people like you. And the archduke not realising magic belongs to the world. Mordecai are in theory mages too. Mages with the power to block magic of another.''

The woman unhooked her cloak and walked towards Joan. But when getting near she noticed something strange. She had never met a knight of the white Lily before. But staying to close for a longer period of time was appearantly a bad idea.

''Did they touch you?'' she asked as she released Joan from her chains and wrapped her cloak around the woman.

The Duke

She was deep in a veil now. Surrounded by star stuff, touched by light. Joan had never attempted meditation like this before it was...unnerving, but also calming which seemed casually impossible. Drifting inches above the ground now, lighter than air than even the idea of air. She felt something grabbing her, wrenching her from serenity. Was she being violated even now. Eyes open she felt her chains released as she was wrapped in a cloak. The owner of said cloak was a woman whose hair was white much like her own. Her outfit might have been white as well, but streaks of blood all upon it left little to reveal the cloths true coloring.

Standing now the knight felt a compulsion to shiver. It wasn't out of sudden chill, or perhaps it was, but the desire also stemmed from a leveled shock. Blows of being kidnapped, tied up, interrogated, nearly raped...nearly. Joan steadied herself before realizing she was being quiet, even by her standards. Looking upon her savior she tried to see a friends, an ally, but she couldn't rationalize why this person was helping her, why she was even here. Yet there was a lingering familiarity.

Blinking Joan again realized the silence had become stale. Coughing Joan sighed as she simply sensed her body and at last answered,

"No they didn't touch me. I worry more for my men. "

Hand twitching now. It wanted to grasp a sword that wasn't there. To do what she wondered, to kill another, how would that help truly. Shaking her head Joan realized her distant actions probably reflected poorly on her, she was supposed to be the leader of these men especially with Aran gone. Sighing silently she looked about the room for her armor,

"I'm Joan"

She said it for reasons various, but the main one was she felt obligated. She had been saved. Gratitude, something she often forgets,

"Thank you"

SilmeriaElemred

Silmeria forced Joan, although still as gentle as possible to sit down. ''Take it easy Joan.'' Silmeria said caringly. ''My name is Silmeria. Call me Sil if you see it fit. I will be right back.''

Silmeria got on her feet  and checked the cells. Most men whom were tortured were beyond saving and after shedding healing tears she healed those who would make it. And made those comfortable who would not before easing their passing. They had suffered enough.

When done she walked back to Razgar giving him a hard slap on the face. One hard enough to make the sound echo through the room.

''Monsters are not born. They are made. I told you to start a new life in Serendipity were mages are safe.'' once more her calm voice was perhaps what made the mages afraid of her the most.

''Kill me if you must.'' Razgar muttered. Already was he slipping in and out of consciousness as he had lost a lot of blood.

''Very tempting even for my standards. But no.'' against better will she healed him too. Although she could only heal the wound and not restore his bloodlevel. ''You will answer for your crimes. Just like the rest.''

After dragging the mordecai corpses out she put the mages in the cells instead and returned to Joan. ''I do not know with how many you were but... five of your men are still alive. They will continue to do so if they last the night. We should burn the rest on a funeral pyre so the wolves and dragons will not get to them.''

The Duke

She was made to sit. Like a wandering child she was told to calm herself, to be still. This was something Joan was quite used to and while years passed her treatment changed not at all. So many things seemed to move forward, plans and the time they took, but Joan seemed to be in a stasis. Still as puddle yet deceptively deep, at least she hoped.

She felt the cloak around her, a hug of sorts, a reassurance that this was over. The knight would face other perils assuredly, but this experience, this torment of mind and body ended before it began and that left Joan in a strange place, a half place. A tip toe from oblivion, but she hadn't stepped back herself, rather she'd been pulled back.

Alone now she wondered about the fates of her men, men she could hardly take ownership of any longer. Her orders had led to their failure, to Aran's death, and nearly to their collective oblivion. While Joan had come out of this relatively unscathed the wounds she gathered would linger and left untreated, fester.

It wasn't long before Silmeria returned. This strange savior, clad in white but caked in red. When she spoke Joan listened, there was a silence in her mind now too eerie to bear, she needed noise and what came from Sil was welcome news. Not all was lost it seemed, though Joan knew there would be explanation needed to her sisters, the Grand Duke, many many families...

Downcast Joan looked upon the cold stone and saw her reflection. The only difference between the two was she was not so hard. After hearing that they should burn the bodies Joan nodded, practical and befitting of their service to the unending cause of empire.

Standing up slowly Joan looked to Silmeria and tried to put on a face of strength, a facade that showed she knew what she was doing, she failed. Shaking her head she moved outside the room she might have died in and saw the trails of blood. This did not effect her, at least not as much as it once had. Her sword teacher made her slaughter chickens, rabbits, many types of animals, not to eat but simply to cut apart and see the blood. Exposure therapy she called it, Joan called it cruelty.

Descending the steps she soon smelled the assembled remains. Following the grisly clues her body gave her the knight soon found the brothers, the sisters, the fathers, sons, daughters, all slain. Joan knew grief could not take her, not now in a moment of duty. They had already sacrificed so much, her giving was a given.

"It will take much wood to burn them," She said somberly, perhaps to herself, "Ashes....ashes..."

A childrens song, she couldn't remember the rest. Joan hadn't sang much as a girl. Realizing she still wore only the cloak she ascended the steps and after some time she found her effects. Slowly putting on the battledress quite useless for this particular challenge the knight steeled her resolve and finding Sil again she at last found a face of bravery,

"Thank you for what you've done for me and my men, I owe you much, but I ask your help once more for this task," 

SilmeriaElemred

''We will not need wood. At least not many of it.'' Silmeria assured. ''I'm a being of fire after all. If I stick around you close and long enough you are even going to see what kind of. If you want to help me make beds of wood then I will not stop you but you need to give your body rest. I shall see to your wounds when we've said goodbye to those who fell.''

She first carried the dead tortured mordecai outside and after a good three hours of work, there were two lines; one of the mages she had killed and one of the mordecai.

Whilest laying the bodies outside she founda room where children hid and Silmeria told them strict to stay there.

All of Joan's party who were dead were each down by the phoenix with dignity and their weapon. Covered by a blanket or cloak. The resuming mages were forced outside too to watch and bid farewell to their fallen comrades.

''I do not understand you Silmeria.'' Razgar said after Silmeria spoke a long and ancient prayer. ''You freed us from their torturous mage camps but ordered us not to harm them. Why. All the mordecai and that grand duke give this world is despair.''

''You do not need to understand me at all. Because you do not understand responding to your past with hate, only brings more hate'' Silmeria replied and with a gracefull movement of her hand the bodies caught flame. Silmeria had already felt her power weakening and was glad she did not needed a lot of strength to do this. But being in the presence of a Knight of the white Lilly... had stronger effects then a regular mordecai which her magic still had influence on.

The Duke

It was grisly thankless work, yet this was the easiest part of the day so far. Joan had known a life without gratitude, silence met her toils in almost all her life, if she were to become invisible it would be a long time coming before she might be able to tell. Still she had aid, or rather she was the small bit of aid for Silmeria. This woman bore men upon their backs as if they were gathering berries. The knight wondered what the white clad woman meant when she said she was a being of fire. Without aid to assault this fortress she was clearly no mortal being, but the extend of who or what she was was so far unknown to Joan, like so much else at the moment.

Focus, let work consume your mind, she'd said this mantra to herself before on countless cold nights and scorching days, it had worked so far as she had. Hours passed and candles were lit. Stars filled the sky, these were tied to some of the few truly good times in Joan's childhood. Sweet cakes and toys had a price, but the stories of the night sky were as free as they were endless.

As the men were laid out Joan held back after a time and looked over the men. Rummaging through their clothes she extracted bits and baubles. On some she found letters of mortal purpose, but for others she tried to find heirlooms, trinkets, something a family could hold onto. Gathering these and keeping them close within her armor she gave a silent prayer for safe passage home, if not for her own sake, for all of those lost.

Looking over the slain, Mordecai and mage alike, the knight had trouble seeing difference in the faces. All of them were at peace, alive they may scream and shout at another their blades drawn and mouths moving in deadly incantation, but here and now they lay together as one. Death is the true equalizer in this world. Maybe that's why so many fear it.

She listened to the exchange between Sil and Razgar. These two had a history, a complicated connection. Like weaving everyone's connections start out so simple, then stitch after stitch over stitch and suddenly it's impossible to tell what came from where and was attached to which. 

Hate brings only more hate...

Those words struck a chord with Joan, but the melody didn't carry. So foreign was the idea that her zeal and purity of purpose might have negative consequences that the knight simply dismissed it.

As the fire was lit, Joan looked upon each man and woman. Slowly each was covered completely in the hungry flames. She did not known how much time had passed, but by its end she was exhausted but felt no desire to sleep. Turning about she sat inside for a time then stood seeking out Silmeria. Gratitude wasn't enough, something more had to be said, something more had to be done,

"Who are you to do this?" Joan said as she at last found the woman . She realized it sounded almost accusatory, truth be told the knight was no good in effecting her tone, her nature and fears often spilling out with her words in a jumble of confusion. Looking down her hands become fists she tried to calm herself before saying,

"You saved me, the mages, the mordecai, all of us...I...I don't understand."

Joan realized she wanted to know whose side this strange being was on, but she feared now delving into this curious case may reveal more about herself than Silmeria. Exposure kills. She learned that as a babe and learned it again and again and again. Yet she kept a journal, yet she opened herself so often. No armor could save her from herself. Doom just wasn't enough to dissuade her. 

SilmeriaElemred

''Connlaothian people are descendants from the fae folk. So obviously many Connlaothian people have magic in them. This war and the reason it started? To me it is an excuse from those without any active magic traits. Jealousy perhaps I don't know. But know this. War only destroys. It does not fix anything. Are we not all made of flesh, blood and bone?'' Silmeria asked. ''This war is nothing but an excuse and I've seen to many wars already and killed more people then I will ever admit or could ever count. I help both sides because I can. In equal measure. If I find a Mordecai that tortures and experiments with a mage, I bring him to the grand Duke. If I find a mage torturing a Mordecai. I will give him to authorities too. Simple as that.''

''That woman over there is not human.'' Razgar said. His voice angry of both defeat and being in chains again. ''It is a phoenix. Having attained magic to turn herself into a human form. Was close enough to kill the Archduke but didn't.''

''What part of hate only brings more hate do you not understand?'' Silmeria asked Razgar. ''If I kill him, many shortminded people will see it as another act a mage had done. It would only make things worse. I believe people can change.''

She took hold of a chain and lead everyone back inside. ''Joan... we need to tend to those wounds. I'd rather do that still being able to be in this form since me being a massive bird is not so useful.''

The Duke

As Joan listened to Silmeria she felt a pain, an old pain, a sharp pain upon her ears. As a young girl she'd been taught piety in the same manner as many of the virtuous. Trial and tribulation, fire and flames. When she misspoke during a prayer there was a rap upon her ear, when she failed to address someone properly there was another welt, when she dared to question she felt the cut before the curve of a question mark could begin to form.

Heresy, blasphemy, sin. These words rung in her head with such disapproval, such tutting, such sickly disappointment that Joan nearly felt physically ill. She kept standing though, her pale flesh hiding the fire upon her ears, the blood flushing to drive away what had to be lies and horrific untruths. A clammy hand pressed upon her head as this opposing viewpoint pierced her more deeply and more deadly than any lance and stuck fast worse than a barbed arrow.

What brought the knight to was Razgar's rough accusations. Perhaps the blathering of a mad and desperate man, but Sil didn't refute it, she didn't even try. That meant Joan's very presence was hurting her, her existence was harming this wo...this phoenix. Yet she was saved by her. 

Shaken. Hurt. That's what Joan was and once was, but as she looked upon those more damaged in mind, in body, in spirit, she found strength in necessity. 

When Sil at last spoke to the knight Joan was listening, for the first time truly listening rather than hearing with the ghosts of her past anchoring her beliefs. Was she at last free to go forward, or was she doomed now to fall into quiet oblivion. Joan didn't know, but she nodded to Silmeria and led the others inside. She tended to her own men changing their bandages and speaking with them. Some desired her to kill the remaining mages, others were quiet and contemplative, Joan only spoke when needed, what they needed now was a rock to hold onto so she would be that stone.

Once free of their needs and out of the room Joan came upon Silmeria again and at last took a seat feeling faint as exhaustion fell upon her like a changing tide. Questions roared in her mind that were once so easily silenced but one shined through and pierced the knights lips to form a sentence filled with a strange fear, not for herself or her people but for one who should be an enemy,

"Does my presence hurt you?"

Touching her head her hand still shaking Joan looked down upon a floor dark and stone and saw a thousand footprints all going off to their destinies, their ends, where were hers in all that mess. Did it truly matter? 

SilmeriaElemred

''Your presence is not painful to me if that is what you mean. But I will not be able to contain my human form long when I am with you. At the least this cave is big enough would I run out of power to keep this facade form up. I do not know to what degree you influence my magic further but I'm not leaving'' Silmeria admitted. Some sleek red feathers were already in her hair though.

While Joan had been tending to her men, Silmeria had gathered some herbs and clean water un buckets which she had heated up. Also bandages some of which had been coated with a thin layer of honey. ''Sit. Your wounds need tending.'' her voice firm as she placed a stool on the ground for Joan to sit on.

''You changed though. Silmeria.'' Razgar said calmly. ''You used to be... more secretive about your heritage. What happened with you. Returned to Killian? Married him? Got kids?''

''I left some things behind me. That's all.'' Silmeria said softly and sat Joan down on the chair and put up some canvas so nobody else would see her. Many wounds were under her clothes after all.

''If I catch any of you mordecai killing any of the mages, I will destroy you. Understood? They are now incapable of defending themselves and we are not in Connlaoth, we are in Adela. Magic is not forbidden here.''

Before starting though she asked Joan permission to help her undress.

The Duke

All around her was boundless significance and change and yet Joan was a boulder in the sea a slave to the shifting salt of the tide biting upon her slowly degrading her. Leaving her bare, naked, and afraid. Afraid of what, that remained to be seen. Mages, mordecai, phoenixes, dukes, Adela, Connlaoth, all of them mixed now, what was water seemed so murky and unclear. A hand upon her temple now ravaged with doubt the woman simply allowed time to turn and the boundless unstoppable everything to unfold.

She was happy to hear her presence was not painful, just a day ago she would have been angry, lacking an understanding. This creature...this person had shown her kindness and compassion even though Joan's mere existence makes her own harder, something Joan had felt was quite the opposite just hours before.

She saw the red feathers glimmering in Silmeria's hair. She had seen the stained glass of the Lotus Temple, she had seen the gold fountains of The grand Duke, she had watched a dragon turn a dune to glass in an instance, but in truth she had never seen anything quite as captivating and beautiful as those feathers. They flickered with a life that bent her very reality, a spark, a liveliness, a joy all their own. Blinking rapidly as she stared the knight did as she was bid unthinking swiftly sitting upon the stool,

"Umm yes..." she said more of an after thought than anything else.

Joan was vaguely aware of Razgar and Sil speaking, but their words were wind as the final words rang true. She made sure to give her men in a the room a commanding look. They nodded sagely and returned to the others. There would be no trouble from them.

As the knight was surrounded by a cloth, quite hidden from the others except for Silmeria she continued to stare at the fiery feathers still multiplying throughout the stark raven hair. Hearing the quiet question for her to undress Joan blushed in a nearly undetectable manner. This was odd for her as she had undressed in front of her sisters of the Lotus for years without much of a thought. This seemed different however. Even though she had been naked in their first meeting this seemed strangely fresh.

Joan touched upon her clasp all the same and slowly removed her breastplate. Armor came off her slowly delicately placed upon the floor the preserve it's sheen. A lotus was to clean her armor everyday to show their purity and reflect their untouchable status. Looking down on it now Joan failed to see it gleam. 

Removing her shirt bruises and cuts were revealed riddling her form. Some small others surprisingly large. Removing one piece Joan's diary once again fell out. Leaning forward Joan swiftly picked it up and clutched it tightly hoping to protect it from...well not she didn't quite know. Laughing lightly she placed it by her side looking upon Silmeria,

"Thank you."

They seemed such simple small words compared to the magnitude of the phoenixes gift, but Joan had little else to offer. Downcast she opened herself to healing with the smallest strange glisten of a smile to match the mesmerizing scarlet feathers still revealing themselves.

SilmeriaElemred

Gentle but thorough, Silmeria washed every cut thoroughly. ''In these cases it is unfortunate you are a knight of the white lily... I do not think my healing tears work on you but I spiked up a drink. It is worth a try at the least.'' she pointed to a cup of water that had a strange silvery shine to it.

Some wounds though that looked a bit infected were reopened by Silmeria purposely to attempt letting the blood wash away the infection. She did take long and by the time Silmeria had cleaned and bandaged all of Joan's cuts, more feathers had appeared. Not only her hair. A few of her long tailfeathers had appeared as well. And wingfeathers on her arms. Her eyes despite calm, had become a fire opal red.

Still she gave Joan a smile. I am glad this is an old dragon gave. I have enough space to crawl out. Fortunatly I can talk in my original form too'' she said a little jestering, before backing away and allowed herself to release her humanform.

The fire that surrounded Silmeria was warm but not burning anything. From a small pillar of flame, the shape changed into something bigger. The flames dispersed revealing Silmeria in her majestic natural form. Her claws were that of an eagle and the head too. Long tailfeathers that seemed like those more of a male peacock only instead of eyes they were beautifully patterned. The rest of her body and wings seemed shape wise more like a swan. Her neck was a bit longer then the one of an eagle though.