Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Inconsequential possessions

Started by Parkway, November 29, 2015, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

@DragonSong

(((Continued from The Randy Peach - http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=19934.0 )))

The air was colder and Honou relaxed enough to flip his hood back up.  Bane and Verik were a good team.  They seemed to sense each other and they flew effortlessly.  Honou slide closer and put both arms around Verik's waist gripping him firmly.

Up here it was easy to forget why they were here together and what they were doing.  Absently he rested his head on the back of Verik's just letting the moment take over.  Pure enjoyment and freedom.  That is what it was like to fly.

DragonSong

Verik stiffened, surprised both by Honou's actions and by the fact that it didn't make him as uncomfortable as he would have expected. In fact, it was actually sort of nice. He relaxed slowly, letting his hand drift over Bane's neck to anchor himself.

"You done jobs like this before?" he asked, feeling like he should make conversation. He managed to twist slightly without nearly cracking their heads together this time.

Parkway

His question stirred him from his thoughts.  Honou straightened, "Yes, I have.  I do these types of jobs often.  I took the last few weeks off.  My last one left me a bit...worn."  He hesitated before saying the last word.  It was about right.  The last job he did left him in pretty bad shape.  Healed now but the memory was still fresh.

"I use to be with an order but since the master's untimely death I find myself taking odd jobs here and there.  What about you?  What tasks the military have you doing?"  Honou found it was rather an easy exchange between Verik and himself.  He wasn't sure if he should be glad or worry.

DragonSong

Verik shrugged. "It's been pretty quiet the last year or so. Mostly training, border patrol, that kind of thing." He frowned slightly and added, "With the trouble in Connlaoth though it's looking more and more like some of us might be sent there."

Bane snorted a jet of smoke at this idea, a low growl building in his chest. Verik patted his shoulder absently. "Sorry about your boss," he said, glancing over his shoulder. He was no stranger to loss- he and Ilia had lost their parents at a young age, and he was a soldier. He'd seen his fair share of friends die on a battlefield. Something in Honou's tone suggested he'd been close to his ex-order's master.

Parkway

"Ahhhh, yes the warring in Connlaoth."  Honou knew it was a sore point with most.  He for the most part tried to avoid all talk of it if he could.  BUt Verik and Bane if they were deployed there had no choice in the matter.  "I can only hope they end it sooner than later before they ravage all their lands and realize it was all for naught."

He chuckled at the dragons response. 

The words of sympathy took him by surprise.  Honou had not expected them.  "Thank you."

It sounded so lame even to his ears but he wasn't sure how to reply.  He tried not to think of it, of him.  How he hadn't even known it happened.  He lost so much but then so did many others what right did he have to still morn.  "I still hurts."  He stiffened.  Now why did he add that? What the hell?  "Uh, sorry, I didn't mean...it was a while ago..."  He closed his mouth seemed the more he opened it the bigger fool he was becoming.

He closed his eyes and felt the familiar sting. 

DragonSong

Verik twisted his torso around- Bane knew where he was going, he didn't need his direction. His heart twinged in sympathy and...something else. Something he pretended he couldn't name, shoving it from his mind with a firm You hardly know him!

Yet somehow he felt that he did. "He must have meant a lot to you," he said quietly. He was suddenly very conscious of how close his companion was and dropped his eyes, flushing lightly.

Parkway

Honou swallowed hard.  He was uncomfortable but not because of how close they were but because he felt he wished they were closer.  He groaned inwardly.  Work Honou...this is just another job...besides he is a military man, obviously a human, then why was his stomaching flip-flopping every time he looked back.

He wasn't in need of companionship.  He had his needs seen to from time to time.  He certainly didn't want or need any close ties anymore.  That just lead to pain and heartache.  He was through with that.  Yet he found himself replying to the corporal.  "Indeed he did.  He helped me when I could have gone off in a very dark direction he pulled me out and showed me that there were other means and ways. 

Honou would have said more but something held him back.  For Burok was a lot older then he and many looked down upon them.  Honou never cared for he loved the man and age mattered not especially for elves.  Yet he hesitated, not wanting to alienate the dragon rider.  He felt his breathing quicken when he notices his light flush.  Did he really see it...or was he just pushing for more?

Honou looked down and notice his grip on the man waist which had him now mindful of how close they were.  He tried to still himself but the man's green eyes lured him to look up again but he tried to fight it.  They were here to do a job...he was just making more out of it.  He'd been alone too long.

DragonSong

A realization struck Verik, and he had to bite his tongue to keep from blurting it out: You loved him.

He faced forward again, blushing in earnest now. Well. Now he felt like a jerk for dredging up painful memories. "Maybe we should land soon," he said abruptly, awkwardly. "Find a place to camp for the night. What do you say?"

Bane rumbled in agreement, but his eye flicked back to give his rider a scathing look. He knew what was going on, and he also knew Verik's habit of being awkward and gruff when he was feeling vulnerable. "Shut up," he muttered to the dragon, then forced himself to face Honou and ask, "What about you then? Ready to land?"

Parkway

"Ready.  Sure let's land.  I could use a bite, foolishly I did not eat before we left."  Some fresh rabbit perhaps or maybe fish it they landed near the river. 

It felt better speaking of landing and safer topics.  He braced himself and let them know he was ready one more time.  "Okay ready when you are."

It had been a long time since he was on the back of a dragon so he was a bit tense but not from anything they had done just because he forgot what to expect.  He was glad for the distraction though.  Any more talk and he would probably be crying like a baby!  What the hell had gotten into him?  He was fine on his own.  In fact was proud of his status of a recluse.  Maybe he was hungry...yeah that was it.  He need food.

DragonSong

Verik smiled. "Me neither. I'm starving." He really was. He hadn't noticed with how fast the past few hours had gone. "Bane, there," he said, indicating a clearing below them.

The dragon snorted and began his descent. "Bane can hunt for us when we're settled," Verik said as they spiraled closer and closer to the ground.

As he looked back to speak, his eyes caught in a small detail he hadn't noticed before- perhaps because Honou had kept his hood up earlier, or (more likely) because he'd been caught by those deep blue eyes. "Oh," he said, eyes widening slightly. "You're an elf." He blushed at how blunt and simple-minded that sounded, adding with an awkward fumble, "I, uh, I hadn't realized."

Parkway

He looked instinctively at the spot he guided Bane towards.  Bracing himself but it was probably needless as the dragon was effortless in his descent.

"That would be great."  He noticed the dragon never waviered it was as steady a descent as he ever experienced.  He actually loosened his grip feeling secure.

Honou chuckled.  He couldn't help it.  He said you're an elf as one would the sky is up.  Soon his chuckle exploded into a laugh.  He didn't mean for it to happen.  Honou just couldn't help it.  "Sorry!"  He continued to chuckle.  "It is fine.  You say it like it is a disease." 

Steadying himself and with a mirthful grin, "You're okay Verik."

DragonSong

"Oh, uh- I didn't mean anything by it, I just-" He flushed even more. "You're okay" wasn't exactly high praise, but for some reason it made him smile a bit. "Ah, thanks. You're not so bad yourself." He tried to sound pithy, but thought me might not have managed it quite right.

That idea was enforced by Bane's coughing dragon-chuckle as they landed. He scowled at his old friend and quickly dismounted.

Without thinking he reached up to help Honou down, gripping the other man's waist to steady him as he moved toward the ground.

Parkway

He continued to chuckle.  The more they talked the more Verik was making him lose his reserve.  Before Honou could dismount the corporal was gripping his waist and helping him. He stiffened but quickly relaxed and landed cleanly on the ground.

"Thanks."  He moved a step or two back.  "This looks like a good stop."  He sounded so stupid.  What the hectic was wrong with him!  "I have a few things, but no tent.  Do you?"

He was beginning to feel a tightening in his stomach.  He should be plotting his move to secure the shard yet her he was acting like a boy with a crush.  He once again groaned to himself.  He was never unsure what to do and yet he was now.  "I'll go collect some wood...for the fire..."  Yet he stood there.  Almost as if he excpeted something to happen, what he did not even know.

DragonSong

"No, no tent. I usually just camp under Bane's wing... Which I now realize may be a bit of a tight squeeze for two people," he mumbled, rubbing his neck and looking away awkwardly.

"Oh, wood! Yes right, I'll, um, I'll help," he offered, scrambling for something to do. Gods, what was wrong with him? He was a soldier damnit, not some fumbling teenager! "Bane, you mind rustling up some food, old boy?" he said, more for something to say than to really make the request.

His dragon rolled his eyes at his lack of subtly but nodded, launching into the air with a single powerful leap and banking away to hunt.

Leaving the two men alone.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

"Um...firewood?" Verik winced- well he was just all kinds of articulate today- gesturing toward the trees that surrounded them.

Parkway

Honou smiled.  Under the dragon's wing would be a tight squeeze.  But he was used to sleeping under the stars.  With Bane hitting the skies it was odd.  They should just be working together and yet both of them seemed unsure.  He sighed and walked over the corporal.

"Verik, listen..."  He hesitated what did he want to say?  You have beautiful eyes?  Sexy lips?  Ugh, that's real smooth Honou! He thought.  Taking another deep breath he looked at the other man and shrugged.  "I feel stupid.  This should be so simple, right?"  He didn't wait for an answer her kept going.  "I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.  I don't normally work with others so I may just be out of practise.  You have my permission to kick me if I act like an ass."  He held his hand out in a way of greeting.  "Let's start over, huh?  I'm Honou, the elf you hire when you need something done...out of the ordinary.  Now let's get us some wood for a nice roaring fire."

He smiled and nudged Verik forward.  He hoped this would make it better.  But those green eyes!

DragonSong

Verik took his hand with a grin. "Well met, Honou. I'm Verik, and you didn't do anything wrong, I'm just not really used to working with a partner either." He found he was a little reluctant to let go of his hand but managed.

He chuckled at the nudge and set off into the trees. "It's been pretty dry, so the wood should burn okay," he said, glancing back at his companion. Then a thought struck him and he swore slightly. "I don't suppose you brought along any flint? Travelling with a dragon and all I think I've rather lost the habit." He offered a sheepish smile. He knew he should be more prepared- he was a soldier as well as a dragonrider- but he hadn't exactly been given a lot of notice for this job.

Parkway

It seemed to clear the air so to speak.  "I have a flint!  As I am not a dragonrider it is very essential."  They didn't need to go far as fallen branches and twigs were laying about.  Houno found himself looking at his partner. 

He was now wondering if it was just that, they were both used to working alone.  For a few minutes there he thought it might have been more.  But that would only complicate what they had to do.  Best to keep it light and get the job done. 

"Tell me Verik, how did you get into it.  You know riding?"  He lowered his voice and smiled as he added one last question.  "Do you have someone you leave behind when you have to go on assignments like this?"  Now why did he ask that!  What did he care if he had fifteen kids and two wives!  Damnit!  These humans though they had kids like it was a race. 

DragonSong

Verik shrugged, he growing bundle of firewood clattering in his arms. "Dad was a rider, and it was all I ever wanted to be, I guess. Got put in training when I was twelve and paired up with Bane." He flushed slightly at the second question, shaking his head.

"Uh, no, I don't. I mean- I have a sister, and she's got three little ones, so sometimes it's hard to leave them." Why did he add that? That was more personal than he was used to sharing. He smiled slightly as he though of Ilia. "She's actually been nagging me to settle down these past few years. Thinks I'd be less reckless if I had someone to come home to."

He shrugged again. "I dunno. I'm just not the type to "settle down", I guess. Maybe for the right person, but I haven't met him yet." He snapped his mouth closed, cheeks heating. If he'd been misreading Honou, he may have just revealed something about himself he'd rather keep hidden.

Parkway

He was loading up on the wood and their conversation was easy.  If he'd only stop asking such personal ones.  It was actually nice hearing him speak of his family.  Perhaps if things had been different he too would have become a smithy or joined the military.  One never knew...

"Ha, ha...yes a good friend of mine.  She is nagged by her family as well.  Shame really for she is talented and it would be a waste for her to "settle down" just to satisfy some notion that she should."  He shrugged and Verik continued.

It was subtle.  He almost missed it...or would have if he had not be really listening.  He said he had not met him yet...him...not her.  Now Honou knew from experience humans had more of a hang up than elves did about certain things. 

Honou wrestled with himself.  He had fought back the attraction he felt but now his body was screaming at him...he wasn't sure what he should do next.  So he did what he thought was best. Looking at all the wood he collected, "looks like we have enough for a few days.  What do you say we head back."  He smiled but this time let his gaze linger.  Would it be that bad?  Maybe two or three nights.  He was absolutely magnificent to look at...he wondered what...STOP!  Just stop!

Softly as they walked back he let it go...  "I had met that one once.  He was perfect.  Taken from me but I have his memory."  He let what he said sink in.  He felt the tightness again in his stomach. 

DragonSong

He gave a soft, relieved sigh as Honou easily moved the conversation forward. Well, he'd heard elves were a bit more liberal in their thinking. And it wasn't that he'd ever really been mistreated for who he was attracted to, but he knew that sometimes it could lead to awkward misunderstandings- mostly on his part. Apparently women found him attractive, which often led to uncomfortable explanations. He began following the other man back to their rough campsite.

Then he said...that. Verik paused, looking at his companion's back. "The man you were talking about earlier?" he asked softly. He knew he shouldn't pry, but the question just sort of slipped out.