Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Inconsequential possessions

Started by Parkway, November 29, 2015, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

"Yes."  His reply was soft almost as soft as his smile.  It seemed he was miles away for a moment.  Honou hadn't thought of him in this way for a very long time.  It was as if Verik reminded him of the good wit Burok and not the sadness that overtook him when he was killed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."  He stopped once they entered the clearing they were going to use and let the wood fall to the ground.  He turned and looked at Verik.  Inhaling sharply.  The way he stood took his breath away.  He tried to cover himself by clearing his throat.  He wasn't ready to talk of Burok but also didn't want to seem cold.  It was just being close to this man stirred things inside him that he had thought dead and buried as well. 

"If you want later I let you in on my plans to obtain this shard from its burial place.  It is held in a goblin's den.  Disgusting creatures!"  He shived and tried to adjust himself.  What was wrong with him?  Why could he not just talk casually with this man.  Who had been nothing but cordial the entire time.

DragonSong

A little startled by the abrupt change in topic, Verik nevertheless went along easily enough. He wrinkled his nose. "I've actually never dealt with goblins before," he said, adding his firewood to the pile. He glanced around for a suitable place to sit and decided the grass was fine, thumping down rather gracelessly.

He looked up at Honou expectantly. "Sounds like at least one of us knows what we're dealing with," he said with a crooked smile. "Why don't you fill me in on that plan of yours while we wait for Bane to get back?" A sudden gust of air whistled through the trees and he shivered lightly. "And maybe make use of that flint while you're at it."

Parkway

Grateful that the switch in topic wasn't going to be a big deal.  Smiling as Verik flopped down he nodded and Honou went to work clearing a spot.  He laid the wood so as to allow air to get at it. Next he removed his cape and pulled off his satchel.  Laying the cape down he patted for Verik to use it if he wanted.  He used his flint and with the small kindling and brush soon had a nice fire blazing.

"Well, let me show you now that we won't get a chill."   He looked in his satchel and then remembered he gave the map to Verik.  "Do you have the map?"

He looked up and once again was mesmerized by his eyes.  Without knowing he was going to say it he blurted out, "do you know how beautiful you eyes are?"  He smiled again and pushed some of his hair back.   

DragonSong

"Yeah, it's right-" Verik twisted to extract the map from his belt. Then Honou spoke again and he froze, face going red. He simply stared at his companion, clutching the map in one hand with his mouth slightly open in surprise.

"I, um...that is, uh..." he muttered intelligently, berating himself mentally all the while. Just talk damnit, it's not that hard! "Th-thanks," he stammered out eventually.

That smile. It was captivating, maybe even more so than those deep blue eyes. Gods help him, his companion was bewitching... Suddenly he blurted out, "Are you magicking me?" He thought he'd heard something once about a kind of magic that could seduce people who looked on the user. And he was an elf, maybe he was using some sort of glamour without meaning to.

He found himself half hoping that was the case- it would certainly make things easier with this job. The other half desperately hoped he was wrong.

Parkway

Well now this was an interesting question indeed. 

"Most would say if you meet a dark elf clan the best you could hope for is to die quickly."  Honou could only smile.  But his eyes took on a somber look as he struggled with how best to explain his misunderstood people.  Like all races there is good and bad.  And a lot of gray.  He stopped and looked around the forest.  Slowly his smile faded as he began to tell him.  He should know now less others told him and soured him with falsehoods.  He'd rather Verik understand that he never used his sorcery to lure him or any other to his side.

"So I guess I should be giving you a little insight to my people.  To hear humans and some other elves speak the falseness they do of the Dokkalfar how we dwell in caves deep underground and are thought to be as different from Light Elves in behavior and appearance. With our pale skin, freakish eyes, we have been mistaken for Drow many a time.   The Dokkalfar have been thought of as bad or evil for far too long.  It is true we are decedents of our more notorious cousins the Drow." 

Honou closed his eyes needing a moment to collect himself.  "My people tend to get caught up in our own mistruths.  In all fairness we live by our own code of honor -- much like humans do. If you bargain fairly with us, it is possible over time we will grow to trust you. However, entering our family groups alone or without warning is a risky proposition unless you are quite powerful, and even then you may well find that entering was much easier than leaving.  Female dark elves are universally attractive, beguiling men and women of other races easily. Their sexual capacity is legendary although their predilections and unwholesome appetites make such trysts difficult to survive. Still, humans, dwarfs, and elves are all fascinated with our kind.  The males of my clan are just as alluring and can captive and use our charm but are built for fighting...for war.   We also breed some of the most frightening sorcerers in all the realms." 

He had more to say but for now it was all he could give Verik. 

"If you wish for me to cast a spell I can..."  As he spoke Honou came closer.  He was right next to him in fact.  He leaned in and wrapped his hand around the map Verik still held.   "Let me show you why I know it is a goblin den."  Just a few inches closer and their lips would have met.  His breathing began to quicken again.  Just...so...close....

DragonSong

Mind whirling with the flood of new information and his companion's sudden proximity, Verik felt his breath hitch. Focus, damnit, focus! "Alright," he sort of stammered out, releasing the map.

Common sense screamed at him to lean away, to but some distance between them, but his body seemed to have other ideas, holding him in place. "I- I think we may have a problem," he said, voice rather low and hoarse.

Clearing his throat, he tried to sound more in control and explained, "I mean, this job isn't exactly going to be easy, we're both going to need to be sharp if we wanna come out of this unscathed. On guard, focused. And-" He swallowed and admitted in a rush, "And that might be a bit difficult, because all I can think about right now is how much I want to kiss you."

His voice had dropped low again, face and neck flushed. Well, there it was. No taking it back now.

Parkway

Honou nodded his assessment.  Fully agreeing with the corporal.  It appeared Verik felt the very same way he did.  But to act upon it was this a wise course of action.  Honestly the thought of kissing Verik had seemed to be his underlying factor.  He wanted to kiss him.  But if he did would he stop there?  Well no he wouldn't.

Then what...they kiss which leads to more.  Which leads to even more and then they enjoy themselves on an otherwise dangerous assignment.  Once it was over no hard feelings.  He wouldn't have to even lie to walk away.  Once the job was done both of them would proceed with their lives and they wouldn't have to worry about hurting anyone. 

Besides Verik had a point...if all the ma could do was think about kissing him then surely he would put them in danger.  Honou reasoned well for they safety what is one kiss.

He did speak only smiled as he leaned in his lips touched Verik and he sighed.  It was a soft kiss not evading or demanding just to explore.  His hand left the map and drew Verik in closer placing one behind his head as he deepened the kiss.  Honou's eyes were closed and he felt a burning desire overtaking him.  Yet he held back not wanting to push or scare off Verik.  Now that he came to reason with it he wanted the man and kissing him only made him want him more.

DragonSong

For a moment Verik froze, not actually expecting that reaction to his blurted truth. A hundred different reasons why this was a bad idea spun around his mind, demanding his attention.

Oh- to hell with it. He relaxed into the kiss, hesitantly reaching up to slide his fingers through Honou's hair. It had been a long time- longer than he was willing to admit- since he'd been close to someone like this, and damn it felt good. He gave a sort of hum of contentment, tilting his chin for a better angle.

Kissing was nice, but...well it had been a while, and it wasn't like Honou seemed exactly unwilling...

His brain seemed to suddenly catch up with him and he pulled away. Breathing a little ragged, he mumbled, "That was- uh...thanks." He glanced up and offered a small, slightly sheepish smile. "I just, um..." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly and looked away. "If I don't stop now I'm not sure if I'll stop," he admitted, flushing. "And I'm not sure if that's maybe the best idea right now..."

He trailed off, eyeing Honou, waiting for a response.

Parkway

Honou's breathing was also elevated.  Had Verik not pulled back he wasn't so sure he would have.   His eyes were hazy and when he spoke his voice a bit husky.  "Yeah good point. "  He slowly back up and gestured for the map.

Taking a deep breath he looked at the parchment in his hand.  "Now that we got that out of the way I'll show you why I think as I do.  Let me just pull out my notes though."  He pulled his satchel out and he noticed his hands were a bit shaky.  That was a nice kiss he mused.  One he'd like to repeat.

He pulled out a small journal and as an after though a piece of charcoal to write with.  He was glad for the distraction as he had to readjust himself.  For the kiss they shared stirred up a few other emotions that would not been seen to at the moment.  But for as fast as it had risen it was taking it's sweet ass time receding. 

"Let me flip through.  Parker had told me very little for I don't think he knew all the details.  But he had an idea of where we would be headed and if my memory is right we are headed for a goblin den.  Disgusting little bastards."  He looked up quick.  "Open that out by the fire and let me...ahhhh...here it is...yup...Goblins.  Dammit!"  He leaned closer to the map and his arm brushed Verik's oddly it just felt nice.  "See my own crude map, I've been to this area before on another, ahhh, fishing expedition."  His long finger pointed to his notes and then slide to the map.  "I believe we will need to actually go into their den.  Which I for one will not be looking forward too.  But if we keep our wits about us."  He winked at the reference from before.  "We plan it just right we can waltz in and out and the little bastards will never even know we were there!"  He tapped the small of Verik's back.  He had meant it to be a friendly tap yet he lingered.  Maybe a moment or two longer than he should.  For some reason he thought how nice it had been.

DragonSong

Though he had been the one to voice it, Verik found he was strangely disappointed that Honou agreed with his sentiment. He was being ridiculous. Still, he managed to shift forward and listen to his companion's explanation in a professional manner, telling himself he didn't get goosebumps every time they accidentally brushed against each other.

He nodded along to Honou's voice, grinning at the other man's confidence. "Alright then," he said, looking up at him when he tapped his back. His smile slipped slightly as the touch lingered, that burning sensation building in his chest again. Whoa, boy. Calm down. "So you've- ahem-" he cleared his throat- "You've been to this area before?"

He hadn't realized he was leaning closer as he spoke. Just an inch or two further and-

There was a sudden gale and a shuddering thud as Bane came in to land, dropping a deer onto the ground in front of them. Verik jumped back as though he'd been burned, twisting to glare at his partner. "Bloody brilliant timing, old boy," he muttered.

The dragon coughed a laugh, and if his facial muscles could have pulled it off Verik was sure he'd have been smirking.

Parkway

Honou held his breath.  One small inch...closer...THUD!  "WHAT THE!"  He backed up like a frightened rabbit.  Then he laughed.  It started out as a chuckle and went into a full fit!

Served them right for not being aware of their surroundings.  He let the laughter wash over him and reined himself back in slowly.  His mind drifted as he looked at the very attractive corporal.

He'd asked for a kiss...okay he didn't actually ask...but hell Honou wanted to do it.  He wanted to do more than just kiss him...Bane's timing was perfect.  Like he had thought before one kiss leads to another and then another....

"Okay so now that I have lowered myself in your dragon's eyes I guess I should gut and clean the deer?  Only right."  He kneed and pulled a Bowie type dagger from his boot.  He walked to the carcass and smiled up at the dragon.  "Thank you Bane, your efforts are well received."  He dragged the deer a ways away from the camp and he began to strip.  Odd to some but gutting a deer is messy and he wasn't going to let ruin the only set of clothes he brought.  Boots, beeches, tunic, you name it he was naked by the deer and began to hum something.  It was a blessing of sorts, thanking the animal for the bounty it was giving to them.  All things come into a full circle it was only right to thank the beast.  As he worked he pondered this situation which seemed like it should be simple.  They were two grown men.  Attracted to one another.  What was so wrong with acting on it?  That was it when he went back he would just let it happen, no fighting it.

DragonSong

Bane gave another dragon's chuckle as Honou lugged the deer away, bronze eyes glinting with mischief. He gave his rider a meaningful look, settling onto the ground with a thud.

"Don't you look at me like that," Verik muttered. "We weren't doing anything!" He wasn't sure why but that expression put him in mind of the look Ilia would give him when they were children and she caught him doing something he knew he shouldn't be.

The dragon snorted, rolling his eyes as he let his head flop to the ground. Verik glowered at him. "I am a grown ass man," he said petulantly. "I think I'm allowed to make these decisions for myself."

Bane gave him an arch look that quite clearly said, Who's stopping you?.

Biting back a growl, Verik muttered, "Stupid, giant lizard," and got to his feet. "I'll go help him," he muttered walking off in the direction Honou had gone. It was better than sitting and letting his nervous energy build up.

He was so wrapped up in his thoughts he almost stumbled over Honou and the deer before he saw them. "Oh, sorry, I just came to-"

Then he actually saw Honou and his eyes went very, very round. "Sorry!" he yelped, whirling around, face burning. "I didn't- I mean- I'll just go back to camp now." He set off briskly, trying not to seem like he was running away.

Well that certainly hadn't helped his raging imagination.

Parkway

Honou had been caught up in his work and thoughts.  Did he even hear the footsteps?

"Wait!  Uh...hold on...give me..."  He was filthy.  "Sorry, just I only brought the one set of clothes and didn't want to be a bloodied mess.  Give me a minute." 

He looked around for something to cover up in and he found nothing.  Short of just letting himself hang out there was nothing he could do.  "Uh, yeah I guess just give me a few more minutes.  Unless you have a change of clothes yourself I'm not sure you wanna get messy?"  He looked down and he groaned.  This was awkward. 

He watched the back of Verik.  Wondering if he'd keep.  It was so bad really.  Sure he hadn't any clothing on, but it wasn't like he was just walking around camp.  He was doing a messy job.  If Verik didn't mind...Honou would have no problem with it.  "Uh, you know it really doesn't bother me.  I mean it isn't like either of us never seen another man naked.  Sorry you happened upon it like you did."  Yet he couldn't bring himself to ask him to stay.  What does one do, hey I'd love it for you to watch me gut the deer in the nude? Stupid!  Just stupid!

DragonSong

He had a point. Verik was letting one little kiss get to him. They could be adults about this, right? "Uh, here," he muttered, shrugging off his jacket and holding it in Honou's direction. He still couldn't quite look at him- not necessarily because he was embarrassed, more because it was very difficult to look at that bare chest and not think about-

He cut that train of thought short and mumbled, "Cover up a bit and I'll help you finish up here."

Parkway

He took the jacket and put it on.  "Thanks.  I guess I didn't expect..."  He shrugged.  "I tend to travel very light.  I hate to reek of animal guts as it tends to attract unwanted predators. "  He realized he was talking but everything he said was obvious.  Verik must think he's an idiot.

Clamping down on his mouth he was in the process of skinning the hide.  "He it is quicker if you take one side."  He went to the left and gave Verik some room.  He was very conscious of his nakedness.  He usually didn't care one way or the other.  We all had "parts" he thought.  He tried to focus on the task at hand.  So much for not fighting it.

But once they got into a groove they worked well together.  Honou was pleased.  Normally partners slowed you down with Verik it was as if they knew what the other was going to do and could speed the process up.  It was refreshing to work with someone who actually had a brain.  Not to mention a sexy rear!

As the came closer to finishing the task he nudged Verik shoulder.  "Thanks for helping and again this is not the way I envisioned you seeing me naked for the first time.  Hopefully in the future it will be under better conditions."  There he said it.  He did want more.  There was no reason why they shouldn't and it wouldn't interfere at all with their assignment, right?  No...Honou was an adult as was Verik, they could enjoy each other when the need arose without it getting in the way.  At least this was his reasoning.

DragonSong

Verik paused in his task. Then, carefully, not looking up, he said quietly, "What conditions did you have in mind?"

He realized he wanted more than kisses. He'd been right before, they both needed to stay on their guard- but surely that didn't mean they couldn't have a little fun, did it? Especially in a situation like this, when things were calm and they had a minute to breathe.

At least that was how he justified it. If he was being honest with himself, it was mostly because Honou was breathtaking, and easy to talk to, and...well it had been a while damnit!

Parkway

His smile was pleasant when he turned to Verik.  "Well..."  He turned and tried to wipe his hands off but found nothing.  He looked around and then shrugged.  "I had hoped it be a little cleaner, we'd have eaten, and maybe just explore one another.  I see no reason we shouldn't.  It is obvious we are attracted to one another.  Sure we have a job to do, but now while we aren't in dangerous way or anything, why shouldn't I kiss you if I want to?  See what makes your green eyes sparkle?  Find out what you like and don't?" 

With each word he moved closer to Verik.  Until his lips touched his.  He kissed him slowly seeking entry.  He would have brought his hands up but they were filthy.  SO he just let it happen slowly besides this wasn't like they had too it was because they wanted too.

He backed away and he was a bit breathless.  "Let me cleanup for I intended to use my hands when I kiss you next."  He reluctantly moved away and gathered up what meat they could use.  "I put my water over there I'll just be a minute."  He headed off to the spot he left his clothing and water.

DragonSong

"O-okay," Verik mumbled, still a little dazed from the kiss, watching him walk away. A pretty good view, he had to admit.

He shook his head, sort of laughing at himself. This wasn't like him, jumping right into something like this. His romantic encounters tended to move much more slowly- sometimes stuttering if he was being honest. But really, what harm could it do?

He laughed again, softly. Ilia was always complaining he worked too much, never taking the time for a personal life, and somehow he seemed to have stumbled into a situation that combined the two.

Parkway

He scrubbed up using a small piece of the deer's fur.  Getting all the splatters of blood off him.  If there was one thing he hated it was filth.  Once cleaned and dressed he felt better, well not the dressed part he chuckled to himself.

It was an odd happenstance.  He almost didn't take Parker up on the offer of work.  He hadn't been sure he was into it but then he also was starting to get bored.  So here he was.  Funny...is all he thought.

As he approached Verik he was feeling better about having come clean.  As h looked at the man his body reacted.  "Let's cook these and eat?"  He reached to take the flanks with them.  As well as the hide.    "Thanks for helping.  You hunt?  I do when I need to but much prefer training with my sword or reading a tome of my craft.  I much prefer that then out hunting all night." 

Speaking with Verik came naturally.  Another pleasant surprise.  "You know I worried at first taking on a partner.  You never know what caliber man or elf you will get.  Glad I didn't let my prejudices stand in the way this time."  He let his free hand reach up and touch the side of Verik's cheek, it was a quick caress.   

DragonSong

Verik allowed himself to lean into the touch for a moment, then straightened up, hefting his share of the meat and hide. "I'm glad too," he said with a crooked grin, beginning to walk back to their fire.

"I can use a bow, if that's what you mean by hunt. Usually Bane does it though, he likes the extra exercise." He looked at his companion sidelong and queried, "Your craft? You said something earlier about spells too..." He flushed slightly, remembering that. "So you can do magic then?"

They were near the fire now and Bane greeted them with a huff of smoke, eyes half closed in sleepy contentment.