Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Inconsequential possessions

Started by Parkway, November 29, 2015, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

Honou looked back raising his eyebrows with a smile. 

Whispering to Verik his agreement.  "Let's get out of here regroup with Bane." 

He began to think about the idea.  This could work.  Bane goes to the main entrance and they sneak in, they know the way.  This was a great idea.  He looked back at Verik and nudged him.  Just a quick soft bump of affection.  Even though they were headed out he still dind't want to run into any of the critters if they could help it.

DragonSong

Verik grinned a bit, sort of pleased with himself if he was being honest. He followed Honou warily though, alert for any approaching goblins.

As they made their way out, he reached for Bane's mind with his. While he had never quite fully understood the technicalities of it, it seemed that though Bane could speak to anyone he wanted telepathically, Verik was the only one who could reach out to him in turn.

Change of plans, meet us a little ways off from the back entrance. He felt the dragon's acknowledgement and murmured to Honou, "He'll be waiting for us."

Parkway

How did he know?  Honou looked at Verik questioningly.  "Uh, how does he know and how do you know where to meet him?" 

He knew a little about dragons not enough to understand the bond between dragon and rider.  Though he asked they didn't stop or slow their pace. 

DragonSong

"It's sorta complicated," Verik muttered. "You know how when he talks to you it's like its in your head, not your ears? Well, I can do the same thing to him, and over long distances if I put some effort into it. As far as I know I'm the only one who can, even though he can talk to whoever he pleases-"

Scurrying footsteps. His eyes widened slightly. Without a sound, he grabbed Honou's shoulder and shoved him into a shallow crevice in the rock, pressing as close as he could and hiding them from sight as a few goblins moved past. He didn't even dare to breathe.

Parkway

Honou was impressed with this.  Maybe he should do some research and learn more about Verik's and Bane's connection.  It was interesting and he was sure there was a few tomes on it, possibly the old Mage Holi would have a few.  He'd have too......

Mid thought he was interrupted by Verik's garb and shove as he pressed against him in some rock crevice.  At first he was going to laugh and tell him if he wanted a kiss he only needed to ask.  But it was cut off by the sudden realization of the goblins passing had him not utter a word and he leaned into Verik.

DragonSong

Verik let out a breath as he heard the footsteps die away, moving away from Honou just far enough to peer searchingly into the darkness.

"Looks like they're gone," he whispered, turning back to the elf. He then realized how close they were pressed together and what an inappropriate time it was for his body to be reacting to it the way it was. He stepped back sharply, muttering, "Sorry about that."

Parkway

"I'm not, get back."  He pulled Verik back and pressed his lips to his.  "You were great in there."  He stroked his hand to his face bring his head to Verik's.  "So are you still sorry?"

It felt good to touch Verik.  He hadn't realized how stressful it was going to be having Verik in there with him.  He knew his job and was confident in Verik's skill but by the Gods he hated the thought of anything happening to him.  Yet he was a skilled dragonrider so really it was unfounded his worry, yet he couldn't help it.  Holding him just felt better.

DragonSong

He smirked a bit. "Less so," he admitted, pressing a quick kiss to his lips before pulling them both away from the rock and moving back down the tunnel. He let his hand linger on Honou's longer than was strictly necessary, brushing his thumb over his skin before he let go.

The sooner they got out of here the better.

Parkway

"I know we need to get out of here."  He let Verik led him back out.  He actually couldn't wait to tell him about his idea.  Bane would prove to be a valuable asset to them. 

They headed back to the opening and checked to be sure it was clear to leave. 

Once they crossed the path and made it into the forest Honou finally began to relax.  This was turning out to be a stressful mission.  "I'll follow you to Bane?"  He asked as the set to get moving now that they were out of the goblin den.

DragonSong

Verik nodded and led them a little further into the trees. He knew Bane was coming a few seconds before the dragon circled once overhead and came in to land. The dragon stalked forward, sniffing them both in concern and snorting when he found them unharmed.

What happened? He looked back and forth between them.

"Well, the goblins have the shard," Verik started to explain. "It looked like they were...worshiping it or something." He glanced at Honou with a raised eyebrow for confirmation. Maybe the one who was more familiar with the little pests would be able to shed some light on the situation.

Parkway

Honou followed and was relieved upon seeing Bane. 

"Verik is correct, I too believe they are worshiping the damn thing.  They are odd critters if they take a notion something is powerful it will be a prized possession.  With these nobles looking for it you can bet that the shard is powerful, or why pay gold to retrieve it, right." 

"It appears they seemed to have gathered for a fest centered around this shard.  We came across their arena, in which they were preparing for something big to happen.  The guest of honor looked to be the shard.

"We can't..."  He gestured to Verik and himself.  "...take on a whole cavern of goblins we'd be overwhelmed by their sheer numbers.  So Verik came up with an idea...."  He trailed off and looked at his partner.  Thinking that he should be the one to tell him of his idea.

DragonSong

"We need a distraction," Verik took over. "If you can draw them away- attack the front entrance or something-"

Bane snorted and jerked his head into a nod. He got the idea. Roar, claw at the rocks, rain fire from the sky, that sort of thing?

Verik grinned. "Exactly. Then Honou and I can get in, get the shard, and get out. I'll signal you when we're in the clear." He turned to the elf, waiting for a confirmation, or if he had any other ideas.

Parkway

Honou grinned!  "Exactly!  They would come running to defend their home and probably leave the shard with only a handful of guards."

He noted the sun was beginning to set they'd been in there a while.  "Shall we go now or wait for the sun to rise once more?"

There were advantages for both options and he would be up for either. 

DragonSong

Verik shrugged. "An attacking dragon at sunset has a certain dramatic flare," he said with a crooked smile. "But you know goblins better than I do- do we have a better chance in daylight?"

Parkway

Honou smiled.  "I'd say that is just about right!  So by the looks of it not too much longer."  He looked at Bane and then Verik.  "How about we go back in and get to the arena.  Then you contact Bane?"  He stopped, Honou had been looking towards the area he and Verik just came by now but at his idea he wasn't sure if that could be done so he looked back at Verik questioningly. 

"Can you both communicate from that far inside?"

DragonSong

Bane gave the distance a calculating look then snorted, nodding. Verik shrugged. "Shouldn't be too difficult," he said, nodding to himself. The dragon dipped his head in agreement and took to the air. He'd circle above until he got his rider's signal.

Verik gave a quick grin, throwing the elf a mock salute and saying, "Lead the way, Sir."

Parkway

Honou grinded and winked.  He did a sort of skip and lead the way to the cavern opening.  They weren't very far so they made it back in no time at all.  Once at their destination he indicated for Verik to stay close by.  He wasn't too concerned of guards but still entered with caution.

It didn't take them long to retrace their steps.  Still they walked slow and steady.  Both ready should they happen upon any goblins.

The turn to the arena was just up ahead when Honou stopped.  In a low whisper, "once you reach him well wait for the bulk of the critters to leave.  Those who stay behind to guard the shard...well... I'll take one with my dagger and then we crash land so to speak?  How does that sound?"

DragonSong

Verik grinned viciously. "Got it." He closed his eyes and reached out to Bane.

Moments later, the very stones seemed to shake with the echoing roar outside. He winced and glanced at Honou. "That enough of a distraction you think?"

Parkway

Honou grinned and shook his head yes.  Lowering his voice but not actually whispering he gestured to the commotion down below.  The goblins were running towards the exit.  Only six remained at the shard. 

He didn't wait more than he needed to once the last goblin left his dagger flew into the head of one of the goblins standing guard.  He looked at Verik...  "NOW!"

Without waiting he looked around for something to use as a few arrows were hurled their way.  He tried to doge them but one struck his lower leg and he grunted.  No time for that as he worked his way down the side.  Another landing way too close as another grazed his arm.  He jumped and hit the ground.  His leg with the arrow pulsated with pain.  Damn!  Poison!  He grimaced and  just pulled his sword.  Into the frenzy he went.  He could hear Verik and he knew he wasn't alone. 

DragonSong

At Honou's signal Verik leaped into the fray, ax swinging in a silver blur. An arrow grazed his cheek and he winced, but he quickly ended the offending archer.

Two more goblins swiftly fell under his blade and he whirled to see how the elf was faring. His eyes immediately fell on the arrow in his leg and he cursed under his breath, darting forward to swing at another of the attacking goblins.

The little bastard jumped away, chittering, and Verik pressed the knife Honou had given him into the elf's hand. "Stay back and throw this. I can handle the rest."