Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Inconsequential possessions

Started by Parkway, November 29, 2015, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parkway

Honou felt like he was going to retch.  His stomach tightened and beads of sweat formed on his upper lip.  He nodded and in a slightly horse voice he said Thanks.  Thinking he should have taken out the archer!

He watched as Verik took care of the goblins.  He could still feel Bane's roars rumbling through the cavern as some rocks began to fall.  He looked up and noticed the rough wooden structure was shaking with the vibrations.  He noticed one little bastard coming around with a dart pole and he instinctively threw the knife Verik gave him.  Hitting his mark.  But he noticed his had was shaking.

"Grab the shard...  He began to cast a frost spell and closed the tunnel entrance he goblins had left from.  Next he created a sort of bridge so they could climb back up from where they came.  He just needed to hold it together until they got out.  He was sweating a bit more now.  He'd need shay berries to expel the poison.

DragonSong

Verik snatched the shard and rushed back to Honou's side, looping his arm around his waist to take his weight. "Come on, we've gotta move."

He didn't like the way the elf was breathing heavily, or the color his skin had turned. "Can you make it out?" he asked, fighting to keep the panic from his voice as he started dragging them up the icy bridge. "Nice trick by the way," he added, trying to coax out a smile.

Parkway

Honou smiled grimly as he watched Verik take the shard. It was also a relief to feel his arm encircle his waist.  "Yeah...lead."  He clenched his teeth and leaned on Verik.

"Yeah, just keep moving I'll tag along."  He hated leaning on Verik but he needed to.  Damn goblin!  "Damnit!  I should have noticed the goblin archer...shit your cheek too!"  He could see where the arrow graze Verik and he cursed his haste he should have scoped the area and hit the archer! 

When he realized what Verik said he chuckled shallowly from the pain.  "Thanks, I'll teach you how.  It's easy."  He tried to grin but it was tight and he was beginning to shake.  His theft chattered.  He stammered "sorry!"

DragonSong

"Shit!" Verik paused at the top of the bridge, lowering the elf to the floor. He ripped the fabric of his pants to look at the wound. "Hold on, this is gonna hurt," he warned, then grabbed the arrow by the shaft and yanked it out.

He immediately placed his hand over the wound, trying to stop the flow of blood. "Honou? Talk to me, ok? Stay with me." If he lost consciousness Verik wasn't sure he could get them both out of the caverns.

He didn't even notice the flesh under his hand begin to stitch itself back back together as he clutched the sharp in his other hand.

Parkway

At those famous last words Honou gripped the dirt and clenched his teeth even more.  "Yeah..."  It was more of a grunt then a word...then he felt an intense hot flash of searing pain.  Verik pulled the poison tip from his lower leg and he could feel the burn of the serrated arrow being removed. 

Honou's eyes rolled back as his breathing was coming in short painful gasps.  A small grunt.  When Verik's voice penetrated his painful haze.  He didn't notice the healing either.  Just Verik's voice which he attributed to why the pain seemed to almost vanish.

"I'm here...I'm here Verik.  By the Gods thank you.  It feels...well the pain is almost subsided.  Damn that hurt."  He gave a nervous chuckle and went to get up.  "We better keep going, just tie that on and I think I'll be okay to get moving."  He gave a long exhale.  By the Gods he was beginning to feel better just having that damn arrow out.  He still had no idea what was going on.

DragonSong

Verik let out a relieved breath. "Yeah, hold on." He tore a strip of cloth off his tunic and made to tie the wound up.

Then he froze. "Uh, Honou, you didn't tell me you could heal..." He pulled the elf to his feet, beginning to move them both back down the tunnel.

Parkway

"What?  No..."  He stammered.  "I can't...what...wow."  He blinked and stood gingerly on the leg but Verik wasn't kidding.  It didn't hurt.

"We'll figure it out later let's get out of here!"  He went to follow Verik, "Thanks Verik."  He reached out and touched Verik's shoulder as he hurried to follow.  He was eager to escape this place.

"No need to be quiet anymore!  Let's run!"  He nudged Verik.  Not even caring if they ran into a pack of the little critters.

DragonSong

Verik nodded and took off running. His mind was whirling with confusion but he pushed it away. They didn't have time.

He could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Literally. Not bothering to keep his voice in his head, he called out to Bane: "Meet us, quick! We need to get out of here."

Parkway

The boulders were beginning to crack rock was falling.  Honou didn't care how or what healed him he was just glad for it.  They ran with Verik guiding them and rocks crashing down. 

He could see the exit and he pushed ahead dodging the falling debris.  He couldn't hear any chatter from the goblins which he was taking as a good sign.  By the gods why did it seem longer to get out then getting inside! 

Then Verik called aloud to Bane and Honou had renewed vigor!  "Yes, the exit right ahead!  I am right behind you Verik!  What those rocks!"  He waved to the right as sweat trickled and burned his eye.

DragonSong

Verik dodged the falling cavern ceiling and grabbed Honou's arm, more or less throwing him out into the open before diving after him.

"You alright?" he panted, glancing back over his shoulder to see the entrance they'd just escape through collapse into a pile of rubble. Well. That was bloody good timing.

As if responding to that thought, Bane came clattering in for a landing, sniffing at them in concern; his eyes narrowed and he growled at the scent of blood.

Verik waved him off. "We're fine. Somehow. Here, let's just get out of-"

"I wouldn't move if I were you."

He froze and twisted to see a rather unsavory looking group of people waiting a little ways down the incline, weapons at the ready. The mercenary group. Great, just great.

Bane growled, raising his hackles, and a man who must have been a mage shouted something in a langue Verik didn't understand. The dragon gave a sharp cry of pain and shock, shaking his head back and forth. I-I can't see! For perhaps the first time since they'd been paired together, he sounded scared.

Verik growled, scrambling to his feet and planting himself in front of Bane and Honou protectively.

Parkway

He was propelled out of the cavern and came to land on his hands and knees. 

Everything was happening so fast now when moments before it was like time had stopped.  He began to get up.  "Yeah, I'm goo..."  He was cut off as the cavern came crashing done and covered the opening.  Bane came about then and relief spread through him.  He was eager to get this shard delivered and sleep in an actual bed tonight.

"I'm good.  How about...?"  Again cut off.

"I wouldn't move if I were you."

Honou looked over from where the voice came.  This was not good.  Nope!  Not good at all!  He had little choice but to do as instructed.  Then Bane gave a sharp cry as a man shouted something Honou couldn't understand.  A shiver of fear ran though him.  The mage was powerful!  Verik stepped in front of the dragon and himself.  This was good.  Honou pulled a dart and had it in his sleeve as one of the mercenaries approached.  Without waiting or alerting Verik he threw the dart at the mage.

It was quick.  It lodged into the eye of the mage bring momentary shock and shearing pain to him.  Honou shouted.  "NOW VERIK!  KILL HIM!"  Honou drew both his swords and whirled missing a critical strike from the one who approached.  The battled back and forth.  Honou felt a surge of powerful adrenaline rushing through him. 

He wasn't powerful like Verik or this man but what he lacked in power he made up for in agility and finesse.  He was fast...faster than the man he was paired against and after deftly blocking a few strikes Houno forced his back to the boulders when he was able to get him against it he allowed for one more hit.  Blocking that he held the man in place and used his other sword to cut the belly of the man.  He didn't wait once the man fell to his knees he lifted him by the hair and sliced his throat. 

He immediately looked for Verik...and Bane...

DragonSong

He didn't need anymore encouragement than that. This man had hurt Bane. His ax came come with a sickening crunch and the mage crumpled.

Behind him, he heard Bane give a small noise of relief. Apparently the spell had died with its caster. Thank gods.

The enraged dragon leaped forward, claws flashing and breath flaming. The mercenaries never stood a chance. They must have been counting on their mage to disable the dragon. Verik turned, scanning the area for Honou-

Sharp pain in his side. He cried out instinctively and twisted to see one of the men had dodged Bane's attack- mostly, he was still bleeding heavily and burns were apparent on his skin. The mercenary pulled the knife from his side with a grin and pain exploded through him.

He growled and swung his ax, easily separating his attacker's head from his body. Then he sank to his knees, one hand covering the wound in his side as he panted, pain causing his vision to blur.

Parkway

Verik was on his knees.  "VERIK!!!"  Honou scream and ran to his side.  He tried to push his hand away but could.  His whole body was shaking.  Blood seeped out.

He was worried.  Very worried.  "Verik!"

His hands covered Verik's, "Lean on me.  Bane!"  He called the dragon over.  "Come on Verik, stay awake.  Open your eyes!  Damnit...stay with me Verik...stay with Bane!"

As he spoke the shard in Verik's satchel glowed brightly.  It's light poured out and Honou looked over at it.  He made sure Verik's hand was held tightly against his wound.  He pressed harder and his breathing increased.  "Please work."  He whispered.

The wound began to close.  He watched .

DragonSong

Still feeling hazily, Verik tried to focus through the pain at the sound of Honou's voice, then Bane's concerned rumbling.

"M'fine...jus' a scratch..." he mumbled, leaning heavily on the elf. He glanced down. Gods that was a lot of blood. Was that all his? This wasn't good. He was a soldier. He'd seen men die from less.

Then, suddenly, the pain faded. He blinked, staring as his flesh stitched itself back together. "How...?" He looked up at Honou, vision clearing, thank gods. Slowly, he removed his hand from his side, half expecting the wound to suddenly reopen. "Did you...?" He trailed off, looking at the elf.

Parkway

speechless for a moment.  What was going on?  He looked at Verik's satchel it glowing subsided.

"No, no I have no knowledge of healing what so ever."  He looked up at Verik.  "The shard it was glowing.  I held your hand to your wound, that's all I did."

He looked at Bane and back at Verik.  He was overcome with relief and without thinking he pulled Verik close and kissed him.  At first it was soft but quickly became very heated.  He just needed the contact the feel of Verik.  He hadn't realized how much it had scared him.  When he pulled away he rested his head against Verik's his voice was a little shaky.  "I can't tell you why or how all I know is that you're here and not bleeding.  For now this is good enough."

DragonSong

The contact was more than welcome and he leaned into the kiss gratefully. His arms came up around Honou in an almost uncomfortably tight embrace. "I'm here," he murmured when they broke apart, letting one hand stroke up and down his back. "You're here."

That was more to assure himself than anything. He let his hands wander, checking for injury and simply enjoying the sensation of touch. "Bane, you alright?" he asked when he was satisfied his partner had no serious injuries, looking to the dragon but not willing to let the elf go just yet.

Bane nodded, relief in his bronze eyes. Verik sighed, some of the tension leaving him, and turned his head to press another quick kiss to Honou's lips before forcing himself to his feet. "Come on," he said quietly. "We'll figure this weirdness out later. For now let's just get out of here."

Parkway

Honou didn't need to hear that twice.  He too didn't want to break contact but for the sake of getting out before anyone or thing showed up he let go.

He looked over at Bane and pat his side.  "You sure you're okay."  He was concerned because he'd only heard of Mages doing what he saw happen to Bane.  "Did you understand the Mage who was casting?"

Honou was curious for if a Mage that powerful could do what he did was there something that Verik and he could learn to break the spell?  Another mystery that could figure out later.

"You have everything?"  He asked Verik as he picked his swords back up and wiped them clean.

DragonSong

Verik nodded, looking around warily as he slung his ax over his back, adjusting his satchel. "Yeah, I'm ready to but this place behind us," he said wryly.

He gave Bane's nose a scratch as he walked to the dragon's side, preparing to mount. Then he paused.

"One moment, I forgot something." Without warning he grabbed Honou buy the waist and jerked him closer for a quick, fierce kiss. He broke away and gave him a crooked smile. "There. Ready."

Leaping up onto the dragon's back, he reached down to help the elf mount. Thank gods he's alright. They're both alright.

Parkway

Honou went to look around to help when Verik grabbed him and planted the kiss making him smile.  "Mmmm."  Not the most profound thing to say but it was all he could articulate at the moment.

With Verik's help he settled in behind Him and reached around his waist leaning into him.  He slid his hands over the gash in his tunic as he realized how close he'd come to losing Verik.  A small part of his brain began its chant tell him to separate himself once they were back in town.  If he stayed it would be that much harder later to end it.  Best to just cut it off.  But the smarter part told him it was worth everything.  He closed his eyes and whispered.  "Words cannot express how I feel that you are alright.  That Bane is alright." 

DragonSong

Bane jumped into the air and set a course for Ketra. Verik twisted, wrapping his arms around Honou in turn. "I-" He didn't know what he was trying to say, turning to nuzzle into the elf's neck.

"Thought I might lose you both for a second back there," he admitted quietly, not realizing that he'd started to shake. "I'm so- I can't-" He cleared his throat and tightened his arms, voice trailing off.

The dragon sent a wave of wordless comfort in his direction, a thrumming sound echoing in his great, barreled chest.