Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A fair bargain [M]

Started by Medievarad, December 12, 2015, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medievarad

Somewhere in the thunderblacks lies a secluded cave. Rumours spokebof said cave contain treasure. Treasure that could not compare to a man, or woman's, wildest dreams. Many had travelled the path. But none had reached the illustrous cave yet.

But. None knew what was truly inside the cave. What truly was out of sight and well hidden in the thunderblacks was the vampire lord. Acheron Whitemoore. Residing within the fabled cave. He had come across it by sheer accident. Now being sat on a gilded throne.

Yet he was slumped down, his head supported by his fist, wich in turn was supported by his arm and elbow on the armsupport of the throne. Blood slowly trickled down from behind his closed eyelids. On his shoulder sat a crow. Its eyes also shut. The two seemed to be fast asleep.

Rhindeer

Oh, Naovi had heard the rumors, all right.

And she had followed the tales to the fabled place, a place few dared to go for there were also tales of monsters and beasts guarding the legendary hoard. They were the sorts of tales that would scare a mere mortal, but Naovi was no mere mortal and she was certainly no coward! Nothing risked, nothing gained, after all!

She wasn't too interested in the riches themselves as she was interested in the prospect of any magical trinkets that might be buries among them. She had a collection of her own, after all; rare magical items were very, very relevant to her interests! And so she came to the fabled cave, but not in her human shape. Instead, she was in the form of a small red fox--a small red fox with three tails, wearing a necklace around her furry neck. A necklace with a single white pearl.

Humans were clumsy and made a lot of noise, but as a fox she was swift and quiet and, aside from the tails and necklace, a fox was less obvious than a human. Foxes were a copper a dozen out in the wilds, so of course foxes would poke their noses in dens searching for food and shelter.

Her being here was nothing out of the ordinary! Really!

Slinking into the cave, Naovi sniffed the air and wrinkled her nose when she smelled bird and man, the fur bristling along her back. But when her eyes spotted what her nose had scented, she saw the culprits were...asleep? Dead? Hm. Either way, they were clearly oblivious. It just meant she had to work fast.

And so she scampered inside and slunk past the two, deeper into the cave to begin her search.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Medievarad

Nor the vampire, nor the crow moved or even stirred as the small fox slipped by them. Yet, only when Naovi was deeper inside the cave, a murder of crows swooped down on her with loud caws. While they did not initially harm her, in the confusion and storm of black feathers, one tried to pry away her necklace and fly off. It was then that all of the crows suddenly dissappeared. Without a trace. As if vanishing in thin air.

And footsteps resounded down the stairs.

Rhindeer

HOLYSHITWHAT?!

A murder of crows descended upon her then, and for a second Naovi thought they were there to literally murder her. She let out a startled yip and snapped at them as they fluttered all around her, spinning in a circle to try and catch one or two, and she had just begun to summon her foxfire when--

...When nothing happened.

The crows lifted and fluttered away, and Naovi was left there, tails rubbing together as she tried and failed to conjure some spark of magic. But there was nothing, and when she pawed at her neck--oh gods.

It was gone.

Her necklace was gone.

Panic shot through her as she realized those fuckers had taken it, and when she heard footsteps descending down some stairs somewhere, she bolted after them. Ohhhh no!  That attack had been deliberate, and whoever was responsible was going to pay, and pay dearly when she caught them! Never mind that she was currently in the petite form of a fox.

She found the stairs and bounded down them. Even though she was useless in this form without her necklace, about as extraordinary as any other fox (save for having three tails), she was determined. She would gnaw the fucker's ankles off if she had to!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Medievarad

Acheron surfaced from a flight of stairs, holding the aforementioned necklace in his hand. He looked sleepy. His eyesockets and cheelbones still slightly bloodied. A crow cawing as they looked at the fox. As if taunting her. "Well. Is this our so called intruder?" He said. His voice bored and desinterested. He seemed very passive.

Yet at the same time. The vampire lord looked menacing at the same time.

Rhindeer

The menacing man appeared, the one who had seemed to be asleep, and Naovi arched her back like a cat and lowered her head, her ears flattening as she growled. He had her necklace! And the stupid crow gave it to him!

Her tail bristled, the hairs all along her back standing on end. "That's mine!" she yipped. "Give it back!"

Medievarad

Acheron chuckled slowly. It was a light, gentle chuckle. But in some way, the vampire made it sound so threatening. "Tell me, little fox. What position do you think you're in?" Slowly. A crow wrenched away from his arm. Then his face. As he slowly dissappeared into a flock of crows that dissipated into nothingness. His soft voice carrying thriugh the entire cave.

"You're in no position to make demands, little fox."

Rhindeer

Panic shot through her when he vanished, and she knew with heart-wrenching certainty that he was correct. She wasn't in a position to make demands; he had her at his mercy, and could vanish with her necklace just like that.

And without her necklace...

She didn't have long left to live.

"Wait!" she yelped, spinning around as she looked for some sign of the crows, some sign of him, tried to even pick up his very scent with her keen nose but came up with nothing. "W-wait, come back! Hold on, please! I can make you a deal, just give it back!"

Medievarad

"You called?" Acheron said as he seemed to step out through a wall, the crow with the necklace in it's bead on his shoulder. "What kind of.. Deal?" He asked as he pulled the necklace from the crow, wrapping it around his hand.

Rhindeer

Naovi jumped and spun around when he just appeared again, and she knew she was screwed. He was an immortal being like her, and she could smell how powerful he was, how ancient. Older than she was by far--which made the game they played all the more dangerous. But if she didn't get her pearl back, it was over. She had no choice, and there was little she could do in this form without it.

She certainly couldn't rush him and snatch it back. He could snuff her out like a candle. Or just...bat her away like an gnat, more likely.

A chill went down her spine, making her fur spike, but as long as he was still here and talking with her, at least she had a chance. She stared up at him, her eyes narrowed and never leaving that pearl, that little orb that was literally her life--her life, which he could choose to crush in his hand if he desired.

She swallowed, licking her teeth nervously.

"Whatever will get it back to me," she said at last, dangerous words--but she didn't know what she could offer a creature like him that would make it worth it. "What can I do to get it back from you? Name your price."

Medievarad

"What can you offer me dear? You do not look like a normal fox. But that much was clear from the necklace." He chuckled slowly as he stepped forward. Kneeling down infront of Naovi. "Do tell me. What brought you to my lair?"

Rhindeer

Naovi held her ground as he approached, though she was sorely tempted to try to snatch the necklace from his hand when he knelt before her. It was there, just within reach...

But he would just vanish, she knew, and she might lose her chance entirely.

"I smelled magic here," she said. "But that's getting off topic! It doesn't matter why I'm here! I want my necklace back. Now. And I'll do whatever it takes to get it back. What do you want? I can incinerate your enemies! Zap them with lightning! Scare the shit out of them with nightmares so real they'll die of fright! I have treasure! I collect magical things! I can give you any of it or all of it if you'll just give me back that pearl!"

Medievarad

"I have all these things, little fox. These offers are no good. For now. I merely wish to know about you." He held up the pearl. "Isn't that a start?" He smirked as he looked to the pearl. "And why is it so imortant?"

Rhindeer

Spirits and fire be damned!

With a small huff, Naovi sat and curled her three tails around her feet. She stared at the pearl with her piercing eyes, still bristling, but growing desperate now. She could feel the pearl's loss like a physical thing, like she was missing a chunk of herself--the most essential, core part of who she was. It was uncomfortable, itchy, and pressed all around her until it was all she could think about.

She needed it back, she needed it back now.

"It's important because it's mine!" she snapped, some part of her still desperate not to tell him just how important, how easily he could kill her right now. "What do you want to know?! I'm not a normal fox! Obviously! I'm kitsune! I have power over lightning and fire, over dreams! I can feed on peoples' desires! I can take two shapes, this and the shape of a human, but I can't change without my pearl or do magic without my pearl and I need it back now!"

Her words came out more and more panicked the more she spoke, but she couldn't help it. She'd never been apart from her pearl before and she wasn't handling this well!

"I'll do anything! What do you want? My promise is as good as gold, name it and I'll be bound to you, just give me my pearl back!"

Medievarad

Acheron chuckled again. To him. This was all a rather comical scene. He flicked the pearl up, towards Naovi. Before standing up. "Human form." Was what he said. Folding his arms. "Let's talk. You have piqued my interest, Kitsune." Achero  smirked slowly.

Little had he known that something this interesting had stumbled into his temporary lair. He didn't care for the riches within or the items sprawled about. Adventurers often came here, so it meant free food walked in here. Free food and this. Very interesting indeed.

Rhindeer

"We are talking! What do you want to talk about? Yes! I have a human form! I said that! So what do you want?!" Naovi yipped, hopping to her feet as well, her tails flicking irritably.

Medievarad

"Catch." Was what the vampire stated, before tossing the pearl down to her. "And change to yiur human form. Where do you come from? And what is your name?" He chuckled a bit. "And what can you offer me? Your body? Your mind and soul? I gave you the pearl back.. So it is only fair I have a right to know what choices I have ."

Rhindeer

Ohohoho...

The pearl glinted in the air, and Naovi leaped and caught it in her teeth--

And smiled a fox's sly smile as she landed.

Old though he might be, he had slipped. He had never named his price, she had never agreed, and they had never sealed the bargain. She had only named things she could offer him, but she had never given him her promise--only told him that she would.

She spared him only that one bright look of triumph before she bolted away from him in a flash of fire and crackling sparks, smoke rising like a smokescreen to hopefully buy her time--and serve as a distraction--as she raced from the room as fast as her swift paws could carry her.

Medievarad

Acheron grinned widely. Exactly according to plan. A fox may be a cunning predator. Or a swift and difficult prey. But Acheron was a master vampire. An apex predator. And the apex enjoyed toying with his game. Slowly. He stepped backwards. Dissappearing into the wall once more. "Little fox. These aren't manners at all." His voice resounded through the ruins/cave once more. Softly. Gently. Amused. And oh so dangerous.

And the hallway Naovi turned into, a mere trick of illusion magic. If succesful, it would seem tl stretch on for eternity. Behind her a wall. No choice but to stray down the path. If unsuccesful. She'd be met with the sight of a crow infront of her. Odd red eyes staring at her.

Rhindeer

Naovi ran.

And ran.

And ran.

She didn't know how long she ran before she realized the path was unending, but when she spun around to go back, cursing under her breath, she met a wall instead. She froze, eyes going wide, and spun back around to face the pathway.

Shit...

Shiiiiit.

Maybe...maybe she had been the one to underestimate him! Maybe he had known all along what he was doing. Dammit! He smelled old and powerful! Surely he couldn't have been so stupid, and she was the stupid one for assuming he was!

No choice but to keep going.

With a huff, her heart pounding in her chest, and fell into a faster run.