Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Decorative Weapons

Started by TreeFolk, May 20, 2015, 12:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

((For Sil))

Arend watched the back of his most recent customer retreat down the steep incline towards the south end of his land. The young knight had been bright-eyed and eager, though there hadn't been anything too exciting about him other than that. For the week it had taken to forge the young man's simple broad sword, Arend had spent his time training the lad how to bear the weight of such a heavy weapon. Training, and imparting whatever wisdom he could. Young men like the knight who came to visit him were often over-eager for battle. Over-eager and idealistic, with an unrealistic image of the world as being black and white. They thought there was pure good and pure evil in the world, that they could take on the world and vanquish all evil.

But he had seen young men like him die in the name of 'good' before. He had also seen young men confuse the ideals of good and ideal with reality, had seen them kill those who did not truly deserve death. Had seen them make decisions of life and death that should have been reserved for gods alone. He sighed and turned back towards his cabin, climbing back up the hill. All he could do was hope that he had not sent his most recent customer to a similar fate.

Reaching the wooden gate, he opened and closed it, scooping up his axe easily as he returned to chopping wood. It would get cold in the winter months, and although he had already chopped enough wood for himself, he continued to chop wood for the villagers who couldn't. Elderly men and women who had no adult children to look after them, or single mothers whose husbands had perished. Pausing, he wiped the sweat off of his brow and looked down the hill, the path to the village heading eastward. Perhaps he'd work on clearing some of the weeds from the path later in the day, to make it easier for his work horse to haul the cart to town.

SilmeriaElemred

It had not been an easy trip from Serendipity to The Thunderblacks. But traveling alone on a pitchblack mare, a woman clothed in rather high quality pants, boots till her knees and a tunic. Above that, light colored metal armor. As final she wore a cloak whose hood concealed her ears and a part of her face but it was easy to see she was elven.

''This should be the place Aria.'' the woman said with a smile.

It had been a long time since she had first heard of a lineage of famous blacksmiths and she had left the safe borders of her home to see if they could make her something special.
With a soft whistle she commanded the horse to resume their trip. The village was not far away but her destination was not there. It was a bit further West and it was not long until the house was in view.

It was then she dismounted and resumed on foot with the horse not far behind her. She spotted Arend but did not speak until close enough. ''Excuse me, is this the Houtman residence?'' she asked as she lowered her hood revealing her deep dark hair and long elven ears.

TreeFolk

Just as he was preparing to continue chopping, he caught sight of the slight frame of the woman moving up the crest of the hill. Burying the head of his axe into a stump, Arend leaned to grab his shirt up, which he had removed to keep cooler as he worked. Wiping his face clean of sweat with the back of his shirt, he shrugged it over his muscular frame. When she neared, his assumption of her gender was confirmed and he was glad he had covered himself. He was old fashioned in that manner, preferring to monitor his behavior around women. And this woman, as strange and obviously elven she was was, appeared to be high born. Well, high born in comparison to him, with his modest homestead and functional, worn clothing.

Glancing down at his own pants, which were torn around the knees, he couldn't help to smile to himself. Turning the smile to her, he approached the gate, voice deep and rumbling. "Aye, m'lady." He'd spent his own fair share of time at the courts of royalty. Taking her hand in his, he chastely kissed the back of it, before releasing it. "Arend Houtman. How may I help you?" He looked past her to get a better look at the horse, noting "That's a fine creature."

He was curious more than anything about his visitor. He rarely had any women visiting his homestead, well, apart from the women from the village. Let alone had he ever had a proper looking lady, and never had he ever imagined that he'd have one of the elfin sort coming through these parts. Those that visited him were usually only men looking to make a name for themselves. Not that he was frequented by customers like he had been when he'd lived in the capitol, forging swords for the high borns.

SilmeriaElemred

''Lovely isn't she'' she said with a warm smile. The horse seemed to understand it being praised and actually kneeled briefly before getting up again and walked in a small circle to show herself off. ''Proud too'' she giggled before focussing on the matter at hand.

''My name is Serenia.I had read about your and your family's work and I was wondering if you could make me two elegant swords, that can be used for blade dancing. If possible also being able to endure in a fight would I ever get in one. I of course will pay you well for your services.''

TreeFolk

He wasn't quite certain that the horse was altogether a normal horse, either. What strange behavior! A small frown creased his features. He hoped they weren't bringing trouble with them. Strange folk like the lady in front of him often came with baggage.

But at least she was looking for mostly decorative weapons. "Can't say I've ever made a sword for dancing..." He looked her up and down, appraising her body. Not for any devious reasons, but because he was trying to imagine the type of swords that would best suit her. He, and every Houtman before him, had an eye for these things. It was easy to read a person's body and determine the exact right kind of weapon for them.

Arend stroked a hand over his beard, contemplating. "Aye, I think I can craft you something." He motioned her towards his small home. "Come, I'm certain you are weary from your journey." He would have grabbed the horse's lead to take it towards the small barn for her, but he wasn't certain the strange creature would appreciate it. He'd leave it up to her. "The barn is small, but has a warm, dry stall and some food for your horse."

He led them to a small barn, easily sliding the heavy door open and leading them in. Inside there were three modest stalls, each leading out into the modest paddock, where his own horses grazed on a round bale of hay. His own mount, a sturdy, and giant, red roan gelding, leaned his chest against the stall door and extended his nose out, butting Arend in the chest. A smile crossed his features as he dug into his pocket, pulling out a sugar cube and letting the gelding gently lip it out of his hand.

His work horse, a big bay draft horse, lazily came into the barn, and Arend gave the mare a sugar cube, too. He smiled and held out a sugar cube to Serenia for her mare. "The animals all know I'm a pushover. Would your mare like one? He stumbled a bit when his roan nudged him again in the back, "Pumpkin, come on, you've already had one."

Opening another stall door, he placed a flake of hay and dumped a bit of grain in the feeder, checking to make sure the water bucket was full. He eyed his other two horses, daring them to try and leave their stalls into the paddock and come into the one he was getting ready for her mare. "We'll get you fed and rested, too, m'lady, and then I'll work on sketching up a few samples for you. I'm expectin' you to want some sort of gem work done? I'll have to go a town over to catch a merchant for those."

SilmeriaElemred

''Gems are not nessesary to me. If possible although not a must though, perhaps a small engraving in the blade would be nice but if you like adding gemstones I can give you some special ones to use.'' she revealed her silver bracelet which had various white gemstones in it that sparkled gently like the stars themselves.

The mare fearlessly walked to Arend and very gently took the cube from him before without question. ''Rest up well Aria, you deserved it.'' Serenia said gently patting the mare.

''Some rest and food sounds lovely. The trip was wonderful and have seen a lot of amazing things but it takes some toll on a person. Also.,,, ss annoying as it can be though my kin of elves... do not eat meat or wear or use leather or use anything that ever came from an animal with the exception of milk and eggs. I can understand if it is troublesome.''

TreeFolk

Arend led her towards his house, continuing to talk. "I only assumed you would like to make the weapons more aesthetically pleasing, seeing as you're using them for entertainment. But I can do the engraving easily, and add the gems if you wish."

Leading her up onto the porch of his house, he opened up the door. There were two levels to his house in order to accommodate guests and customers, two bedrooms upstairs, and his own on the first level at the front of the house. Across from his room they passed a small living room, with shelves of books, fireplace, and a few pieces of furniture. They reached the end of the hallway where he led her into the small kitchen. "I think I can manage that. If you'd like, you can sit in here while I prepare it, or sit at the dining room table across the way."

Arend filled a glass of water for her, and placed the kettle and a small pot full of water on the stove top. After he lit the fire on the stove, he left her briefly to walk out the back door. After a few minutes he returned with a small basket carrying two fresh eggs from the hen house, an apple from one of his fruit bearing trees, and a loaf of bread and block of cheese from the underground larder. Setting the basket on the table, he plucked the two eggs up and placed them in the pot of water which was slowly beginning to bubble. Washing off the apple, he cut it, and then the cheese and the bread, setting slices on a platter. As he finished he used a ladle to pull the two hard boiled eggs out of the water, setting them on the plate alongside the other food. He set the platter in front of her, and turned back to address the now-screaming kettle.

He reached into a cupboard and pulled out two mugs, placing them on the table. Pouring the hot water into the mugs, he asked, "Tea?"

SilmeriaElemred

''Some tea would be lovely thank you'' Serenia said with a smile. She had drank the water as well. She was glad that the engraving could be done. She simply had plenty of things in mind but did not want to decide everything; Arend was the smith after all. Having some personal touches of him would make it extra special.

''I passed a man on the road earlier very happy with the sword he held. Was he a customer too?'' she asked out of curiosity.

TreeFolk

Arend passed her the mug, crossing his arms and leaning against the counter. "Aye, most likely it was the lad I sent off earlier today. He was knighted fairly recently. Came all the way from Ketra, though that's not the furthest somebody has traveled."

He took this time to open into his own question about her. "Where did you say you came from? And, also, if there is anything you find particularly meaningful that you would like engraved, let me know. An animal, a plant, the likes."

SilmeriaElemred

''I do not think I told you where I came from.'' Serenia said accepting the mug and took a calm sip. The warm scent and flavour making her cheeks flush slightly.

''I am from Serendipity. In the woods close to the borders of Adela. A small village of my people live there. We are moonelves. Daughters and Sons from Lunaria and Solos who are not only our mother and father, but also our two Gods. It is a nice legend. Which I can share if you would like to hear'' she said calmly. ''As for what is meaningfull...'' she pondered a little about how to explain.

''The son, moon, stars and life are what is most important to us. So something with that theme would be nice.''

TreeFolk

Ideas for the designs of her sword began to dart through his mind like seeds on the warm summer breeze. He preferred these types of requests, where he could have his input on the design. Customers that only gave him ideas, rather than came with fully plotted out designs, let him work around theirs to create something better for them. Most folk didn't have the imagination for these things, and it was best to leave the details of the creation of weapons to swordsmiths.

Upon first seeing the lady, Arend had been concerned that she would be a difficult customer to please. The higher born customers were often terribly particular. This leaf was slightly too sharp, and could he just move the berry a bit to the left? It was hardly ever the important things that his customers caught on to, like the weight or balance of a weapon. No, artificial fillers were more important to most. Only very skilled swordsmen and women would make requests of him on the balancing.

His hands itched to begin sketching the designs for her swords, but he wanted more background to truly capture what she wanted. Weapons were very personal, and capturing the essence of a person was essential to producing a weapon truly worthy. People that were uncertain of their own identity were never guaranteed a weapon perfect for their needs or personality, so Arend had become rather acute at reading others. His mother had been very observant in those matters.

Sitting down at the small table across from her, a bit conscious of his own smell from the day's work in the sun, he urged her to share more with him. "If you are not too tired, m'lady, I would like to hear your tales. If not, you can rest and share them with me on the morrow. Granted you are not in a terrible hurry, I should be able to comfortably finish your weapons in a week's time. Quicker if you are pressed for time."

SilmeriaElemred

''Oh I am in no rush.'' Serenia assured. ''It is fine if you need more time then that.'' taking another sip of her drink she thought for a moment. ''My tales huh?'' a smile formed on her lips. ''My profession is an entertainer. I like to dance with fire or a sword or staff. I do not really see themas dances though but kind of like a ritual. Our God and Goddess fullfilled wishes despite in return of doing so they could have children. I just like to show them that we are alright down here on this earth. I have not traveled much. Usually only to Arca. It was also the first place though I saw weapons could be used to create something incredible rather then only bloodshed.''

TreeFolk

Arend had been expecting her to share the legend she had offered to tell him about just before, but hearing more of her own perceptions and background still helped him get a good feel for what she might like.

Reaching forward Arend grabbed a small sketch pad and lead pencil from a small decorative box at the center of the table. As she spoke he began to draft a few different versions of suns, moons, and stars. His style tended towards knot work, and in this work it was appearing through interconnected galaxies. His second draft was simpler, working through constellations.

Leaning forward, he showed her the first design. "I was thinking having the moon in the center on one side of the hilt, and the sun on the opposite side. At the hilt end of the blade I was thinking a few star systems, which moves into the sky here on Earth, and then a few vines towards the tip."

SilmeriaElemred

''It looks beautiful.'' Serenia said with a kind of smile that most likely had been the inspiration for the name she carried. ''I do wonder which star systems would be nice to choose. Eventually the sword will go to my children and theirs. Other then the Grieving Star there are not really stars or constellations that are expressed.'' she paused for a moment to think of the best way to tell the legend of Solos and Lunaria.

''There are various kinds of moon and sun elves. The moonelves from my town, Astoraea follow the following legend.

We are the indirect children of Solos and Lunaria. They are lovers, however. Solos and Lunaria could only meet one another during a solar or lunar Eclipse.

Those periods of time were the only moments their bodies would materialise and every time they met, they tried to make a child. But even after many tries, Lunaria still had not been able to get a child from Solos.

Lunaria eventually suggested that, would an elf pray upon them to have a child, they'd infuse the person with a littlebit of their radiance and have children that way. Humans unfortunatly had forgotten their old Gods and Goddesses and therefor could not be blessed. The chance for complications were to great as well since human bodies could not handle power granted in this way. Solos agreed, with the terms they needed to guide the children to meet and have children of their own. But also blessings like these are not for free.

The first to pray, was a man whom prayed to the sun. He was not capable of impregnating his elven wife who wanted to have a child of her own and asked for the blessing. Solos agreed with the terms that he'd give the man fertility in exchange for the first child he'd have with his wife. The man after consulting with his wife accepted the terms and after a short while the mans wife became pregnant. Giving birth to a son. With golden eyes and hair like the softest Spring sunshine.

The second to pray was an Elven woman. Praying to Lunaria who wanted nothing more then a child. Lunaria agreed under the terms that the first child would be hers. For the one who wanted a child of someone no matter whom for just having a child would not deserve it. The woman was shocked by Lunaria's demands but accepted regardless. Lunaria lead her to a man and the two fell in love.

The man whom received Solos' gift had shared his deal with his wife. Despite sad they'd have to give up their first child after an unknown time, she understood and respected it. The woman whom had prayed to Lunaria however, had not spoken to her man. A baby girl was born with hair black as starless night and the skin a light shade of lilac. Her husband thought he'd been deceived. Demanding to know whose child it was. Since neither he or she had that dark hair and skin color skin. Out of rage, he mortally wounded her and left the baby in the woods.

The baby however was found. By the same who were blessed by Solos. Raising both her and their son. But remarkably, neither of the children were picked up like they had expected. And when the two came of age, they thanked their parents. Speaking about following the guidance of the stars. More men and women were blessed in the meantime. By both Solos and Lunaria. Those by Solos always giving birth to a boy. Those by Lunaria always giving birth to a daughter. Always they found one another through the guidance of the stars creating children of their own.

As for the first woman blessed by Lunaria. A beam of white moonlight touched her dying body. She was carried to the sky and being made a star. My people call her the grieving star which is the star closest to the moon on the womans death day, the day when on the Earth the night is longest.''

TreeFolk

Arend listened closely, his mind already wrapping around the potential designs for the blade of the sword. When she had finished he rose from his chair to pick up her empty mug and fill it again, clearing some of the plates from the table. "I've heard similar origin tales, but you make quite an apt storyteller."

He could recall his own parents telling tales of the gods, their wisdom and cruelty, and of the iron-blooded men of old. "My people believe in gods, giants, and heroes, and men with iron in their core. I was raised in the foothills of the mountains bordering Connlaoth, and when the thunder rumbled deep over the mountains and the lightning would strike, Mother would sooth us children by telling us the tale about the blacksmith of the gods striking hot iron for weaponry. It is from him that we Houtmans are said to descend." He took up his notepad and pencil, tucking them under his arm as he stood. "But... That is a tale for another evening. I am sure you would like to rest after your journey. Let me show you to your room."

If she had anything heavy to carry, he carried it up for her. He guided her up the stairs to the small hallway, leading her to the back room and ducking his head under the doorframe. As Arend went to light the lamps in the room, it became clear that the room was a small cozy a-frame. Shelves were built into the walls, books on an array of topics, though mostly on weaponry, lined them. Some of his iron work decorated the walls. Swords, knives, daggers, axes, and the like with intricate designs and solid structure rested on hooks and cradles around the room. And a window facing the back of his property, large and open so as to let the moonlight fall on the bed.

He moved to light the small fireplace in the room. "It often becomes cold here at night. Feel free to close the window. Is there anything else I might get for you?"

SilmeriaElemred

''This is perfect thank you.'' Serenia assured. ''I am fine with nightly cold. Moonlight is a good blanket. The only other thing I would need is a place to wash or bathe. Either at a nearby river or a bathing house is fine if you have no opportunity for it here.''

TreeFolk

"There is a bathhouse over by the well," he pointed out the window to where two small buildings stood separate from the main house, "an outhouse as well. I'll go warm the waters for you, then."

Arend left her and exited out the back door, pulling water to fill the bath, though his bath house was more a sauna than anything. Heating rocks, he placed a bucket with water and a ladle so that she might steam, and then put the rocks in the water of the tub to heat it. It would be sufficiently heated by the time she came, and he returned to fetch her after placing towels out for her.

SilmeriaElemred

Serenia thanked him and while he was getting the waters warm she got out of her travelers clothes and had put on a simple deep purple dress. The clothes needed a wash as well so she figured putting on the simple piece of clothing was the best way to go.

She also had gotten a few small pots most likely containing soaps.

TreeFolk

Arend left her to bathe, returning to his study in the house where he lit a lamp and laid out a few pieces of fresh parchment. Taking a bit of lead, he sharpened it and began to sketch out more complicated designs onto the parchment for her sword. He would take her measurements on the morrow and have her test out a few swords to check for weight and dimensions for her weapon.

He was actually quite excited at the prospect of designing the sword- many of his clients were men who cared little for decorative weapons. They were all just eager to have their steel in their hands, and would not wait for him to embellish their swords. The most he had time for was normally inlaying gems into the hilts. No, this sword would be a piece of work that he would feel proud of, a weapon he could practice his more artistic inclinations out on.

His mother had designed beautiful weapons, as his father had designed strong and durable steel. The pair of them had created masterful weapons and had passed their knowledge down to their children. His sister continued to work in blacksmithing, but she lived in a small village with her husband and children rarely had the opportunity to make the types of weapons Arend was able to work on. Arend, instead of taking a family, had dedicated his youth and young adult life to honing his craft and creating a name for himself.

SilmeriaElemred

The moonelf enjoyed her bath and took her time for it too. She washed her long dark hair and skin with soap and as final used a scrub to rinse her body deeper.

When done it was a good one and a half hour later and she had put herself in a simple offwhite dress. Her hair loose. It still being moist made it look like smooth silk.

Before going inside she went to her horse to make sure it was comfortable and by the time she was inside the moon was showing herself well in the sky. She was glad she had made the journey. She had seen a lot of beautiful things and would return home with a nice physical reminder of how she had reached her destination and got back home with it. Although home, probably not right away. The world had many more things to show and as long as she was on time for the festival everything would be fine.

After tending to the horse, she returned inside. Realising too that she would be living here for a short while. It was  a strange thought after being on the road for so long.