Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An End to the Endless Sleep

Started by TreeFolk, April 23, 2016, 11:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

"I see." Sigurn took one of the fish off the fire, using her fingers to pick it apart and eat in earnest. The grease of the fish dripped down her chin, and she only paused long enough to take a drink of whiskey. Her brothers swooped in again, one dropped another two fish onto the fire and the other setting a bucket of water gently down.

Sigurn took the bucket of water up and drank until half the bucket was empty, setting it down and then addressing Elyan. "The packs of the Thunderblacks were well-respected back in my time. Good about keepin' the prey populations down... Only had to kill one pack that broke off from the alpha pack when they took to killin' people." She picked at her teeth with the rib bone of the fish before plucking up another fish and starting into it slower. "Werewolves can be a respectable kind. Are they still?"

DragonSong

Elyan found himself growing tenser and tenser as she talked about "packs". Gritting his teeth, he muttered, "I...wouldn't know." He cleared his throat and glanced at the fire. "I don't really...associate with others of my kind."

He threw back most of his whiskey in one gulp, then wrinkled his nose. Maybe that hadn't been the best idea on a relatively empty stomach. Of course, at least his werewolf metabolism could help him out there. "I assume there are some good ones out there," he relented after a few moments.

TreeFolk

She was not incredibly interested in digging into his past, and it seemed he was hesitant to talk about the subject. It was not her business and she had bigger problems to address. Now that she had enough food in her belly to think a little clearer, she noticed that he had not touched any of the fish provided to them. While she had known werewolves to hold their own drinking, she also knew that she had a much greater tolerance than most. She and her brothers had been known to drink taverns dry.

Pulling a fish off the fire, she sat it on his lap. "Eat." He wouldn't be good to tell her the tale if he was unconscious. "And tell me what you know."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
((OoC: Feel free to be vague if you don't feel comfortable recapping things!))

DragonSong

Elyan was hesitant, but he did his best to tell her everything he knew about the legends that had sprouted up around her and her brothers as he picked at the fish. It was mostly his own recounting of bard stories he'd heard growing up and on his travels.

He tried to hide the fact that she'd been interpreted as a male- but it was rather hard to describe most of the stories he knew without letting that slip.

"So, ah...Ylva has been dead- or something- for a long time now." He shrugged. "But some people think she might have come back."

TreeFolk

When he did finally let it slip that the legends had written her down as a man, she released a loud, bark of a laugh and drank another swig from her mug. "Men have always been fearful of a strong woman!"

Her grin did disappear as he continued with the tale, the retelling of a weakness she did not know about. And then the prophecy-like spin to the end of the tale brought a pensive look to her face as she leaned forward and stared hard into the fire.

She looked to Elyan. "Seems I owe you a great deal for your aid, Elyan. Also seems you've been dragged into this," she stared back at the fire, "I have no doubt that the witch has returned. Prophecies do not often tell lies... What have you heard thus far about the witch's return?"

DragonSong

The werewolf shook his head and gave her a helpless sort of shrug. "I've just heard...odd things. Illnesses no one can cure, people disappearing, things like that." Elyan glanced up at her with a concerned sort of frowned. "I didn't really put much stock into it, but well, if you're real- I mean, awake," he hastened to correct, "Then I guess that means...she really is back, huh?"

He leaned back and ran a hand through his mess of hair. "Gods, we are all fucked."

TreeFolk

"No. 'We' are not." Sigurn's jaw tightened at his lack of faith in her, though she knew she had earned it. Had she not been asleep and useless for hundreds of years now? What had transpired during that time? "At least the witch was felled for a time, too, after she cursed me to that endless sleep. If she hadn't, then I doubt there would be any Adelans to be 'fucked' as you say."

"I simply must defeat her... I should also see if that tree still stands and destroy it so that it will not ever be used against me again." She gripped her hands together angrily. "Though who is to say that other objects have not been carved from said tree?" She stared down at the wooden mug she held, frowning. "I shall have to avoid eating or drinking off of wooden objects."

She stood up abruptly. "You shall need your strength. Sleep now, and I will maintain watch for the night."

DragonSong

Elyan wasn't quite sure how to respond to her for a moment. There were so many questions, things he knew he should probably say, but what ended up coming out was, "Well...goodnight, then."

He got to his feet and glanced around with a slightly furrowed brow. He'd never particularly liked sleeping on a bare floor, at least not in his human form. He glanced at Sigurn, then gave a mental shrug and started stripping off his clothes with a grunted, "You might wanna turn around."

He folded his clothes rather sloppily and piled them up, then shifted into the form of a russet wolf, the gold flecks in his green eyes growing more pronounced. With a huff, he curled up next to the fire.

TreeFolk

Sigurn was not tempted to see him shift, respectfully turning her back to him as she leaned against the wood of the door. She stared out into the night, watching as the rain fell silent and grey on the ghost town. She felt neither the need for sleep nor the need for entertainment, her mind picking apart the story he had told her. It was a lot to consider, which was part of the reason she had ended their conversation so abruptly. She needed time to think about her next move.

It was around 3 a.m., the hour affectionately named the "witching hour" due to the witch's peak of power during the hour, when she heard it. Down towards the palace of the great dwarf king there was a sound like a great, jumble of rocks scraping on sandpaper. The sound of a great beast. It came infrequently enough at first so she did not at first think to investigate, but as it picked up in frequency she pushed herself from the door frame.

Looking over her shoulder briefly, she did not take enough time to see if the sound had roused Elyan. Stepping out into the rain, her keen eyes picked up the slightest of movements coming from the entrance of the king's palace. Loosening her axe in her belt, she began to walk cautiously down the main street of the town towards the palace. Eluf and Stigr swooped above. "Go. Wake the wolf."

DragonSong

Her brothers would find the wolf already starting to wake, ears twitching as he picked up the sounds growing ever nearer.

With a huff and a grumble he got to his feet and looked around. Sigurn was gone. Great. He sniffed the air, then set off, following the trail of her scent- though why he wasn't entirely sure.

TreeFolk

Sigurn took out the axe, letting the weight become comfortable in her fist as she neared the palace. There was a steady stream of fumes surrounding the place, green and rotten. It made her head feel a bit dizzy, and she was willing to bet that it would knock out others.

There... Just out of the corner of her eye she spotted the movement again, though she did not jerk around to see it. Whatever it was, she didn't want it to know that she knew that it was there. She did, however, turn her back to the opposite side of houses to have a little more protection for her back.

She could see that Elyan had followed suit, admiring his courage. Though he seemed a bit grudging, he had taken up the quest.

DragonSong

Moving with a hunter's instincts, Elyan tracked down the demigod and slipped through the shadows to make his way to her side. His sensitive nose wrinkled against the scents spilling from the palace and he bit down on a growl.

He nudged the woman's leg with his muzzle and huffed quietly. He really hoped she had some sort of plan, because he sure as hell didn't.

TreeFolk

Whatever it was that was slinking around the town did not seem keen to start a make a move yet. Climbing the steps to the front door of the palace, cautiously, she directed the wolf. "Watch the door. Let me know if whatever is around makes any kind of move to advance."

She opened the heavy doors, the muscles in her shoulders jumping as she flung them open. Walking into the front room, it took her eyes a few moments to adjust to the dark. As they did, she began to make out shapes slumped in the hall, shapes that soon came into focus. All about the hall slumped the resident dwarves.

Sigurn looked over her shoulder to the door, before stooping quickly beside the nearest dwarf. Pressing her fingers against his neck, she waited until she felt a very slow, very faint heart beat. Asleep. All of the dwarves of the hall were caught in some similar enchanted sleep. She recognized some of them, realizing that they, too, had likely been sleeping for as many years as she.

DragonSong

Elyan nodded sharply and took up a guarding stance, teeth bared and hackles raised.

He really did not like the smell of this place. He glanced around for the ravens as he kept watch, wondering where Sigurn's brothers had gotten to in all of this.

TreeFolk

The sound of a raven's disgruntled cawing caught her attention, which was followed quickly by a sinister chuckling, a sound that was not entirely humanoid. Leaving the hall to stand beside Elyan, Sigurn could just barely make out the sight of a drastically bobbing head in the heavy smog now seeping through the ghost town. It was the approximate size and shape of a human head, but instead of a human face it appeared to be wearing a grotesque wooden painted mask. The head continued to bob, at first appearing as his as the second story windows of the buildings, before dropping low to the ground and swaying in a wide arch from side to side like a snake's would.

And then the head was followed by a neck... A very long neck indeed, at least the length of a giraffe with the elasticity of a snake's body. The neck was followed by a body like that of a spiny centipede with clawed furred legs with spider-like and lion shape. "What manner of beast is this..." She wondered aloud as she watched the sides of the beast's body suck in a deep breath, before exhaling through gaping gills the noxious gas that laid heavy across the town.

"I was wondering if you would wake, Sigurn. We have been waiting for you." An echoing, sinister voice, still not entirely human, seemed to come from behind the mask. Soon other demon like beasts skittered and crawled from the edges of the buildings, coming in and out of their vision through the billowing smoggy fumes. Sigurn counted nearly four other beasts, though it was clear the one addressing them was either the strongest or the most clever among them. "Come to destroy the tree, have you?"

It was then that Sigurn recalled what her parents had told her of their meeting... They had just recently vanquished a murderous tribe of trolls from the mountains, and on their return they had come across a town of dwarves. They became drunk off of the dwarves' superior beer and whiskey and had lain beneath the great tree of the town to create Sigurn. She turned her eyes towards the city center, and only now did she notice the great cavernous hole where the tree had been.

The scathing sound of chuckling returned. "Not quite all woken up yet, eh Princess?" The beast teased, "The witch came for the tree way back when, before you two had your great meeting. She plucked it right out of the ground and took it away and made that fateful cup for you. Then left us with the order to guard this spot if you should ever come to visit. And now you have, and now both you and the witch have returned! What fun! Watching sleeping dwarves is not as entertaining as it looks."

Sigurn growled under her breath and took a menacing step forward. "And what of the tree? What became of it after the Witch stole it from this place?"

"Who knows?"

"And what keeps the dwarves sleeping?"

"Why me, of course."

Sigurn ran a finger over the blade of her axe, as if entirely distracted by it. "Then you have no purpose to serve me. And..." She looked up quickly, grinning wickedly. "Which means your head had been attached to that ungodly neck for far too long already!" Hefting her axe back mightily, she flung it so that it landed deep into the body of the beast. The other four beasts descended upon them at once and Sigurn took off at a run towards the still living boss beast.

"Take care to stay alive, alright Wolf?" She hollered back at Elyan as she threw herself upon the mighty beast's back, jerking her axe from its body and rolling lightly back onto her feet as it threw her. She swung her axe into one of the three other beasts passing by towards Elyan, taking its ugly pig-like head clean from its body.

DragonSong

Okay.

He definitely had not signed up for this.

I'm gonna kill those stupid birds, Elyan thought as he leaped to the side to avoid an oncoming monster. Because that's what these things were, right? Monsters, in the truest sense of the word.

Sort of put his own life into perspective a bit.

But the werewolf didn't have time to think about that. He dodged this way and that, snapping at necks and legs when they were within reach, but mostly just trying not to get himself killed. Wolves were pack hunters for a reason, they worked as a team to take down big game. Eli was on his own, and it was definitely taking a toll on him.

TreeFolk

Sigurn kept an eye on Elyan, though she was finding herself fairly preoccupied with the alpha beast among them. Bending down as she ran at the alpha beast with her axe, she scooped up a large stone and swung it with great might at one of the three remaining beasts attacking the werewolf. It dropped heavily to the ground, the stone lodged deep into its skull.

This seemed to enrage the alpha beast who released another stream of heavier noxious gas, calling back the last two of its pack to its side, leaving Sigurn to face all three without the werewolf to distract them.

As the two remaining smaller beasts charged towards her, she in turn ran towards them at full-tilt. At the last moment she dropped to her knees and swung her ax in a broad swoop across their legs. Both monsters fell forward, still living but incapable of moving, their screams and bellows piercing the air.

Sigurn did not have time to finish them off as the alpha beast swung its great neck towards her, knocking her off her feet. She rolled out of the way as its claws stabbed down into the ground at her and it tried to blow its fumes into her face. Grunting with effort, Sigurn managed to roll far enough away to gain her feet again before throwing her leg over its long, strong neck as it swung at her again. Clenching her thighs around its neck as it screeched in rage, Sigurn began hacking into the flesh of its neck. With each blow the beast became more enraged, until finally she severed its spinal cord and lopped off its head entirely.

Leaping out of the way of the death spasms of the body, the ground where the blood of the creature spilled began to melt away. In strider, Sigurn approached the last two monsters... One had bled out, but the other was still releasing heinous cries of agony. With one last swing of her ax, she buried the blade into the skull of the last monster, effectively silencing it.

Barely even haven broken a sweat, Cass did her best to clean the blade of her axe off on the grass as the smog began to lift from the town. Groans could be heard coming from the great hall of the dwarves, and soon two groggy dwarves stumbled out of the hall. Sigurn looked to Elyan, "You fight well enough for a lone wolf. Now, seems the dwarves have awoken. Come."

Sigurn approached the great hall as doors and windows from around the town began to creak and groan open, and the sound of rushing water from the stream could be heard returning to fill the dry bed.

DragonSong

Panting, Elyan could really only watch as Sigurn dispatched the creatures. A few times he tried to dart forward to help her, but he realized he was more likely to get in the way than anything else.

He gave a low grumble an a huff when she addressed him, rather wanting to say a few things but not really feeling the need to shift back to human form and do so. He followed her to the hall, sticking close to her side and sniffing the air warily.

It was cleaner. Purer. He sneezed and gave a sharp nod of his head. Much better.

TreeFolk

Sigurn led them into the great hall of the dwarves, where dwarves were beginning to rise from their deep slumber in confusion. Only some were alert enough to recognize her, some even stumbling to bow before her though she frowned at their actions. She did not deserve such a reception if it had been the fault of her birth and failure as a hero that had caused them such long suffering.

She made her way to the throne room, where she watched as the dwarf queen's servants tried their best to attend to her as she came out of her slumber. The dwarf king, Sigurn assumed, was the pile of bones and armor laid waste at the queen's feet.

Sigurn walked before the queen, who was trying her best to fight her way free from the remainder of the sleeping curse. Unlike others, Sigurn did not feel the need to bow before royalty, and simply waited until the queen was looking at her. "Queen Dathana."

"Sigurn Idasdotter, or should I say Sigurd." The Queen looked haggard, but otherwise no worse for her long slumber, turning an appraising eye on Elyan.

"This is Elyan, the Awakener. It is he who freed me from my slumber, and who in turn is responsible for the reawakening of your city." Sigurn turned towards Elyan and knelt before him, bowing her head, and soon those dwarves who could manage it turned to do the same.

The Queen bowed her head respectfully. "Then we, and the rest of Adela, owe him a great deal of gratitude. I cannot say if we have the proper accommodations for such company... The hero and her savior."

Sigurn smiled, her strong white teeth gleaming in her mouth, "Ah, Dathana, you are ever the practical politician. That is not why we revealed ourselves... But that can wait until you have the opportunity to begin righting things within the city. I came for the details of what came before your slumber." Sigurn pushed herself back up to stand, "But that shall wait until this eve. I will kill a stag and a boar for a feast. Have your people prepare ale and gather some of the harvest. You will find it has awoken, too. We have cause for temporary celebration."

She nodded at the queen, "Until then," before she turned and walked out of the hall and towards the forest. Speaking to Elyan, she asked, "Are you well after our battle, Wolf? Or is it you simply prefer that form to your two-legged one?"

DragonSong

Elyan huffed, a little surprised, when she called him "the Awakener". Another huff, this one slightly uncomfortable, as dwarfs started bowing around him. He shook his head, but couldn't really protest in his current form, so he just lowered his ears against his skull and tried to look smaller than he was.

He was quite frankly relieved when Sigurn stating that she would go hunt seemed to imply he'd be going with her and trotted back outside, trailing just behind her rather like a loyal hunting hound- though once the comparison crossed his mind he found it grated a little.

He gave a soft, chuffing bark at her question- a wolf's laugh- then took human form. He wasn't quite sure where his clothes had ended up, so he sat cross-legged in an attempt to afford himself some modesty so he could answer.

"I'm not hurt, if that's what you're asking, just a few bruises. But I didn't want to look like this-" he gestured to his state of undress- "in a hall full of strangers."

For some reason, he had a feeling his nudity wouldn't bother the woman. She didn't exactly seem like the blushing maiden type. "Until I can get a hold of a change of clothes, I'll probably stay as the wolf."