Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Rainbow Through the Gray

Started by DragonSong, September 24, 2018, 08:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Marjorie

Melisma had never been a fighter. She could defend herself from an attacker, even a small group, well enough-- but when the dragon hunters had returned to Yoreiq, determined to claim a prize, she'd been unable to do much more than rage and flame at them uselessly.

They'd come prepared; a sleeping toxin coated their arrows and spears, and even just a few cuts had been enough for the poison to enter her bloodstream, and then the struggle was over. She was barely conscious through the days-- maybe weeks-- that passed as she was bound and trussed and carted across the sea to the mainland. Vague memories of a mage standing outside her cage, chanting spells to keep her docile, occasionally dotted the breaks between feverish dreams or utter blackness.

By the time consciousness fully returned to her, it could have been months later and she would have had no idea.

Careful listening to her captors revealed it had only been a matter of weeks, and that the hunters were not hunters exactly, but trappers, traders. They were intending to sell her to a collector of some sort... Whole or in pieces, it didn't seem to matter much to them.

The dragoness wasn't entirely sure herself how she managed to escape. She remembered the mage coming toward her, already chanting his control spells, a vial of her own blood clutched in his hand to ensure his dominion over her will.

And in a desperate bid for freedom she'd lunged against the bars of her cage, startling the man into dropping and shattering the vial. With that small semblance of control returned to her, she'd somehow managed to rend the bars apart and flung herself into the air, narrowly avoiding a flurry of arrows and thrown javelins.

Well. Mostly avoid. A few of the bolts had found their mark-- the motion of her wings was enough to dislodge the shafts, but it seemed these two had been dipped in poison, and she could feel her strength fading rapidly again.

Land. I have to find somewhere to land, somewhere to hide... Desperate, she banked higher into the mountains. Her fur and feathers were not suited to the chill, but she pressed on, hazily scanning the rocky terrain beneath her in the hopes of finding a suitable place to hide herself away until she could regain her strength.

There! Just there, was that a cave? Oh thank the stars!

Groaning with the effort, Melly dipped into a shallow, clumsy dive, her paws barely touching the stones of the mountainside before her legs buckled and she collapsed to her side, panting desperately. Her vision shivered and threatened to go dark, but she bared her teeth and dragged herself forward, into the mouth of what had from the air appeared to be some sort of tunnel.

On closer inspection, it may have been...some sort of ruin.

But she really didn't have the energy to think about that too much. Whimpering quietly, the young dragon curled herself into the sheltering darkness as much as she was able, bringing her tail up to curve around her body, wings folded tight to her back in an effort to preserve warmth.

I just need to rest. Just...for a little...while...

Marjorie

Ulryic

The steep, forested mountains of Adela were Ulric's home, and the home of his family for long generations back, though all others in his line were now dead, his kind hailed from these mountains, and he was well suited for the cold. His thick, leathery hide was covered in scales nearly hard as steel, and his internal flame, that fed the fire in his breath, warmed him from the inside out.

The ruins where Melisma had landed, just happened to be of interest to Ulryic. He'd known of their presence for a while, but he had only just recently heard rumors about strange happenings in the area. He suspected there might be some old magic relic in the area that might have been unearthed or disturbed, causing the strange occurrences.

It was mere coincidence or, perhaps, luck that he happened to be circling high above this particular mountain, slowly making his way downward, threw the clouds, at the time that another dragons practically crashed into the ruins.

Ulryic broke into a swift dive and then spread out his wings wide, causing himself to lift up suddenly, and then gently settle on the ground. In his current form, and with the smaller dragon crammed inside the ruins, there was no way he would fit as well, so Ulryic shifted forms. His image blurring as she shrank and the shape of him changed. Then he stood, only six foot two, and heavily muscled. He was dressed in heavy furs and thick leathers. His heavy foot steps echoed off the stone floor as he approached her. 

DragonSong

Despite her drugged stupor, Melly was just lucid enough to realize someone was approaching. A human someone, judging by the steps. Her head snapped up and she tried to scramble back, shrinking against the stone, lips curled in a snarl. Her eyes blearily searched the dim light of the ruins until they landed on the figure before her.

"St-stay back!" Her normally musical, lilting voice was rough with exhaustion and disuse. A shiver rippled through her body, setting her feathers shuddering and highlighting the gashes weeping iridescent, lavender blood over her fur.

"Stay back..." She repeated, weaker. Despite her best efforts to seem threatening, she wobbled on her feet, her entire body trembling with the effort it took just to stay standing.

Marjorie

"Easy, sister," Ulryic said in the tongue of his people - it was full of deep rumbling sounds that didn't seem to match the small form that he now appeared as. Though she was not his sister by blood, she was his kin, in a very distant way simply by being a dragon of some kind. He paused his movement toward her when she cowered back and snarled at him.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said, then speaking in the common tongue. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a an unlit torch, as if one were simply supposed to be able to do such a thing. He turned his head to the side and breathed a small stream of fire across it, lighting it, so Melisma would be able to see him properly.

"I'm Ulryic Ediehystanwyot, and these mountains are my home. I was flying overhead when I saw you crash," Ulryic said, "I wish only to give you aid, if you are in need of it."

DragonSong

Though she didn't understand his words, the tongue was clearly draconic. Melisma sighed softly, letting herself relax just a bit.

"Yes," she whispered, her eyes fluttering as she tried desperately to keep them open. "I...I need...help..."

Her strength gave out, the toxins in her blood finally dominating her will to remain conscious. She collapsed to her side, eyes falling closed.

Marjorie

Ulryic moved closer to Melisma as she collapsed. There were not a lot of things that could fell a dragon, even a smaller one like her, and especially those larger than he. Setting the torch aside on the ground, it cast long and odd shadows all over the place. Ulryic pulled off his gloves and stuffed them into his pocket. He moved closer still, and brushed his hands along her leathery and feathered skin. His hands were warm, his body-heat maintained by his internal fire... she was too cool to the touch, her breathing shallow. His fingers stooped at two minor wounds. Clearly caused by spears or large arrows, one of the arrow heads was still embedded in her side. He reached into his pocket again, and pulled out a handkerchief, he wrapped it around the arrow head and pulled it free, before putting the two items into his pocket.

"Don't worry, little one, I'm going to keep you safe," Ulryic said gently then picked up the torch and went back outside the ruins. He extinguished the torch in the snow, and then put it back into his pocket. Then he shifted forms, blurring and changing until he was the massive dragon that he preferred to appear as. He reached into the ruins with clawed forelimbs and used a delicate touch, gently pulling Milisma toward him, and once she was free of the ruins, he pulled her to him, carrying her against him, before leaping into the air with a powerful shove of his hind legs. His wings spread wide, and flapped as he began his assent. It was a little over an hour's flight to his home, here in the lower mountains, where things were green year round. Hearty evergreens were mixed with some deciduous trees. It was cold here too, but not so cold as the higher mountains where Melisma had landed.

Ulryic carried her deep into a cavern system, and the deeper they went the more like rooms the caves started to look. There were wall hanging, paintings, desks, shelves lined with books, writing instruments, candles, glowing bars of iron lined stone walls, keeping them alight. He settled Milisma on what amounted to a whole dug out in the ground and lined with soft earth and dry leaves. Across the cavern was a large hearth which he lit with a breath of fire.

DragonSong

It was the warmth that first roused her, breathing life back into her shivering limbs. The young dragoness stirred slightly in her sleep, curling a little tighter in on herself, then settled again.

It took a while, almost an hour, but eventually, her gentle shiftings and whimpers gave way to blinking eyes and a long, catlike stretch, jaws cracked wide in a massive yawn. She blinked again and looked around.

"Where..."

Her eyes lit on the dragon she now shared this space with, and his scent hit her. A familiar scent. Ah.

"You're the one. You saved me," she murmured, pushing herself up into a sitting position. She was still weak, shivering as the poison ran its course, but she was certainly doing better than she had been out in the ruins. She leaned unconsciously toward the fire, closing her eyes with a soft croon of contentment.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," she sighed, giving in to the weariness that still dragged at her limbs and lying down again, though she remained awake.

Marjorie

Ulryic nodded, a puff of air coming out his nostrils. "This is my home," he said, his voice was deep, and booming, even as he spoke softly. For his size, even a soft speaking voice would be loud to the ears of humanoids.

"You are welcome," Ulryic said, tilting his head to the side and dipping it slightly. "You should rest now, little one. You are safe in this place."

Several large strides carried him into the next room, as it were, where the cavern walls were lined with book shelves haphazardly covered in books, scrolls, and folios. Though they looked disheveled, they were actually arranged by subject. With related topics in bookcases nearest each other. He shifted forms again, taking on that of a man which he had earlier. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the arrow head he'd wrapped in a handkerchief earlier. Then he shrugged out of his jacket and tossed it carelessly over a chair. He opened the handkerchief and gave the arrow head a sniff.

"Humm..." he frowned to himself. "Smells like..." He set the thing down on a desk littered with papers and witting implements, and walked over to one of the bookcases. He ran his fingers along the spines until he tapped on one. "Ah... yes, this is the one." He pulled the book from the shelf and flipped threw the pages. "Dragon's bane, but also..." He neared his desk and sniffed at the arrowhead again. "Deadwood root and red thronberry, and witch's vine sap... and maybe, hum... something else? What is that sweet note?"

The walk back into the other room, in this form took a few minutes. He was still holding the book in his hands. "I think I know what most of the elements of the poison that was on the arrow heads. I'm going to go out and collect some herbs, see if we can't hurry along your recovery."

DragonSong

"Oh." Melly lifted her head slightly. "Um...thank you, but you don't need to go through that trouble. It's not fatal, I can just let it run its course."

She tilted her head to the side, eyeing his human form curiously. Were all mainland dragons so...so hardened, so armored, even in their two-legged shapes?

"Ah, forgive me." She cleared her throat and crossed her front paws delicately. "I know you introduced yourself, but I'm afraid I...wasn't fully lucid. What did you say your name was?"

Marjorie

"You might feel drunk for a day or two if you do," Ulryic said gently, "It's really not a bother for me."

Well, if she had asked, he could describe different types of dragons that were as varied as the different types of humanoids. Those dragons of his line her hearty, and built for the cold. Others were small, the size of large dogs, or even small cats. Some were by far larger and more powerful than he.

"I'm Ulryic Ediehystanwyot," he answered, not at all bothered at needing to do so. "May I ask your name as well, and how did you come to be in this situation? I imagine you are far from home... You are from warmer climes, yes?" 

DragonSong

"I am." She dipped her head at him, eyes narrowed slightly in a friendly sort of way. "My name is Melisma. I'm from Yoreiq. I'm here because..."

Her voice trailed off and she glanced back at the bruises and gashes that littered her form. "I was...captured."

Marjorie

"I'm very happy to meet you Melisma, and glad I could be of help to you," Ulryic said gently, "though I do wish that we had met under happier circumstances." He growled softly, a sound that echoed in the cavern even with the voice of this smaller form. "Would you let me tend your wounds at least? I've some things here that would work quite well for that. I wouldn't have to go gathering herbs for it."

DragonSong

Melly snorted a small laugh and tossed her head. "As am I," she grumbled, casting another glance at her cuts and bruises.

Offering a slight nod and a ruffled of her feathers-- her best approximation of a smile in her dragon form-- she added, "Yes, please. If you'd be so kind as to help me, I'd very much appreciate it." She cleared her throat and added sheepishly, "I, ah, don't know how I'm going to repay you for all your kindness though."

Marjorie

Ulryic smiled warmly. "A kindness means nothing at all, if repayment is required in return," he said then shifted forms, to make the effort to cross the room easier, a few steps, and he shifted again, back into human form. From shelves and cabinets he collected a menagerie of items: needles and thread, poultices, little vials of liquid, bandages, and water skins. Then he carried them back to her in this form. His hands had more dexterity in the shape of a man, and sense she was a small dragon, they were plenty big enough for the task at hand.

He selected a vial of milky white liquid and held it up to her. "If you drink this," he said, "it will dull the pain." Ulryic uncoked the little bottle and held it up to her, and if and when she assented, he poured it into her mouth. The taste was bitter, but it would give her a warm feeling all over, and her pain would start to abate quickly.

"I'm going to start with the cuts, some of them need sewing, and even with the milk of the poppy and my numbing poultice, it is likely going to hurt." Ulryic sat down cross-legged on the ground and gently pulled her tail across his lap. He rinsed the open wounds with water and patted them dry with one of the bandages. Then he opened the top on one of the little wooden jar and stuck his fingers into it, before smearing some of paste inside on the wounds he could reach. The poultice smelled of rosemary, mint, eucalyptus, and other herbs. It would cause the area to feel cool and tingly, and then slightly numbed. He let it sit on the injuries for a couple minutes while he readied his needle and thread.

Glancing sideways to catch Melisma's eye, he  said, "Ready?" but he didn't wait for her to answer  before stabbing the needle threw one end of the wound and then the other, and pulling the string tight to make a knot after bringing the ends of the wound together.

DragonSong

Melly snarled, gritting her teeth as the needle pierced her hide, claws scraping against the stone, but she held as still as she could.

The poppy milk did its best, but there was only so much numbing agents could do against the natural magic in a dragon's blood. Panting lightly, the dragoness clenched her eyes shut and set her jaw, shivering slightly as she tried to remain still and simply waited for him to finish.

Marjorie

Ulryic snared a poultice on the open wounds and then went to sewing up the wounds. There were few things that would suffice for piercing dragon's hide in a meaningful way for sewing it, while the dragon still lived.. luckily for her, he was a dragon... of a different variety to be sure, but he knew the materials to use, and hand the strength to do the task - even in his humanoid form. His nimble, expert fingers moved with the ease of muscle memory and he finished one wound before moving onto the next, and the next until the largest of the open wounds were all mended. Then he took to smearing his poultice on all of the open wounds and bruises he could find on her.

"I know the smell isn't the best," he gave her a faint smile as he stopped the jar, "but it will keep off infection and rot, and dull the pain a little."

DragonSong

"Oh believe me, I am willing to endure all manner of odors if you can make it stop hurting," Melly chuckled in reply, then hissed through her teeth as the poultice stung her open wound. The pungent substance did its work well, though; in a matter of minutes that jolting shards of agony had faded to a dull soreness.

The dragoness sighed and let her head slump forward onto her paws, eyes fluttering and threatening to close, though she struggled hard to keep them open. "Thank you," she murmured, twisting her head as best she could to keep her gaze on him. With a slight narrowing of her eyes and flare of her crest--a dragon's smile--she added softly, "I know you said you don't need repayment, but I will have to think of some way to return your kindness..."

Her voice had gone low and sleepy, eyes fluttering again. Her jaw cracked open in a massive yawn before she gave herself a short, brisk shake in an effort to remain awake.

Marjorie

Ulryic smiled as he walked back out of the "room" to put his things away. When he returned he was in the shape of a dragon again. "Are you hungry?" He was carrying a deer he'd caught earlier in the day. He dropped the dead animal on the cave floor and a quick swipe of his claws cleaved it in half. He pushed one half toward Melisma and the. Ate his own in three bites.

DragonSong

The smaller dragon raised her head tiredly and nodded to him gratefully for the offer of food. She didn't normally each meat all that much, but at that moment she was hardly in a position to be picky--not to mention she was exhausted, and any food was good food as far as she was concerned.

Reaching out with one forepaw, she dragged her half of the deer closer and ripped off a chunk of the flank, tossing her head back to swallow.

With her rescuer once more in his dragon form, she was reminded how, well...small she was compared to her mainland cousins. She wasn't tiny or anything compared to him, but he was still almost twice her size... It was rather sobering.

"Thank you," she murmured as she finished her half of the deer, tongue flicking out to lick around her muzzle. "I will do my best to be out of your hair--er, scales--before too long." Even as the words left her mouth she found herself yawning again, and had to fight to keep her eyes open.

Marjorie

Well, she was right... she wasn't tiny compared to him, but she was small, enough even that his first instinct was to think of her as a child, even though he was sure that was not the case. "You're welcome," he said, and then turned, swiping a paw across a large stack of "logs" which actually, were basically whole tree trunks, sending a new stack of them into the burning fire in the hearth. "You're not a bother and there's no rush. You need to rest and recover."

Ulryic smiled faintly when she yawned again. "Don't worry little one," he said slipping back into his native tongue as he, curled himself around a pile of smoothed river stones that were warmed nicely by the fire, "sleep easy, you are safe here." With that he opened his maw wide and stretched out his long tongue in a yawn of his own before he settled and found sleep himself.