Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Playing hide and seek

Started by Anadwen, February 24, 2014, 12:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

The night was dark. Dark and windy as autumn nights tend to be... The stars were hidden by clouds, and the wind was wailing in the woods. It sounded almost like if it was howling, loudly and wildly. It was so loud that it would drown out even a pack of wolves.

One bloodied hand clenched around Aldanith's shoulder and cracked it back into place with the strength of the metal that it possessed. He cursed under his breath. It sure was a bad moment to get into a situation like this... He never thought she'd send someone after him. And he definitely didn't think that they would find him, but apparently she knew more than he supposed.

He ripped a part of his cape off and wrapped it around his right forearm. Almost all of the gauntlet that shielded that arm was gone, only several long, deep cuts on its place. The bleeding has slowed since the blades, now broken on the ground, pierced his skin, but his dark blood was still soaking through the cape. He used the rest to wipe more blood, flowing from the corner of his mouth, and sled a little lower down the wall of a backstreet building. The three that were sent after him were just corpses now, nothing more than devastated remains and a pool of blood around him.

How he was going to get out of here, that he had no idea about.

Alegretto

Grace walked down the street, whistling a short tune. she was doing her nightly rounds to make sure all was well in the village. La'marri was generally a peaceful place, but sometimes there were problems. It was her job to resolve them. She was turning the corner when she almost collided with a running figure. It was Stephen, one of the villages many small children. In the dim torchlight Grace could see that his eyes were streaked with tears and she could here the boyl's shortness of breath.

"Stevie what's wrong, what's going on?" Grace asked the clearly distraught child.

The boy grabbed the half-Orc woman, "Oh Grace there's a fight. With blades and everything! There was so much blood, I think somebody died!"

Grace growled. This was bad, this kind if thing almost never happened around here. She grabbed the boy by his shoulders and looked in his eyes. "Stephen, I need you to tell me. Where were they fighting and who was it? Were they strangers or were they from the village?"

The boy shook his head. "It happened behind Phil's shop in the alley. I'm not sure who it was. I... I just saw it and ran as fast as I could. I, I think they're strangers. They didn't look like anyone I know.

Grace squeezed his shoulders. "Good man, that was the right thing to do. Now, you go to Frederick, the other Peace Keeper, and you tell him what you told me. And tell him that Grace is going on ahead."

She released the boy and stepped around him, before taking off down the street at more-than-human speed. She knew the entire village like the back of her hand and barely two minutes elapsed before she was turning the corner leading into the alleyway behind Phil's shop.

The scene she was confronted with shocker her. The boy was right, there was a lot of blood. Three men lay crumpled in heaps, all of them dead judging by the amount of red coating there still forms. An elf was sitting with his back against the wall to the ship, his breath coming out in short ragged gasps. He was also covered in red and had some serious looking injuries.

Graces hurriedly pulled out her cudgel and put the weapon at ready. "Oy elf, who are you, why did you kill these men, and will you be taken into custody peacefully?" Depending on his answer, Grace might have to wound him a bit more.

((OOC: Sorry for any typos, phone posts are tough.))

Anadwen

"They attacked me." Aldanith replied shortly, raising his cold, hard glance at the woman who approached him. "They attacked me and tried to kill me." That was the only answer he gave her, and despite being in such a weakened state, he took a defensive stance, and refused to talk of himself.

"I'm not letting anyone take me anywhere. They attacked me and I acted in self-defense." he growled eventually, pressing his wounds to stop the bleeding. His dark blood was already dripping off the tips of the metal hand's fingers, but he paid no attention neither to that, nor to the pain he caused himself by the pressure.

Alegretto

Grace eyed the elf coldly. "Well do you have a witness to confirm that story? Someone who saw it all go down? 'Cause for all I know you assaulted these men first."

There was an icy silence for a few moments, before a small voice called out, "I saw." It came from above them, the Grace looked up to see Philip Wellers peeking out from the window above his shop. "I was getting ready to turn in when I heard some scuffling. I looked outside my window and saw this elf run in here, followed by those three." The man pointed a finger at the corpses." He drew his sword and fought 'em off here. Wasn't the elf's fault Grace, he was defendin' himself."

The half-orc had known Phil for years, and he the honest sort. He certainly wouldn't lie to protect some stranger, for the elf was most definitely new in town. This Grace knew because she had met and remembered every single person living in the village, and this elf wasn't one of them.

Phil's testimony leant credence to the elf's claim, and it did seem unlikely that he would try to assault three clearly well-armed men. Okay, she admitted in her own head, so the elf was innocent. She still didn't like his attitude though.

She hung her cudgel from her belt, and addressed the man. "Looks like it was self-defense. Sorry about accusing you right off the bat. I believe we got off on the wrong foot. I'm Grace Haftblow, one of the Keepers of the Peace in La'marri." She gave a little bow. "It looks like you're injured. If you follow me I can bring you to a healer."

Anadwen

Aldanith gave her a faint nod. He felt lightheaded and sick, and trying to draw his mind off it wasn't working. He knew it was, off course, the result of a massive bleeding, something that was hard even on his body, and he had no way to stop it.

His eyes, till then staring at something on the other side of the street, turned upside down, revealing his whites, and fluttered. All of a sudden, his body sled sideways onto the ground without a warning, unconscious. He lay there in the blood, which was soaking into his clothes and white hair, appearing almost innocently peaceful if not for it.

Alegretto

Grace, saw the elf falling. She made a move to catch him but didn't reach him in time. She winced as the man hit the ground. Well that was unlucky. She went over to him and knelt down. She placed her hand on his neck and felt for a pulse. She felt one. Slightly. A little bit of luck for him them. She picked up the elf gingerly, supporting his back and head with one arm and putting the other under his knees.

She walked out of the alleyway carrying him like that and had made it a fair way down the street before her fellow Keeper, Frederick, ran up. "Heard there was a fight..." He only got that far before breaking out into an huge bout of laughter. "You abducting a husband there Grace? I mean he's a pretty one, I can see why you picked him, but did you at least tell his paren..."

"Frederick!" Grace shouted over the man, her normally pretty voice suddenly becoming incredibly gruff. "This is not time to be laughing. There was a fight and this man is severely wounded, not to mention the other three dead behind Phil's shop. Get some other men to help you carry bury them."

Frederick didn't have to be told twice, he knew that when Grace's voice went like that she meant business. He ran to find some men to assist him. The man gone, Grace continued her way down the road.

It took her only a few minutes to reach the nearest healer's home. The elf was lucky. It was Salia's place. She had some of the best healing magic in town. Plus she loved Grace and owed her some favors. The half-orc opened the door and brought the wounded elf inside without a moment of hesitation. "Salia!" She yelled. "We got someone hurt pretty bad!

"I'm coming, I'm coming." Came the annoyed responds from up the stares. A young woman in a nightgown came down the staircase rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "I heard you clattering around out ther..." That was far as Salia got before bursting out laughing at the sight of the half-orc carrying the elf. "What happened Grace, did you steal away a husband? We've been telling you to settl..."

"He was injured in a fight!" Grace yelled, using her orc voice once again. "Why do you people keep making that joke?"

Salia knew Grace too well to be afraid of the woman. "Because dear," she said between laughs, "you're carrying him like a bride." The half-orc looked down and realized the woman was right. Her normally green face took on a very red tint.

She coughed to clear her throat. And to cover her embarrassment. "Well he was injured and this seemed like the best way to carry him. Here take a look for yourself." Grace set the elf down on Salia's kitchen table.

The healer bent over the man, finally stifling her laughter. Now she was ready to begin inspecting his injuries and healing him with her magic. "Well let's see what we have here...."

Anadwen

Aldanith awoke on a table, fairly confused to say the least. Some woman was bending above him and carefully taking off the scraps of his armour. He blinked, staring at her, trying to recall any memories of getting into this house, but the last thing he remembered was a big woman in the backstreet, and three corpses of Deneryn's men.

He rolled over, a groan escaping his mouth, and sled off the table. Without any idea what those two might want, they could be healers just as well as more hired killers, and he definitely wasn't willing to let anyone cut his right arm off piece after piece, too. With a thud, he landed on the floor, and scrambled to his feet as fast as he could, leaving a trail of blood behind himself.

As he reached the wall, he immediately pressed his back on it, taking a defensive stance and reaching after Frostdeath with his left arm. The metal clinked as it touched the handle, and Aldanith had the blade prepared, though still sheathed. "Who are you? What... Am I doing here?" he snarled at the women.

Alegretto

Grace frowned at the elf as he scrambled around. He was still clearly delirious off of pain and he stumbled around the small dining area like a drunk. Not to mention he was bleeding all over her friend's nice carpet. She sighed when he asked his question. "I told you already. I'm Grace Haftblow and you're at a healers. Did you hit your head when you fell of the table?"

She tsked at the elf, and adopted her lecturing voice. "Here we are trying to hep you and you're all suspicious. It's no wonder you have people trying to kill you. Now get onto this table so Salia here can fix you up. She has magic that can close pretty severe wounds, and I'm pretty sure that that's what you want right now."

Anadwen

At her words, Aldanith let go off the scimitar and sled onto the ground. The orc-resembling woman was probably right... They didn't look like killers, and even though he wasn't an easily trusting person, it wasn't likely that they had anything to do with Deneryn.

"If you try anything, I'll gut you and hang your intestines around the room." he muttered, shooting a sharp, cold glance at the two. "But I'd rather not."

He pulled his knees to his chest and embraced him with his left arm, now rid of all armour and revealing the dark metal underneath.

Alegretto

She watched the sad display. He was clearly in serious need of help, why didn't he just ask nicely for it? The actions of strangers always confused Grace. People from La'marri always made so much more sense than outsiders. She sighed and walked over to the mumbling wreck of an elf.

"Alright alright we won't try anything. Salia here is one of the best healers in the village and I'll bet she can fix you right up." She extended her hand to the elf. While she was reaching out her own arm she noticed that his was completely made of metal. And yet she'd seen him using it with full articulation. It was curious. Still, not the oddest thing she'd seen in the free village. The resident blacksmiths and alchemists would probably like to see it though...

She shook herself out her reverie. He was hurt and now was not the time. "So tell me," she intoned, "are you gonna take this hand and stand up or am I gonna have to carry you back to the table?"

Anadwen

With a faint nod, Aldanith took her hand. His fingers gripped around it, cold and hard as the metal they were made of, and pulled himself up with an unexpected strength and quickness. Maybe a bit too much, as he suddenly felt lightheaded, and stumbling on his feet he bashed into Grace.

If it would be visible on his ashen blue skin, all of them would have seen how he blushed, and immediately backed away from the half-orc. He stared at the floor, letting go off her hand and holding the edge of the wall instead.

Alegretto

Grace wasn't sure how to react to the elf. On one hand he was being quite annoying. On the other his reactions were pretty understandable considering someone had just tried to kill him. She sighed as he ran into her and then backed up against the wall again. Really he was being a pain.

She sighed. "Alright elf. I don't care if you want me to help you at not, but you need to get on this table so Salia can treat you."

Anadwen

Aldanith took a deep breath and without saying a word, he let go off the wall and slowly walked over to the table. Supporting himself with his left arm, he pulled himself up onto it, avoiding the gazes of the women.

His fingers started mechanically opening the buckles and reins that held his armour together, and battered pieces of metal fell onto the table, thudding, revealing his paled skin, stained by blood. It lacked the deeper grey-blue hue it once had, characteristic for his kind, appeared drained of its hue, crossed by a large number of scars. When he carefully remover the gauntlet on his right hand, bloodied and cut by a large number of slashes, apparently from a sword or a dagger, more metal glinted on a half of his hand.

Alegretto

The two women watched the elf work, though neither moved to help him. He had made quite clear that he didn't want any. As he was unbucklined his gauntlet, revealing more metal on his right hand, Salia turned to Grace and whispered: "That's a lot of metal. You sure this isn't a job for the blacksmith?"

Grace honestly couldn't tell if she was joking or not. "He's bleeding so he comes here." She replied gruffly.

Salia laughed a bit before walkin over to the table. So she had been joking thought Grace. The healer addressed the elf. "Alright now let's see those wounds. And which do you want, magic or non-magic treatment?"

"I recommend magic." Piped in Grace. "Salia's got some serious power. Fix you right up."

Salia spoke without turning around as she inspected the elf's wounds. "It's his choice Grace, let him make it."

Anadwen

Aldanith narrowed his eyes. He wasn't sure about the effects of magic on his body, which has been through far more of it than he'd be fond of... And a lot of it dark. "I'm afraid magic might only make me worse." he spoke silently.

"My body has seen a lot of magic in its time which has changed it. I don't trust it... I wouldn't risk it." he shook his head, closing his eyes. He has taken off all of his armour already, and revealed the muscles, metal and blood that was underneath. The left arm connected straight to his shoulder, while only a much smaller part of his right hand bore the same quality, standing instead two of his fingers and a part of his hand.

"I wouldn't risk magic." he repeated.

Alegretto

Salia nodded. "Alright whatever works for you. Now I have to go get some things though." She turned to the half-orc and pointed at the wound on his arm. "Tie a tourniquet on that Grace. It'll take a couple minutes for me to get my things and I don't want him to bleed out on my carpet in the meantime." So saying Salia walked away to gather her supplies.

Grace opened one of the cabinets and pulled out some bandages. She knew where they were because she'd been at the healer's house enough times with scratches and bruises that Salia made Grace fix herself up. She walked over to the elf and began tying the bandage as tight as she could around his upper arm. "This will slow the bleeding." she said as she tied it, to forestall any argument.

That complete, she stepped back and admired her handiwork. Salia had yet to return, so Grace tried to make some conversation. "I don't think I caught your name. Or what you do. You mind sharing?"

Anadwen

"Aldanith." he replied shortly, not wincing as she tied the wraps around his shoulder to stop the blood from streaming out of the cuts any longer. Although it made his arm go numb, he was well aware that it was for his own good.

This girl was asking too many questions, and he wasn't in the mood to talk. He was sick, tired, and his patience with these two was running out. He delved into his long white hair with his left hand, covering it with more blood, which left dark crimson streaks in it, and let out a long sigh, closing his eyes.

Alegretto

The man didn't off anything beyond his name, and Grace took it as a sign that he didn't want to talk. Still, it was in her nature to pry...

She was about to ask some more questions when Salia returned with a needle, some thread, and a large bottle of cider. Grace decided that now was a good time to step outside. She was not so much a fan of watching people get stitched up. The needle piercing the skin and...  Nope, not for her. She rather quickly went outside.

Salia watched her go. "Oh the big chicken." the healer huffed. She turned to Aldanith and handed him the cider. "You're gonna want that." Then she brandished the needle and thread and smiled cheerily. "You're not also a chicken, right?"

Anadwen

Aldanith scoffed at the healer and cider. "If I wanted to get drunk, I'd go to the tavern." he snarled. "I don't need that." His cold glance sled down to his right hand, and arose to Salia's face again. "I have seen worse. I had to cut off half of my hand and run for miles... Do you think a needle would scare me?" His voice was now more cynical than hard.

"If it wasn't my right arm that needed the sewing, I would have done it alone."

Alegretto

Salia sighed. She hated the tough ones. They weren't any fun to tease. "Alright then let's get started." He began sewing up the largest gash with practices precision. "This won't take too long..."

From outside the healers house, Grace could almost imagine that she heard the needle sliding in and out of flesh. She shuddered. There weren't a lot of the things that got to the half-orc, but sewing up a wound was one of them. She thanked her lucky stars that she'd never needed stitches. She didn't know what she would do if she ever did.

She heard footsteps on the street, and turned to see Frederick walking towards her. "We got the bodies cleared up Grace." He reported to her once he was close enough.

"Anyone we know?" She asked him.

Frederick shook his head. "Strangers, all of 'em." He nodded towards the doorway. "How's your new elf friend?"

Grace shrugged. "Conscious, at least. He's not really in great shape but Salia is treating him. He refused magic so she's sewing him up the old-fashioned way."

Her counterpart nodded in understanding. "Ah, I see. That's why you're out here. Your wierd thing with sewing..."

"It's not weird!" she replied in a heated voice. "It's something perfectly natural to be freaked out by and I don't want to here about it from the boy who's still afraid to talk to any of the village girls other than me."

Frederick frowned. "That was a cheap-shot Grace and you know it!" The pair were about to get into one the heated arguments so common in their relationship when Salia called from inside. "I'm done Grace, you can come in now you big chicken."

The half-orc woman growled under her breath as she went back inside, Frederick following her. "Alright elf." She addressed the man sitting on the table. "I still have some questions for you."