Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All Fun and Games Until...

Started by Alegretto, March 19, 2014, 07:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

((OOC: Tags to Stormphrax))

It was a bustling day in Selvea. That was very much the norm in the sprawling trade city that Ella called home. She rolled down the street that led to the marketplace closest to her home, her wheeled-chair being pushed by a human-sized golem.

The sun shown brightly down on the pair as Sparky deftly navigated Ella and her vehicle around obstacles. The pair did their best to be unobtrusive, but they still pulled a lot of stares. Not from the marketplace's regulars, they recognized the odd couple and they were used to them. Any strangers to this town or square, however, would be quite surprised by the uncommon sight.

A young girl with short red hair sitting in a chair with wooden wheels attached to it was a novelty in off itself. Add onto that a magnificently constructed golem pushing her from behind and you had a real oddity.

The two moved along, both oblivious to the stares directed at them. Sparky, because he was a golem, and Ella because she was used to being watched. It used to bother her, but she was used to it by now and could effectively ignore the odd looks. The girl chatted amicably with her golem, chattering non-stop. The hulking creation pushing her didn't respond with words, though it did occasionally nod it's head.

Ella was mostly just bouncing invention ideas off of the golem. She knew he wouldn't really be great for conversation, but it was much better than talking to herself. So she continued to speak to the golem, loudly and unabashedly, increasing the number of odd looks she received.

Eventually the pair reached the destination, a small stall in the corner of the square selling fruits. Ella smiled at the shopkeeper, an elderly lady, and the woman smiled back at her. The two were friends, and they spoke warmly about the latest gossip and news as Ella loaded up the sack she'd brought with her with fruit.

It didn't take long to complete that errand, and it wasn't long before the pair were rolling through the marketplace again, searching for the next item on their list. Grocery shopping was one of Ella's favorite chores, since she got to speak with all the shopkeepers, and she loved the opportunity to feel useful to her grandparents. All too often she only felt like a burden.

It took the mismatched pair the better part of the morning to purchase all the items Ella's grandmother had requested, and the pair decided to take a break before heading home. They sat in the shade of the tree and Ella pulled one of the fruits out of her sack. It was an apple, and she wiped it on her tunic before taking a big bite out of it. She sighed with contentment as she swallowed the piece of food.

It was nice to relax every great once and a while. Normally she was so busy working on her next invention in her workshop (a.k.a. her bedroom) that she never had a chance to take a load off. She didn't usually want to either. She liked to keep busy, to keep herself occupied most of the time. Still, even she needed a break very occasionally. Now was one of those rare times. She'd been very busy the past couple of weeks banging her head against a problem with her latest invention. Recently she'd been very interested in the movements of water. She was pretty sure that there was some way to get water to go up on it's own, if she could just figure it out...

She was losing herself in her thoughts, and she felt an idea coming on. She almost had, she was so close, when she noticed something. She'd forgotten to get two loaves of bread. The thought floated through her mind, unwanted and intruding. She was so close, but she'd never get anywhere as long as that annoying thought was there. But if she left, she might lose her idea for good. She could already feel it slipping away...

Quickly, Ella pulled a small number of coins out of her purse and gave them to Sparky. She jotted a quick note down on the back of the grocery list she'd written earlier and handed that to the golem as well. "Take these to the baker and get another loaf of bread, then ring it back here." she commanded it. The golem lumbered off, and Ella sat back, relaxed. She trusted Sparky, and she knew he was smart enough to get the job done right. She just hoped that the baker could read, or knew someone who could.

Oh well, time to go back to her invention. She settled into thinking again, and she had almost reached the place she'd been earlier. Maybe if the tube was shaped like a screw, the water would travel around it and up...

She was lost in thought when the rough hands grabbed her. She tried to scream, but a gloved palm was covering her mouth. Her breathing was constricted, and it only took a few seconds for her to lapse into unconsciousness.

Stormphrax

Dirk sat in the middle of the floor, playing. His feet in their heavy workman's boots were curled up beneath him on the rich rug. His eyebrows were drawn together over his quick green eyes and his long, hooked nose gave his face a pinched, brooding look when he was concentrating. Periodically he would pause and listen intently for sounds in the corridor outside, but for the most part he was utterly absorbed in his work - a careful reconstruction of a little town with straws pulled from the underside of a wicker chair in the corner.

That he was scared was evident in the tension in his frame whenever he held his breath to listen, but he hadn't been frightened enough to panic. He had been taken the previous evening while the owner of the cart her rode in on was distracted by a toll at the city gates. The child-catchers were experts - his limbs were pinioned instantly and his mouth covered. Since then though he had just been left in this room.

The room looked as though it had been someone's bedroom once. Curtain rails still hung redundant above the bricked up windows and some of the furnishings, the rug for example, had clearly once been considered finery. The only furniture remaining was a pair of wicker-backed chairs and heap of blankets, in which Dirk had spent the night. There were enough blankets for eight children, and he had found evidence of at least one past occupant - a thumb-sized wooden horse left snarled in one of the covers - though it didn't occur to him to wonder where the others had gone.

There was a clanking sound outside - something heavy being rolled over uneven flagstones - drowning out the conversation of two of his captors. Dirk scrabbled backwards towards the far wall, legs too wobbly to stand. The door was laboriously unbolted and an unconscious girl on a strange wheeled contraption shoved in. The guards held armfuls of shopping. One of them looked up, and caught the eyes of the shrinking boy.

"Here y'are sonny." He tossed an apple from the bag towards Dirk, who managed to fumble it into his lap.

"What're you going to do with the rest?" he heard as the door closed behind them.

"I reckon it's a perk..."

Dirk felt the sensation returning to his limbs as the voices died away. He crept towards the girl with the short red hair and tentatively shook her arm.

"Hey!" he whispered. "Hey!"

Alegretto

Darkness clouded Ella's head like a muggy cloud. She felt someone shaking her, but she couldn't seem to clear the fog around her vision. It took some minutes of rousing before she was finally able to clear the black spots in her vision and in her mind.

Slowly, and with great effort, she raised her head to look at her awakener. Her vision remained blurry, but she could make out some details. He looked rather young, like a child, and she could see metallic brown hair and green eyes.

Of her surroundings, Ella could see dilapidated walls and ruined furniture. The environment looked old and tired, and the entire room felt somehow wrong to her. She couldn't place it for a moment, but then she noticed the bricked up windows. That sight caused a flash of panic in her.

The surprise put enough of a shock to her system to wake her up to a more conscious and responsive state. "Where am I?" she managed to croak out. She coughed a bit at the end of her sentence. She couldn't seem to breathe very well.

Stormphrax

"I dunno," said Dirk, seemingly unfazed by the coughing. "Somewhere in the city maybe. I was took at the gate, and they didn't bring me too far."

"I got here yesterday. Dunno what they want us for either." He seemed pretty resigned to this situation too. "Hey, uh-"

He scrabbled around on the floor behind him and came up with a crude carving of a horse standing with its head bent down such that it was one continuous block of wood. At one point it had been painted, and flecks of scarlet were still visible on the inside of the nose.

"Y'can have this, if you want. I'm Dirk."

He grinned at the girl, and only in his false smile did his nervousness show through. His green eyes were round and pleading. Please be my friend, they said. Making friends is one way to forget I'm here.

Alegretto

The young boy's words had Ella concerned. Just what was going on here? Had they been kidnapped? She tried to remember as much as she could leading up to her arrival here. She'd been thinking about water, and she'd sent Sparky off an an errand, and then...

With a start, Ella remembered the hand that had constricted around her throat, and she put her hands up to feel her neck. It was painful, and Ella was pretty sure that she had a nasty bruise.

Suddenly, an odd wooden object was thrust into her vision, and she realized the boy was speaking again. Ella took a more thorough look at him. On closer inspection, she realized that he was younger than her, and he seemed nervous. Which made sense, he had just been kidnapped. Ella could sympathize.

He introduced himself, and offered her the toy. Ella put on her most winning smile and accepted the gift. "Thank you Dirk, for this," she took a closer look at the wooden item, "horse. It's a pleasure to meet you, my bame is Ella."

Stormphrax

"You're a girl?"

[[ Ooc: Short post - but I imagine Ella's going to bite back pretty quick on this one. ]]

Alegretto

Ella frowned at the boy's response. "Of course I'm a girl! That's what I look like, isn't it?!" The fire in her eyes dared Dirk to say anything else. Ella knew she didn't look all that feminine, but that didn't mean she liked having it pointed out.

Stormphrax

"Oh yes," said Dirk, backpedaling wildly. "Sorry miss!"

He said this mainly because he knew it was the right thing to do - treading on other people's feelings was a concept he hadn't really got to grips with. He flashed her another grin, this one more relaxed, toothy and a little teasing.

"My mistake miss," he said with an exaggerated obsequiousness. Now he was just pushing it.

[[ Ooc: I really sympathise with Ella by the way - this happens to me literally all the time and I am twenty. I've just stopped correcting people now. :P ]]

Alegretto

((OOC: Yikes, that's rough :-\))

"You bet it is." she harrumphed magnificently. She picked up on his over-apology, but she chalked it up to his age. It wasn't uncommon for young children to exaggerate their sorries. She could remember more than one occasion herself where she'd said more apologies than she'd actually felt.

She sympathized with the boy, and decided she had been too harsh with him. "You know what, it's fine." she laughed. "I probably only have myself to blame, keeping my hair this short." She emphasized her last statement with a small tug on her short locks.

She was silent for a moment after that, before opening up again, "So how old are you, Dirk? It looks like we're going to be here a while, and I think maybe we should try to get to know each other."

Stormphrax

[[ Ooc: Haha - it's not that bad really! I'm confident that I look like a girl! Also, once a fairground stall-owner was so embarrassed that he gave me toy tiger to say sorry. So it's swings and roundabouts... :P ]]

Set at ease by Ella's friendliness, Dirk pulled up one of the wicker chairs. Perched on it, legs wrapped around the chair-legs, he was at the same level as Ella and they could talk comfortably.

"I'm eight," he said promptly, as soon as he was settled. Sort of, he thought.

He chewed his lip as she thought about what she said.

"D'you think we will be here for a while? I don't have nobody that'll look for me or anything. Johan'll just think I ran off..." He trailed off. "But someone will come and rescue you, right? And when that happens they won't mind if I come."

Alegretto

Dirk's words gave Ella pause. Would they be here a while? Who would come after her? Her grandparents would be worried when she didn't return, of course. But could they do anything about her disappearance? She didn't think they were exactly qualified, of even fit enough, to find and rescue her. That left one chance. Sparky. But could Sparky find her?

She had no doubts about the golem's intelligence, he was one of the smartest golem's in existence, one of her father's masterpieces. Still, she didn't know if he could track her. He would try though. She knew he would try.

At least that gave her something to hope for, and something to tell Dirk. "I do have someone who will look for me. He'll keep looking until he finds us. So don't worry Dirk." She smiled as convincingly as she could. She wanted to keep both of their hopes up.

Stormphrax

"Arright," said Dirk, satisfied with this confident statement.

"Do you know why we were took though?" He cast a furtive glance at the door. The corridor was quiet. "You aren't magic are you?"

Alegretto

Dirks question made Ella frown, and his furtive glance made her reply in a whisper. "Magic? I don't think so. I've never used any magic or anything." She paused for a moment. "I mean, my pa can make golems, but I didn't pick up that talent. I guess I'm good with my hands and with inventing stuff, but that's about it."

Why had the little boy asked that? Was he looking for commonality? Could he use magic? Ella decided to voice her question. "How about you Dirk, are you able to use magic?"

Stormphrax

"Inventing stuff?" said Dirk, deciding to blithely ignore her question. (Inscrutability was a technique that had served him adequately in the past.) "I've heard of a golem maybe, but..."

He was interrupted suddenly by the sound of the bolt of the door being drawn back. Whoever was behind it had approached so softly that neither of the children had heard him, despite their sharp ears. At the noise Dirk tried to leap off the chair but with his feet still twisted round the legs he half fell as he got up, scrambling round to put himself behind it, peering over the chair-back wild-eyed.

The voice that greeted them was as silky as its owner's footfalls.

"Children. Come along. We have experimenting to do."

[[ Ooc: Very Disney villain-esque. :P Feel free to treat this guy as an NPC we both control! ]]

Alegretto

The voice of the man that came through the door sent shivers up Ella's spine. It sounded like a piece of dry parchment rasping over stone, only less attractive than that. She looked up to get a better look at their captor, and his appearance only worsened her discomfort.

He was tall and lanky, and his skin had a sickly grey color that was several shades past what could ever be considered normal. He had a short trimmed beard and beady, furtive eyes beneath a heavy brow. All of his hair was jet black, and the icy smile he gave them looked predatory. Still, despite his disturbing appearance, he didn't look too old to Ella. Closer to an adult than a child, certainly, but not quite a full-fledged man either.

His words themselves raised Ella's discontent to the level of actual fear. Experiments? That sounded bad, and she was quite positive she didn't want to take part.

She considered her options. Acquiescing wasn't one of them. Silent rebellion stood out to her as the best choice, and so she sat in stony quiet, making sure to put as much defiance in her eyes as possible as she stared up at him. She made no move to follow him, despite his clear expectations, and if anything her entire countenance seemed to settle further down into her chair, as if she was determined to stay right here.

Stormphrax

The 'scientist' looked back to see Ella stubborn and un-moving.

"I suppose we can always start here."

He crossed the room in two long strides and had grabbed Dirk's upper arm before he could flinch away. His pale hand was unnaturally warm and dry. As the man tightened his grip he felt the hand get hotter and hotter until it was scorching - then he let go. The suggestion of spectral flames played about his fingertips.

Dirk looked down at his arm. He expected it to be burned but he was unharmed, as though he had passed his fingers swiftly through a candle flame. The pain faded to a mild stinging. The shock of it had prevented him crying before, but now that same shock was bringing tears welling to his eyes. He tried to blink them away - now wasn't the time.

"Mm, no response there," said the man. "So you've no fire magic in you."

He reached out again, and though this time Dirk was quicker in flinching away he was still caught firmly. This time the hand burnt cold.

"And... no frost magic either," the man went on. Now Dirk couldn't help himself and started to sniffle. He was in no pain but he was scared. No one had ever cast magic on him before, but more than it could only be a matter of time before his own primal magic was discovered. He had a  terror of that happening.

[[ Ooc: I saw this magic test as working a bit like allergy tests (if you ever had those). Basically you sting someone with a form of magic and if they are magical themselves they react in kind. But feel free to go wherever with this of course! ]]

Alegretto

Ella watched with concern as the man tried a whole battery of elemental magics on Dirk. Spectral sparks, water, stones, and wind all emerged from the man's hand, one after another. How much magic could this strange man use?

He frowned after he ran through the elemental magics. "Alright, you seem clear. Good, good." he turned to Ella. "And how about you, dear? Any magic you'd like to report." he asked her.

His words sent a shiver down Ella's spine, but she resisted the urge to answer his words. She clammed her lips and thrust out her chin defiantly.

He sighed dramatically. "Alright then be that way. You don't have to talk anyhow." he walked over to the girl in her chair and knelt down. He grabbed her hand and ran the same battery of spells on Ella, all of them nonreactive.

"Perfect, perfect," he muttered. "You two will make perfect test subjects." He stood up. "I will be back, and we will have some things to try, together." He smiled eerily at the pair and left the room, shutting and locking the door behind him.