Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shouldn't Throw Stones

Started by Alegretto, June 03, 2014, 08:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

Activity was just starting to pick up again on the streets of Essyrn after the midday break. it was half past three and people were taking to the streets. Some early vendors were already back to their stalls and a few people were out buying. Rahib was doing neither of these things as he hustled around the streets.

He was on his way to a business meeting with a master glassblower he had never met. A risky proposition to be sure, but the man came highly recommended by some fellow master craftsman who's opinions he trusted. He needed a new glassblower after his last one was arrested on some rather, unusual charges, and he'd only let the best adorn his clocks. His customers expected quality from all aspects of his product and he would be sure to deliver, even if those products couldn't hold his interest anymore...

It only took a quarter of an hour by Rahib's timepiece to reach the glassblower's workshop, and the clockmaker stood on the doorstep, composed himself for a moment, and then knocked firmly on the door.

Rhythm

The shop served Jormon as both a workplace and a home. A very delicate home, but a home nonetheless. He stood at the back of the main room,  effortlessly moulding heated glass into a simple, hollow bird with feathers of a deep black. Whenever he had a second to spare, he cast his gaze about the room and smiled at his creations.

As always, the windows to his shop were open, and when the occasional breeze blew through, windchimes and chandeliers tinkled pleasantly. All of the available wall space was cluttered with examples of his stained glass, plain sheet glass and wall trinkets. Three of the four walls were lined with waist high shelving that, in Jormon's opinion, showcased his works of art quite well. No matter which way he turned, he saw beauty. And he was content.

His main workspace consisted of a rectangular, metallic flooring with a furnace of sorts built into the wall. Despite some glassblowers claiming that work was always best when produced while standing, Jormon usually sat upon a wooden chair with a thick glass backing and a blue feather cushion, believing that his back would thank him in a decade or so. Tools of various sizes were scattered about his seat, giving every odd dripping of molten glass the potential to glue a pair of tongs or something similar to the floor.

When he heard the knock, Jormon carefully put down the bird, wiped the sweat from his hands with a cloth, and hurried to open the front door. "Hello," he said in a friendly tone, opening the door wide and offering his hand in greeting. "How may I help you?"

Alegretto

Rahib nodded and shook the man's hand while kissing his cheek. The clockmaker had never had any preference for the traditional Essyrni greeting, but he had nothing really against it either.

"You would be Jormon Dragar? My name is Rahib Tesserahn. Maybe you've heard of me. I'm a clockmaker who works nearby. Very recently my supplier of glass faces for my clocks was, well, he can't supply anymore. Anyway, I need someone else to provide me with the glass panels and I've heard that you're one of, if not the, best. So I've come to you. I believe that we may be able to work out a mutually beneficial deal by which we can both profit."

Rahib finished his short little speech and took a deep breath. He'd rehearsed the words several times on the way here to make sure that Jormon did not misunderstand his intentions, and the clockmaker was quite satisfied with the end result. He thought that he had made his position and desires quite clear.