Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Waltz of the Moon (moonie)

Started by nahash, December 22, 2013, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nahash

"Form a logic standpoint if I wanted the bite you I would have taken you by surprise not announce my presents. That being said I like my feeding partners to be willing it makes it easier on all parties involved." He said as he watched her inch back.  He made no effort to get closer, not wanting to make her more uneasy.  "I know I'm asking a lot but on my word, I'll do you no harm."

Zero

Well that was fair enough, it would have made sense for him to try to ambush her rather than just walk up to her the way he had. "I knew you were here long before you knew I was here, kind of hard to take someone by surprise that way. Maybe you realized that and are now trying to lull me into a false sense of security, hm?"

Oh man, all this back and forth was exhausting. How did people stand to be around each other if there was this much pointless jabber involved? "You know what, nevermind, I don't care. This game is getting boring. Let's play a different one?"

nahash

Axle could not help chuckling, her words were to amusing "My sweet lady, you knew I was there because I made no effort to hide or be stealthy in any way.  I promise if I wanted I could melt into the shadows and even one as keen as you would be hard pressed to find me." He replied.  "well if you tired of this game, what do you want to play, I'm open to just about anything"

Zero

That was probably true, though she'd never admit it. Roxanne prided herself as a hunter. Nothing escaped her notice in these woods. This was her domain, and he was the intruder. The idea of him being able to best her on her own territory was galling. So she ignored it.

"Let's play hide and seek." She said with a sly smirk. If he thought himself so talented, let him prove it. Of course this was going to be a highly unfair game. She was a mere mortal little human, he was obviously not. That only increased the challenge and meant she'd have to give the game everything she had. It would be fun to use all her tricks to try to outsmart and outmaneuver him. He'd be a fun adversary to test her skills against.

"I get a head start. No peeking, ten minutes. If you can't find me by dawn, I win and you get lost and leave me alone forever. If you do find me by then, you win, and I'll let you shelter with me until sunset tomorrow."

nahash

Axle's pulse quickened at the thought of a thrilling chase.  Roxanne was a skilled hunter which meant she knew how to track and so on the flip side of that she knew probably knew how hide her own tracks.  The vampire sat down on the ground and folded his legs.  "sound like fun and I accept your terms,  I'll wait here for the allotted ten minutes and then give chase."  He glance up at the human standing before his feet "I suggest you get a move on before I start the clock."

Zero

Roxanne's flint and ice eyes flashed as she spun around and darted into the darkness. For a few minutes she merely crashed through the underbrush, leaving a clear trail and making plenty of noise, and then she would seem to have simply vanish into thin air if going purely by a sight and sound trail.

Moving carefully she left behind a scent trail, purposely rubbing herself against trees and rocks until she arrived at a creek. Knowing that she didn't have a large window of opportunity, once he started after her she had no doubt he would catch up quickly, she tried to be quick and silent as she plodded into the water, gritting her teeth slightly at the temperature. Rushing across she laid a false trail away from the creek before doubling back and plunging in.

The water was cold, which was good, it would muffle her scent and her body heat as she made for a deeper section of water and hurried downstream.

nahash

Axle waited what he felt to be the requested to than just the be sure he waited a little longer since he was so confident in his tracking abilities no matter how much of a head start his quarry had.  once he started to give chase he moved fast, almost a slow run.  He knew she was blazing a false trail and was not at all surprised when he found that she was making her way to water.

reaching the creek he followed the shore till he found where she had had disturbed the back getting out of the water.  with a running leap he cleared the cold stream.  He had no plans on getting wet if he could help it.  He followed the trail till it dead ended than after a quick search surmised that she had doubled back.

Rushing back the shore, he took a closer look and sure enough, a second set of tracks leading back into the water.  She had failed to cover her tracks but he still fell for the ploy and wasted valuable time and now she was back in the water.  the only question was, did she go upstream or down.

Zero

Had to keep moving. Couldn't stop. Couldn't slow down. Roxanne followed the water for as far as she dared. Moving through water while maintaining a measure of stealth was slow, labored work. Not to mention it was cold, though less cold now that she'd adjusted, but as soon as she stepped out of the stream on the same bank that she'd entered, the cool night air had her skin prickling with chill. It was almost invigorating, but the thrill of the hunt was probably the biggest source of her excitement.

Tilting her head back she surveyed the sky, trying to determine just how long she would have to stay out of the clutches of her hunter. Dropping her attention back to the task at hand she began moving as quickly as she could. She didn't spend the time to try to hide her trail, she was dripping water as it was, that would be a giveaway to keen eyes anyway. Her clothes and cloak were heavy, saturated as they were. Pulling the cloak and hood off her shoulders, she threw them away from the deer trail she had taken to following.

Next she jumped up, grabbing a low hanging branch and pulled herself into a tree. Continuing that way was also extremely slow, but she was no longer leaving a trail on the ground. The temptation to try to find Dirk and have him fly her away was there, but that would be cheating and would invalidate any skill she might have shown up to this point. She wondered how close behind her he was. She'd had a head start, her false trail and his need to decide if she was upstream or down should have bought her a few minutes, right?

nahash

Axle hesitated by the shore for a moment longer that than turned down stream.  To go downstream was the most logical choice after all.  If she had went upstream she would have to fight the currant and it would cost precious time where as going with the flow would assist and not hinder.

like before he run on the shore where he could move faster.  With his keen eyesight he could scan both sides of the stream and he soon found where she exited again.  taking the deer path he found her discarded cloak and then her trail seemed to end.  he crouched down to look at her trail more closely there was no sign of his prey doubling back again.  Leaning against a tree he produced a flask and took a drink, all this running about was making him thirsty.

Zero

Roxanne froze, huddling on a large branch against the trunk of the tree she was in, bathed in shadows as her pale eyes glinted. She hadn't gotten as far as she'd have liked from where she had initially entered the trees. Scarce daring to breathe she observed Axle as he paused to drink, obviously not concerned that he would fail.

The arrogance made her bristle slightly, but she bit her tongue and remained still and silent, praying to Kia that the fact that she was wet and cold would mask her enough to avoid his notice for just a little longer. Not that the huntress had high hopes, supernatural beings had keen senses, the water would only dampen her natural scent for so long.

nahash

Axle took one final swig from his flask and moved to return it to his pocket.  his hand froze inches from his waist. his ears perked up at the faint sound of something out of place.  cocking his head to the side he tried to pin point what it was that he was hearing.

plop. . . .plop water, water was dripping in the woods far from any source.  It was faint but it the still forest his enhance hearing could pick it up, there was no mistake the tree across from him was leaking.  "You can come down now,  I know you are in the tree." he call up to Roxanne.

Zero

Well, that was rather more short-lived than Roxanne had been hoping. She hadn't gotten half as far as she'd have liked in their little game, but honestly the huntress hadn't really thought winning had been on the table. Wordlessly she descended, reaching the lowest branch and dropping to the ground gracefully as her sharp blue-grey eyes locked onto her "guest" for the rest of the night and all through the coming day.

With a sigh she grabbed her hair up and began wringing it out, water falling softly to the forest floor as she contemplated the turn of events. "I guess a deal is a deal. Did you happen to pick up my cloak? Likely not, I suppose I'll go fetch it and we can be on our way."

nahash

"Sorry dear, my hands were kind of tied up if something and I did not have time to retrieve discarded garments but I would be more than happy to go fetch for you now that my schedule has freed up" He said rather facetiously, which he knew was in poor taste but he just could not seem to help himself.  "You are very skill and it was mainly luck that I found you, so soon." he remarked as he returned to a slacking pose against a nearby tree as he watched her wring out her hair.

He kicked off the tree and pulled his robe off as he crossed the short distance between them.  "here wear this till we get can and you can get some dry cloths.  It's cold out and I would hate to have you to get sick on my account".   He held out his heavy robe which had been the only thing covering his it lean chest.   

Zero

Roxanne could only roll her eyes as she finished wringing out her hair, completely ignoring the thick robe he was offering her. Not that it wouldn't have been nice to have something warm and dry to wrap around her, but stubborn pride wasn't about to have her accepting help from him. "I'm fine. I've been much colder than this before."

Brushing past him she began back-tracking, searching for her discarded water-logged cloak. It had been much too heavy and a burden when trying to escape and hide, but it would be a shame to just leave it. "So, I'm stuck with you until sunset tomorrow, eh? Why would you subject yourself to such cold and unwelcoming company anyway?"

nahash

Axle pulled his arm back when she refused is offer but he had not giving up yet. As soon as Roxanne brushed past him, he draped the robe over her shoulders as she pasted by..

He gave here question a moments thought before answering frankly "At first I just wanted to know what kind of person would choose to live way out here.  I thought anyone that was strong enough to make it on their own in a place like this was bound to have some good stories and I am sure you have a tale or two worth telling.  I am also sure you are in no mood to share said stories so know I am here because I am stubborn as a mule".

Zero

Roxanne didn't so much as pause as the robe was draped over her shoulders, she was on a mission now. "The thing about strong people is they never know their own strength until being strong is the only option they have left. As for me? I guess I'm either strong enough to live out here alone or too weak to go back. Take your pick. Either way the story is long and boring. And not worth telling."

It didn't take long to find her discarded cloak, she lifted the soaked article of clothing and began wringing it out a little before rolling it up. Carrying the still very wet bundle in her arms she found a barely noticeable trail and began walking in the direction of her cabin. "Don't worry about my poor hostess skills, once we get to my cabin I'll settle you in to wait out the day and then we can ignore each other until you leave."