Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Search of Treasure [Alegretto]

Started by Ahnnie, December 06, 2014, 11:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahnnie

The young man stood staring agog and aghast at the bustling town life going on about him. The buildings rose like uniform cliffs to all sides of him, more people than could be found at a five-tribe gathering clamored, talked, and pushed about him, and carts bearing all sorts of merchandise rolled past him like lazy wooden creatures. His gray-dapple horse snorted beside him and shied away slightly as a group of running children zoomed past it.

"Easy, easy," Temujin coaxed the creature, stroking its thick neck. It was not a Horse Nomad custom to name one's animals, even if the horse was a sacred creature to them. This fact was greeted with many confused glances throughout the young man's travels, and Temujin applied equal confusion to the hilarious tendency of others to name their animals; as if they were their own children!

He led the horse across the road when everything was clear and came up to the entrance of an inn. Upon coming into Ketra, Temujin had been able to sell a few rabbits and pheasants he'd been able to shoot for some of the local money. After what seemed like an eternity of pointless wandering on the road, the ex-nomad prince decided to cave in and make a living for himself amongst the non-nomadic people. He wasn't even sure if he got what his prey was worth, but he supposed it could be a good head start. Thankfully he knew how to speak Common, albeit with an accent, so when he asked the person to whom he sold the game where he could get better pay, they directed him to this building.

He tied his horse to a post outside the inn and tentatively opened the door to step inside. No doubt his nomadic appearance might make quite the spectacle to those of the more civilized garb.

Alegretto

Adrius eyed the request board mournfully. The most interesting request on the thing was "Please Find My Lost Cat," which really told you something. With a sigh that didn't quite escape his armor, the young mercenary turned his back on the board and started walking towards the exit.

His way, however, was blocked by a young man clad in furs and sturdy leather. The outfit was unlike any normal townsperson's, and it took Adrius a few moments to place it. The garb resembled the clothing worn by tribesman from the Serha Plains, though there were some differences that made Adrius unsure whether or not this man was from the plains.

The young mercenary opened his mouth to say "Excuse me," so he could get by, but someone beat him to it as a small figure pushed it's way past the man in the doorway. Adrius followed the hooded figures movement as it hurried over to the request board and quickly nailed on a small sheet of parchment.

The figure looked about furtively before hustling away from the board, walking towards the back of the inn and leaving through the door there. Adrius, his huge armored frame now facing the job board again, let out another sigh, before approaching the board to get a better look at whatever the new request.

Ahnnie

Temujin entered the tavern area of the inn and was immediately met with a man in armor towering above him by at least several good feet! He drew back, thinking him to be some sort of giant creature. This massive man opened his mouth to say something, but then a small figure dashed in between the two of them muttering "Excuse me!" in a breathless tone, heading for a certain place in the inn. The big armored man followed him soon after, perhaps seeing something interesting in the paper he carried.

Blinking, Temujin recovered from his initial shock and looked around the crowded the area with a sweeping, albeit rushed, questioning look. He needed to take in the lay of the land, of course, as well as formulate a way to ask the ultimate question: How was he supposed to make money? He responded to curious glances directed his way with narrowed, suspicious eyes, to which some of the less troublesome crowd politely responded by looking away. Those on the tougher side of things answered back with glares of their own and little mutters. He held their stares for a while before moving on to new ones. The innkeep was growing perturbed by this and began subtly moving over to the strange young man before anything could happen.

"I need money," the nomad stated plainly for all to hear. "What can I do to get some?"

The innkeeper looked flustered as he saw, in response to the question, many raised eyebrows, mutters, and several snickers. He had enough experience to know that when some young men's odd questions were met with these reactions, they tended to get all puffed up and challenging, driven to prove themselves in this room full of men--and women--of their worth. The results weren't always pretty.

"Oy, I'm sure you canna wash th' dishes fer some coin," a customer jibed.

"Or mebbe help take out th' rubbish out back," another one added.

Temujin cocked an eyebrow. "What-"

But before he could complete the question, the innkeeper was already at his side in a dash. It was rather in vain, for Temujin was only about to ask how much those tasks would pay for. But of course, the nervous man couldn't have known that--he was too busy thinking about the safety of his inn to have even waited for Temujin to finish speaking.

"I'm rather sorry, young man," the innkeeper interrupted. "We've enough staff at the moment. But perhaps you could find something on the request board?" He pointed to a big wooden board where papers of various sorts were pinned. The big armored man was also there, clearing up the reason why he had followed the little hooded figure.

Hearing no response from him, the innkeeper nudged him slowly in the board's direction, mistaking his silent awe of the big man's armor for reluctance. "You don't have to have a job in particular to do these," he explained. "They're requests put up by the townspeople, or even foreigners, for certain things like finding people, lost objects, or new objects for that matter, although it will involve some traveling--and what else? Ah! But you look like an adventurer, perhaps you'll find something to suit yourself." When they finally reached the request board the innkeeper added one last time before going back to his business, "You just have to contact the person who put up the paper you want to take up. Then once they have accepted you, you'll do the task, come back to them, and get your pay!"

Temujin stood several moments staring at the papers, giving the armored man some sidelong glances. Then again at the papers, and then the man. After several minutes of silence, he tentatively asked the other in his accented Common: "I can't read. What does it say?" His finger jabbed the middle of the little paper that the armored man had been reading.

Alegretto

Adrius was oblivious to the tension in the room, both because of his inborn unmindfulness and because of the inches of metal plate between him and everyone else involved. He did notice when the innkeeper lead the young nomad over to the job board, and he couldn't help but notice the question directed at him

The young mercenary considered ignoring the nomad's request, but it seemed a rather ignoble and petty thing to do, and Adrius didn't want either of those traits associated with him. "It says 'Treasure Hunt: reward offered,' and it lists an address." The mercenary sighed for the third time in a few minutes. "These kinds of things are often a hoax, but the board is making for slim pickings right now. Might as well check it out."

And so saying, Adrius left the inn and set out for the listed address, grumbling the whole way about how hard it was to find jobs. He didn't notice if the nomad was following him, and didn't particularly care either way.

Ahnnie

The big armored man said to him: "It says 'Treasure Hunt: reward offered' and it lists an address." He sighed before remarking that ads like these were often fake but there were no better options on the board. "Might as well check it out." Then he left, grumbling to himself, oblivious to the stares he was receiving from the customers of the tavern and the one the young nomad placed on him as he watched his lumbering form exit the building.

"Hmm." Temujin rubbed his chin thoughtfully. If he were to take the armored man at his word, then this treasure ad was probably the only good thing stuck on the board. He did say the others were 'slim pickings', didn't he? That didn't bode too well if Temujin wanted to make enough money to trade with the Common men for much-needed supplies. Therefore he believed his best chance was with this treasure hunt as well. So he immediately walked out after the armored man, unhitched his horse and jumped onto it with the skill and prowess of someone who was practically born in the saddle.

He set the horse at a jolly trot, for the traffic of the town would not allow as full out as a gallop as he would've liked, and when he met the armored man he let his horse fall into step beside him. "I'm coming with you," Temujin then stated. No question followed, for it was not a question. It was a statement. If things had been different, it might have even been a command.

Alegretto

Adrius looked over at the mounted tribesman, his expression inscrutable behind his helmet. "Fine," he told the nomad gruffly, "suit yourself."

So saying, the armored nobleman led the way to the listed address. The house that it led to was nondescript structure, and nothing set it apart from the others nearby. Adrius approached the door and rapped his armored fist against the portal. He waited a few moments, but there was no response.

He turned to face the tribesman. "It looks as if we've arrived before our potential employer. I guess we'll have to wait."

The nobleman turned his back on the building and set his armor into a resting position. He almost started a conversation with the tribesman several times out of boredom, but he remained silent unless spoken to.

Ahnnie

Temujin guided his horse to follow the big armored man. In a little while they came to a common-looking building, the door of which the armored man approached and gave a rap with his fist. A few moments passed by but no one came to the door. Strange things, were doors. Temujin was more used to the tent flaps of his tribe's yurts. All you had to do was keep it open when you wanted fellow tribesmen to know you were home; and then close it when you were out. With doors, you could never tell if someone was home or not. You'd have to knock first.

The armored man turned around to him and said, "It looks as if we've arrived before our potential employer. I guess we'll have to wait." He then turned away from the building and it seemed to Temujin that he--and his armor--were resting.

Temujin dismounted from the horse and tied it to a nearby post. He stood next to the armored man, although not very close. Still, he didn't have to stand close to be able to feel the stark difference between them. The other man was big, hulking, and tall; and compared to him, Temujin was small and scrawny (and Temujin was not small and scrawny at all). He made other men look like twigs! Temujin was very curious indeed about this armor of his. He'd seen Common men in their armor, but it never made them look like this.

"I'm Temujin of the Borkhan tribe," the nomad said at length. "And you, big armor?"

Alegretto

Adrius didn't turn his head to look, it would have been a fruitless effort anyway since the eye-holes in his armor faced mostly forward, but he did respond to to Temujin's question. "You can call me Ad..." he began before cutting himself off with a quick cough. "Sorry, you can call me the Behemoth. It's a, uh, working name. You know, an alias." The mercenary had almost slipped and gave his real name. How was he ever going to get this nickname to stick if he didn't use it himself?

The mercenary spent a few moments berating himself but quickly tired of it. To take his mind off of his close mistake, the nobleman spoke up, trying to continue the budding conversation. "So what brings one of your persuasion into town, plainsdweller?"

Ahnnie

The armored man was about to say Temujin could call him Ad...Ad something, but then he unexpectedly trailed off. He rebounded with Behemoth, explaining that it was a working name, an alias. Temujin nodded. He understood what aliases were. He was also not going to pry if that was what Ad...Behemoth wanted him to do. While Temu was used to giving commands once upon a time, he was not the sort to force things out of people if it made them uncomfortable.

"So what brings one of your persuasion into town, plainsdweller?" Behemoth asked him after a while.

Temujin sighed. "When I think about it, it sounds like it should be a long story," he started to explain, not really shying from letting this man know the truth. What benefit could he have from hiding it anyway? It was drastically obvious. Or soon would be. "My tribe was destroyed. I went chasing after a runaway falcon and the next thing I knew, when I came back, it was as if a wildfire ravaged everything to the ground, leaving no survivors. And it had taken less than an hour...!" He shook his head. "Now, I'm forced to do whatever I can to survive. The wild is not a bad or impossible choice, but it's hard doing everything by yourself. Hence, my presence here."

He was about to say something else when someone started approaching them--or more specifically, the building they were standing sentinel next to--with a very hurried air. This person was also fumbling for some keys. "Might that be our employer?"

Alegretto

Adrius listened to the nomad's story with slight interest. He didn't usually bother himself with other's lives, but he was surprised at how open the young man was. He actually would have inquired further if the furtive figure who had posted the message hadn't arrived.

At least, it looked like the same hooded figure who had left the job. The short man, or woman, looked up at the pair, before inquiring softly, "Um, might you two be here about the job I just posted?"

The nobleman looked down silently for a moment before replying, "That is correct."

The figure spoke again, "Ah, I see," before removing it's hood. A middle-aged halfling was revealed, with greying hair and slight wrinkles betraying his age. "Please, come inside, I can tell you what this is about in there." And so saying, the halfling finally got his keys out and opened the door, entering the house and beckoning the pair to follow.

((OOC: I have an idea what to do with this if you don't))