Main Menu

From The Journal Of High Wizard Astredamus Shawl

Started by Yeti, August 19, 2019, 12:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeti

From The Journal Of High Wizard Astredamus Shawl
Chronicler & Researcher of Anomalous Meddlings In The Arcane

Entry 01

Today I‌ discovered a cat hair in my soup at Elly's. I‌ knew it was cat when the distinct sound of purring became audible at my feet. The color matched that of her pet's coat, a tawny tabby by the name of Purrsimious. For a moment, I‌ was quite offended, but now - upon looking back at it - perhaps it was a sign. A reminder of the paradoxical quandary that I‌ face as the only Shawl in my family without a familiar.

This is not my fault. I‌ was raised to expect my familiar to come to me when it was time. The bond between a mage and his beast is not one that is to be taken lightly. It is said to show that one who forces a familiar summoning will forever be burdened by the creature raised.‌ But wait for it to come to you, and the fates will smile upon that union, blessing it as a god might bless a noble's wedding. However, I‌ am treading close to the age of 56, and would that smile shine upon me, it might find me sooner nestled in a grave.

Mother always wanted mine to be a cat.

Moving right along, Elly's... It was a pleasant reprieve from my studies. Idle chatter is a far nicer distraction than the kind provided by the constant noise of my neighbor's kids as they run up and down the hall outside my apartment. However, it didn't come without a few strings: Namely, her constant concerns over my physical appearance. The beard she says is way too long now, and she thinks I‌ am growing too thin. Hence the cat-soup. But I‌ believe the beard makes me look more the part of a High Wizard. And who ever balked at the idea of skipping one or two meals a day when there's progress to be made studying the arcane?

A few circles under the eyes are worth being remembered someday. I‌ would have said it, but I‌ wouldn't dare upset my sister more. She was always the more emotional one. Alas, my visit with her would be the only highlight of my day today. Aside from starting you of course. Would have been better to start this journal somewhere more interesting, but I‌ doubt this will become a daily routine for long.

So until next,
Astredamus

Yeti

Entry 02

Yes, I‌ am just as surprised to see you as you are, journal. I‌ was not expecting to keep up with this a second day. When I‌ picked you up on the whim of Elly's recommendation, I‌ surmised it to be a fun but futile effort. Record my thoughts and ease my mind on matters of my research... A funny but fruitless idea. Still, I‌ have recently run out of scrolls in my office. So until I‌ receive my next shipment, here we are.

A colleague from Wyrdwood gave me one obsidian shard from his trip to Darken Vei recently. He recounted the story of its procurement away from Mordecai hands at the border. Apparently the anomaly had tread very close to Connlaothian territory, and a camp had been set upon arrival. I've been pondering its properties as it sits, motionless, in its enchanted glass jar. I‌ suppose the tale of its capture is quite intriguing, but the actual item radiates very little magical signature. I‌ do not know if this is a side effect of being in the hands of a potential Adhara, or if the item itself is simply a dud. Still, perhaps the item is only presenting itself as lifeless, and may in fact have hidden itself away from the face of a potential enemy.

I‌ realize I‌ speak of the shard as though it were alive. But one must recognize that all magic, no matter how small, is capable of living thought in some fashion. Whether that be in its nature or simply a tie to a semi-sentient source. Anyway, further study is required of me before I‌ finalize my judgement.

Some other items handed to me today include a petrified finger, an assortment of "undead dragon parts" (they're all kobold...)‌ and what I‌ think was once the remains of someone's uniform, half-dissolved and encased in a dead gelatinous cube. None of these things are actually anomalous or of magical benefit in any way (except maybe the finger) and I‌ am beginning to think the guild is simply sending me whatever junk lands at their desk this morning.

I‌ guess the definition of anomalous has become all but lost on the masses of Serendipity's magic community now. Here is hoping, journal, that they remember someday. Preferably before something truly beyond the realm arrives and nobody knows what to do with it.

So until next,
Astredamus

Yeti

Entry 03

The blackrock glowed.

But the light is dark.

Something moves.

Between the negative spaces.

Something calls.

Its voice rings silent.

I‌ scream out.

And my cries ring unanswered.

Yeti

Entry 04

Well, well, well. What do we have here?

My first inkling something went awry is waking up with a headache and a slice on my index finger.

I‌ don't recall writing anything since three days ago. But my fears of the shard are assuaged. It appears to have some anomalous properties afterall, going so far as to venture from the boundaries of its enchanted containment and probe my own mind to write. I am not sure what the verse entails, and it is not much to go off of, but the migraine and cut on my fingertip doesn't exactly grant me any positive feelings. I've added a few more blocker spells to the jar and taken a potion as extra precaution. Hopefully there will be no more bloody nighttime writings.

Truthfully, I‌ am excited about this find. I've already sent a letter to Wyrdwood addressed to my colleague to let him know that his venture was a successful one. As for the shard, I‌ will keep it in collection with other finds for now. Once veracity with the guild is confirmed and the necessary paperwork completed for the catalog, I can move on to experimenting.

Today's finds included an... entire horse leg. I‌ have no idea what happened for someone to send me this, but I‌ find the smell revolting and will personally write a long letter to the culprit describing what I'll do to them if they step foot near my office again. I‌ also received a letter from the mayor about an excursion to Kishahn. An interesting idea for sure, but the journey is not for another two weeks. Of course, there is a certainty that there will be many young mages and wizards more than ready to adventure in the jungle who would readily take my place. That and I‌ am not sure if I‌ can handle that sort of heat.

Still, it wouldn't hurt. I‌ wonder if Reg is still stationed there. He of all people might be able to inform me of anything worth the trip.

So until next,
Astredamus

Yeti

Entry 05

The neighbor's children are steadily increasing their efforts at destroying any ounce of concentration I‌ have. In fact, I‌ find it difficult to put the words to the page right now‌ (‌I‌ swear, this quill is trembling in my hand). I‌ am not sure what exactly to write aside from the usual proclivities of my trade in the anomalous.

Of course, today was another disastrous assembly of witch ingredients and old junk. Primarily raw samplings of meats and body parts from all sorts of species, some of which appear to belong to the Zantaric Black Market. I‌ do not need these contraband goods in my office. My superiors may think I am planning to do a blood sacrifice. They might already believe that with the sort of material I study, but there is a line between the arcane compared to copious packages of flesh and blood.

So, while I‌ find another use for these items, I‌ figure I‌'d like to write a mini-dissertation on what I‌ consider acceptable here. Anomalies are, in the context of my studies, artifacts and organisms that come from outside our realm. Sounds fair enough at first glance, but it is deceptively simple. Many do not realize that Le'raana exists in its own pocket of parallel dimensions, and that pocket consists of everything from our underworld to our heavens to even many of our supposedly "cosmic"‌ visitors. Everything in Le'raana follows its own specified rules. A frog in Le'raana is a frog. A golden coin is made of gold. Even the most chaotic being that claims to be not from our world is still bound by the order of our universe and its physics. Our most esoteric understanding of magic is based on breaking our own ruleset, but only marginally, so that we may control it. And even then, that magic may only stem from Le'raana's definition of what magic can and cannot do... It's all very loose you see.

The pocket theory states that everything containing our realm is surrounded by a sort of cosmic, semi-permeable membrane.‌ This means that there is a chance for something to push through. Something that doesn't follow our rules. In its homeworld, it might have been a frog. For us, it simply cannot be. We can't process it as a frog, and because of that, anomalous properties surface. Pieces of things that cannot be dismissed as mage-induced enchantment, or even beings nobody can fully comprehend because they traverse that membrane constantly are all anomalies. It is an extremely rare thing to see, even more rare to physically hold, and the properties may be so inconsistent that they simply "glitch,"‌ for lack of a better term.

It is not cursed, though cultists may try to worship it. It is not inherently powerful or capable of intent, though it may appear to grant miracles and devastate at the same time. Some of our most horrifying artifacts discovered in ages past were anomalies used in warfare. Some of our most beautiful sights may have stemmed from an anomalous origin.

And my job, though so many do not acknowledge it, is to keep them from tearing our universe apart. That is why I‌ study them. I‌ do not fear the unknown. I‌ embrace it.

So until next,
Astredamus

Yeti

Entry 06

Elly cornered me today, asking about the trip to Kishahn. I had to remind her of my disinterest, since the trip is so out of the way and I‌ have so much to do. She pointed out that, aside from writing in a tiny box all day and chatting it up with Wyrdwood fellows, I‌ have not - in fact - done much at all. She insists that I‌ take up the offer and travel to the jungle. Perhaps I‌ will find something worthwhile there, or at the very least be eaten by a tiger.

We shared a good laugh, but it did get me thinking more about the trip. Reluctantly, I‌ submitted my acceptance letter to it, along with sending another for Reg. Although his place lacks any proper naming channels for conventional mailing, I‌ am confident he'll receive it. His intuition is a sight to behold.

I suppose I‌ should pack some lighter clothes. My robes won't agree with stepping over branches and jungle muck. It is a shame because I‌ do want to look the part of my status as a wizard. I‌ suppose just my beard will have to do. Elly has promised to help me with purchasing rations and tools for the trip. Ever the better survivalist. At least it benefits me.

Unfortunately Journal, you will simply be staying home. I‌ would bring you but there is only room in my pack for either you or my spellbook. I'd like to have a better chance of getting back in one piece.

So until next,
Astredamus

Yeti

Entry 07

Not much to report today. As we lead up to the eventual Kishahn trip, the typical days at my office have been spent in regular, tedious inertia. Am I‌ looking forward to the trip?‌ I‌ suppose so in a sense. I am simply stunned at how quickly I made my decision. Elly's excitement must be infectious.

You would have thought she was the one leaving. Yesterday was the day we went out to the shop to purchase tools. I now have enough rope to chart the perimeter of Arca. Two pairs of brown boots hang on my bedroom door, and I can now say I have been effectively trained to hold a dagger. I wonder if she really thinks I'll be utterly defenseless against a tiger. It is not as if I do not hold a pocket spellbook at all times. Sure it may take some time to read the incantation, but a fireball does wonders holding wildlife at bay. It sure does dissuade Purrsimious from trying to sit on my lap while I'm writing. I think I‌ can take care of myself.

Nevertheless, I‌ am ready for my trip. Tomorrow is my last work day before I meet up with the travelling party and learn the details of our visit. The ship will leave the day after that. I suppose having a journal is good for something. When it comes to being able to jot my thoughts down like this my day feels much more organized.

So until next,
Astredamus