Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Journal of Durin Stoneborn

Started by Longbeard, June 04, 2020, 04:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longbeard

Most people don't consider dwarves to be overly sentimental, surely they aren't the kind to keep their thoughts recorded in a journal, that is the stuff of humans and elves.  Durin isn't a "normal" dwarf however, and if truth be told he was rather fond of elves anyway.  Of course he owned a journal, he felt compelled to keep record of his journeys and suspected that some day they would be of interest to others. 

Durin smiled as he looked down upon his desk, the journal was closed before him, he placed one rough hand upon it's cover and smiled as he felt the worn leather, this was a special book in more than one regard.  Not only did it hold a lifetime of musings, wisdom, drawings, and deepest feelings, it is a magical tome that opened to whatever date the writer wanted to read or edit.  It is incapable of being ripped, smudged, burned, or altered by anyone except its owner, and if lost will inevitably find its way back to Durin.  Opening the journal to a fresh page, Durin then reached into his satchel and grabbed a pencil, then began to write. 

"For most of the past few decades I have lived a life of peace in the Terrin Mountains, before that I wandered the Serha Plains learning the ways of tribal folk, and before that explored the unwelcoming regions of the Moraki Desert.  It seems that I've spent a lot of time searching for solitude, while having contact with those of this world I have chosen to live apart from them, a lonely life to be sure and one that I cannot endure any longer.  My travels have slowly taken me north, and I have now set my eyes on Ketra, the din of humanity calls me once again."

Durin closed the journal and carefully placed it, along with the pencil, in his satchel.  It was time, he rose from his desk and turned to make his way toward the door of his abode, opening it he stepped out and began what was to be a long journey.  He was leaving his longtime home in the mountains and making his way down into the Draconi Forest, and through that to Ketra, he was not sure what called to him or what he expected to find but there was a spark of adventure within him that he had not felt in some time.