Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

With A Good Compromise, No One Is Happy [spice!]

Started by DragonSong, April 30, 2021, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Uhg. A romantic.

Of course.

Swallowing a groan, Mikhail propped his arm on the back of the chaise and rested his chin in his hand, staring blandly out through the window at the city street. Andreas continued to ignore him, frowning slightly as his father and their mother seemed to be moving more toward the point of this whole ridiculous charade.

Reina's eyes lit up and she leaned a little closer to Gavriella, slipping further and further from teasing her brother as she found an unexpected but genuine connection. "Oh, I adore tragic romances," she laughed softly. "Mother says it makes me melancholy, but I just find them so much more interesting. But you said science--what areas have you studied?"

It was unlikely Connlaoth allowed women to be anything so ambitious as an alchemist, but even a basic understanding might be interesting to talk about. Besides, Reina herself often found she chafed under her parental expectations when it came to her more scholarly interests; it would be nice to have a friend to talk to about such things.

visualspice

"Oh, just little things here and there of interest. But the books I've tried to get into escape me. They can be so complicated." She smiled. "Chemistry, but mostly botany. I was always interested about the magical truths behind plants."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Reina's smile widened. "Oh, little sister." She squeezed Gavriella's hands lightly. "I think you and I are going to get along just fine."

"She's not your sister," Andreas snapped, unable to ignore this anymore. Then he seemed to realize what he'd done and cleared his throat, glancing away. "I mean—not yet."

Reina raised a hand to hide her small smirk. The two boys were really more alike than she thought either of them wanted to admit. "Of course, my apologies."

Suddenly standing, she clasped her hands in front of her body and said brightly, "Would you show me the house, Gavriella? I think the heads of house will be at this for quite a while, there's no reason for us to die of boredom with our brothers." Smirking, she added innocently, "Unless you'd like to come along, Misha."

Just as she'd planned, her mother caught that last part and clapped once, beaming. "Oh, you should! Get to know each other better, yes? And I assure you, Reina will serve as an excellent chaperone," Milana added to Gavriella's parents.

Andreas opened his mouth to protest, but nothing came out. As the eldest child—and Gavi's brother—it was his duty to start with their parents while the arrangements were finalized. He hated it, but he knew he'd catch hell from their father if he tried to insist on going with them.

visualspice

The idea made her smile and as she rose to her feet, she stiffened at the suggestion her intended join them. She tried her best not to let it fluster her but forced smiles and agreement had her ignoring where her feet where going, as she tripped over the nearby piano... which was very obviously in her way!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

To her credit, Reina didn’t comment as she caught the other woman’s elbow and helped her right herself. “You should show us your favorite room in the house,” she encouraged with another bright smile as they made their way out of the parlor. Then, over her shoulder, “Shouldn’t she, Misha?”

Mikhail sighed and shot his sister a sharp look before offering a polite smile to his betrothed. “I am at your disposal, my lady.”

visualspice

"Oh well, the sitting room is a lovely place to sit and read, located in the southern most wall facing the garden. It's conveniently beside the library so one mustn't travel far to enjoy the two. I suppose I could show them both? If it isn't too much trouble. " Naturally!

DragonSong

"That sounds lovely, Gavi. May I call you Gavi?" Reina linked her arm through Gavriella's as they walked, leaving her brother to trail along behind them, looking simultaneously bored and annoyed.

Idiot, she thought fondly, shaking her head at him over her shoulder before turning her attention back to her companion. Leaning in a little closer and lowering her voice, she added, "A word of advice--if you refuse to use his full name, he becomes much easier to manage. He'll act as though he hates it, but he likes being Misha when he can."

visualspice

Gavriella stole a glance at Mikhail, briefly.
"Oh? So Misha is his nickname. " she thought it over as they walked.  "If I might ask, how did he get it? Is it just a known nick name to Mikhail? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar of his name's origin."

DragonSong

"It is, but almost no one uses it anymore," Reina replied with a chuckle. "It's incredibly old fashioned."

"I heard that," Mikhail drawled from behind them. "Just what are you telling her?"

"Nothing you need to worry your pretty head about, dear brother," Reina chirped with a bright smile thrown back to him, which he returned by muttering something uncomplimentary in an old Serenian-Fae dialect under his breath.

visualspice

"Oh?" How curious! Perhaps he aimed to make it in fashion?

At the siblings exchanged, she was reminded of how she and Andreas would bicker over silly things. She even laughed about it and flushed while tucking back her lips to hide her smile.  Thankfully, they were now before the sitting room as she drew their attention to the unlit room.
"The sitting room is in here." She hesitated before deciding against stepping inside and gestured for the pair to follow.

"The library is over here." Just the next door over.
She stood before it, door open and inviting as she gushed over the walls covered in neatly stored books. The maids ensured of that, or rather their parents who were constantly enforcing the need for tidiness.

"Come, let me show you around."

DragonSong

"Please do!" Reina took her arm again and beamed at her before looking around.

Alright, so she was mostly having fun at her brother's expense. Still, she would never say no to a good library.

Mikhail stood in the doorway, leaning up against the frame and appearing disinterested in the whole affair as the two young women entered the room.

visualspice

As they strolled beside the wall of books, Gavriella gushed over this one and that, and began to go over fond memories in this place- like how a chip from the mahogany paneling came about from her and Andreas playing a game of 'escape the mage'. And another singe on the floor where she had dropped a candle in her youth. She sighed at the thoughts before finding herself returning to the door and staring at Mikhail, who appeared too preoccupied elsewhere.

And then she realized she was smiling and dropped her gaze before looking back to Reina.
"Shall we continue?"

DragonSong

But Reina had disappeared among the stacks, leaving her brother and his fiancée alone.

Damn her.

Mikhail sighed and looked down at Gavriella with one eyebrow raised. "I would not be adverse to continuing, my lady, though propriety demands we wait for a chaperone." His lips twitched up on one side. "Of course, I was rather under the impression that you don't care much for propriety. At least judging from our limited interaction last night."

Oh, that was stupid. Why did I say that?

He really wasn't trying to be an asshole, it just...happened. He was no more thrilled with an arranged marriage than he imagined his hapless fiancée was. Still, that didn't give him license to take it out on her.

He sighed and closed his eyes, then pinched the bridge of his nose for a moment before opening them again. "I apologize. That was unkind."

visualspice

Gavriella's face fell. Infact, her face went from white to red before she tried to search his eyes for the meaning behind such a statement, but then he was apologizing and she was already moving past him.

"Your right." Her back was to him as she walked away. "We should rejoin our parents."

DragonSong

Shit.

"My lady—Gavriella, wait." He reached out to take her arm, lightly enough that she could pull away if she wanted, but still certainly trying to keep her from leaving.

"I—" He gritted his teeth, then sighed. "I am sorry," he muttered, almost sullen. "About last night. I shouldn't have—I wanted to meet you. Just you, without all...this." He gestured vaguely, seeming to indicate the townhouse at large. "But I was...I was quite determined not to like you, you know. You rather ruined that expectation."

He tried for a smile, and it was the first since entering the house that seemed to be sincere. "I understand if you don't want to accept my apology. I was...I am a bit of an ass. Ask Reina. But I didn't..." He paused, sighed again, then dropped his hand and shook his head. "You are not the only one who was not consulted on this marriage business," he muttered. "I'll admit I—it was a poor, juvenile form of rebellion. It was unworthy of you, and I'm sorry."

He looked away, mouth a tight line and a muscle ticking in his jaw, clearly uncomfortable.

visualspice

He wasn't the only one uncomfortable. After all, since the ball... she had been having very steamy thoughts about losing herself to the strange ball goer prior to her arranged marriage and ran off with him instead. Now the man she just fantasized about only last night (aaaand, a few times in the morning- a deed to help ease the tension and... she never knew she had it in herself to please herself so much in a day!) Was here... her betrothed!

And of course that reminder came now of all times....

But did he mean it? That she was... something more than he expected?

She hated that the heat on her face ( and unfortunate heat elsewhere) were only growing. Maybe if she and Mikhail just disappeared into the back room and...

What was wrong with her?! Why were her throats all about bedding the man all of a sudden and why.....

"I need to excuse myself a moment. " She moved away, only pausing, her back to him to add through a sigh. "Alone." She didn't wait long for an answer, just moved in any direction but his.

DragonSong

"Of...course."

Mikhail watched her go, a confused furrow between his brows. That had been...odd. He didn't know why he was expecting, exactly, but it wasn't that.

"So? Did you apologize?"

He sighed, turning to face Reina where she leaned casually against a bookshelf. "Don't pretend you planned all that."

She quirked an eyebrow. "And how could I possibly have done that? It's not as though I've been dealing with your bullshit since I could walk, and I know how very little remorse it takes to turn you back into a complete sap."

"...Fuck you."

"Language, brother," Reina laughed as she stepped around him, meandering back to the parlor.

visualspice

She wasnt sure she wanted to return yet or not. Returning meant accepting her fate... and she still felt reluctant of it.  So she found her way towards the southern hall, whose tall windows reached near the ceiling and the view stretched for miles of rolling terrain. She stopped there for a long moment, knowing she shouldn't linger for long but also internally struggling with too many truths.

Her eyes fell to the stables.
Maybe she should run away....

DragonSong

"...Gavi?"

Andreas had gone in search of his sister and run into Reina returning to the parlor. He'd instantly been worried about the idea of his sister left alone with Mikhail, but apparently Gavriella had gone for a moment alone.

He supposed that was something of a relief.

Still, he found himself shifting awkwardly as he tried to approach her quietly but without startling her. "Are you...alright?"

visualspice

She tensed but didn't turn to him.
"I want to be alone. "