Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Returning home (open)

Started by Nahashsan, March 04, 2023, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahashsan

Following her directions they slowly made their way through town. Halfway there they lost the sun completely. At first this wasn't a problem because there was street lamps and brightly lit storefronts.  As they got to the poorer side of town the lamps became less and less common until there was none at all.  Now in complete darkness it started to rain.

"Just our luck, I hope we are getting close because I still have to trek all the way back in this." As if the accent his statement a loud crash of thunder sounded while lighting lit the sky.

visualspice

Just then, a few splatters of rain began to fall. The winds were picking up, the sky darkening.  Douzen moved closer to their sides and the rains began to fall more heavily. 

Althea cursed.

"My place is just a few blocks away," She lied. "You should head back. Douzen can help me get home."

She had to speak louder, the rain continuing to fall heavier. 
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nahashsan

"It's fine I'm already soaked" he said between the crashing of thunder. "I want tobe sure you make it back safely."

visualspice

She grit her teeth. She'd rather not have him take her all the way..
Because.. well..

It was a road to nowhere.

And how would he react when he realized she was homeless?

She she shook her head, stubbornly.

"No! You should go!" She insisted over the rain. "The storm's here just get worse! I'm used to this!"

And the poor girl was thoroughly soaked, her rags of clothing now suctioning against her once hidden body, hinting at the womanly figure beneath.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nahashsan

Soules wanted to see the job through but the storm was putting him in a mood and he didn't feel like arguing in the rain.  " If you insist that I leave you here I will but promise me you will meet me at the Tusten Tavern tomorrow morning I want to get you some fresh bandages and ointment".

As he turned to leave he could help but noticed her figure under her wet clothes. 'Way to young for me' he thought to himself. Giving Dozen one last pet on the head turn and started to retrace his steps.

It took longer than Soules would have liked to return to Flanagan's but he was relieved to find Max right where he left him. He thought about grabbing his oil skins from him pack but thought better of it. He was already soaked so what good would they be.  Taking Max's reins he headed for the Tusten Tavern with thought of a warm bed and a hot meal filling his mind.

visualspice

The rains continued into the night, only lightening up in the early morning. But even as the skies began to clear, it was equally clear the young woman from last night wasn't showing up.

She had taken to a hot fever, falling in and out of a sickened sleep from where she lay in a cool corner- barely keeping dry from the storm. But who would notice a dirty heap in the corner? She'd appear like a pile of rags were it now for her dog, that remained pressed into her side.

Nahashsan

Soules sat around till nearly noon and Althea still hadn't shown up.  She could have just blown he off. She was stubborn enough for that but he felt it was something more. 

Growing tired of sitting around he decided to retrace his steps from the night before.  It took him a while. Everything looked different in the light and he had to back track a few times but in the end he found the alleyway.

He saw Dozen and rushed to his side.  It was only then that he noticed Althea. She looked so small curled up on the ground.

visualspice

Douzen didn't rise to greet him, but whimpered and wagged his tail. He prodded at Althea 's side and whimpered again.  The young woman didn't stir.

Nahashsan

Soules went forward and felt Althea's forehead. She was burning up but at least she was alive.  He wasted no time scooping her up. Holding her like one would a child , he headed back to the nice side of town to look for a doctor or a healer.

He asked anyone he happened to meet where the nearest healer was and soon found the shop of a older lady that sold herbs. He stopped at the door and knocked frantically.

visualspice

By then, Althea began to stir. She murmured incoherently before peering up at Soules, confused.  Douzen immediately began licking one of her hands furiously and prodded at Soules' leg.

Nahashsan

Just as Soules was looking down to see what had gotten into Dozen the door cracked open. 

A small frail looking lady peered out from behind the door "yes, what do you need" she ask in a small voice.

"She is very sick and and was unresponsive  when I found her" he exclaimed.  "You where the first healer I could find, can you help her."

"I normally just sell herbs but being her in, I'll see what i can do." She said as she opened the door wide. You'll have to lay her on the floor, I'm not really set up to treat patients." She pointed to a small rug in the middle of the shop.

Soules stepped into the dimly lit shop hand was hit with the smell of herbs and incense. As his eyes adjusted he saw where the lady was pointing.  Carefully he laid Althea down on the rug.

visualspice

Uncertain what was going on, a hand suddenly clung to Soules arm as he laid her upon the rug.
Even her hands were hot to the touch, yet she was shivering as if she were cold. 

Nahashsan

Soules laid her down but held onto her hand to comfort her.

"Wait here for a moment while a get some things together" the healer said as she went behind the counter and through a curtain leaded to a unseen back room.  When she returned she had a blanket and several small bottles.  She set the botyles down and folded the blanket up and placed it under Althea's head as a makeshift pillow.

She got up again and retrieved a kettle from a small stove in the corner. Pouring some tea into a glass she began to add the contents of the bottles to the cup before offering it to Soules.  "Have her drink this, it will help break the fever"

He took the cup and put it to her lips with his free hand.  "She also has a number of dog bites that need cleaned" he told the healer.

visualspice

She choked as she sipped on the offered tea, but was eventually able to drink more with better luck.

At the mention of dog bites, the old woman turned towards the dog.
"I'm assuming not from this creature?" She asked, moving to go get her supplies to treat wounds.

Nahashsan

"Easy there" he said softly. Turning to the healer he replied "that is Douzen, Althea here was trying to rescue him from a pit fight." He gestured first to the dog than to the young lady on the floor. He paused for moment then added "I'm Soules Jolon, and you are?"

"I am Kishra Anver" she said as she returned with a large bowl of medicated water and some clean towels. she started to unwrap the old bandages and inspect the wounds. "Please hold her still, this stuff burns a little but I have to clean the wounds before I can redress them" she ask as she wetted the towel and started to clean the bites that were red and inflamed.

Soules set down and cradled Althea's head in his lap doing his best to keep her still.

visualspice

Douzen moved closer towards Althea, almost so that he was in the way. But as the woman went to clean and tend to the wounds, it was enough to sober Althea briefly from her fever as she let out a cry and squirmed beneath the pair.

Douzen, sensing his master's discomfort, inserted his face between them all, softly yipping and licking in protest.

Nahashsan

Soules reached out and petted Douzen. "It's ok boy, this nice lady is helping." He continued to cradle Althea's head as she squirmed.

Kishra was patient and worked around the dog as best she could.  After washing the wounds she gently dried them. Have drying she applied fresh ointment and clean bandages.

visualspice

In her fevered state, she had turned and curled up against Soules, seeming much smaller and frail than she already was. Douzen only protested now with soft noises, buy it seemed the woman ought to be okay- once her fever would break.

Nahashsan

Once she was finished with dressing the wounds Kishra turned to Soules "I have done that I can. Now she just needs a few days in bed to recover. Unfortunately she can't say on my floor. She will have to be moved."

"I understand, I'm not from here so I'll have to find a inn, also what do I owe you  for the medicine and help." Soules replied.

"It'll be three gold but I'll include more of the tea for her fever. Have her drink it four times a day." She spoke as fetched more of the powdered tea mix.

Soules thanked Kishra for her time and handed over the coin. Three gold was a lot but could you really put a price on a life?  As gently as he could, he picked Althea up and headed for the door. Back in the streets he returned to the inn he had stayed the night before. He settled her into the only bed and pulled up a chair to wait with Douzen by his side.

visualspice

When Althea woke, she was much more lucid than before. It took her a moment to realize she was inside...
In a strange place..
And with...

Douzen nudged her hand softly, licking her fingers as his tail thumped happily. She smiled and scratched his ears. The shaggy dog was alright.

Then she froze- realizing she wasn't alone.

Soules was there too. He must've been watching over her. That much she could deduce from her memories. She frowned but studied him, truly studying him before speaking. 

"Thank you. I know you didn't need to help me but..." she shuffled uncomfortably.  Here she was.

"Why?" She asked after a time. "You don't know me. Or know Douzen."