Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Are You Calling Me a Sinner? [M]

Started by DragonSong, October 09, 2023, 09:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

It took longer than it should have for Varyyn to wrestle himself back under control enough to reinstate his glamour. Once he had, it took another few moments of deep, controlled breathing before he felt certain he could face his tiresome guests without losing control.

Ilia was in so much trouble.

wandering_giraffe

2 Weeks Later...

Vaelin grumbled as he made his way to Varryn's empty townhouse. He'd been planning this ever since he had been "invited" to Varryn's townhome.
It was night out, but there was a full moon, and not a single cloud was in the sky. He muttered to himself. How was he supposed to be sneaky when there wasn't any cloud cover? He double checked his pockets. Good. All of his tools he needed he still had. He had made it to Varryn's street. He spotted the small opening in the hedge that he had identified earlier in the week, and snuck inside Varryn's yard.
The townhome was dark. He had heard through the grapevine that Varryn and Illia had left, and were back at their residence. That was good, because he didn't want to hurt anyone. He just wanted to make a statement. Which is exactly what he was doing.
Vaelin double checked in the windows, making sure nobody was home.
He started lining the outside of the house with dry tinder, sprinkling a magic powder he had obtained that would guarantee the fire he lit would catch, but also not spread beyond the townhome.
He heard a branch snap, and ran behind a tree, cautiously peeking out.
It was just a squirrel.
He sighed and continued lining the house. It took him about 30 minutes to line the house good, and when he was done, he stepped back to survey his work. He grabbed the matches out of his pocket and struck them against the metal sole of his boot. The first one didn't catch. He sighed and tried another one. That one caught, and he dropped it into the dry tinder surrounding the house. The fire spread faster than he was expecting, and he rolled under the hedge, leaving the scene.

DragonSong

It should have taken the better part of a week to return to Reajh from Uthlyn when word of the fire reached Varyyn's household. He managed to make the journey in three days--Ilia in tow, of course, because he certainly didn't trust leaving her to her own devices after the stunt she'd pulled.

Still, he made sure she was safely warded and had charged Twyla with making sure that her mistress stay in their room at the inn before setting out into the city.

He didn't need any supernatural power to learn where Master Blackthorn was living these days; he'd known for years, actually, from carefully placed questions with his own business interests in the city. He had told himself it was just to keep tabs on a potential threat.

He had never really believed it.

What did require a bit of demonic intervention was getting into the house without being noticed. A simple glamour to make him look like a servant worked at first, but then he needed use of some proper invisibility to make his way deeper into the house and find what he assumed had to be the main office.

He didn't bother knocking, dropping his invisibility spell and slamming the door open with one hand.

"Tell me you knew she wasn't there."

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin was immersed in a very good book, his legs propped up on his desk, when Varryn slammed open the door.
Vaelin shut the book none too gently and glared at Varryn.
"Well of course I knew she wasn't there, I'm not completely insane, Varryn."
He sighed.
"You couldn't have waited till I finished this chapter? It was such a good chapter too."
Vaelin took his legs off the desk and set the book down on the desk, his eyes boring into Varryn's.
"I am curious, though. How much does Ilia know?"

DragonSong

There was certainly a relief at that, at knowing that he wouldn't have to kill him. A relief he decided he wouldn't examine too closely.

He growled quietly and crossed the space between them in three king, quick strides. The door slammed shut behind him with a flick of his wrist.

"What she knows is none of your damned business," he snarled, eyes flashing to their demonic form for a moment. "I have tried to keep you out of this Vaelin—don't make me regret not simply killing you when I should have."

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin stood up, eyes flashing to something...dark...before flashing back to normal.
"Kept me out of what, Varryn? Things don't add up. We were rather close before, and then one day you just stab me in the back? For what? For money?" Vaelin's voice was dangerously calm, like the calm before the storm. Vaelin's hand punched the desk, making a dent in the wood.
"It's time you explain yourself, Varryn. I'm running out of patience."

DragonSong

Varyyn growled—and it was not a humanoid creature playing at a growl, but a true, proper growl. The kind of snarling sound that usually heralded a predator's fangs sinking into its prey's throat.

"And what makes you think," he hissed, taking a step forward, "that I have to tell you anything, mortal?"

He took another step, eyes burning as his glamour flaked away to reveal his true form beneath. "What makes you think I care for money, or the petty power your kind strive for in this plane? What makes you think you have earned the truth?"

It was unfair, and he knew it, and he didn't care. Vaelin may not have intended to harm Ilia, but that fire had been a threat—a threat, and a damned beacon.

Varyyn was not the only power who would have noticed it.

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin stood up, drawing up to his full height, himself taking a step towards Varryn.
"What do you want, Ryn? I—-"
Just then, the door opened, and in walked Vaelin's butler, holding a tray of tea.
"Sir, I heard you had company. Did you and your guest want some tea?"
Vaelin took a moment to compose himself. "Just...set it down on my desk please." He gave his butler a warning glare as his butler set the tray down and left.

DragonSong

Varyyn heard the other human's footsteps and quickly threw his usual glamour back in place a moment before the butler walked in.

He smiled tightly at the other man, struggling to keep his composure and rage and a few other more confusing emotions that he desperately wished to ignore swirled in his chest.

"Thank you," he said politely as the butler set down the tray.

He waited until the man's footsteps had faded before taking a deep breath and turning to face Vaelin.

"What I want," he said slowly, clearly struggling to keep his voice even, "is to keep my daughter safe. Safe from anyone—anything—that would even unintentionally do her harm." He stared at Vaelin for a long moment. "Do you understand?"

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin was very confused. Well actually he was feeling a lot of things. How did his butler know? He certainly didn't catch on that Varryn was even in his house.
Vaelin uncomfortably shifted on his feet.
"Well...since my butler brought up tea, you're welcome to have some."
He poured himself some tea, and then sipped on it, leaning against his desk.
"Listen, Ryn...I didn't mean to make threats against your daughter. I was angry, and I lost control." There was so much more Vaelin wanted to say. When he had been invited to Varryn's townhouse, he didn't plan for any of what had transpired to happen that way. He actually had wanted to tell Varryn that he missed him. Even after all that had happened. That he still loved him. But that didn't happen.
But all Vaelin said was,
"I still love you Ryn."

DragonSong

That—

Well. He definitely wasn't expecting that.

It was such an unexpected turn in the conversation, in fact, that Varyyn found himself blurting out the first response that came to his mind.

"Why?"

He blinked, then actually...blushed as his own voice seemed to register. "I— That is— You shouldn't," he scrambled, desperately hoping his face betrayed none of the turmoil in his chest. "I—I wronged you."

Of course, he'd done it to save his life—all their lives—in the best way that had seemed possible. But Vaelin didn't know that!

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin set his cup of tea down.
"Well...I wronged you too."
That made a lot more sense in Vaelin's head. He searched his brain for the right words, because right now, he could hardly think straight.
Now Vaelin was blushing too. He was a very guarded and private man. Normally. Until he gets anywhere near Varryn.
"Ever since I first saw you I've loved you. I've been in hopelessly in love ever since, and even after...after what happened, I'm still hopelessly in love with you, Ryn."

DragonSong

Varyyn shook his head slowly. "You shouldn't," he muttered, shoving down any other response he might have to those words. "You really shouldn't—you don't even know me."

It didn't sound like an admonishment, despite how much he tried to make it one. It sounded...sad. Regretful.

He started to pace, unable to look at the master of the house. "Foolish mortal," he muttered, half to himself. "Foolish, naive..."

He descended into muttering in his mother tongue: a language of scorching flame and yawning abyss, a language that had no business being spoke in this plane and echoed oddly through its air. He didn't seem to notice, pacing and muttering for a few moments longer before he stopped and turned to face Vaelin again.

"...I never wanted to hurt you," he admitted, half growling. Frustrated. "I—I was trying to keep you safe. Keep you away." He sighed and shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. "But it seems you are determined to leap headlong into danger, despite my best efforts. You and Ilia both."

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin noticed a strange chill settle over the room as Varryn was speaking in a strange tongue.

"I can protect you. Both you and your daughter. Like I did before." Vaelin walked closer to Varryn.
"You can stay here. Ilia can too. I have plenty of room. We can fight this together. You don't have to be alone, Ryn." Vaelin's eyes were pleading.

DragonSong

"No, Vaelin." Varyyn looked at him sadly--it was probably the most naked display of emotion he'd shown in years, other than his initial rage upon his arrival. "You can't. I--you have no idea how much I wish you could, but you can't. You don't even know what's after her..."

wandering_giraffe

Vaelin frustratingly rubbed the back of his neck.
"I...no...God damn it Ryn!" He hated when Varryn was right.
"Is whatever that's after her half demon too?" He didn't ask mockingly. He was genuinely concerned and wondering. Vaelin was a very talented weaponsmith, and his mind was going.
"Demons have weaknesses too don't they," he half muttered to himself. Vaelin went behind his desk and brought out a small, seemingly insignificant dagger.
"I fashioned this years ago...I could make a more powerful one."

DragonSong

"Half-demon." Varyyn chuckled, though the sound was definitely unamused. "Is that what you think I am?"

Maybe...that was where they should start. If this man was so determined to make himself a target...maybe Varyyn should be preparing him for what he'd be a target of.

Clearly simply trying to chase him away from himself and Ilia hadn't worked.

He sighed and sat in the chair on the other side of Vaelin's desk. "How much do you think you know about me?"

wandering_giraffe

Not as much as I should, Vaelin thought uneasily to himself.
"Well...years ago, I helped you and Ilia find a safe place to settle...you said you were in need of help...but it's been so long, Ryn."
"Just," he sighed, "Just tell me how I can help. I know I can help. I want to help. Please, just let me."

DragonSong

Varyyn shook his head--again, not a denial, more a disappointment. With himself, with Vaelin, it wasn't quite clear. "You know I'm not human," he sighed eventually. "You know my lineage is demonic." He'd told him that himself, though little else. "How much do you know about demons?"

wandering_giraffe

"How much do I know about demons..." Vaelin muttered to himself. How much did he know? Varryn was half demon...or so he thought. Was he full demon? He sighed.
"Well..." he said, alittle worried at how much he didn't know...
"You came from...where did you come from? Demons are from another dimension are they not? Or have you ever been there?" Vaelin genuinely was just asking questions at this point.