Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Drinking Coffee and Chasing Bounties [M]

Started by MorningStar, December 30, 2023, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorningStar

@visualspice

———

In the vibrant streets of Reahj, the air was filled with the harmonious hum of a seemingly perfect day. A young couple strolled hand in hand, marveling at the charm of the city, convinced that nothing could possibly ruin their blissful moment.

"I don't think anything can put a damper on our day," the man beamed, his eyes full of confidence.

But soon something would put a damper on their day.

Just as they exchanged endearing words, the lively atmosphere took an unexpected twist. Enter Amaya Midgar, the notorious bounty hunter with a devil-may-care attitude. Dressed in a mix of worn leather and a cocky grin, Amaya sprinted through the crowd, chasing his elusive target.

"Shit! Move!"

In the blink of an eye, the unsuspecting couple found themselves in the midst of Amaya's pursuit. With a swift maneuver to avoid a collision, they stumbled, and their coffee cups went airborne, splattering hot liquid all over them.

"Sorry, ma'am!" Amaya glanced over his shoulder at the couple now drenched with hot coffee, offering the woman a sly smile as he continued to plow through more people on the bustling streets. The man, unfortunately, received no such acknowledgment.

His target was Nicholas Bernard, a petty thief who got too big for his britches on the mainland. Still, he was pretty damn fast.

"You can't outrun me forever Nicholas!" Amaya called out to him with a sense of playful antagonism.

"Fuck off!" the thief yelled colorfully.

——

The chase persisted for more time than Anaya would like to admit. There had been a time where Nicholas actually gave him the slip, but after stalking the streets of the city for an hour or so he put eyes on him once again.

He wouldn't let him get away so easily this time. Amaya quickened his pace, playfully taunting his prey from behind as he weaved through the bustling crowd, determined to catch up and—

"Shit! Not again!"

The couple Amaya ran into earlier were back in his way, once again with coffee that they must have surely replenished after the last incident.

Amaya's intuition proved correct when he briefly noticed the rising steam visible from their cups. Despite his efforts to maneuver around them, a collision ensued, resulting in the man wearing his coffee again while the woman managed to avoid a repeat dousing.

"Sorry ma'am!" Amaya called again.

——

Amaya deftly pursued Nicholas through the crowded streets, dodging market stalls and sidestepping unsuspecting pedestrians. The chase led them to the outskirts of the city, where a lively river stream danced its way along the edge.

Cornered, Nicholas turned to face Amaya, an air of desperation clinging to him. "Give it up, would ya?," Amaya grinned, feigning sympathy.

Nicholas, fueled by bravado, swung a wild punch. Amaya, ever the agile fighter, bobbed and weaved with a smirk. "That was cute! Next time, try to actually land a hit on me, my friend!"

A rowdy crowd gathered, enjoying the unexpected street theater. Nicholas swing many times and missed many times, Amaya mostly reserved himself but landed one good crack at his jaw. Unfortunately, that punch caused Nicholas to fumble backward, grabbing Amaya by the collar. They both lost balance and tumbled into the river with a splash.

Now floating downstream, their waterlogged fight continued. "Now look what you did!" Amaya yelled. 

Nicholas, sputtering water, replied, "Me?! You're the one who started it!"

As they drifted along, fists still flying, the chaos unfolded to the amusement of onlookers along the riverbank.

——

Another hour passed before Amaya sauntered into the authorities' office, dragging a thoroughly drenched and unconscious Nicholas. He nonchalantly dumped his bounty onto the ground with a resonant thud.

The man behind the counter regarded Amaya with a skeptical gaze. "What happened, exactly?"

Amaya, resembling a waterlogged mutt, shook out his hair and offered a sly grin. "Went for a swim," he said. "Got any coffee?"

visualspice

North, south, east or west. It didn't matter so long as the money was good and there was a place she could top off her night with plenty of booze. Long had the days come, and longer were the nights, and her trials had been as rocky as the roads she traveled. Connlaoth wasn't exactly the safest of places. Even as she traveled, echoes of war- and even the glow of terrorizing fires, could be seen from the mountain tops. She wouldn't miss leaving all this behind if she got the choice.

Days turned to weeks, and weeks into possible months. But she was likely close to the damn capital by now. This place was far enough from the border...
Plus the fact her last run-in with a bounty hunter nearly left her headless. She rubbed at her neck, where the wound was still healing and gave a snort. This was probably far enough away. Probably.

"Fuckin' piss-offs, the lot of 'em," she grumbled, and downed near half a bottle of moonshine; the last she had on her on this damnably long road. She belched and gave her belly a pat, before retouching the wound on her neck, then securely hiding it behind a thick scarf she had bound round her neck.

Her money kept her moving, just barely (and mostly it was thieving, all of whihc helped move her west). Connlaoth was a fairly large nation, rolling hills, long plains, plenty of rivers...
And plenty of pockets to pick.

But pick pocketing could only get her to travel so far. And she knew she needed a new pair of boots. All of this walking had worn several holes. Reluctantly,s he had to give up a night of drinking in order to procure herself a nice, fancy pair. And did she ever swoon over them. They were a deep, rich, dark brown color, nearly black except in the right light which shown it's deep mahogany glow. And were they ever comfortable! Hell, they slipped right onto her feet, had enough room and support and laced on up clear to her thighs. It would definitely help fight the scabs she constantly was getting on her knees, and well- she couldn't help but squeal a little at the fact she knew they gave her a lot of extra sex appeal. She was still a woman after all- and though rather rough around the edges, she did like to make herself look good.

She looked up at the shop keep with a grin from ear to ear.
"Thanks, love. The boots are more beautiful than my breasts!"

She stood for a moment in front of a mirror, fussing over her clothing and tightening a lace here or there and giving a half attempted combed fluffing of her hair. She frowned. She could use a nice hot bath. But she'd need money for that, first.

And booze. She was itching for a drink and had her last lick this morning. She turned to the shop keep and eyed the old man up.
"Where's the nearest Inn? Tavern? Bar- any place that sells some good old, cheap ale?"

She didn't always flirt, but when she did, she always did it in order to benefit from something. And men liked loose women, and though she liked a good time with all the rest of the men, she normally kept most of her flirting and kissy faces to the tavern and not the room she stayed. And this particular night she was without money for a room, nor booze; but that didn't stop her from making her way to a little squat and open faced pub called Moor's that the old Shoemaker recommended. She almost felt bad for robbing him of some of his money- almost.
She justified it by saying he was clearly trying to give business to a friend or something by promoting this place- never mind it was straight up pick pocketing.

But who'd send her to jail for a few silvers? She had wished she had snagged a bit more...but...

Moors was a strange sort of place from what she was used to, for there were no doors nor windows, just a really shallow over hang you had to duck under in order to get to the wide bar front that was lined with stools. It was here she noticed that the patrons weren't all entirely human- and she couldn't help but stare. Being born and raised and having remained mostly in Connlaoth, seeing elves and humanoid type creatures had her gawking. Even on the roads she traveled had tended to be mostly humans. Some of them here were even dwarves.

She gave a whistle, but then returned her attention back to the bar, where she noticed a slim figure fussing around behind a partially open door.

"Hey- yoo hoo, you the bar tender back there?"

The man poked his head up and noticed the red-head at his bar and pushed the door open with his shoulder. Wiping his hands off on his shoulder towel, he asked, "Aye, what can I get for you, lass?"

Ellarrah never once dropped her grin, or her eyes from his. He was cute- for an elf. She held up a few silvers.
"What sorta drinks can you sport for this?"

The tender took the money and examined it, looking the woman up and down a moment in thought. He had a bit of a limp in his step as he moved.

"Enough. Few rounds," he went on, procuring cup and drink. "New to the area?"

Her brows rose.

"That obvious?"

The elf laughed.

"Well by the way you're staring and the way you talk..." His voice trailed off as he watched her down her drink and then she sat it back on the table, wanting more. He shook his head and poured her another. "Guess I shouldn't move too fast. Traveled all day I reckon?"

"And all night," she griped, groaning a bit as she leaned against the bar. "You up for rentin' out a place or know of any cheap beds, love? Cause I'm fuckin' beat and just want to drink myself to sleep!"

The elf stared at her thoughtfully, and as she finished her second glass, poured a third.
"You'll need more silver for the fourth cup."
She stared at him, drink to her lips as she nodded slowly.

"Good to know, mate." It didn't stop her from finishing that one near as quick as the first few.

"So where you headed, miss?"

"Figured on following the River. Who knows. West, mostly. The Rivers flow West, eh? Or was that East.." she pondered a moment as she pouted, staring into her empty cup.
"Im actually heading to Reajh. City of dreams," shr belched sarcastically. 

"Care to help a girl out?" she asked, batting her long lashes at the elf-
Though she was probably asking for help with more than just directions, and well..
She hadn't eyed up the perfect pocket to pick...

.. yet.

The barkeep shook his head.
"You're practically in the city now. But can't help ya with the free drinks. Sorry. It's hard enough running a business here not being human."

She looked at the crowd and realize d it made sense now.

Even still...
She had to find atleast a little bit o' coin here or else she'd be sleeping outside again. And she really really wanted a bath.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MorningStar

Amaya, armed with detailed intel on his next bounty target, Ellarah, embarked on the job  with a loose approach. Equipped with knowledge of her physical description, criminal history, and a glimpse into her personality, he deduced the likelihood of finding her either pickpocketing on the streets or expertly conning someone at the bar while also slinging one back.

Hells, he had already had a few. May as well hit the bars. Moors specifically, as it was the closest.

"Man, this place kind of sucks," he mumbled as he entered, despite acknowledging its gritty charm. It had the unmistakable scent of spirits, schemes, shattered dreams, and ass. "My kind of place."

Scanning the room through the alcohol-induced haze, he quickly identified Ellarah standing out like a sore thumb at the bar, radiating the promised sex appeal and curves.

His carefree grin transformed into a sloppier expression, mimicking tipsy to blend in seamlessly. Sauntering over, he settled next to her, propped his cheek on his fist, and eyed her with a drunken affection. "Hey pretty lady," he slurred with a mix of charm. "I like your face."

visualspice

Ellarrah turned to the man who approached her. Oh good, she grinned. This one was already drunk. 

"And you know what I like? Feeding my face with booze. Think you can help a girl, out?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MorningStar

Amaya flashed a sly and mischievous grin at the woman, embodying every bit of the allure promised when he accepted this job.

Sustaining the facade of a drunken fool posed a challenge, given that it usually took a substantial amount of ale and whiskey to faze Amaya. Nevertheless, he believed it to be the most straightforward starting point while also offering a chance for a bit of amusement.

"How ladylike," he remarked, his eyes scanning her from head to toe, lingering provocatively over her voluptuous breasts. Breaking the gaze, he retrieved a pouch of gold from his pocket, extracting enough to theatrically display what the woman desired, then slid it across the bar counter. "Two shots, my friend," he addressed the bartender, "and keep them coming."

visualspice

Ellarrah grinned broadly. If the gold wasn't already enough to get her wet (it meant he had money!) He also gave her the promise of booze!

"Well now.." Ellarrah went on, appreciatively as she leaned forward, an elbow on the table- other hand accepting her drink and keeping her shoulders back and.. assets Pronounced. 

"I feel I oughta toast the first drink to ya, love," She cooed. "To more booze, eh?" She went on, raising her cup.

MorningStar

"To booze, big breasts, and a woman who can kick my ass."

He clinked his glass against hers, downing its contents effortlessly. The warmth spread through his body as the liquid trickled down his throat. Motioning the bartender for another round, he leaned closer, flashing her an eager grin. "What's your name?" he asked, even though he already knew.

visualspice

Ellarrah curled her toes inside her new boots.

"Well, ain't you a flirt?" She went on, happily knocking her mug against his. She knocked the drink back and slapped the empty cup onto the table with a satisfying sigh.

"And what's it to ya to ask a lady's name? Seem awfully generous for a folk who don't give up his name first," she went on, grinning broadly and wagging her empty cup.

MorningStar

Amaya leaned against the polished bar, the dim light casting shadows on his face as he signaled the bartender for another round. As the glasses were filled, he smiled at his bounty next to him – intriguing, yet with an abrasive air that left an indelible mark.

With three consecutive shots of hard whiskey barely leaving a buzz, Amaya was far from intoxicated. He downed another, the warmth coursing through him only fueling his composed demeanor, and it was getting harder to fake it. Turning to the woman, he offered a charismatic smile, a glint of mischief in his eyes.

"Amaya Midgar," he introduced himself, the words rolling off his tongue with a touch of playfulness. "Now it's your turn." His tone carried a hint of intrigue, though deep down, he found her personality abrasive.

Still, kept the drinks coming.

visualspice

Her eyes danced satisfyingly once she acquired his name.

"Ellarrah Shok," she told him, giving a half saluting gesture before she knocked back her new drink. She kept her eyes trained on his but occassionaly was studying his form- not just to appreciate his make physique , but to gage where he might be keeping his weapons and other valuables on his person. He likely wouldn't miss just a few swiped coins once they were drunk. 

"So what's a man like you doing in a bar like this?" She asked playfully, but in truth- the pair seemed to be the only humans within the establishment. 

MorningStar

How much alcohol could this woman handle? A typical person would have been thoroughly intoxicated by now with the amount of hard liquor they'd consumed, yet she matched him sip for sip. He couldn't decide if he found it repelling or if he was developing a strange admiration.

Nevertheless, he ordered another round, this time opting for a whole bottle to simplify the process. "I could ask you the same question," he grinned, his legs swaying gently to touch hers as he leaned in, studying her with a mischievous curiosity. "I may look like I belong here, but you're far too beautiful for a rundown joint like this, don't you think?"

visualspice

Her smile dimpled her alcohol blushed cheeks. 

"Such a charmer, I'll take two of you, for the next round.. if that's what we can order," she flirted, swishing her cup as she let herself bask in the bubbly warmth od the alcohol.  Ahh.. it hit her deliciously right. 

"But why d'ya say you fit in more, eh? I just see a sore thumb, the pair of us. Considering neither are elf nor dwarf like most 'ere," she pointed out.

MorningStar

Amaya's responses drew an involuntary grin from Amaya, perhaps a result of the alcohol's subtle influence on his mood.

"Come on," he teased, the playful tone evident. "In a bar full of men, all either hoping for luck or drowning sorrows, you stand out. A catch." With a refill from the bottle, he chased the shot down, feeling the subtle effects of the alcohol.

The buzz started to settle in. Another swig tingled his cheeks in tipsy delight, fueling the conversation. "And you couldn't handle two of me," he winked, "but you sure can handle your booze."

visualspice

Ellarrah rolled her eyes.
"Ain't my fault the women are sparse today," she assured, still grinning. "Besides, some of the elf folk are far prettier than me."

But at his comment about the booze, she grinned.

"Naturally. Can't live in Connlaoth without being well versed in many rounds of beer!"
But her grin turned sly about his other comment. "Oh? What makes you think you're too much to handle?"

MorningStar

Amaya's eyes lazily studied her, a sly smile playing on his lips, radiating both cunning and affection. "Something tells me you'll find out," he remarked, smoothly downing another shot.

"How about we ditch this joint?" he suggested, casually flashing his sack of gold one more time before settling the remaining payment with the bartender. "I know a place with a little more to offer."

visualspice

Ellarrah quirked a brow at him but gave an easy grin as she shrugged.

"If you're payin', love, I'll follow you to the ends of a beer keg," she flirted. "But you sure you don't want to stick around and try some Dwarven ale? That stuff will put hair on the chest of a rock!"

MorningStar

"Don't worry, sweetie," he said coyly, "I have something even better."

Amaya flashed the girl a tantalizing and suggestive grin, a silent invitation hanging in the air. Rising from his seat at the dimly lit bar, he casually pocketed his gold, the glint of currency disappearing into the folds of his attire. With one last shot of whiskey downed in a smooth motion, he exhaled a satisfied breath before embarking on a journey through the smoke-filled and boozy room.

The atmosphere buzzed with anticipation, and Amaya navigated the crowded space with a confident stride. He knew, with a certain expectation, that she would follow.

visualspice

Her eyes followed the bag of gold.  Of course he'd simply pocket that. She'd slip a few out from him later- as it seemed their fun was about to continue elsewhere. Grinning, she saluted the barkeep befire following after the man, conveniently picking a few pockets as she clumsily made her way in his wake. 

MorningStar

Amaya sauntered out of the bar with the unmistakable confidence only a tipsy individual could exude. A sly smirk played on her lips as she observed the woman, the target of his bounty, closely tailing behind. Occasional glances over his shoulder revealed her adept skills at picking pockets, effortlessly relieving unsuspecting patrons and passersby of their loose change. To the casual observer, she was remarkably skilled, but to him, it was a talent he could spot in an instant.

They navigated the lively streets together, the city's nocturnal pulse beating around them. Eventually, he led them into a narrow alleyway, disappearing into a building. Ascending a flight of stairs, he entered a room that starkly contrasted with the lively atmosphere of the streets below. It appeared to be an abandoned set of offices, devoid of the revelry found in a bar or the comforts of a home. Instead, the room was filled with an eclectic array of trophies—booze and other party favors, souvenirs collected from his past bounty work. The space bore witness to the stories of his exploits, silent witnesses to a life lived on the edge.

Though, she did not need to know about that just yet.

"I stash the good stuff here," he mentioned, his hands delving into the cluttered table. Amid the disarray, two identical bottles caught his attention, both containing what seemed to be pure, concentrated hard liquor. One was a recent acquisition from a man he encountered a few days ago, while the other originated from Nicholas, the poor bastard Amaya had apprehended and turned in to the authorities.

The former exuded one of the strongest alcohol aromas he had ever encountered, while the latter, previously in Nicholas' possession, emitted a rather.. unique scent that defied easy identification.

Regardless of that mystery, answers awaited. Taking a swig from both bottles, he then handed them over to her.

visualspice

By now, Ellarrah was basking in the warmth of an alcohol buzz. If she were smarter, or more tactful, she'd have been wary to follow this perfect stranger. But the idea she could have a bit of fun and snipe his coin was too much of a temptation. Besides, he did offer more booze.

Once inside, she couldn't help but poke around, surveying the goods he kept- and ones she might take home. He had an interesting collection, but before she could question any of that, he produced two bottles and her eyes lit up.

"Ye yanked me from the tavern, love. What's in the bottles best be worth it," she teased, giving rhe man a wink before plucking them from his hands. Just like him, she took a swig from each but instantly made a twisted face at the second. 

"Ack! That one.. what's even inthat bottle!?" Shr quickly reached for the one she knew was alcohol to chase the after taste down. 

"Gods.." she even took another swig. "That was foul."