Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Let's Rock and Roll! (M)

Started by visualspice, August 15, 2021, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Javen nodded to his wife and gestured for to sit.
"Alright, let's eat. After dinner we can discuss things. Such as why this man's here."

He paused to observe his wife. Was she a fan of this musician? Maybe it would help soften the blow if she were. That... and well, money.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Nyla nodded and sat quickly, finding herself between the two men as they sat at either end of the small table. She nibbled her dinner politely, but nerves had turned her stomach and she found she suddenly had no appetite.

She kept cutting glances toward Chase, trying to get a read on him. Clearly, he was here to avoid..."politics". But was he a sympathizer? A zealot? Which would be worse, for her?

She felt Javen's eyes on her and tried to shoot him a quick, casual smile, like this was all perfectly normal and she wasn't at all panicking.

visualspice

Chase easily picked up on her anxiety, and studied her for a time in silence. It was refreshing a woman wasn't throwing herself at him. Then again, she was married (which hadn't stopped women before).

Javen had poured himself his third cup of drink and broke the silence.

"So, you familiar with his music? Man claims he's famous." Atleast rich. His eyes went to Chase.

"A little famous," Chase went on, modestly. Then again, his fame went well past Connlaoth. Perhaps his next move was a Serendipity tour...
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Snapped abruptly from her spiraling thoughts, Nyla blinked mutely at the two of them before the question properly processed. "Oh! Um..." She but her lip and glanced at Chase almost bashfully. "No, I'm sorry. I don't—I'm not actually from Connlaoth, and once I moved to Reajh I was really just busy running the bakery, I didn't have a lot of time for, ah, seeing shows and the like."

She ducked her eyes again, hoping that would be the end of it. Javen knew she wasn't a native—she never actually tried to hide that—but he'd never cared enough to really ask her about much of her past, either.

"I'd love to hear something, though, if you're feeling up for it one day," she added, almost as an afterthought. Then she smiled, quick and bright. "Since it seems you'll be here for a while?"

visualspice

Chase smiled. Interesting.
"You must really love to bake. Where are you from originally?"

DragonSong

...Damnit.

"Serendipity," she answered softly, hoping he wouldn't ask for more details. She had a story she could use, and the most convincing lies were based heavily in the truth, but she didn't enjoy spinning the story.

She didn't like thinking about her past.

"But I've lived here nearly six years. This—this is home now."

visualspice

"I guess you must like it here. Or really love your husband." The elephant in the room need not be addressed. There was a war going on.

DragonSong

Nyla jerked slightly, but forced herself to still. She made a noncommittal, vaguely affirmative noise and prayed that Javen was too far into his cups to notice that she hadn't given a real answer.

Desperate to move the subject away from herself, she asked quickly, "And you? Surely if you're so successful you needn't stay anywhere you don't wish to."

visualspice

"Well my house did burn down last night," came his casual reply as he went about enjoying his slice of meat pie. "This is really good.  It might actually better than my mom's!"

DragonSong

Nyla blinked at him, wide eyed. "I'm...sorry."

She ducked her head again. "I only meant—wouldn't it be safer for you out of the country?"

His complement to her pies earned a soft blush, but she quickly pushed it aside. Didn't seem like the appropriate moment.

visualspice

Javen was starting to get annoyed. Perhaps the drinks were catching up to him.
"Does it seem like we live near the fucking border, Nyla? Why ask stupid questions? Ansgar's Name!"

Chase hadn't expected the explosion from Javen and went quiet.

"Things are more complicated than fucking that." He sighed, breath hot as he picked up his drink. "You know, we were going to wait for this conversation after dinner."

DragonSong

Nyla flinched hard enough to rattle her plate, but stilled it quickly. She kept her eyes downturned, biting hard on her bottom lip. This is better than being a marked mage she reminded herself frantically—even as her magic, so close to the surface from her earlier nerves, surged beneath her skin.

She curled her fingers in until her nails bit into her palms, hands in her lap. "Of course. I'm sorry."

She took a moment to breathe, then stood slowly and gathered up her plate. It's not like she was really eating anyway. "I'll just start the washing up. You two take your time."

visualspice

Javen growled.
"You just baked us dinner and you aim to waste it? We ain't made of money, Nyla! Ansgar's sakes! Just sit your ass down and we'll just go over the damn thing now. "

DragonSong

She sat down quickly, feeling utterly backed into a corner and with no idea how to get out of it. He'd been angry when she asked questions, he was angry when she tried to remove herself, what was she meant to do?

"I'm sorry," she whispered helplessly to the table, fingers twisting anxiously in her skirts, hidden in her lap under the table.

There was an extra flush of humiliation knowing someone else was witness to—to whatever this was. She wasn't even sure she had words for it: the Allorans had been easier to understand in their anger, and she'd learned how to tread lightly. With Javen...she had no idea when or how she might make a misstep.

visualspice

Chase couldn't help but feel responsible for the tension in the room.
"Perhaps it would be best if I explain myself," he interjected. "Our travels have been long and I'm sure your husband is as tired as I." Which would explain his short temper. Never mind the booze. He tried not to think on that.

Turning his attention to Nyla, he offered her a genuine smile.
"But again, I apologize for intruding. It seems I've been making a terrible set of serial mistakes." He rubbed anxiously at the back of his head and Javen only nodded.

"Well, go ahead and explain yourself. I'm going to fetch another bottle."

Chase nodded to Javen who passed him and went on his search for more booze. Then he returned his attentions back to Nyla and his heart sunk. She looked... terrified. And in turn, he felt even worse.

"I've become pretty famous in Connlaoth, made a name for myself with my music. Being how rare the cities are allowed to have large entertainers, I suppose it's no surprise my skill was gobbled up by those hungry to escape from the war." He shrugged simply. "Needless to say, I support Connlaoth." It was true. "This nation is great and powerful, and we're a much better country together, not tearing one another apart. I suppose I went... a bit too far with my latest song I've been singing and well, it angered a few out there who thought it best to burn my house down with me in it."

By now, Javen had returned and had brought an entire new bottle with him, and was already done with half the glass.

"That's where we come in," Javen interjected and Chase nodded.

"Yeah... my er, manager of my music thought it was best to remain close while tensions cooled off. To stick it out somewhere low and not to draw attention to myself and come up with a public apology in the coming weeks to hopefully clear my name."
He shrugged.

Javen snorted.
"It was a foolish move," he grumbled, knowing full well the other man ought to have known better...

"But it's what brought me here," he went on to explain. "You'll be paid well, that I can guarantee. I just need to stick around here until things cool down."

DragonSong

There were so many questions she desperately wanted to but just couldn't ask. Not with Jacen sitting right there, at least.

And she was terrified. For a whole host of reasons, now, but certainly not least of which was that she still couldn't figure out just what side this bard was really on. He said he loved Connlaoth--but that seemed to just mean he hated the civil war. Did he really support one side or the other?

Nyla kept her eyes downturned the whole time he spoke, hoping to hide whatever of her thoughts might show in her expression. She cast around desperately for something she could say, innocuous enough not to rouse suspicion but hopefully still gleaning her even a hint of more information.

Well. To begin with...

"I'm sorry," she murmured, finally lifting her head to meet Chase's eyes briefly. "That sounds harrowing. I hope--I hope you'll be safe here, ser." She paused, then added in a breathless rush, as though expecting her husband to cut her off, "We'll do everything we can to keep you safe."

visualspice

He gave her a smile. He liked her. Not only could she bake but it was a relief she seemed understanding.
"Thank you. But I shouldn't put you in any danger that I'm here. I just have to remain more or less hidden from the public until my manager comes and fetches me. " he shrugged. "Seems simple enough."

Javen cleared his throat.
"And we are getting paid well," he reminded.

DragonSong

Right. Of course. Money.

Nyla glanced down at her lap again, not sure if she should respond or how to do it. Especially with the mood Javen was in.

"So...I suppose that means you'll really be...around the house quite a bit then?" she ventured after a few moments.

visualspice

"I.. suppose that's a fair assessment.  I mean, it wouldn't be wise to go out when a lot of people can recognize my face."
He was still a bit confused how this wedded pair never knew him and it was , in a way, refreshing.

DragonSong

"Right. Of course. Well." Nyla summoned up a smile and tried to hide the anxious twisting of her fingers in her skirts. "I suppose I'll have to find ways to keep you occupied around the house. I don't suppose you've any interest in baking?"

Her voice had lightened slightly, a hint of playfulness steeling into her eyes as she smiled at him.

Maybe... Maybe, if she was cautious, it could actually be nice to have some company about the place during the day. Maybe.