Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Supernova [spice]

Started by DragonSong, September 14, 2022, 01:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Lily could only nod, mute. What was she supposed to say? No, actually, she'd prefer if he just left her to suffer in the cold?

"I'm...sorry," she whispered, still unable to meet his eyes. "I don't—I can't—I never knew what it was, but now I—I can feel the storm. Here." She pressed a hand to the center of her chest. "But I...I don't know how to stop it..."

Emotion clogged her throat and she looked away. "I don't know ho to make this stop..."

She sniffed, struggling to hold back another burst of sobs.

visualspice

As Kentamin tended to the fire,  he thought back to the star ball.  It had been a beautiful evening,  one he found himself actually feeling normal when attending.  As if the heavy burdens of the war were put aside.  As if things were back to the way they ought to be.

Yet here he was...
Wasn't even a week later,  he was in the room of the girl he shared a dance with, a lovely evening with, one he actually liked and he had to perform a cruel ceremony upon.

He cringed. He wished his powers on no one, and he wished this condemnation on anyone but that sweet girl from the ball...

But here they were...
Life wouldn't let them forget who they were. The war was still fresh...

And the woman's plight, real.

Swallowing,  he finally turned from the fire and gave the young woman a small, Pained smile.

"The rains.. are they yours?" He asked quietly.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Lily bit her lip harder, took a deep breath through her nose, and nodded.

"I...think so," she whispered, huddling a little deeper into the blanket despite the renewed heat from the fire. "But I don't—I've never been awake before."

She hesitated, then explained softly, "What—what I told you, at the ball. About my fainting spells. That was true, I've had them as long as I can remember. But my...my brother...Jorris..."

More tears. She tried to breathe through them, eyes fixed in her knees. "He noticed that...things would happen. Strange winds. Freak rainstorms. Whenever I would have...one of my fits. I didn't believe—I still don't understand how—"

She squeezed her eyes shut and exhaled carefully. "I can feel it, but I don't...it's distant. It's like...like something inside me is awake, when it used to slumber, but it doesn't know how to be awake when I am, too."

visualspice

Kentamin's eyes grew distant as she explained.
"Not all born with magic can explain the magic. You are not alone," he told her softly. 

Frowning,  he observed her, then very slowly, the room around them.

"Does this.. magic.. is there connections to anything you can think of? Emotions perhaps? Memories.. no-" he shook his head. 'Forgive me, you just mentioned you're not normally awake. "

He paused to consider.

"What.. changed... has.. anything been different recently in your life? Like... your age.. if I might inquire, how old are you, Lily?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"I—" She blinked, a little taken aback by the question, though she wasn't entirely sure why. Perhaps because it seemed so...normal.

"I'm twenty," she replied quietly. "And I think..."

No. No, she couldn't say that. The idea was absurd—that her magic may be trying to protect her? When having magic itself was the biggest danger she would ever face in her life?

No. The idea was foolish.

visualspice

Twenty...

They were nearly the same age. There was a frown in his smile.
To think.. neither would live a normal life...

He noted her cut off her thought and studied her.

"Hrm? Was there something more you wanted to say?" He asked gently.
"It's okay to speak freely, as a member if the church.. and.." His smile was more genuine, if even sadder, " as a friend,  you can trust me. Let me know what's on your mind. Remember,  I'm here to help."

DragonSong

Lily stared at him for a moment. Then she repeated cautiously, "A...friend?"

Was that right? Was that what they were? God, this was all just...so much more complicated than it should have been. Just a week ago, she'd been thrilled simply to spend an evening with someone who didn't treat her like glass, who spoke to her as though what she said was actually of interest, who made her smile. She didn't have many friends, but at the ball, she would have been more than happy to call her time with Kentamin the beginnings of a friendship.

Now... Now, he was here on the orders of the church. To help her. To quell this magic.

At the thought, that something beneath her breastbone suddenly reared up, and her blood went cold. The storm outside--which had been gradually dying down as they spoke, as she slowly wrangled her emotions under control--flared up fierce as ever. Her window burst open with a CRASH, making her cry out and fling herself to the side as rain and wind whipped at her hair and clothes.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I don't--I didn't mean to!" she wailed, covering her head with her arms protectively against the driving rain that seemed to be trying to push Kentamin back from her. As though the magic in her sensed a threat to itself.

visualspice

He was surprised by the sudden surge, the swell of wind gusts and rain, and soon found himself pushed by a force away from her side. It happened so startlingly fast that he was knocked to his knees before his breath returned to him.

The rain was unusually cold and sobering, but more importantly,  strange how it roared in fron the windows and around the young woman's form to pelt at him.

He made haste for the windows, struggling to close them but determined all the same,  only returning to her side once they were secure. 

Waters dripped off his form, puddling around his boots as he stood there, catching his breath and studying her. Yet he was, at the moment, without words.

DragonSong

With the windows closed, the rain was blocked, but wind still swirled around her, tugging at her hair, her clothes, the blanket she still clutched around her shoulders. It began to die down as she forced herself to breathe, to draw in the warmth of the fire and exhale the ice in her blood.

"...I'm sorry," she whispered again when she felt Kentamin kneel beside her. Her heart was gradually slowing, the swirling tempest in her chest abating as her breathing grew calmer. "I didn't...mean to..."

A sudden wave of exhaustion swamped her; though her magic seemed mostly to be defending itself almost autonomously, it was still her magic. The power drew on her own strength to sustain itself, and now that strength was almost drained.

Her lashes fluttered and she swayed in place. Then, with a soft breath, she collapsed to her side, barely conscious. The storm died in a instant.

visualspice

Internally,  he trembled. Externally,  he needed to weather this storm. But as words evaded him, he began to see the woman faint away and acted.

He caught her, taking almost both of them to the floor with him as he did, where he spent a moment just supporting her,  mind racing as he took it all in.

But then he closed his eyes, drawing in a deep breath.  And he reminded himself why he was here.

After a moment, he scooped her limp form into his arms and made his way towards her bed, where he laid her down gently; the storm nothing but fading rain outside closed windows.

He knew, deep within, it did not matter who was in the bed....
He needed to perform his job either way, and he needed to make peace,  fast, with those risks.

DragonSong

"Mmm..."

Lily stirred faintly in his arms as he moved her to the bed, eyes fluttering weakly. She was still conscious, but just barely.

"I... Kentamin?"

Hand trembling, she reached out to him, or at least the fuzzy outline of him that she could still make out through her fog.

visualspice

Kentamin tensed at her words, daring nothing, not even a breath. His grounded fear of magics still ebbed, and he kept distance.

"I'm still here, " he told her, voice low as he studied her, frowning. "How do you feel?"

DragonSong

"I feel..." She frowned, trying to focus, to figure out how best to answer that question. "I feel...tired. Thin. Hollow."

Her magic was a weak flicker in the center of her chest—still there, but an ember where once it had been a raging blaze. She turned her face into her pillow, a few stray tears dripping onto the fabric.

"I didn't mean to," she whispered once more. "I swear, I didn't mean to..."

visualspice

Kentamin grimaced and watched her in silence. Then he spoke gently,  "Shh, it's alright. You're safe. It's me, remember? You and I enjoyed one another's company at the Ball the other night."

He tried to smile, but it was forced. The poor girl... she had no idea what was to come.

DragonSong

"I remember..."

She blinked blearily at him. Then she smiled, just a little.

"You know...I really did hope I'd see you again. I just...wish circumstances had been different."

Her voice was weak, but her breathing had evened out. Though clearly exhausted, her magic seemed to have once more returned to its dormant state.

visualspice

A gnawing, well of guilt knotted inside his belly.  Thinking back to the other night,  although a comfort to her,  tore at his insides. But this wasn't about him,  it was about healing her. He needed to swallow down this guilt, this uncertainty  , and focus on his duty.

But he couldn't deny the real fear of the unknown,  of the consequences of what he was about to do. There were many risks involved,  including Lily could lose her life.

He swallowed the knot in his throat,  his smile a sad one.

"Me too "

He hoped his voice didn't sound as croaky as it felt.

"You were a pretty good dancer."

DragonSong

Lily's smile softened. She could hear the trepidation in his voice--though she didn't know specifically what he was meant to do to help her, she knew enough about the church's methods to know there must be some kind of risk.

"Thanks," she offered quietly. "You were too..."

She was quiet for a moment longer. Then she murmured, "It's okay, you know. Whatever happens. I know...I know you just want to help."

visualspice

The guilt helped pierce his bleeding heart,  that wretched knife of 'righteousness' , stabbing so deep he might never get it out. 

His smile was sad and lamed,  but he moved closer to her as he gestured beside her and asked,  "Might I have a seat with you?"

DragonSong

She actually laughed. It was a weak, fractured, weary sound, but it was a laugh.

"Hardy proper," she murmured. "But I suppose nothing about this is."

Weakly, she patted the thick blanket beside her. In her exhaustion, whatever was left of her magic had once more faded back into that quiet, cool place in the center of her chest, so still she hardly noticed it was there at all. The way it had survived so long.

"Sit," she invited quietly.

visualspice

Again, he found his face straining under more forced smiles. She had no idea the gravity of the situation, or perhaps they both really hadn't. 

"Nothing improper, I assure you. While I am a man, and a gentleman, noble of birth, I am a man of God." He gestured towards his priestly attire, for this sort of event did not warrant the heavy armor of a Templar.

No, this battle would be spiritual.

"I come with the full intentions and authority of the church," he reminded, gently.

He inclined his head at her offer.

"Thank you." And he moved to take a seat beside her on the bed, an intimate gesture, but with purpose.

"I am here at the will of God. Ansgar guides me and has blessed me with.. unique tools to help," he began, sorting g through his words. 

"Shall I start us off with a prayer? Sometimes, when I am nervous or overwhelmed, it helps to soothe me when I begin with prayer."