Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Returning home (open)

Started by Nahashsan, March 04, 2023, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahashsan

Soules slowly rode down the road toward Reajh on his dun colored war horse. His green calvary uniform was caked in the tan road dust. At his side was his saber and on his back was a short horse bow.

"Come on Max pick up the pace" he said aloud as he gently podded his horse "I would like to get to town before night fall". His thoughts turned to a hot meal and soft bed.  Soules had been on patrol in the south for months now and this was his first leave long enough come home. The older he got the less he enjoyed cold camps and hard tack.

Soules grew tired after years of war. He had seen families torn apart over whispers of magic, seen villages destroyed over a single mage. He had seen mages caged like animals while being told they were the bad guys. He no longer believed in the cause be could see no way out.

visualspice

There was shouting down the road, a group of rowdy men were gathered in a circle. A dog's vicious barking mingled with their jeering. They weren't far from the city proper, but far enough no city guards patrolled the tall grasses and short tree forests along a beaten path, some ways off the main road.

"All bets in?" A gruff man asked.
"I'll give my coppers once I see what we're up against. How do I know you ain't got a wolf hound or something in your favor?"
The gruff man raised a brow before giving a rotting teeth smile. 
"Oh trust me, Owen. This scrappy beast won't last long."
And he stepped aside to reveal a scrappy dog, cowering at the end of a leash. 
"So.. how many seconds you want?"
Owen frowned before slapping his coin into the other's hand. 
"Give em thirty seconds." He cracked his neck. "Dades, sometimes I wonder where you get these pathetic beasts "
Dades pocketed the coin with a grin.
"Tw'asnt hard. Rulle nab it from a scrapper. What's free is free. We take what we can get. "

Owen nodded, eyeing the cowering dog before glancing towards the snapping fight dog held by Nurlthe. Then he glanced around, fixing the hood of hid cloak.
"We ought to hurry. Patrol don't often come out this far but it's still day light. "

Dade laughed at that. 
"Don't tell me you're afraid, Owen. When's the last time the Grand Duke's men cared about a dog fight?"

"Even still... I only risk my money- never my life."

"Well, we're just waiting for Jee and his men. And.. ah! There they are now.  And.. who's that he's got with him?"

Owen turned to follow Dade's gaze and saw Jee dragging along some small boy. He frowned. 

Dade approached, eyeing Jee, then his men.
"What's with the boy, Jee?"

The 'boy' struggled determinedly beneath the larger man's grip.

"Found the boy out spying, creeping up on the dog fight." Jee said. Dade made a face. Then Jee tossed a knife on the ground. "Carried this on him. When we caught 'im, he was swearing up a storm that we 'free his dog'."

Dades' brows rose.
"Oh.. so this was our source. Well now.. perhaps we ought to thank the boy for.. donating his dog to the cause."

That's when the spit fire of a boy spat at him, directly onto Dades' face. The man frowned, face growing red. Then he backhanded the boy, the boy crying out and landing face first in the dirt.

"See the boy gets a good place to watch the show." Dades  said. "Now.. we've waited long enough." And he sauntered over towards where the cowering dog was tethered, and began to pull him out into the circle. 

The moment the young boy saw what was happening, he wrenched free of Jee 's hard grasp and dashed after Dade, picking up the knife so carelessly left in the dirt and he swiped it towards Dade.

"Let my dog go!"

The distraction lasted for a few seconds before the boy was kicked to the ground, and Jee's two men subdued him.

Dade growled, wiping at the blood from the cut on his cheek. Then he moved over to back hand the boy, sending him to the dirt and knocking his hat clean off his head. His red hair tumbled loose as Dade gestured back to the ground. 

"Okay, enough distractions. Let the dog's play."

The boy peered up, eyes wild behind his hair as he watched in horror as the raging dog was released upon the other. 

"No!" They cried out, and tried to Bodily throw themself into the circle. 

CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nahashsan

As Soules made his way down the road it cut thought a small wooded area.  Maybe it was nine years of fighting but the stand of trees just screamed trouble.  As he got closer he could hear barking and then yelling, trouble conformed.

He dug in his heels and flicked the reins kicking Max into a fast trot.  As he rode into the trees he once again questioned his life choices.  He could have just keep on riding but no, he had to be a hero.

Coming into a clearing he was greeted with the sight of men standing in a ring around two dogs and a young lad screaming NO.  Putting on his best I'm in charge voice Soules yelled out "What is the meaning of all this!" As he spoke he drew his saber for good measure.

visualspice

The I'm in charge voice didn't register with the feral dog, who now lunged and attacked the other scrappy beast. And through the confusion of Soule's sudden appearance, men began to back away hesitantly- when suddenly a cry rang out from the ring where the young boy was now being viciously attacked by the feral dog, it's teeth gnashing into his arm. Apparently, the kid threw themselves between the dogs to protect the other.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Nahashsan

Soules kick his horse into a gallop and rushed to the kids aid.  Rush past the attacking dog he swong his saber cleaving it in two. Reining Max in he circled around the young lad making sure no more harm came his way.

"Clear out all of you, Now!" He shouted, glaring at the small crowd.

visualspice

If the men were apprehensive before, they no longer showed sign of it as Dades and his men scrambled to get away; a few of the men- the tougher and meaner looking sort- casting dark looks Soules' way.

As the circle emptied, the young lad clung to his injured  arm, the other to his whimpering dog, cooing it and shielding it from the others. He glared defiantly at the man, challenging him to force the two injured to leave. 

Even though the man stopped the event, the fire in the boy's eyes were fierce as he stood between him and the dog.

Nahashsan

Soules reined in Max and came a halt at the edge of the clearing. He spun around watching as Dades men scattered and disappeared into the trees.  Once he was confident they were alone he turned to face the young man before him.

He wanted to offer aid but the look he was being given told him it wouldn't be welcome. He cleaned his blade and sheathed it than dismounted.  "That was a nasty bite, are you ok. I have bandages in my saddle bag" he crouched down as he spoke with a soft voice

visualspice

The boy visibly flinched away, cowering protectively over the dog as they glared up at him.

Then he spoke. 

"First help my dog! He's more injured than!" He demanded, a fierceness burning in his blue eyes.

Nahashsan

He was still concerned about the boy but wasn't going to argue. 

Soules slipped out of the saddle and dropped lightly to the ground. Digging in one of the saddle bags he pulled out a roll of white bandages and a small pot of ointment.

"Is it ok for me to touch them, or would you prefer the bandage him yourself." He continued to speak in a soft reassuring voice.

visualspice

The boy's eyes were sharp as he studied the man, putting a hand out fir him to pass the ointment and bandages. Meanwhile, the pair continued to bleed.

Nahashsan

With a small sigh he handed over the first aid supplies. This kid was stubborn.

Once he handed over the supplies he stepped back. Turning in a circle he scanned the tree line make sure none of the men came back

visualspice

The wild, red haired boy snatched the offerings and turned away, working quickly to sooth the dog, as it whimpered and jerked at the ministrations. It took her some time to calm the dog, before she resorted to singing softly- the voice strangely feminine but portraying the boy in another light- that the wild hair near spilling from the hat could mean the boy either was a more effeminate man with long locks of red...
Or it was a cross dressing young woman. The sweet voice seemed to imply the latter as the young lady was finally able to rub the last of the ointment into the open gashes of the fur.  Then with dexterous hands, the lad bound the wounds and secured them, before glancing once suspiciously over at the horse rider then began to tend to her own wounds, using whatever salv was left before beginning to wrap up his arm. 

Nahashsan

Soules gave one final sweep of the perimeter before turning back the pair in the center of the clearing. The lad or was it lass had started singing. They where dressed as a boy but that didn't mean much, Xanti had been dressed as a tomboy when he had rescued her.

He Crouched down to theier level "I am Soules Jolon from Ajhfeld, what are your names?"

visualspice

The youth glared defiantly towards the man.

"What are our names worth to a soldier?" She asked defiantly. His attire was not lost on her.

Nahashsan

"Have a problem with soldiers, I get that. A lot of people don't care for my line of work ever since the war." He gave a soft friendly smile. "To a soldier your names mean nothing, but I am just a man trying to get home"

Standing back up he returned to Max. Digging through the bags again he produced some hardtact and a bad of jerky.  "Hungry," he asks, holding up the food.

visualspice

She looked at him, still guarded. Who was he trying to fool? She would not be simply persuaded by wooing words. That attire spoke volumes. But then he reached for something, and she jerked back, moving even more so between he and the dog- but once the bag was produced- she could smell the sweet, savory salts of the jerky- and her dog began to lick it's lips, sniffing lightly, but not moving from beneath it's master.

She looked from food to the man, before snatching it suddenly and staring at the back, with drawing some, a few more steps and peering at him, then moving to unbind the bag and inspected what was inside.

Her dog's tail began to wag beneath her, as she pulled out a piece and smelled it, taste tested a small portion before eyeing the man warily and moving to give her hound a piece.

"Do you aim to arrest us?" she asked bluntly.

Nahashsan

He was surprised by how fast they grabbed the bag of jerky.

"Why would I arrest you after going through so much trouble to rescue you and your dog?" He asked, tilting his head in confusion. "Should I be arresting you for something?"

visualspice

The youth continued to study the man, before removing another piece of meat and feeding it to her dog. As Soules tilted his head in confusion, the dog began to wag his tail, albeit hesitantly.

The red head continued to glare.
"I didn't know soldier's needed reasons," she stated tartly, winds picking up and blowing her hair. It was then her pale blue eyes widened, and she turned away suddenly, groping at her hair and hat and realizing, with a very unlady like curse, that her hair was spilling from it's confines.

Nahashsan

He sighed as the young lady glared at him.  "I don't know what beef you have with soldiers but I'm just trying to help. What would it take to gain you trust?"

visualspice

Turning away, she began to fuss over her hat, but then her entire hat toppled off, spilling long red hair everywhere. Cursing, she snatched up her hat and dashed off, pulling her dog along with her as she kept her back to Soules as she hoped to lose him in the tall grasses outside the city slums. She has left the ointment and remaining bandages behind- she hasn't even gotten to treat her own wounds.

But she couldn't go to prison. Couldn't let a soldier get her. She heard the horror stories...