Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Till the Stars Fall Down From the Heavens (@Nightcrawler)!!

Started by wandering_giraffe, December 18, 2023, 11:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

Today was a good day. Orion happily whistled, walking home and watching the clouds. There were some dark cumulonimbus clouds blanketing the sky, causing Orion to suspect that rain would be here in—-he checked his pocketwatch—-2 minutes and 31 seconds. Hmm. Barely enough time to get home. What's alittle rain? He enjoyed a good rain shower. Was good for the soul.
He shivered, snuggling into his black leather jacket. It wasn't supposed to be this cold and be raining. This felt cold enough for snow. He sighed. Weather was so temperamental.
The first drops of rain fell on his face, making him stop walking, wrinkle his nose and look up at the sky. Sure enough, rain began to fall, the rain hitting the green, lush grass and causing a pleasant sound to begin, the rhythm of rain beginning to pick up.
He took a step forward and the ground was gone, him falling forward, causing him to emit a startled yelp. And then the sounds of the rain disappeared. Everything disappeared in fact. Time seemed to slow down. Or did it speed up? It's hard to tell when you have nothing to gauge time by.

For what is time but the perception of one's reality?

Orion awoke with a groan, finding himself entangled in a thorn bush. Great. Was he dreaming before...and walked into a thorn bush? Or did he fall into a hole that he didn't see and is he dreaming now? The unforgiving thorns digging into his skin made him suspect that this wasn't a dream.
Very confused, Orion extracted himself from the thorn bush. Something told him to hide behind it, for there were agitated voices and shouts coming over to him.
"I saw it! A burst of light and he just...he fell!"
"Oh what, a guy fell from the sky. You're more crazy today than usual."
"I saw it! I'm going to go get the Mordecai."
Orion nervously was trying to ignore what was staring him in the face. This wasn't home. This definitely wasn't home. This ornate structure that was in the sprawling courtyard looked rather like something out his imagination.
He needed a nap. This was too much.
He gingerly inspected his hand. A thorn had dug into his hand quite deeply. It stung...a lot...he needed to find his way out of this courtyard. Before whatever the heck "mordecai" were came here.

Nightcrawler

Damnation.

He was stuck.

Not stuck in any physical sense. He was free enough to move about in that cramped closet. Rather, he was stuck in the sense that the "Mordecai" man had not moved from his desk in this dusty, stuffy office for four damned hours. Before that, there was some sort of meeting — some family affair — and before that, another Mordecai man sat at the same desk.

And before that? Well. If he must admit it, Ven had been poking his nose where he shouldn't. He had heard tale of this northern land of folk who could neutralize a man's magicks. He should have known better than to think that it would work on him...or that these people would want anything more than to slay him on sight. Or shoot him, as they were wont to do in this particular country. The barbarians.

Of course it wasn't any different than where he'd come from, he thought bitterly. Of course.

Someone knocked at the door. If Ven's heart still beat, it would have leapt from his chest. He thought that surely it was a knock on his door. But no. Through that thin slit in the closet door, he saw the Mordecai shift and glance away towards the entrance. "Come i— "

"Sir, a mage. A mage has been spotted on the grounds."

The Mordecai man spared no time in standing and shoving his heavy chair out of the way. "Where? How? They shouldn't be able to — "

"I don't know, sir, but he did. They say he fell from the sky."

"Sounds like someone's been drinking on shift," the Mordecai grumbled. "Ugh. Very well. Lead the way."

And with that, the two of them cleared out, leaving the room empty for the first time in at least twelve hours. Thank the gods for a distraction — whomever that poor soul might be to take the fall. Ven felt his face. Yes, his mask was up. His hood was low enough over his head to hide his eyes. He would be a suspicious sight nonetheless. He did not look the part of these folk, what with his flowing cloak and shabby garb. He would have to use a window and climb down the exterior wall, and even then...

Perhaps he should not attempt such an escape until cover of nightfall. Then again, he could at least find an advantageous position that was not a closet, and wait there until after dark. At least this way, he would not have to endure the hunger as badly as he had these past few hours. It was beginning to grow unbearable again. Yes. That made the most sense.

Eager to waste no further time, Ven pushed the closet door open and, upon finding the room still blessedly empty, he began to survey his surroundings. There were plenty of windows to choose from, though from this side of the building, he would have to drop down into the central courtyard — the opposite direction he wanted to go.

"Ansgar save me, where is that — "

A voice. Footsteps stomping down the hall. He had no choice. The courtyard it was, and he had to act fast. Ven raced to the nearest window and pried it open. He was one foot out when a man barged in through the entryway.

"Wh — who are you?!"

A second later, he landed in a bush, with the man still panicking above him and sounding the alarm about intruders. Thorns tore at his skin and tugged at his clothing. "Agh! Pasketa Valo, why would you grow such a thing?" Ven muttered as he flailed and ripped the prickly vines from his already battered cloak. Nevertheless, he stayed low, hoping that his forest-colored gear would be enough to camouflage him until he came up with a plan of exit. He picked more thorns from his trousers and gazed out at the courtyard from behind the bush.

And then he saw the hand. The hand attached to the arm, attached to the man who crouched not six feet away in the next bush over. He squinted. He cocked his head. And then he realized, as a figure in a white tabard and heavy armor marched directly towards them from across the courtyard, exactly with whom he shared a hiding spot. "Ah," he muttered. "I see."

wandering_giraffe

Orion only heard the other man fall into the bush, and he started, glancing over at the thorn bush. "Holy mother of—-wait...did you fall from the sky too? Are you alright?"
Orion contemplated something. He wasn't accusatory or suspicious in any way, he was just genuinely curious.
"Is that just how people travel here? By falling from the sky?"
He pondered that idea for a second.
"Well...it happened to me...and you...so I'll accept it."
The man in the armor was drawing closer, and Orion anxiously looked at the man next to him.
"Are you...the mordecai someone was talking about? This place must be really technologically advanced...they left not 5 minutes ago and you're already here."
The soldier stopped in front of the bush and looked around.
"Erm...should we run? I suddenly am getting the feeling I shouldn't be here anymore," he told the other man.

Nightcrawler

"From the sk— what? No," Ven hissed. "And I hardly think that now is the best time to — "

"Is that just how people travel here? By falling from the sky?"

Ven glanced nervously between his strange partner-in-crime and the fast-approaching Mordecai. Already, more soldiers had entered the courtyard and now fanned out to search for intruders. "N...no? Wh...what are you..." He shook his head in utter disbelief, but took care to keep his hood over his eyes. He did not need a repeat incident with those 'vampire' hunters. "Clearly I must be dreaming," he muttered to himself. He began to strategize. He would not make it out of this courtyard without a fight. Not with those wicked firearms these people used.

"Well...it happened to me...and you...so I'll accept it."

"No, it very well did not," Ven corrected the man, a bit more sharply than he'd intended. He shot another anxious look at him. Not that his companion could see it. "I jumped from the window. Are you...have you...eaten some mushroom or berry that you shouldn't have? Gods help me. And...no. I am not a...'Mor-te-kai'. The Mor-te-kai is the one in white. And he will arrest us both where we stand if we remain here."

Ven shut up just as the Mordecai reached the edge of the bushes, and he motioned for the man to do the same. He watched those heavy boots pace back and forth. He bit his lip. Leave, he thought. Just go. He glanced around for a suitable weapon, or a stone to throw to distract the soldiers, but he found nothing. He wished he had brought his walking stick instead of leaving it against the exterior wall of the compound. It always proved to be too cumbersome for these clandestine operations.

"Erm...should we run? I suddenly am getting the feeling I shouldn't be here anymore."

The Mordecai jerked towards the sound of the man's voice. "In there!" he cried. Ven groaned. He didn't want it to come to this. He didn't want killing. He should have stayed in that damned closet. "We should try," he replied with a nod. "Though I fear..." He exhaled sharply. Neither of them had the time for him to explain. "Never mind it. You go left. I'll go right. Aim for the archway — there. It should lead to the front of the estate. Ready? Now!"

wandering_giraffe

"Ah shit..."
Orion leapt up from the thorn bush and ran towards the archway, desperately hoping they would chase him and leave the other man alone.
All his days of training horses had paid off. Orion could probably outrun them. And so he tried, running left as the man had instructed, hearing shouts from behind him.
"He's getting away!"
Orion pushed himself to run faster. He didn't quite understand why they were chasing him...maybe getting entangled in thorn bushes were forbidden.
Orion was almost to archway when a loud bang happened.  Something hit Orion in the arm, just grazing it. Orion swore, clutching his arm and stumbling the tiniest bit just from the sudden explosion of pain in his arm.
"Fuck!"
He ran through the archway and looked frantically for a gate...ah yes there's one. Orion desperately pushed it shut in between him, Ven, and the guards, hoping it would buy them some time.
"Where do we run now? Why are they chasing us? Are you ok?" He asked Ven. He could feel blood trickling down his arm. It was annoying him.

Nightcrawler

The man dashed left. Ven slid right around the worst of the thorns and darted out into the fray, one hand held to his hood. There were even more guards now, and the Mordecai had drawn a pistol. Stupid, he thought. This would turn deadly all too quickly. Why hadn't he just stayed in that damned closet? But then this poor, strange fellow would not have had a chance at all, would he? Now, at least...

It all happened at once, and by the time he'd sensed them, it was far too late. Fingers closed around his free arm. Someone else grabbed a fistful of his cloak. The demon surged forth for them both. For the briefest moment, he had not held shut that cage, and now it was loose. And it smelled prey. "NO!" Ven cried, but a shot rang out and swallowed his plea.

Pandemonium. The two guards writhed in agony at his feet as the life left them. A third could not stop himself in time and fell screaming and clutching at his skin. Ven stumbled backwards, but as he did, a strange feeling swept over him. A...confidence. All went quiet but for a ringing in his ears. Things that had mattered a moment ago did not seem to now. And things that had not mattered at all came bubbling to the forefront. It was not the demon. No. The demon had its own primal wants. This was something...different. And familiar.

The guards kept their distance now, though a few of them had nocked arrows and drawn them. All eyes were on him, and all were fearful. Ven suddenly found that he did not care. It was time to make an exit. He stepped free of the pile of pale corpses, turned, and ran for the gate, slipping through just before the stranger shut it. Something hit him in the shoulder. It was no matter.

"Where do we run now?" the man asked. His voice was a fly buzzing in some distant window. "Why are they chasing us? Are you ok?"

Ven looked back at the gates for a moment, then at the man. His hood had fallen to his shoulders, revealing what he'd worked so hard to keep hidden: blackened eyes in blackened sockets, and skin too pale to be a living man's. Long, straight, dark hair fell in messy strands over his brow. The mask remained in place to cover the rest of his frightful appearance.

He entirely ignored the man's gunshot wound. He also ignored the arrow that stuck out of his own shoulder. That was a problem for later.

"Hmm?" he asked, almost lazily. "Ah. No. No time for questions, Mr. Sky. Come with me. And do keep your distance," he added with a rather concerning little chuckle.

Ven spun on his heel and marched through the entry vestibule with the air of a man who was out on a pleasant jaunt. He did not look back to see if the stranger followed as he burst through the doors and out into the evening light. The street was not empty. His black eyes slid from bystander to terrified bystander, challenging them to get any closer. By the awful racket they made, he was certain that it was only a matter of time before the city guard came running. Well. He could retrieve his walking stick in that time, could he not?

He swung a sharp right and followed the estate wall. "Come along, Mr. Sky!" he called.

wandering_giraffe

In his adrenaline induced state, his mind somehow blocked out everything but the fact that he needed to run.
But when the gate had closed and a mad sort of calm had descended and the craziness rather faded from his brain; he took a deep breath, trying to calm his pounding heart.
"Ah...you've got an arrow sticking out of your shoulder..."
He winced as the warmness on his arm reminded him rudely of his own wound.
The man's appearance did startle him slightly, but he said nothing. He did help him out after all.
Orion kept a hand pressed to the wound on his arm, anxiously following the pale man.
"Are we going back? But we just escaped! You know what...never mind...can I at least wrap your shoulder?"
Orion noticed the bystanders looking.
"You'll have to excuse him, it's a wrong side of the bed kind of day," he hastily explained to the onlookers.
Mr. Sky, the pale man had called him...he rather liked that name.
"My name's Orion, but you can call me Mr. Sky...or just Sky."
Orion sighed. And he thought today was going to be a good day originally.

Nightcrawler

"Ah...you've got an arrow sticking out of your shoulder," said Mr. Sky, still buzzing in the background.

"Yes," Ven barked as he strode along the outside of the estate wall.

"Are we going back? But we just escaped! You know what...never mind...can I at least wrap your shoulder?"

"Not back, Mr. Sky. Simply sideways for a moment. Priorities! A man must have his priorities. Wouldn't you agree?" His words came forth rushed and feverish and tinged with manic joviality. He ignored the offer to tend to the arrow. Later. Not now. "Aha!" he exclaimed without warning, and reached into a shallow alcove in the wall. He withdrew a tall, rustic, hand-whittled walking stick. He thumped it on the cobblestone in triumph. "Priorities," he repeated, and turned sharply to face his companion. His eyes were wide, and they darted about, never quite focusing on any one part of the man.

"My name's Orion, but you can call me Mr. Sky...or just Sky," the man said. Irrelevant, of course. They had other, more pressing matters at hand.

"Mm," Ven grunted, like what he'd just heard had bored him. "Yes." He looked around them, and then up at the sky, and drew in a deep breath and savored it as though the city air smelled of perfumed flowers and not dog droppings and rotted garbage. "Yes, yes, yes," he repeated. His attention snapped suddenly back to Mr. Sky.

"Keep the pressure on it," he instructed, eyes boring unblinkingly into the man's soul. "I must find...hmm. And then we must depart. It would be a shame for any more men to die here. Don't you think?" But by the way he said it, he didn't sound convinced of that at all. He gazed past Mr. Sky at the terrified townsfolk like he was inspecting fruit at a market stall.

Ven abruptly started forth again, passing dangerously close to Mr. Sky without a second thought. The demon surged for the man, but it was easily contained — more a nuisance than any real threat. He liked that. He liked the power that he could exert over it. The control. He chuckled. This was good. This was very good.

"Can you fight, Mr. Sky?" he called conversationally as he strode down the street towards a likely-looking shop.

wandering_giraffe

The pale man seemed...strangely happy. Who was Orion to judge? He shrugged. Following the pale man. Well, Orion was keeping pressure on it. But it was starting to hurt...a lot...the pain spreading from his arm into the rest of his body.

"It would be a shame for any more men to die here," Ven said, shaking Orion out of his uneasy thoughts.
"Hmm? Oh...yes yes of course."
Orion fiddled with his coat pocket, feeling something in it. He dug around in it, and drew out a rather withered sprig of lavender. He slightly smiled and smelled it, the smell calming him and slowing his thoughts down.

When the pale man moved past him he felt a sudden, strange ominous feeling.
He shrugged again, feeling rather detached from the current world. Maybe it was the wound, or his body trying to adjust to this new universe.
"Can I fight? Well...I used to do fencing as a hobby...or did I? It's hard to remember." Orion frustratedly rubbed the back of his neck. Why couldn't he remember? He fell...ended up here...that was it. No memories...he sighed, slightly annoyed.
"Is there perhaps an apothecary nearby?"
He threw the wilted sprig of lavender away. He could get more...maybe...

He had so many questions, but he decided to not ask them right now. He could wait...he also felt like if he didn't sit down soon he was going to pass out.

Nightcrawler

"Fencing!" Ven exclaimed as he marched towards the shop. "I see, I see. Hmmh. Never was an interest of mine...a foreigner's sport, you see. But very good. Very..." He stopped in front of the store and his train of thought trailed off. He stared at a sign that hung in the window.

"Is there perhaps an apothecary nearby?"

Ven slapped his belt bag. "I am the apothecary," he replied. He continued to analyze the sign. "Gods damn these people and their writing. Why use a proper script when we can just — scribble nonsense?" He flailed his free hand animatedly, then huffed. He checked the doorknob. It was locked. Of course it was locked. He glanced over his shoulder — and the protruding arrow — at their onlookers.

"Hmmh," he said, and his voice was tinged with worry. "Running out of time."

Without further ado, he drew back his walking stick, bashed it through the glass, reached through, and unlocked the door. He pushed into the shop. "Quickly, Mr. Sky," he ordered, and shut and locked the door behind them. A bell tinkled as he closed it. He drew the curtains. It would buy them a few more seconds.

Footsteps in the back. Someone shuffled in from a door behind the counter. "HEY! Shop's closed! How did y—"

Ven spun and pointed his stick at the clerk. "OUT," he barked like she was a stray cat who had wandered into his home.

"Oh, absolutely not," she hissed. "You get out! I'm calling the g—"

Ven sighed with all of the patience of a man who was late for an appointment. He lowered his stick and began to rifle through some goods in a nearby display. "Hey!" the clerk cried again. He ignored her and withdrew a pair of tweezers from a box, and a little pair of scissors. In another display he found catgut, and in a third, a needle. He set all of these on a table next to a stool, and then turned to Mr. Sky.

"Sit," he said.

wandering_giraffe

Orion watched as he broke into the shop. His muddled brain genuinely thought that the pale man owned the shop and had forgotten the key. He watched the exchange between the pale man that was not the shop owner—-apparently—-and the clerk. Orion spied a small pouch on a shelf about waist level and quietly grabbed it, casually grabbing the money out of it and setting the pouch back on the shelf.
"Erm...miss..." he holds up all the money "perhaps this will cover the damages? Take it before I change my mind. I worked hard for this money."
Orion handed the money to her and then sat where the pale man was indicating.
The clerk had left and Orion sighed.
"I don't much like needles but maybe I deserve this..." he sunk into thought...

"I just realized, I don't know your name."
Orion worked out of his black leather jacket with alot of difficulty, reopening the bullet wound that had just crusted over. His arm was completely covered in blood, both from the original wound and reopening it.
"So...how did you fall from the window? I'm genuinely curious," he asked, sucking in a sharp breath of pain because his damn arm was killing him. He idly wondered if the bullet had poison in it.

Nightcrawler

Ven did not expect Mr. Sky's sleight of hand, but it was not unwelcome. "Sharp," he murmured as he watched the clerk disappear. "Sharper than I thought." Presumably she'd gone to fetch the guards, but Mr. Sky had at least kept her from harm's way by placating her enough that she would leave. And it was good that she'd left, for his last order of business was to rifle through her liquor stock behind the counter. He withdrew a promising bottle of clear liquid and tilted it to gauge its strength. "It will have to do," he said. As he turned, he made note of several winter coats on display near the window. This was good. This would help.

Ven approached the chair where he'd directed his companion. "I don't much like needles, but maybe I deserve this..." the man said.

"Ah, well, you see: the needle is the easiest part." Ven grinned down at him as though this were at all encouraging for a gunshot victim to hear. "But never fear. Time works against me, and thus in your favor. For now, we must only remove that bullet and stop the bleeding." Then the smile fell. He hesitated. He knew what he must do, and that it would likely work, but still he hesitated. He set the alcohol on the table, removed his gloves, and stowed them in his pocket.

"I just realized, I don't know your name."

"Hmm?" Ven frowned. "I hardly think that is of import. Priorities, Mr. Sky. Bullet first. Questions...later."

He extended a pale hand, one finger out, and moved it slowly towards Mr. Sky's chest. As he drew closer, he began to squint and turn away, like he was frightened of touching a hot stove and not merely a man.

Finger touched shirt cloth. The demon barely stirred. Yes. It could be done. More than that: for now, it seemed, it was easy. In an instant, the fear dropped and his crazed eyes snapped back open. "Ha!" he cried. "Very good." He withdrew his hand and examined it with an air of fascination. He did not bother mentioning to his companion that his touch could have spelled death. Better for the man to focus on the now, and not what might have been.

"Yes. Good. Let's make this quick," Ven said. He rolled up his sleeves, brushed his hair from his face, swung a leg over Mr Sky, and straddled him. He plopped down squarely on the man's lap. This, as always, was for stability, as well as to render his patient somewhat immobile. He reached for the liquor bottle and pulled the cork. "Arm," he ordered.

"So...how did you fall from the window? I'm genuinely curious."

Ven paused with the bottle halfway to the wound and shot Mr. Sky an exasperated glance. "The way any man falls from a window: I jumped from it," he replied. "Triage now. Questions later. Ready? Good." He did not actually wait for the man's response, but simply upended the bottle over the bullet wound and held it there for a second. He removed it, dipped the tweezers in it, set the bottle down, and pulled Mr. Sky's arm closer. "Now the bullet," he said, and sent the tweezers in.

wandering_giraffe

Orion nervously eyed the needle and the bottle of liquor.
"Make it quick, please," he anxiously requested. Gods he wished he had lavender right about now.

"Questions later"

He was beginning to slightly wonder if he was just cursed to never know the answers to this strange world he fell into.
Seeing how the pale man was practically flinching when he was reaching his hand out, Orion offered a smile.
"I don't bite," he joked.

Curious. He needed to write down a list of all his questions he had.

The pale man just...got on his lap and waited for him to give him his arm. Orion just pretended the needle wasn't there. He took a shaky breath and reluctantly let the pale man take his arm.

"You jumped from the window...is that normal—-Holy fucking shit!"
He involuntarily moved his arm when the pale man poured the alcohol over it. Gods that hurt worse than being shot. It was like liquid...cold...fire.
As soon as the pale man set the bottle down he took the bottle, apologized to the pale man, and drunk some of it, eyes watering at the strength of the liquor.
"I'm sorry, I'm not a habitual drinker, but...fuck...I've got to dull the pain somehow...you understand."

Nightcrawler

Ven stopped his work and watched, eyebrow arched in consternation, as Mr. Sky took a drink of the bloodied liquor. He reached forward and snatched it out of the man's hands, shoved the stopper back in, and set it back down on the table. He lectured the foolish stranger as he dug around in his belt bag for the one thing he'd forgotten. "You've lost blood. Drinking will make it worse. Stay still, please. We are nearly out of time, and I should remove this bullet and pack the wound at the least. Aha! Found it."

Ven withdrew a wad of long, clean fabric strips from the bag and laid them out on his thigh. Then he took the arm back up, gripped it firmly, and aimed the tweezers. He glanced between the needle on the table and Mr. Sky, and added, "If it is any relief, I shall sew you up when we are out of danger. Not just now. For now...the bullet. Hold your breath and pray to your maker. I'm going in for it."

He drove the tweezers in. His fingers trembled more than he ever remembered them doing. "Yeh...tir...fai...there it is...hmm...almost have it...just a little more...and...done." Finally, he pulled it. It had not hit bone, but the wound bled fresh from all of the digging. Ven hastily dropped the bloody tweezers in his bag and pressed a wad of the fabric over the bullet hole. "Hold this here," he instructed as he readied the remaining strips. He wrapped them around Mr. Sky's arm and tied them tight. "Pressure on it until it slows again," he added distractedly. Then he swung his leg back over the man, swept the suture supplies off the table and into his bag, and went to collect a few more things from around the shop as though he hadn't just sat on a complete stranger's lap like some woman of the evening. He began to talk again as he did so.

"Let's see. Questions...questions. And now, answers. Hmmh. They were chasing you, Mr. Sky, because they think you have magical abilities and that this makes you a criminal. I must admit that the lunacy of this particular country grates on me even more than that of the last one." Ven tore one of the long, warm coats down from a mannequin and tossed it at the man. "You will want this. As for the arrow — yes, I'll need you to pull it before we leave this shop, but not just this moment. My name is Avendego-i-Pereten, but you may save yourself seven syllables and call me Ven. What am I missing...ah." He yanked another coat down, turned, grabbed some sort of dense-looking biscuit, and lobbed it at Mr. Sky before cocking his head and grinning in feverish amusement at the last question. "As for whether or not it is normal to leap from windows: it depends upon the man doing it."

wandering_giraffe

Orion winced as the pale man got the bullet out of his arm, internally wanting to curse and punch something, preferably a door.
The pale man wrapped Orion's wound, and then got up and began looking around for something.

"Chasing me?" Orion incredulously asked. He actually laughed.
"But I don't have magic abilities"—-a warm coat promptly hit him in the face.
He put on the coat, quietly awestruck by how soft the coat was.
"Thank you. About the arrow...I've only ever pulled an arrow out of one of my horses I was training—-it's a long story—-but I'm no surgeon. I'll try my best though."
"Ven. A nice name. What's our plan from here? Where do we go? I assume away from this city, yes?"
A biscuit came flying at him from the direction of Ven and he hastily caught it.
"Ah...thanks for this...what is it?"

Outside, a storm was brewing. Both in the sky...and amongst the Mordecai.

Nightcrawler

"Well," Ven chuckled, "Thankfully for you, I am not a horse. I shan't bleed like one. All you need do is pull it. The hole will repair itself." He double checked the contents of his belt bag. It was quite a bit heavier now, but he was certain that they could make do with what he'd packed away. Satisfied, he closed it and made for his walking stick, which he'd leaned against the wall.

More footsteps. More commotion. "I think they went in here!" a voice called from outside the door.

"Ah. We are out of time, Mr. Sky," Ven observed. He snatched up his stick and turned his back towards the man. "Pull, if you wouldn't mind. And then don the coat. And...yes. You would be a lot safer if you left this infernal city. And this city would be a lot safer if I left with you. So that is what we shall do."

wandering_giraffe

Orion got up from the chair and quickly walked over to Ven, the increasing shouts and commotion from outside making him nervous.
"This isn't going to feel good," Orion warned, and then placed a hand on Ven's shoulder, gripping the arrow with his other hand and pulling it out, quickly pressing a strip of fabric to it and applying pressure.
The arrow was coated with a brown substance. Orion wasn't grossed out by it, but he was intrigued.
"Fascinating...is your blood always this color?"
There was a loud bang, and the door shook.
"You're right, we need to go..."
He hastily put on the coat, the coat being a slight bit larger than he was used to wearing.
Orion made sure Ven was following and then ran to the back of the store, hoping there was an exit.
He spied a rather ornate dagger hanging on the wall, and grabbed it. It wasn't a
foil but it would have to do.
Orion glanced out a small window in the back. The clouds were dark, and blanketed almost the whole sky.
"It's going to rain in...exactly 11 minutes..."
Then Orion realized he hadn't pulled out his pocketwatch...the words just kinda came out.
Up in the front of the store, the door splintered, and guards rushed in. There were...at least four guards.
"Why do they care so much about my supposed  magic? Strange country indeed."

Nightcrawler

Ven shut his eyes and clenched his teeth in anticipation of the pain. He needn't have. After all, the arrow hadn't hurt when it entered, and it did not hurt when Mr. Sky pulled it. It seemed that satiety had its own strange benefits. In fact, he found himself rather more preoccupied by the warm hand that pressed against his shoulder. He couldn't recall the last time anyone so much as brushed past him without him worrying. To be touched without consequence. It was...strange. His throat tightened. He swallowed.

"Ah, no need to tend to the wound," he informed the man over his shoulder. "It will heal without a bandage. Thank you, Mr. Sky." Ven kept his back to his companion while he flipped his hood up over his head. He pulled on that big, heavy coat — the very act he'd needed the arrow removed for. "Hmmh. Not my preference, but it will buy us time," he muttered, looking utterly bizarre with the oversized thing draped over his mishmash of ranger's garb.

"Fascinating...is your blood always this color?"

"Hmm?" Ven turned and cocked his head. "Well, yes. Rather disgusting, is it not — "

BAM. The door jumped on its hinges. Ven startled. "You're right, we need to go," said Mr. Sky.

"Indeed," Ven agreed, and followed the man further back into the shop. But while it seemed that they'd both hoped for an easy exit, all that could be found was one small, sad window. He looked Mr. Sky up and down. He swore beneath his breath. Neither of them would be able to fit through it if he broke it. And, while the part of him that rode this thrill wanted nothing more than to fuel it by marching out and feeding the demon, he could not allow that to happen. So they were trapped.

He glanced over at the man again. His giddiness was gone, replaced with quiet concern. "These are close quarters. It will be different than fencing. It may be brutal. Do you know how to use what you found?" he asked with a nod to the dagger. But Mr. Sky was distracted by something out the window.

"It's going to rain in...exactly 11 minutes..."

Ven grunted impatiently. "Is it?" he replied with the same unamused tone he'd used at the mention of the man's name.

BAM. The door blew off its hinges. Glass shattered and streamed in little pieces across the dirty floor. Men marched in one by one, looking...fearful. It was a strange sight. Yet not unexpected, Ven realized. This country did not hate the arcane and otherworldly. It simply feared what it did not understand.

...Or perhaps these men had simply seen the demon at work.

"Why do they care so much about my supposed magic? Strange country indeed," Mr. Sky remarked.

"Yes," Ven muttered as he sized up the guardsmen. "In that, Mr. Sky, we do agree."

One of the guards stepped forward. His voice shook as he spoke. "The two of you are under arrest! Come quietly, now. Don't make this worse for yourselves."

Ven barked a laugh, though it was more to himself than to the guards. "Arrest," he repeated with haughty irreverence. "No. I think not." He turned to address his companion. "We need only disable them, and then we run. Out the front door and to the right. No more killing, if we can help it. Yes?" The directive was for himself as much as it was for Mr. Sky. It was a reminder to keep his own guard up against the path of temptation. And to never forget his purpose.

"Come now. Time's up. Get out of that back room and you won't be harmed," called the guard.

"Yes, yes. Coming," Ven replied with the air of a nagged husband who was late for a minor social event. He strode back into the shop from the back, walking stick gripped tightly and head bowed. He eyed the goods behind the counter as he did so. Liquor. And matches. And a lantern sat burning right there on the counter. Well. They could add arson to their list of crimes, if the worst came to it. It would certainly prove to be a sufficient distraction.

Ven circled the counter and raised his hands, though the gesture's effect was lessened somewhat by the fact that he still held his stick. The men began to back away. Two drew swords. "Well?" he challenged them. "Arrest me, then." The guards glanced nervously at each other. They began to approach, circling around to cut him off from Mr. Sky. Like a pack of coyotes, Ven thought. He waited, stick raised.

"Drop it," the head guard ordered, waggling his sword at the stick.

"Mm. As you wish," Ven replied. Without warning, he swung downward and rapped the man square on his ugly skull. The guard staggered. The others rushed forward, but not before he whipped the stick between his opponent's legs and swept upward. The guard grunted, dropped his weapon, and clutched his nethers, his face a blotchy red. Ven withdrew the stick and rammed it into the man's breastplate, sending him stumbling back over the ruined door.

He spun, eyes wild beneath the hood. Three more, and they had him surrounded. "Any time, now, Mr. Sky!" he called.

wandering_giraffe

Orion, meanwhile, had spotted the matches, liquor, and the lantern burning as well. He put on an air of false confidence, and strode out to the front room.
While Ven had gone around the counter, Orion stayed behind it, and quietly grabbed a match, holding it to the lantern and lighting it.
He then grabbed a bottle of liquor, uncorking it and snagging a sip.
"Hey!"
He roared at the guards, who were currently for some reason all targeting Ven. They stopped and looked at him.
"Any of you understand science, since you're so prone to hate magic, hmm?"
He held up the match, and the liquor.
"Wouldn't it be a shame if I dropped this? We'd all go up in flames. Also, lightning is going to strike in around 30 seconds..."
Orion sighed, acting bored, walking around the counter. The guards nervously backed up.
"I tire of killing, but Nature discriminates not."
20 seconds...
"Why don't you let my friend go, and I'll extinguish the match."
"10 seconds..." rain began to fall. He set down the bottle of liquor on the counter and placed the burning match precariously balanced on the bottle.
They seemed locked in a stalemate, until the lightning struck. The building shook, and the match fell into the bottle of liquor. Orion was practically right next to Ven by this time, and he discreetly grabbed him by the hand.
"Right on time," Orion called. He used the jarring thunder as a distraction, the guards shouting and trying to grab them, but it was too late. Orion and Ven had disappeared into the rain.

Nightcrawler

And Mr. Sky delivered. Ven froze, still poised for attack, and watched alongside the guardsmen. He understood the threat quite well: back off, or the place goes up in flames. The man's methods, however, and the way he phrased it... Before, Ven had dismissed the man out of hand as a salt-of-the-earth rancher asking too many questions. Now, his interest was piqued. And that interest grew as the rain began to fall.

Mr. Sky had said it would rain. Ven had assumed that he was simply disposed to nervous chatter. But no. Here was the rain, just as predicted, pattering over the cobble just outside of the shattered doorframe. So, he thought. They chased you for a reason. All the better that they escaped the city. And now the man predicted lightning, with the same curious compulsion to say it aloud.

Thunder rumbled. It all happened in an instant. Before he knew it, there was that same alarming sensation of warm skin, and he was dragged out the door and into the storm. The rain, while a nuisance, proved useful: the streets were clear. They were no longer under the scrutinous eye of the townsfolk. And with these coats covering their strange garb, he hoped that any guard would simply think that they were running for shelter.

Ven slipped his hand out of Mr. Sky's. He slowed and took a moment to get his bearings. "Not out the front gate," he breathed. "We'll be stopped for certain." He racked his mind for what little he recalled of this city and its entry points. They could climb to the top of the ramparts, but a leap from the parapet could break a man's bones. And he did not know enough about the city's sewer network to consider using it. He sighed. If only there was some way to speed through the gate without the posted guard catching them. If only they had a...

"Horse," Ven said suddenly. Then he realized that he'd only said the last part of it aloud. "A horse," he repeated. "We need a horse. Mr. Sky, can you ride?"