Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An inch too far. (Sam)

Started by Xphy, October 22, 2009, 12:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xphy

Today was going to be an interesting one, or at least the night would be. Calyse knew her mother was not going to be happy about her flight from the fort this morning, especially after she had specifically asked her to stay at home. In all honesty she probably would have felt the same way too if the role had been reversed, but there was nothing she could do about that now except apologize and bear whatever punishment was sent her way.

Originally she actually hadn't intended to stay out as long as she had; an hour or two at max. She only really meant to take a ride into town long enough to pick up a gift for their guests, and return before they arrived. Sure she could have done it yesterday if she really wanted to, but she had her reasons for waiting until this morning. She wanted to make her mother sweat a little for telling her over and over to stay at home when she already planned to anyway. It wasn't as though she didn't realize how important this visit was for her family.

The second reason was that the gift was going to be as much of a surprise for her mother as it was for Thandryon's heiress. She wanted to show her that she could take things seriously when she needed to.

Unfortunately by the time Calyse had returned to the fort their guests had already arrived, as made apparent by the extra horses that were being kept at the stable. As she led her own steed into its stall the stable master only confirmed her suspicions, which really didn't do much for her confidence. It definitely was in her best interests, and her mother's for that matter, not to cross paths with the High Lady just yet. Doing so would only put her mother in an uncomfortable situation, which would only have made things worst for her. She could wait until later when her mother wasn't entertaining their guests to apologize to her.

In the end she decided to remain outside by the stables for a little while. Trying to sneak inside probably wasn't a good idea since there was a chance that they would run into one another. Not to mention one of the servants inside of the main building might have seen her and told her mother. Neither of those situations would have ended well in her favor.

After she was finished seeing to her horse she removed a small white box from its saddle. It, specifically what was inside might have been her only saving grace. Truthfully she didn't know if Vethrys would have appreciated something like it, being a knight an all. However she figured it was much more appropriate to give her something Altas Verde was well known for than say a sword or shield. Also she hadn't exactly had the luxury of traveling with a group since she wanted to keep things a secret. So she hadn't been able to bring back something large either. The gift would just have to do. Even if Thandryon didn't like those sorts of things she at least hoped she would at least appreciate its value.

Anonymous

Aldrio stayed behind after most of the Thandryon coterie had gone up to their rooms.  He'd bathed back at the inn and dressed neatly and carefully in his own colors, dark green and cream, though he wore a black-and-white cloak with a silver Thandryon unicorn for a pin.  Away from Fallial, or even away from the Horn, no one would reliably recognize the Mirak name or coat-of-arms, or its loyalties.  

He also had one of his hats, green with a feather, and paid for by Vethrys like his cloak-pin.  He took it off and set it carefully on a bale of hay while he tended his courser.  She was an aging gray mare and still fast and agile, but her hocks were bad and her arthitis got worse every year.  He'd bought her cheaply a few years ago and, since, learned the healing tricks to keep her in shape for riding.  Her pain had made her bad-tempered, inclined to bite and kick.  She was still mean to most, but Aldrio had wooed her with treats, rubs, healing, and a loose rein; she only bit him sometimes.  He called her Snake, because she was quick and bit like one.

He clicked his tongue at her and palmed a handful of the dried corn he kept in his pocket.  She lipped it out of his hand and searched for more, but Aldrio pushed her nose away before she could slobber on his tunic.  He didn't have another.  

"Here we are," he murmured, running a hand down her neck, over her shoulder, and then down the swollen joints of her foreleg.  They were hot to touch, and she bared her teeth and stamped her foot irritably, nearly catching his toes.  He danced back in time, and wrapped a hand firmly around her pastern, fingers tickled by feathers of white hair.  He couldn't heal arthritis, but he could send away some of the swelling and release the fluids that would numb the pain.  Eyes shut in concentration, he did so.  

When he'd finished all four legs, he scratched Snake on the withers and backed out of the stall, offering his fingers to her tongue in farewell.  He brought his hand back and wiped it with a cloth once she'd finished.  Then he retrieved his hat, settled it at a jaunty angle, and started out of the stables for the bright light of the yards.  They'd set up his accommodations already.  At some point he'd ask a servant where they'd put him.  Likely not hard by the Lady Thandryon this time, he rather thought; she might be trying to make a good impression on the High Lady.  Marriage was the word of the day, apparently.  

He'd made it only halfway down the central aisle of the stables when he caught sight of a noblelady pulling away from her horse.  A stableboy stood by to untack it, which made him curious.  More curious still when he saw what she was wearing.  Aldrio was always conscious of clothing, not in a dandyish way; rather, it was a reliable status marker, in quality and color.  She was well-to-do.  More striking were her looks.  He'd looked carefully at the High Lady, and this young woman was nearly her younger double.  Calyse, no doubt.  

Aldrio removed his hat and bowed to her in acknowledgment.  "My Lady," he said.

Xphy

With her mind focused on trying to figure out a good way to apologize to her mother Calyse hadn't really notice the young man's approach until he addressed her. In fact he had managed to startle her a little, even if it hadn't been his intention, causing her to instinctually move the hand holding the box behind her back. The fewer people who knew about it the less likely it was that either Vethrys or her mother would find out about it before she was ready to present it. She just hoped whoever it was that had addressed her hadn't seen it...or at the very least was able to take a hint.

After having a good look at him she could honestly say that she didn't recognize him as one of House Feyal's Guard. While she couldn't say the same thing about names she was fairly good with remembering faces, especially those she would have seen on a regular basis. Of course the clothing he was wearing was enough to confirm that he didn't serve her family. To her knowledge there were no families in Altas Verde that had a crest like the one on his clothing, and the silver unicorn pin he wore on his clothing made it all the more obvious.

He was rather good looking man though; she would give him that. His pointed ears seemed to hint toward a good amount of fey blood flowing through his veins, and the expensive looking hat and pin that he wore seemed to suggest that he had some level of wealth. That or he was well funded by his masters, possibly being one of their more favored Knights. Either way she couldn't say that she would've minded if he did serve her family. He would have at least been nice to look at every now and then.

"Oh, you are a knight of Thandryon's Guard aren't you? Might I have your name?" She spoke unusually casually for someone in her position. She really didn't see a need not to though. It wasn't like she had actual authority over him. He was sworn to the Thandryon family not her own, and she never saw the point of trying to exert superiority over someone of lesser status unless she had some authority over them, and even then only if she needed to. If anything she viewed doing so as a weakness, a sign that a person needed to continually reconfirm the extent of their power to make themselves feel like they actually possessed it.

To her a person who had true power didn't need to do those kinds of things.

"Also you needn't worry about your horse. The stable keepers here are among the best in Altas Verde." She had assumed that his horse was the reason he had come down to the stables. There weren't many other reasons to hang around there anyway. Regardless he seemed like he might have been a good source to gather some information on their guest. The woman had trusted him to travel with her after all.

Anonymous

Aldrio relaxed at the lady Calyse's tone, shifting his weight from one leg to the other, and ran a hand through his hair.  Not the overly-formal type, then.  Not the formal type at all.  Had she been more interested in propriety she would've been there to meet them when they'd arrived, after all.  He smiled at her and made a slow sweeping motion with his feathered cap.  

"You might.  It's Sir Aldrio Mirak," he said, inclining his head.  There was no need to elaborate, and, anyway, he had no landholdings to announce.  He smiled up at her and resettled his cap on his head, pushing the brim back so she could see his face.  He'd noticed her appraising look, and it didn't really surprise him.  Comeliness was the only Mirak virtue of recent years.  She was beautiful, too, well-proportioned and delicate, with particularly striking eyes.  He'd heard about the High Lady's hypnotic charm, but didn't recall that the daughter had inherited it, so he didn't flinch away from eye contact.  She was holding something behind her back, he saw.  He wondered what it was.

"And you must be the lady Calyse," he added, taking a step to one side so she could make her way out of the stall unhindered.  "I meant no insult to your stablekeepers.  It's my mare who's temperamental, not I."  He raised his eyebrows in apology and noted, once more, that she'd kept one hand behind her back.  "I'm sorry, is there something you don't want seen?  I could..."  He made a gesture as if to leave, or turn around.

Xphy

When Aldrio stepped to the side to allow her to exit horse's stall she did so nodding at his apology. Truthfully Calyse hadn't been insulted. She could understand how close some people were to their animals. Her own horse had a special place in her heart after all. Both of her parents had seen to it that she had taken care of him personally; something about teaching her about responsibility or something like that.

As he had addressed her by her name it was obvious that the knight had recognize her, undoubtedly thanks to the resemblance between her and her mother. Honestly Calyse had never been fond of how similar they looked; it made it a lot harder for her to move around without being noticed. Some nobles liked the attention, but Calyse wasn't one of them. She found it more annoying than anything else.

She did notice him peak at her hand a few times a few times though, a natural reaction of course. If she had been in his position she would have been curious about what she was hiding as well. Perhaps she could use that to her advantage. Yes, she definitely could use it to get some information out of him. Hell, she could probably have some fun with him as well. Also she couldn't allow him to leave just yet. It was too dangerous. Even if she hadn't told him the box's purpose it couldn't have been too hard to figure it out, and if he mentioned it to his Lady it would ruin her surprise. She couldn't have that now could she?

"My, my...aren't we nosey?" Calyse didn't seem to be the least bit bothered. If anything she amused, both her tone and the smile on her face reflecting it. Maybe it wouldn't have hurt to show it to him though. If she was right about him he might have been able to tell her whether or not Vethrys would have appreciated the gift she had bought.

"I suppose I can show it to you." With that said she brought her hand back around her body and held it up toward him. She didn't open it though, instead pulling it back to her body before he could take it from her. "Alright I'll make a deal with you. If you tell me what kind of things your mistress likes, you can have a peek. Sound fair enough?"

Anonymous

Aldrio's hand had come up to hover over the box when she'd held it out to him.  He left it suspended there, between them, and pursed his lips while he thought over what she'd said.  What kinds of things your mistress likes.  He had no idea what Calyse hoped for from Vethrys, apart from friendship, but that was always hard going.  

"I'd like it if you gave me a peek," he said at last, with just the barest hint of innuendo.  Peek, peak.  He moved his hand a little over the box she'd held out and let his face relax into thoughtfulness.

"My Lady likes  pretty things," he said, eyeing Altas Verde's heiress to make his point.  He wondered how she'd interpret that.  He also wondered exactly what she meant to gain from him.  Was the conversation an excuse for flirtation?  Did she want Vethrys's favor for some particular purpose?  She'd be hard-pressed to get it; Vethrys did like pretty things and pretty people, but Calyse might be clever and overbearing enough to annoy her.  

"Pretty things and weapons," he added, after giving the matter due consideration.  "I think she has enough of the latter, though, so what you've got should be perfect."   He looked back down at the box, then withdrew his hand and held it palm-up, waiting for her to make good on her promise and show him what she had inside.  He guessed it was some kind of ornament, a gift.  "May I see?  I'm impressed you guessed my curiosity, I was trying to be so polite about it."  Aldrio's smile was friendly and crinkled the corners of his eyes.

Xphy

Pretty things... Calyse couldn't help but cock her eyebrow a little when Aldrio spoke those words. It wasn't what he had said but how he had looked at her that caught her interest. Was he implying that the heiress to the Thandryon name was only into women? Well that could have been a problem for Fallial's Great House. If Vethrys had no interest in men then she probably didn't have an interest in bearing children as well, which meant if she did succeed her father her family could end up in a situation where they have no clear heir apparent.

Then again she supposed some men could be described as pretty as well... Perhaps he was speaking more generally than just females.

"You can learn a lot about someone if you watch them carefully enough," she replied, an amused smile gracing her lips for a second. "But I suppose I should honor our agreement," With that said she removed the lid from the box and held it out for him to take from her. Inside was a golden necklace that was clearly meant for a woman if the size of the links were any indication. However the centerpieces of the necklace were not the links, but a fairly large emerald finely cut into the shape of a unicorn horn and held in place by a thin golden spiral. "I trust this will be to your Lady's liking?"

Calyse really hoped the man would agree. Finding a jeweler capable of cutting the stone exactly the way she had wanted hadn't been an easy task, especially with the limited time she had had. Even with magic cutting a stone was a delicate process, but fortunately she had been lucky enough to find someone who was able to get the level of detail she wanted even with the time restraints.

"Of course, there are jewels more precious in Altas Verde if you know just where to have a peek." Her smile returned to her lips as she added these words. She hadn't missed his comment about her giving him a peek, and had decided to play with his words a little. He hadn't said exactly what he wanted her to give him a peek of now did he?