Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Almost Broken (Kiri)

Started by Anonymous, July 08, 2010, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

((Hey, thought I'd let you know that I changed Natalya's race to Duhjari. Which would practically be the same thing just SotE's equivalent.))

"I sure hope so, it was a harrowing experience to say the least." Natalya chuckled, she really did miss the warm drawn bathes at the Peach; they were so relaxing. There was nothing she had enjoyed more. It helped to draw out the pain from her bruises and forced her tense muscles to give in. While, on the other hand, the cold water had caused her to tense up and stress about getting out as fast as she could.

There was nothing like the freedom though. Nothing had been quite as wonderful as waking up and realizing she could do as she pleased.

"That's good to know," she said as she refilled her tragically empty bowl, "I never really favored this dress anyway. I might if it wasn't so revealing... or carrying so many unpleasant memories with it." New clothes, new life, adventure, she was really starting to get used to the idea. "Oh, and feel free to make me carry anything. I'd hate for you to do it all while I walk empty handed. Since you helped me I have to start pulling my weight!"

Natalya was still young, and - for the most part - healthy, there was no reason she shouldn't be sharing the work with Kalev. Even if he didn't think she needed to do anything, she would persist until he gave in.

The young Duhjari girl paused mid-bite. Nervous? Of course. She listened patiently as he hurried to defend his question. "I am nervous." Her smile was soft and pleasant as she spoke. "Honestly, I'm half thrilled at the idea and half terrified to death. You are right though, once you know you just know... but it helps to have someone by your side willing to see you through. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have know it was time to leave yet. I couldn't begin to imagine what it must have been like to go through this alone."

Anonymous

[ Gotcha! So she's a Duhjari and not a gypsy anymore, right? ]

The fortune-teller laughed good-naturedly – he was glad to see that she was so ready and willing to begin anew. It was refreshing, to take note of her resolve, for even though the journey wouldn't be easy, a positive attitude would help make their trek a little easier. Kalev had never traveled with anyone else before, his only companions being animals who might lurk along the winded pathways he took, but now, perhaps the road would not feel so lonely.

After finishing the last of his chamomile and peppermint tea, Kalev pulled a bucket of water he had sitting next to the fire, and washed his dishes out in the warm water. He laughed a little, smiling at her offer to help carry the supplies. "Are you sure?" he asked – about her resolve to share the work. "I won't work you to death, of course! But it will be nice, to have an extra pair of hands around."

He listened intently, as she related that she had no idea, what it must be like to go through this sort of thing alone. Kalev thought back – to the night after Lelena had ripped out his eyes, and how he knew he could no longer stay, even if his sister had disappeared soon after she had done her dirty deed. He had set out – first by boat, then by foot, drifting as far away from Yoreiq as he could possibly go, until his feet gave out under him, until he realized he needed to have a plan. "It can be easy to lose your way, when you're alone," Kalev spoke, remembering. But he shook his head and smiled. "But there's no need to worry. I'll be here for you, for every step of the way."

After all, he would've given anything, to have someone at his side when he was the most vulnerable.

Finally finished with his breakfast, he stood up slowly, assessing the campsite. Thankfully, there was not much for Kalev to pack up. His own bag had his spare change of robes, medical supplies, money, and what have you, while the pots and pans were easily rallied up and thrown in two other separate bags.

"When you're ready," Kalev began, placing one of the bags at her feet. "We can head out – to the depths of the Draconi Forest. It'll be a good place to gather our bearings, and figure out just where we want to go." Secretly, he had given her the lighter bag, not wanting to start her out with too much weight to carry on her back. Granted, it wasn't like Kalev was that much stronger or anything, given his fragile appearance, but he couldn't help but worry about her.

He looked back – where Adela lay, where she was fleeing from. "Is there anything you want to do, before we leave this place forever?" It was a damning word – forever – but there was also some solace in it, as if in speaking the word itself, there lay a solace for tomorrow.