Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All About Rain [Lion]

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2010, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

With most of the day gone, Evadne had finished her standard amount of work. Emerging from the barn, she stumbled over the hay fork she had carelessly thrown on the ground, and dropped the pile of buckets she was carrying. A muffled chuckle from behind captured her attention, and, holding on to the doorpost to avoid further accidents, Evadne looked back to see the hint of a grin on her father's face.

"Nice dad, laughing over other people's clumsiness. I'll remember that," she snapped at him, trying to keep her own amusement out of her voice. Arthur winked at her. "I'm going inside," he said while passing her in the door opening. Evadne mumbled her okay while starting to pick up the buckets. One by one, she set them in a circle with the open side up. It looked like it would rain tonight, and if the rain could fill the buckets it would save her from going up and down the well every time. After putting the hay fork in its place, Evadne checked if everything was cleaned up and then sprinted to the small, unused patch of land just north of the farm. It hadn't been raining for a couple of days, and the black soil was dry and crumbly. Evadne kicked off her boots and rolled up the thin linen pants she was wearing just above her calves. Then she dropped herself on the earth, digging both her hands and feet a couple of inches in the ground. That feels good. To Evadne, the feeling of the cool earth on her skin was an extension of her own body. It belonged to her and was part of her like her own beating heart. She pulled her feet up and carefully wiped some of the dirt away, her usually pale skin covered in an earthly tan, and softly she hummed a tune to herself. It was not something she could explain, and her father still thought she was mad, but she couldn't resist doing it. It made her feel safe, protected, strong.

Evadne closed her eyes and leaned backwards, with her hands firmly on the ground behind her, but just before she could let herself slip away in her thoughts, her moment of meditation was interrupted by a distant, yet loud and unstable noise. Evadne looked up and gazed around her.

What on earth?

Lion

"And then she said, 'Sir, but your spear is so huge!  It could take all night to polish!' Bahahahahahaha!"  The bolt of laughter came from Taladan's own mouth, as did the joke.  But he was too buzzed in the head to notice that no one else was around him.  He had his good friend with him, Elmari Sisters' Vintage, Bottle 315 and for now that was all that he needed.  He popped off the stopper and dunked a several gulps into his gullet before making a sour-face as he swallowed.  It wasn't that the wine was sour; in fact it was quite sweet but its potency made him remember why he'd never been keen on drinking like this before.  If he was going to get stupidly drunk, it was usually in the company of fellow, living, breathing, tavern-goers.  Those were the best of times.

But how this particular bottle had come into his possession, he couldn't remember. Maybe somebody didn't have any money to give him, or they thought they could bribe a song out of him.  Taladan didn't ponder too much on it before he took another sip, this time smaller.  It was a fine bottle and if he still had some sense about him, he wouldn't waste any more of it.  The beer and wine and good food all sloshed along in his belly and though wits would have told him to stay behind in the previous town and wait until his head cleared before traveling, he would have told wits to bite him.  

So the empty road that stretched out before him, pulled his heavy feet along and he stumbled all the while, almost literally being dragged.  The joke he'd muttered earlier went unresponded-to and he went on muttering to himself incoherently.  "So Taladan, let's have us a song shall we?  Yes!  But what of?"  He looked around, trying to find something in his environment which to put a tune to.  When he looked up and saw the dreary clouds ahead, he smiled stupidly and hiccupped, before taking another swig of the Elmari Vintage.

"Tell me, my darling,
Why are you miles away?
Stars have stopped sparkling,
And it has rained all day.

"I've walked the wide earth for you,
Through mountains and through greens.
I have gathered your flowers for you,
But you're nowhere to be seen.

Taladan's voice belted out and he closed his eyes as he got further into it.  His voice was an echo that was carried on the wind and traveled down the road and all around.  It was as if the air itself was singing, vibrating with melody and the words of his song.  He was too drunk to really know what he was singing, the Elmari wine had done the trick to make him believe that his feet were still touching dirt and stone.  Grass spread in his wake all the while he moved through it.  But he just kept on singing, through his head back and moving his arms in some kind of emotive pose.

"I've challenged the road
Time and again.
But with nothing to behold,
Time's at an end.

"Tell me, my darling,
Why are you miles away?
Stars have stopped sparkling
Since you've gone astray.

The words were like a drug, stringing him all the way and not even the roll of thunder could break last verse of his song.  

"The clouds are black
And will do much harm.
Life's not worth living
Sans you in my arms."

The liquor swirling in his stomach made him too impassioned and before he knew it there was a set of tears streaking down his face.  And when the song was over he sobbed slightly and sniffed loudly.  By now the rain was starting to pelt down from the sky, as if in an attempt to shut him up.  It did the trick and he didn't know he'd managed to get so far from the road during his song or really, how to find his way back.  Before he knew it, his face kissed the chalky ground and an explosion of pain coursed through his head as well as his body.  He groaned in a mild agony, trying to recognize where he was, but there was little he could do before his slumped down completely, passing out and the bottle of Elmari Sister's Vintage, Bottle 315, slipping out of his fingers.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Evadne burst through the kitchen door, slightly bewildered and rather confused. Arthur Gabor looked up with a frown on his face. He was used to see his daughter enthusiastic about things, but now she was taking it to a whole new level. Apparently she'd been running, cause she was panting, and her eyes were wide.

"Found another poor defenceless animal in the woods, love?" he asked before Evadne could utter a word, concentrating once more on the vegetables he was chopping. Evadne shook her head fiercely, though she amused herself with the similarities between the memory and reality for a moment.

"Dad, there's a body in the road," she said, still breathing rather heavily. "A dead one?" her father asked without looking up. Evadne heaved an annoyed sigh.

"I know I have a wild imagination daddy, but I'm actually serious this time. And no, he's not dead. I found him on our land, not on the road. And he's unconscious."

Her last words were silenced by a deafening roll of thunder. "He's what?" inquired Arthur calmly. "He's UNCONSCIOUS!" repeated Evadne, louder this time. Finally, her father looked up with a mildly interested look on his face. "Really? What happened to him?"

Nervously, Evadne shifted her weight from one leg to the other. "Dad, what matters now is that we get him inside! We can't very well leave him lying there in this kind of weather, can we?? He might get struck by lightning! And if he doesn't, he might die from the horrible cold he will get from being soaked and ice cold for hours."

"Alright, alright," mused Arthur, wiping his hands on a cloth before standing up. Evadne was already out of the house before he even started following. She was halfway down the grit road that meandered through the fields, looking back at him. "Come on!" she shouted through the thundering rain. The speck between the crops grew larger as she drew nearer, and she prayed to Mother Earth that his horrible alcoholic stench would have washed away by the rain. It certainly wouldn't give him her father's benefit of the doubt, what with his complete appearance and all.

She got back to the place where he had dropped on the ground, not ten feet away from her. Evadne's first instinct was to be disgusted -- she still was, but her conscience wouldn't let her leave the man rot outside. That was just inhuman. However, when she got to him again, the scent was still so strong that there was no point in trying to hide it. Loud splashes behind Evadne announced her father's arrival.

"This rain is good for the crops," he muttered, but his daughter pulled his arm. "Uhm, daddy? He might be slightly drunk." She pointed at the body, half his face covered in mud, sleeping with his mouth open, gurgling from the rain that streamed down in it most happily. Up and until that point, Arthur hadn't actually looked at the man, but now he was staring at him with a strong look of disapproval on his face.

"Eva, you don't actually expect me to drag that thing inside, right?" Evadne nodded forcefully. "Yes I do. This man is on our land, and if he dies here we will be responsible." She had saved the argument for when her father would say this, and though she saw the muscles in his jaws contracting, she knew it worked. "Grab his feet," Arthur ordered in a dark voice.

About fifteen minutes later, the drunk stranger had been stripped down to his undergarments to avoid mud in the bed (by Arthur, who was not very careful and left at least a dozen scratches on the man's skin). It was Eva's bed -- her father's way of punishing her for convincing him to bring the alcoholic inside. She would sleep on the couch tonight, and would have to wash her bedsheets tomorrow, only able to hope they wouldn't still stink of wine. With a frown on her forehead, Evadne left a pile of her father's clothes next to a washcloth and a big bowl filled with clear water. The man would not awake to a house full of happiness, that was certain. With a sigh, she left her own room to help her father make dinner.

Lion

Perhaps he'd been dreaming, yes he must have been.  While his mind and body were out for the count, there was some part of him that tried to recollect what had happened and how he'd gotten where he did.  There were five people...no, three...No.....two?  And there were voices that bickered back and forth.  One of them wanted him inside, the other didn't with strong disapproval.  Taladan didn't know exactly how long he'd been hanging around outside; it must have been hours for his head swelled and his whole body ached where he'd been bruised by his fall.

When he finally found the strength to open his eyes, his vision was blurry and he groaned slightly before taking notice that the surface beneath him was not cold, wet mud.  In fact it was a soft bed that held his weight.  He was a pretty heavy man and how someone, or someones, managed to move him was beyond his current train of thought.  He was too preoccupied with nursing his throbbing head and bleeding lip where his teeth had cut open upon impact.  "Geez," he whispered, trying to sit up.  The bed was wobbly and not all to his liking, but then, he didn't know where he was.  It certainly didn't have the look or smell of a tavern that was for sure.  Hours or even days could have crawled by for all he knew.  But a cool breeze took to his skin and he shivered, still moist from being in the rain for so long.  No clothes...no sword...no money...  Holy hell, he'd been robbed!

Taladan whirled his head in automatic circles, trying to figure out where his things were.  Not even his cloak was to be seen and his heart beat in a deathly panic.  He bolted out of bed onto unsteady legs, only to have his feet lose traction and slip, catching himself with the edge of the bed just in time to not make so much noise.  Dear gods, where was he?  Who'd found him?  And how was he going to get out?  This place was a prison wasn't it!  He would never get out of here alive!  And suddenly he felt something churl into his stomach, and his eyes were wild with paranoia.  The quick motion his body had perform on  floor had only made him nauseous and before he knew it he heaved whatever was in his stomach onto a pile on the ground.  He groaned again, hating the taste of vomit in his mouth.

He stood up, trying to steady himself by the bowl of water.  Cupping his free hand, he scooped some up and rinsed his mouth out and then wet his face, trying to get refreshed.  Taladan felt his body calm down now and he slumped down on the bed before realizing that anyone who'd found him, if they truly intended him to rot in a prison, would probably not have provided a means for him to clean up.  He smelled he realized and took time to wipe away the stench of wine the clung to him with the washcloth.  The clothes there were not his, unfortunately, but he slipped them on just the same.  The fit was well, though the fit seemed a bit tighter than he would have chosen.

There were noises of cooking outside the room, and when he thought he was ready, he opened the door, stepping through it as quietly as possible.  The rain outside the house, gave it a creepy atmosphere but he persisted nonetheless, steadying himself along the walls, trying to remain unseen all the while trying to catch a glimpse of whoever found him.   "H-hello?...  Who's there?"  He found his voice was groggy and it was almost as if his throat felt scraped.  He talked as if he were gargling something.  That, of course, could not be good for his career.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

The dissatisfied expression and the occasional angry mutters of her father's did nothing to improve Evadne's mood. She clenched her jaws together during the preparation of a dinner for three instead of two, and tried to block it all out, while she worked as fast as she could. When all that was left was to mix the ingredients together in a stew, she dropped her knife on the kitchen counter and mumbled something that resembled "have to go wash" just before she hurried out of the kitchen. She truly loved her father, but she knew what he was upset about. Of course, there was the drunk thing. But the true problem was, her father was mad that this man had somehow managed to ruin the routine of the day that had no routine.

Evadne stopped in front of her bedroom door and took a deep breath. She needed to calm down, otherwise she wouldn't be able to be quiet. As silently as possible, she opened the door and peeked inside. The man was still fast asleep. She tiptoed to the cupboard and found herself some clean clothes -- pants made of dark leather skins, and a long blue blouse that accentuated her figure. Quietly, she snuck out of the room again, deciding to change and wash herself in her father's room. When she re-entered the kitchen, it smelled of food and the charcoal of the logs in the fireplace. Her father was still musing grumpily to himself, staring into the fire as he stirred the contents of the pot.

"Will you give it a rest already!?" Evadne blurted. "Your being mad is not going to help any," she added slightly more respectful. Her father opened his mouth to discipline his daughter, but just then his eye caught something right behind her.

"Hello? Who's there?" sounded an unfamiliar voice from the door opening. Evadne spun round, her loose hair swinging around her face, to find a slightly better smelling drunk in the room.

"Well well," said Arthur, and Evadne cringed as his sarcasm cut through her skin. "I see you've returned to the land of the living."

He left no room for reply as he shoved the stool he'd been sitting on backwards with a forceful kick, leaving it wobbling in place for a while. With loud noises, he took three wooden plates from a cupboard and threw two of them on the counter, while keeping one in his hand.

"I'm afraid I have no stock of the wine -- was it Elmari? -- that you obviously love so much, but you are welcome to join us for dinner if you wish. Eva, fill a plate for our guest, will you?"

Evadne's eyes were blazing as she snatched the second plate from the counter.

Lion

It was a gruff reception, but one that he faintly figured would happen.  Nobody liked to find a stranger sleeping in their house, though he had an idea that the two people he found here in the kitchen.   The room smelled delicious, like the floor itself was soaked in food.  If he didn't know any better, he might have expected to want to eat off of it.  But as far as he could taste, Elmari was not a hallucinogen.  He'd taken those before as a sort of 'experimentation' and found he'd made love to a tree.  That was not a pleasant evening for him.  Luckily, he grew out of such old habits and set his shoulders back while he observed these new 'companions' of his.

But the way the older man reacted to him—the young woman's father perhaps?—he could tell that he was not the one who's bright idea was to bring Taladan inside the house.  He didn't say anything while the older man spoke or got up to get a set of diningware from the cabinets.  Taladan watched with wary, but negligent eyes.  He seemed like the fatherly type.  He could vaguely remember his own father acting the same way a few times.

But the young woman, she seemed much more amiable and rather lovely to boot.  It was most likely her idea to take the poor drunk bard in.  He would have to remember to thank her later for that.  When Taladan finally decided to mutter some words, he found his voice still continued to protest and the vibrations of sound scrimped and scraped against the tissue of his throat.  He cleared it several times before actually saying what he wanted.

"Yes.  I've returned, good sir.  I've got the most awful headache though...  That Elmari really packs a punch.  I should have been more careful with it.  I see you've made for me a rather lovely get-well reception.  So for that I thank you.  The food smells delicious."  Taladan smirked smartly at the older man, his dry voice filled with as much sarcasm as he could muster at the moment.  He watched the young woman while she filled the plate and he took a seat as if it were made of glass.  When the food was set before him, Taladan stared at it and then the hand that let go of the plate.  "Thank you, dear," he said respectfully.

The aroma wafted back in his face and when he smelled it, the scent made him nauseous all over again.  Oh dear, it wouldn't be very guestly of him if he vomited all over their dinner table.  He didn't tell them about the mess he'd made in the room back there but he figured he would once all this dinner business was over.  

"Ahem, excuse me, I think I should probably introduce myself before I partake in anymore of your very generous hospitalities...  My name's Taladan Ewing.  I'm a traveling bard, though you probably wouldn't tell from the state of my voice right now.  I normally don't sound so...grating.  And who might my 'rescuers' be?  And, if you don't mind, how exactly...did I end up here?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The captain had to remind himself of the fact that he was not in the army and that this was not one of his men, or otherwise he probably would have given the man a serious piece of his mind before having him whipped like a dog. The self-restraint took up more of his energy and concentration than there was room for words, and to Evadne's surprise he remained quiet. She herself was still trying to ignore that she had been called  "dear" by someone other than her father.

Evadne filled her own plate and placed it opposite her father's on the dinner table, next to where the man was sitting. An act of defiance towards her father, perhaps. After a glance at her father -- who was eating as if his life depended on it -- she walked back to the kitchen and got a couple of mugs and a big jug of water. Beer didn't seem to be a good idea right now. She was just filling the mugs as the stranger seemed to have found the appropriate time to announce his name.

"A pleasure, I'm sure, Mr Ewing," Evadne hurried to say before her father could get a word in between. She wasn't about to take the risk of him taking the opportunity to spoil any more of the atmosphere with the mood he was in. "My name is Evadne Gabor, and this is my father, Arthur. He's usually nicer than this," she added half whispered, though she knew Arthur could hear her very well. She saw him rolling his eyes and felt a muscle pull upwards at the corners of her mouth.

"The reason he is not, is because you passed out right in our fields, before my very eyes, and because I convinced him to bring you in. The weather, you see." Vaguely, she gestured at the sight through the windows, where bolts of lightning were dancing across the dark sky. Evadne lit a couple of candles to light up the room a little, and then she sat down herself, one leg beneath her on the chair, and one steady on the ground.

"I don't suppose he will expect you to get out tonight though," she said between two bites, still talking about her father. "I'm certain he will get nicer as you get soberer." She glanced at Taladan and gave him a quick smile, willing to give him a chance to be friendly. And sober.

Lion

He didn't really have much of an appetite, but far be it from him to refuse a meal in the house of his rescuers like some kind of ignorant cur.  He wasn't really sure he was going to be able to keep the meal down but as far as he was concerned, he'd rather not give an even worse first impression than the one he'd apparently pissed off this woman's father with.  If he was going to enjoy his stay here (which he planned on doing so no matter where he went), the young woman showed the best chance of providing that opportunity as far as he knew.

Taladan smiled graciously and reached for his utensil and taking a few bites himself.  He let the warmth of the meal swarm through his cold, clammy body and a shiver ran through him as a result.  One that he suppressed rather expertly.   He listened to the young woman, who introduced herself as Evadne and her father as Arthur Gabor.  Interesting, not that he'd heard of their names  before.  They'd seemed like a reclusive pair, the both of them, and it didn't surprise him that neither their faces nor names sparked any recollections.  He grinned and nodded a 'pleased to meet you' nod before taking another bite.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Gabor, for intruding on your property like I did.  I'm usually more careful about where I travel.  Trespassing isn't really something I do often.  Nor getting all that stinking drunk, except in the company of friends.  Again, I really do apologize."  He hoped that would at least smooth over some of the glass road he'd just tread upon with one Arthur Gabor.  Taladan ate gratefully again, humbly even, and voraciously.

He stopped in the middle of his meal, a little more than halfway complete, and reached for his mug, muttering a thank you and took a generous sip of water.  The sensation of new food and drink sinking down into his cold stomach made him feel more alert, even as his head spun around the room a little.  Sobering up...yes, that would be a bit of an issue wouldn't it?  Since it was apparent that Arthur didn't seem to enjoy Taladan's company as a recovering drunk, he hoped there was a faint chance that he could get to know the bard better.  Now that he thought about it, he ever traveled this way again, having a house to stop by at would be nice every now and again.  It surely would save him some tavern gold.

"That's good to know," he said at last.  "But I don't think leaving tonight is really an option.  That storm seems pretty bad.  Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice place you have here, and I don't want to be a burden longer than I have to, but I don't want to die by some stroke of lightning either."  Taladan laughed lightly and took another bite.  "This food is delicious," he said and looked at her father, looking for some sign of approval before switching his gaze to Evadne.

"Would you mind telling me what's in it Mr. Gabor?  Or am I still enduring a code of silence?" he joked lightly and took another swig of water.  "I'm sorry if I seem too presumptuous but maybe you'd like to tell me what kind of place you're running here.  A farm?  Orchard?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The apology was received with an inaudible, grumbled word, while Arthur kept his eyes down to his plate. But he started eating a bit more slowly, and Evadne the ice was slowly melting. Her father had a weak spot for honour, and people who admitted their mistakes. It would take a while before he would start being nice to the man, but there was a good chance the sarcasm would fade from his voice. With expert precision, Evadne knew that the next thing he would be doing was replying with short, mumbled answers, making as little eye contact with the stranger as possible, followed by an occasional hint of a smile, and much later, possibly a five minute conversation in which he would use short but intelligible, clear sentences. Most likely, he would keep his opinion on drinking to himself and talk about things nobody cared about. The weather would be a good place to start, in this case. Full length correspondences would be saved for a later time, but only if Arthur deemed the man trustworthy.

Evadne smiled inwardly and shook her head mildly. She knew her father so well that some people would call it unhealthy. Then again, he was rather predictable once you got to know him. The point was that Arthur only rarely allowed such intimacy. However, a night like this did provide for an occasion to see if she and her father would want to get to know him. Whichever way you looked at it, Taladan had a point in saying that leaving tonight was out of the question. And sending him out of the door now would piss off even Evadne's father, since she had been the one to convince him to bring Taladan into their home. The captain did not do pointless things. Kicking Taladan out the door would be in that particular category.

Evadne stole a glance first at her father, and then at Taladan, when he asked Arthur about the stew they had made -- but she had nothing to worry about. When her father looked up, he studied the now more clear-faced bard without hostility in his dark eyes.

"Meat loaf," he said eventually, and louder than Evadne had expected. "Beans and some potatoes. And a different mixture of herbs every time." That seemed to be the limit to his words for now, because the captain once again focused on his emptying plate.

"We grow crops," answered Evadne instead. "Crops, wheat and barley. And we hold a small amount of cattle." From beneath her eyelashes, she gazed at Taladan. Estimating him at about 30, he was not at all bad looking. Evadne had a strong antipathy against vain noble men (though not all vain men are noble, and not all noble men are vain), so this man lived up to her taste in a certain way. But she was still ignorant of what exactly was her taste. It was not as if she was out and about, screening for a husband, like all other girls from around her age. But he had a strong jawline, and she liked dark hair. And the beard added a spicy something to his image as a bard. It was in no way inappropriate.

When Evadne realised she might be staring a bit too long, she blinked and flashed a look at her dad. Thank goodness. At least he hadn't noticed. When it came to his daughter and men, he was as protective as any father could be.

"Tell me, Master Ewing," she started, hiding behind her well-fitting mask of sarcasm and feigned interest, while she started bringing the empty plates and mugs to the kitchen, "is drinking a part of your job as a bard, or does it come naturally to you?"

Lion

Taladan stared at the master of the house, knowing he wouldn't allow a question directed at him to go unanswered.  It was rude for a host to do so just as it would be to throw a guest out in the rain.  Taladan had never experienced the meanderings of high society social expectations, but he knew as much about good manners as the next person.  It never did to be coarse but kind, never be presumptuous if it wasn't one's place, and never do or say something that would be a waste of time.   He had participated in many a social gathering to know the ups and downs of what made a good host.  And stark silence and a cold shoulder were not such things.  And just when he thought Arthur was going to continue, the man broke the silence.

Taladan smiled, both as a good guest and of the knowledge that he'd pressed the right buttons.  He blinked green eyes at his meal and nodded in understanding.  "It's wonderful, truly.  This is the best thing I've tasted in weeks to be completely honest.  Just a few days ago, I traveled from a small town called Tangerberg.  The beer was good, but not so much the food.  I sustained myself with little more than stale bread and water when I left," he said to both of them, though mostly to Evadne, as she seemed to be only one willing to listen.  He smiled at her and then went back to his meal.  It wasn't that he didn't notice she was watching him; quite the contrary in fact.  It was just that it was best to act natural than to find himself staring back.

He ate slower now, a little more comfortable among strangers.  But then again he always felt comfortable.  This girl...well, woman would be more accurate for she was hardly decked like a girl.  They were children, where she was undeniably an adult.  She had standard Adelan features with the exception of her skin, which he found kind of strange.  Like she was part Serenian or something.    But it was not something to be avoided, instead he found it rather exotic.  He didn't see to many women with her kind of skin.  He did most of his gawking in his head, as he'd already taken a sufficient amount of time to look at her.  He grinned inwardly and ate without comment for a while.  That was until she asked her most unexpected question.

It was now that he stared at her through wide eyes and in the middle of his drink.  Placing the mug down with care as he considered his answer, he sighed and kept his congenial grin.  He detected her sarcasm and it made him laugh lightly.  "It's a little of both actually.  Me being a bard, the whole idea is to entertain people right?  Well, most of my work I find at town festivals and taverns.  There patrons are generous and if they don't pay me in gold, they tend to find other useful methods.  Sometimes they feel the need to buy me drinks and who am I to refuse their kindness.

"I don't make it a habit, really.  But it helps loosen inhibitions and coinpurses.  Though I'll tell you one thing, being a bard isn't as lucrative as it used to be.  There aren't many people willing to pay for a good song unless they feel up to it.  I don't suppose you have many bards com around these parts do you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Arthur had been grinning widely at his daughter's haughty question, but now both he and Evadne were staring at Taladan. Evadne blinked, completely caught off guard. The goal of her question had not only been to feel more like herself again, it was also to put this man in his place as a guest here -- a drunk and unwanted one at that. And though initially he did seem surprised to hear her words, now he was chatting on as if he was talking to some good old drinking buddies of his.

The silence after Taladan's inquiry seemed to cut through the air. Moments long, Evadne's lilac eyes locked with Taladan's green ones, as she tried to assess him. Usually, she was a very good judge of character, but his reactions were not what they ought to be.

"I couldn't tell you that. I don't associate with such people," she said sharply before abruptly turning around. In the process, she knocked the set of plates off the counter, so that they landed in a small wooden container with water meant to do the dishes with, and splashed large waves of water over the stone floor. Well done, Eva, she thought while she dropped on her knees next to the container. She might as well start on the dishes. It wasn't as if she could make the floor any wetter.

"She's clumsy like that," sounded Arthur's amused voice from the other side of the kitchen isle. "Regardless, it does seem you will have to stay here for the night. You can stay in Evadne's room, since she was so insistent upon bringing you here. It's the room you woke up in," he added while he stood up. "Evadne will be sleeping in here somewhere if you need anything. You'll be alright there, won't you dear?" Arthur directed himself to his daughter.

"Yeah, I'll be alright here," Evadne echoed.

"Master Ewing, have a good night," said Arthur, greatly surprising Evadne by making a small bow for the stranger. She stared at her father until he closed the hallway door behind him, knowing that if Taladan had said anything at all it would have completely passed her by. For some reason, he seemed to have done something right to obtain her father's good graces. But she had no idea whether to like this man herself, and it frustrated her to the core. Usually she could figure people out in five seconds -- their weaknesses, strengths, and this just by listening to the way they talked and paying attention to their body language. But Taladan was a walking prototype of the paradox. Or perhaps "stumbling" was a better choice of words, in his case. Stumbling, stupid folk singer, Evadne thought defiantly while she scrubbed the remains of the dinner off the wooden plates with a hard brush. She knew it wasn't her place to be mad at him. But it was easier to be mad at him than to be frustrated with herself for not knowing.

Lion

Taladan didn't see any reason why he shouldn't be friendly with these people?  He was never one of those people that was one way around one kind of group and then a completely different man with another group.  Hypocrisy wasn't very big on his list of things to do and if it was, he had quite a bit to reassess.  Instead he smiled and sipped the rest of his water while he waited for her answer.  But she seemed distraught and he felt her piercing gaze until she spoke.  He met her eyes readily and steadily and sat back almost negligently.

He was surprised by her answer but didn't react to it in his face.  "Oh," he said with an even tone.  "That's quite unfortunate.  Or not if you don't quite care.  I'm sorry, here."  He gave her the plate before she took them to the counter then made a big mess with the water.  Drats, she really wasn't agitated wasn't she?  He didn't mean for her be so suddenly uncomfortable if that was the case.  He didn't think his answer was all the much of a big deal for him, but apparently it was and something was obviously on her mind.  He was a silent sort of observer even when he wasn't actively making a ruckus.  But he'd done what he'd initially set out to do and that was to get on the good side of this woman's father.  He seemed humored by her actions and soon Taladan couldn't help but chuckle inwardly as well.

"I see," he replied after Arthur informed him that he room he wretched in was this woman's room...well, that wouldn't be very pleasant now was it.  He'd have to help to clean it up before he left.  "It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Gabor.  Have a good night," he said when the man decided to turn in for the evening.  Taladan stood from his seat and crossed his hands behind his back while he watched Arthur depart from the room, not saying anything to Evadne while she did the same.  He didn't think it would be very guestly to suggest the cleaning of vomit so soon to the master of the household.  The daughter seemed the like the best recipient to deliver that news to.

When he left, Taladan quietly approached Evadne and stood to the side while he watched her do the dishes.  "I don't suppose you want me to help you clean these.  But even so, I don't think it would hurt to help."  He quietly reached for the dry wash cloth that was beside the bucket and when one dish was clean, he pulled it up without caring for either any permission or protest and silently dried it up with the cloth.  He did so as if it were some kind of contemplative task, a meditation of sorts, then smiled at her.  "You seem angry.  Did I do something?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

From the corners of her eyes, Evadne had seen Taladan approaching her, and was already preparing to say something horridly unpleasant if he would have the guts to offer his help to her. However, he seemed to sense her intentions, and took out her entire defence mechanism by a few simple words. Evadne gazed up at him from the floor, feeling horribly small suddenly, and found herself tongue-tied by his voice. Quickly, she shut her mouth and concentrated on the plate in her hand. When it was clean, Taladan reached down and took it from her, both his grip and the look in his eyes ensuring that it was no use to protest. Most uncharacteristically, Evadne found herself letting to of the plate. For a moment, she just sat there with her hands in the water, staring at Taladan's reflection in the surface of the water.

When he spoke again, he was friendly in a way that no one was friendly to her. Her father approached things either from the strict and disciplined side, or otherwise through sarcasm or by simply ignoring the possibility of being friendly. And then there was the nature of his words. Nobody ever seemed eager to notice when someone was feeling bad. Most chose to ignore it. Others unwillingly asked if something was wrong, and from their tone alone one could know that all they wanted to hear was "no", that everything was fine. Even if it wasn't. It was perhaps a small thing to others, but Evadne couldn't help noticing such things. She looked up at Taladan, and actually looked at him this time, instead of staring. Then she shrugged.

"I'm sorry," she sighed, aware of the fact that somehow the man had lowered her usually sky-high defences. She handed him the last clean dish. "I guess I am just not myself tonight."

Evadne dried the floor with a towel and threw it in the tub when she was done. She would throw the water in the yard when it wasn't raining anymore. She grinned inwardly. On the bright side: there was no doubt that the watering buckets for the cattle would be filled to the rim.

Lion

Absently the cloth went over the wooden plates.  They were scraped and scratched from constantly being scrubbed from the brush as well as with the use of utensils.  There was a story to be told in each plate, even if no one else saw it but him.  Taladan saw each plate and fork and knife that was in the tub and dried each one as if it were a child, with care and thoughtfulness.  The towel was soaked through and through when the final dish was finally dried and put away.  He just kept on stretching his face in his congenial grin then set the wash towel down, neatly folded on the counter.

Her answer was delivered soon enough.  "Don't be sorry.  Nothing to be sorry about.  I just thought that maybe it was something I caused.  Because if so I didn't mean it that's for sure."  He leaned back against the counter for a moment then looked at the tub.  "Say, you know what.  Perhaps we could use the rest of this water and what was in the bowl in your room to clean up a little mess I made in there when I woke up.  A horrid present courtesy of the Elmari wine, I'm afraid."  Taladan frowned but got up and brought the dishrag as well and headed off toward the room.

He looked up at her and tossed his head.  "I wouldn't want to leave that unpleasant mess in your room when I finally leave."  After a moment, he cocked his head to one side and peered up at her through his lashes.  "Why would you say you weren't yourself?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

While Evadne listened to Taladan's voice -- which was oddly calming to her -- she convinced herself to relax. Slowly, she exhaled and spent a moment with every single one of her muscles, to release the tension. She even managed to return his engaging grin, be it poorly, although it vanished as quickly as it came when Taladan mentioned the result of his alcohol consumption.

"I shouldn't be surprised," Evadne muttered under her breath, surprised at her own resignation. At least he doesn't leave it for me to clean up after he moves out tomorrow, she thought while she took two more towels from a shelf. One was never going to be enough. She navigated around Taladan so she could be the first to enter her room -- it was still her room, after all -- but backed out again when the stench hit her in the face.

"That is disgusting!" she gasped, not realising she had bumped in to Taladan backwards and was probably spilling more water over the floor. Quickly, she unfolded one of the towels and threw it over the pool. Then she moved to the window and opened the shutters even though it was still raining cats and dogs. Deeply, she inhaled the fresh air, and decided this window was not going to be shut until the stink was entirely gone. Only then she realised Taladan had asked her a question. She didn't look at him while she answered, but instead watched how the towel sucked up all of the yellowish liquid.

"I just can't figure you out, that's all," Evadne tried to downplay it. "You confuse me. Or something." She picked up the soaked cloth at a still dry corner, holding it between thumb and index finger before she dropped it in the wash bowl. The rain could wash it clean later; now she was only concerned with cleaning up the mess in the room.

"Are you always like this?" she asked quietly. Evadne gestured for him to come in with the water, but still avoided looking at him directly.

Lion

Physical labor, back breaking work, working until every muscle in one's body was sore to the core.  This was something Taladan was familiar with and certainly not afraid of.  Not that he enjoyed it, but such work were things that needed to be done and he wouldn't be one to shy away from simple tasks and chores that required a little labor and effort.  He'd grown up knowing such things, helping his father with his carpentry business, keeping quiet while he discussed business deals, and learned to cart large logs here and there.  Indeed it was backbreaking work, and one he learned to perform without complaint but also a type of lifestyle that Taladan declared for himself that he would never devote his life to.  If it was another's desire, so be it.  But he preferred his life on the road in comparison to such stagnancy.

He did not expect her to walk into the room with a smile and sniffing the air ravenously.  He held his breath while he went in behind her and jerked back when she bumped into him.  "Yes," he said.  "It is rather foul, isn't it.  I'm very sorry, but it happened before I could stop it...  But at least I'm helping you and not just expecting you to clean on your own."  Little did he know that he voiced her own thoughts, but he went in anyway and watched her get to work while he waited for the order to pour the water over it.

"Huh?  Is that so?  I've never thought of myself as much of a mystery.  Rather the opposite really."  He laughed, though it was a jest that only he would truly get.  He tossed the water on the mess which quickly started to dissipate and flow around in a swirling, yellow mess.  It was horrible to behold and though it wasn't that big, it was still quite potent.

"What do you mean am I always like this?  A drunk, you mean?  No, no.  I only really drink to relax and to have a good time like you said before.  Do I always make messes like these?  Nope.  Am I always so helpful for others?  Yes, if it's a kind thing to do and seeing as there is nothing else, I might as well.  It doesn't hurt nor harm a household, I always say."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Evadne smiled genuinely for the first time. She hadn't been referring to the drinking, but more to the "I have not a care in the world" attitude. And the way that every insult just seemed to miss its goal somehow. Evadne gently pulled the dishrag out of Taladan's hand, taking care not to make any skin contact, and then kneeled next to the small pool and let the horrid mixture be soaked up again by a cloth. When almost all of it was gone, she took the remaining clean cloth and wiped away what was left on the floor. She didn't expect Taladan to do that, since he had already shown his good will, and besides that she was starting to feel slightly guilty about throwing those insults his way. They had turned out to be pointless.

However, she didn't respond to what he said. She wasn't about to show him the back of her tongue (OOC: I hope this does indeed translates correctly >.<) so soon. Usually, she didn't open up to anyone until months had passed. A trait she inherited from her father, but then again, he too seemed strangely at ease when it came to Taladan. Evadne shook her head lightly. Maybe she wasn't supposed to understand this. Give him a chance, Eva, she told herself. She tended to dislike people until they proved otherwise, but this time she decided to turn it around.

When the last of the yellow goo had disappeared, Evadne stood up and threw the last cloth in the washbowl with the other two. "I'll just take these outside," she said while she slipped past Taladan. She could have easily emptied the bowl through the window, but the truth was that she wanted to be outside for a moment. She didn't bother to put on a coat, simply stepping outside in the rain. When she closed the door behind her, she inhaled deeply, her hair whipping against her face and the rain falling down on her. Not at all in a hurry, she strolled over to behind the house and emptied the bowl there, leaving it outside in the rain with the cloths still in it. They wouldn't be going anywhere.

When she stepped back in the house ten minutes later, soaking wet, Evadne felt more like herself again. There was a quiet smile on her face when she wrenched the water out of her hair and kicked out her boots. She didn't spot Taladan instantly, so she just hoped he wouldn't be undressing when she would go to get some dry clothes and a blanket from her room.

Lion

Taldan was a simple man, never doing or saying more than he felt he had to.  Sometimes it was a lot that he felt that he had to say.  And when the words started rolling from off his tongue, they didn't stop for anything.  But the rule stuck that he never used more words than he needed to.  At times, such a rule slipped and he accidentally said something that offended another, said to little that he didn't even answer what was asked.  The ups and downs of social mannerisms were still be mastered by the bard, whose social agenda was little more than just being nice to people.  To everyone, really.  He didn't see any reason in the world to be anything but.

Cleaning up vomit was not what he would consider one of the simple pleasures of life, but if he got to do things with other people, he surely wouldn't skip over the chance.  New friends and acquaintances were always welcome in his life.  Even if they did take a little time to work over.  There was, first the challenge of her father, then the woman of the house.  Just one obstacle after another and so on.  But Taladan never stepped down from a challenge if he could help it.  Not that he was some kind of super competitive bastard, but if he had mettle to prove, so be it.

Soon the vomit was all cleaned up and Taladan was left just grinning after her like some kind of fool.  But that was how he always looked and it disappeared when she did, closing the door behind her.  With nothing more to do, he looked around the room, only now remembering that he didn't know the exact location of his clothes.  He didn't care to know if they were washed or not, but he certainly was interested in their exact location.  He certainly didn't think it would be very nice to wrinkle the clothes he had borrowed by sleeping in them.  And there was no sleepwear to be seen all about the room.  Well, there was really only one solution to this late night dilemma.

He slipped out of everything, with some difficulty but not much, and set them nicely where they w ere first found when he had awaken.  He wasn't aware that Evadne had left to stand in the rain and would soon be returning to obtain some dry clothes of her own.  For all he knew, she was already out in the kitchen area sleeping.  So it was easy to understand how surprised he was to hear the door open behind him when he was already stark naked.  "Holy crap!"  He jumped around, and immediately he sat on the bed and crossed his legs, effectively trying to cover what he was sure she didn't want to just yet see.  "Err...good evening...." he said, trying to remain calm.  "Um, did you need something?"  He smiled normally, as if this was just another everyday thing.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The moment Evadne opened the door, a red hot blush rose up to her cheeks and instantly she turned around, seeking support with the door frame and covering her eyes with her free hand. "I'm sorry!" she cried out. "I didn't mean to... I mean, I wanted to... oh brother." Evadne took a deep breath, listening to the waterdrops seeping out of her clothes and falling apart on the ground while she tried to forget what she saw. "I just needed some uh... dry... stuff." Shielding her vision from Taladan with one hand, she quickly went to the cupboard and pulled out random stuff without knowing what she was doing.

Still with her back to the room, including Taladan, she closed her eyes for a moment and breathed again. "I'm sorry, I should have knocked," she said while she focused on the clothes and put back the ones she didn't need.

Lion

It was a relief to find she was a surprised to find him as he was, though he had to say her being all flustered was really amusing and he had to bite back his tongue just to keep from laughing out loud.  Chances were her father was already asleep and it wouldn't do to wake the man that allowed him to stay there.  Taladan kept his mouth shut, sucking his lips into his teeth and then abruptly reaching for those clothes again when she was turned around.  It didn't take long to slip his legs back into them though they were a little stiff now.

Throwing the shirt over his head, he quickly got up and strode over to her.  "Hey, hey, hey.  Take it easy.  Things like this happen.  Just forget it, okay."  He pat her shoulders  and kept his distance despite being all wet.  "You know what, why don't I just wait outside while you use the room.  It is yours after all.  Okay.  Just take it easy."

He strode out of the room and closed the door behind him and sighing with relief when that was all over.  Taking a seat at the table, he waited for her to get out, all the while laughing silently at the humor of the situation.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn