Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Conspiracy [Quills]

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2010, 11:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Sunday was not a day like all others. Sunday was a day without routine, a day without a structured layout, without knowing what to do. Sitting at the kitchen table, Arthur Gabor stared through the window and into the courtyard, where his twenty years old, single daughter was walking around with her horse to cool him off after the ride she took with him. With a deep thinking crease in his forehead, Arthur wondered how she could be flexible like that. Just do whatever entered her mind, give in to any urge she had. His only urge was to follow a plan. It was weird though; in his days of glory, in the military -- way back when -- it came so natural to him to adjust to all and any situations that life sent his way. When a battle didn't go as expected, he had a Plan B, C and D in his head almost instantly. Arthur shook his head and rubbed a hand over his face. It was as if he had been made to fit in the army, in a military life full of plans and strategies to hold on to. Here, close to the mountains, where nature lived its wild and uncontrolled life, he found it harder to live his than anywhere.

In the mean time, Evadne figured her horse Romeo had walked around enough by now, and took him to the stables. She caught a glimpse of her father through the window, sitting at the kitchen table, staring at the mug of tea between his hands. She sighed. Sometimes she was sure it had to be hard to be Arthur Gabor. She had the highest respect for her father, but he made life too difficult.

Evadne led Romeo over the grit to the barn. The farm was situated against the foot of the Thunderblacks, the small white house and the big barn positioned right next to each other. Evadne adored the farm with the white limestone walls and the small glass windows. The roof was covered in cane, and in winter smoke would permanently rise from the chimney. The ground around both the house and the barn was covered in grit, while beyond that their fields started. There were some pens for the animals, but the rest was used to grow crops, wheat and barley.

With a loving hand, Evadne washed and fed her horse. The animal had carried her on his back for over five hours; it deserved proper care. With a last kiss on his nose (which was already soaking wet from sipping up the water from a bucket), she left the barn and pushed down the beam that kept the double doors shut. The day was growing old, and in the distance the sky was already darkening. Evadne walked up to the house, already decided on taking a long bath before making dinner. Just before she opened the front door, a dark silhouette in the distance caught her attention. The forest around their farm had been cut down a decade ago, and the forest didn't start for miles. This allowed them to see down the road for quite some distance. Evadne tilted her head and leaned against the white walls to see if the figure was headed for her home. Not many people passed through here, since the Terrin Mountains were generally shunned. It seemed unlikely that a person would be crossing them alone.

Anonymous

Squinting down at the tattered paper in her hand, Tayr sighed before sliding it back into her pocket. All the rough map told her was that the farm lay just between the forest and the mountains which was where she was, on a road no less, so she didn't really need it any more. Just as well, since it wasn't like she could see it right now anyway. The light was fading rapidly from the sky, and it was looking like she'd have to stop soon. Annoying, considering how close she probably was. She'd already used up almost all her leave for the year trying to find this man, and there'd been an increasing sense of urgency as she searched.

No. She had to see him tonight. It was unclear how much danger they were in, if they were indeed in any at all. She'd not been attacked on the way, but she had almost been in a couple of nasty accidents that she wasn't completely willing to write off as random chance, not given what she knew. Also in her pocket was another scruffy piece of parchment, bearing a list of names. She remembered every one of them, and they all had two things in common: she'd fought alongside them, and they were dead. But they hadn't died in battle like soldiers should, nor had they succumbed to disease. Every one of them had gone down in some bizarre coincidence, some trick of nature. Oh, they didn't look like murder, not individually, but all together like that, with all of them there...

Except two names were missing. Her and her captain from many years ago, the only remaining members of that squad. The first had just been some sad news told to her by an old friend, the second was a strange rumour, and after that they began to fall like rain and she knew she had to warn him. So she walked on, sturdy boots crunching on the road and glaive held proudly against her shoulder. She'd march all night if she had to, but fate was kind and soon the long grass gave way to golden wheat and she knew she was almost there. A barn followed not too long after, with a little house beside it, and she halted suddenly a hundred or so yards away. Her eyes had never been the best, but she could still make out what looked like a person by the door. Although the quiet around the house was peaceful rather than the sort that bore a nasty surprise, it was still worth taking care. "'Ello?" she called, her loud, clear voice ringing through the evening air. "Gabor?"

She shook her head slightly. He may not have been an officer any more, but he still deserved, and had, her respect. "Sir?"

Anonymous

Huh. It was a woman. As she got closer, Evadne got a better look at her. She squinted her eyes, analysing the woman's olive green hair and strongly built frame. That looked like no ordinary woman at all. And soon, she proved to be right, because she loudly called for "Gabor". No ordinary woman would call for a "Gabor".

Evadne emerged from the shadow of the house and walked up to the woman. Slightly suspicious, she cocked her head. "My name is Gabor," she said. "Evadne Gabor. But I don't suppose you are looking for me, because I've never seen you before."

She paused a second, recapitulating on if she had any reasons to distrust this woman. When she came to the conclusion that she didn't, she figured she had to be more open to people. Not every lone woman asking for her or her father was a threat to their existence.

"Do you happen to be looking for Arthur Gabor? He's my father. I can take you to him if you like."

Anonymous

The figure moved into view, and it was apparent that there was indeed no threat. An unarmed girl stood there, which was slightly confusing until she spoke. Tayr hadn't anticipated this at all, although it did explain a few things – like why he disappeared so suddenly. And it was believable enough; from what she remembered of the man, Evadne looked about as much like her father as could be expected.

"Aye, I'm here to see Arthur," she replied with a nod, not feeling quite right calling him by his first name. "Family man now, is he?" That would make things difficult. When it was just the two of them it was fine, but now that she knew there was also a child involved she felt worse about it. Well, all right, maybe the girl wasn't that young – more of an adult, really – but she was still the captain's daughter. Tayr just hoped she hadn't put her in danger by coming here. Then again, if there was something after them, it would have found this place eventually. This was the right choice, then... Wasn't it?

Anonymous

Evadne shrugged casually. "Not exactly. I'm the only other family member, so there's not much of a family to be part of. Follow me, I'll take you to my father."

She turned on her heels and walked back up to the front door. It was hardly ever locked, and as always, she needed only to firmly push against it to make it open. "Dad?" she called out, navigating to the kitchen where she expected him still to be.

She was right -- Arthur hadn't budged. He had studied his daughter's every move outside, just because he didn't know what else to do. Evadne always made dinner by herself on Sunday, something she had insisted on. It didn't make life for him any easier. Not making dinner was one thing less for the routine. But he knew that she did it in an attempt to make him more flexible.

"In the kitchen," Arthur called back in reply. Quickly, he grabbed a cloth and stood up, wiping it over the dinner table to convince Evadne he had been cleaning and -- more importantly -- not sticking to his routine. The girl smiled mildly when she came in. She wasn't easily fooled by her father.

"There's someone here to see you. Please come in, Mrs...?"

Anonymous

"More'n some have, lass," Tayr murmured softly as she followed the girl into the house. It and the family might have been small, but she'd better describe it as cosy. There was warmth here, and as they passed through it reminded her somewhat of her own childhood home. Evadne was lucky to grow up here in this little piece of tranquillity, and now she had to come along with her news of danger, and ruin it all. But no matter how guilty she felt, it had to be done.

Awkwardly taking up most of the doorway, she gave an instinctive salute. It was odd to see him again after so long. Though he was greying and unarmoured and stood in his perfectly ordinary kitchen like any other mortal rather than the legend he was, he still had the air of a warrior about him – or at least it seemed that way to her. "Recruit Cabhadden, sir!" Her hand lowered and she thoughtfully rubbed her chin as she amended her reply. "Well, Sergeant now, or just Tayr, I s'pose. Been a while."

It felt wrong to be so casual with a former superior officer, and she remained standing to attention for a moment at the entrance to the room. However, the formality felt just as strange considering that they were technically civilians. No sense in worrying too much about protocol now, though. She glanced between the two of them and asked, "Wouldn't be disrespectful for me to have a seat, would it?"

Anonymous

It was hard to tell what the former captain was thinking. Evadne eyed him with a frown on her face, her head slightly tilted to the left. Confusion was not something she saw a lot in her father, not even when his routines got messed up. Then he just got pissed off and frustrated. "Uhm... dad..?" she tried, but immediately shut her mouth when Arthur shoved his chair backwards abruptly and walked up to -- what was her name again? -- Tayr as if in a dream. What Evadne couldn't know, is that Arthur had instantly recognised the woman, but was completely blown away by her maturity in comparison to the girl he had under his command twenty years ago. A wide grin suddenly settled in his face, and he grabbed Tayr's hand.

"Well, Tayr! I hadn't thought I would ever see you again, or anyone from the old days, for that matter! You are most welcome here! And I suppose you can call me Arthur now. But what on earth brings you to my farm? And, this is my daughter, Evadne. But I guess you already met."

The daughter in question was staring at her father, completely baffled. She had never seen him behave like this, and those particular sparkles in his eyes were something he showed only to her.

"Yeah... hi," she said dryly when she had overcome the shock.

Anonymous

Tayr returned Arthur's handshake with her own firm grip, and found herself grinning along with him too, albeit with a hint of nerves. She hadn't been sure how he'd react, if he'd even want to see her, after putting himself practically in hiding for the last twenty years... But he was so happy, and it was almost infectious. It just made it harder for her to tell him what she came here to say. "Aye, I met Evadne. A fine, strong girl she seems," she nodded towards the woman, stalling a little before she'd have to give her news. "Wouldn't expect any less, o' course."

She paused a moment and looked to the floor with a sigh, her face stony when she raised it again. The dread that rose in her stomach upon seeing Evadne became heavier with every friendly moment, and would only grow until she shared it. With a shake of her head, she got it over with. "'Fraid I'm not a happy visitor, sir. You... Mightn't want the lass to hear?"

What good it would do to shield her now Tayr didn't know. She'd have to be involved eventually and it was probably best for her to know, that she might be prepared for what was to come. Still, she was Arthur's daughter, and it was up to him. If her peace could continue just a little longer, then Tayr would gladly let it.

Anonymous

Arthur felt his heart swell with pride when Tayr commented on his daughter. All these years he had raised her by himself, all these years he had no one to tell him if he was a good father or not, but this confirmation from Tayr was spot on. "I would say so myself," he beamed. Suddenly he felt more alive than he had in years, and the days of glory came rushing back into his mind. He was young again, and powerful, focused, with a solution for everything. Not the crippled old man he was now -- crippled, by his overwhelming need for a plan, a routine, a relic from his good days, when there was always a plan, and he was the one to make it.

But then Tayr announced that she did not come with good news, and a veil of fog fell over the face of Arthur's memories. "Evadne? Well, I suppose she can stay... I have no secrets for her. What is this about?" He let go of Tayr's hand, studying the face of his old recruit, trying to figure out what she had to tell her superior. For a moment, he almost fell back into old habits, wanting to demand that she tell her captain what was on her mind that very instant, but he remembered just in time that they were here as civilians.

"Please have a seat," he heard Evadne say to Tayr. "Can I get you anything to drink?"

Anonymous

"Oh... Just water, love, thanks," nodded Tayr with a gentle smile towards the girl. She'd really have preferred something a little stronger, given what she was about to say, but if anything happened tonight she'd need all of her wits about her. Alcohol was out of the question. Sighing, she leaned her glaive against the wall and took a seat at the table.

"You may want to sit too, sir," she advised, resting her head in her hands for just a moment. No, no more stalling. She had to get this over with. Just put it in the open, and hope for... Well, what? She wasn't crazy, she knew. She was always the sensible one. But maybe, just maybe, there was another explanation. "It's Burley," she said at last. "He's dead, sir, three weeks ago. And not just him. Tyrran, too, and Nuir... All of 'em, sir."

She laid the parchment out on the table, smoothing it with the edge of her hand. Though the ink was smudged, she had the neat, deliberate script of someone who only wrote things worth writing, and the list was horribly legible. Names, all but two crossed out and with a sentence or two beside them, and a date. "All the old squad, 'cept us, in nigh on two months. You know me, sir, not one for nonsense..." She looked up at the man, an uncharacteristic expression of worry on her face. "But 'tain't right, is it?"

Anonymous

At first, Arthur thought it was some kind of joke. It had to be. Why would Tayr come to tell him that a man he knew twenty years ago was dead? That wasn't very interesting at all. Sure, he'd stop and think about it for a moment, but it wouldn't be on his mind for long. Slowly, Arthur sat down and watched his daughter put a wooden mug filled with clear water in front of Tayr.

"ALL of them?" he repeated with a frown, slowly starting to understand the seriousness of the situation. He watched as Tayr pulled out a piece of parchment and spread it out on the table, wiping away the wrinkles in it. The first few moments he stared at the letters he saw nothing, but eventually he started seeing stripes. Horizontal stripes, with letters beneath them. Letters that formed names, familiar ones, and faces started to appear before Arthur's eyes.

"It isn't right at all..." he said quietly, studying the list. He looked at it for a couple of more seconds, processing everything quickly. The coherence was too great to be coincidence. There had to be some plan behind this, someone or more than one person that was up to something. And though he had not enough information to know who or why, he realised that Tayr had come with a warning, and that both he and Evadne were in danger.

"Evadne, will you please lock the barn and the doors of the house? I believe extra precautions are necessary." Evadne didn't completely understand what was going on, but her father was being flexible. On a Sunday! She hopped from the kitchen counter, where she had been sitting on, and disappeared through the hallway door on her way to the barn. Arthur returned his gaze to Tayr and laid a hand on her shoulder. "Thank you for coming here. Without you I would have been oblivious to all of this. But of course it is nice to see you again, too, Sergeant." He sent her an extremely rare wink.

Anonymous

Tayr nodded her thanks to Evadne when the water was brought, and drank deeply as Arthur confirmed her suspicions. Travelling in the summer sun was thirsty work, and even more so since she'd lost most of her kit in a mysterious tent fire a week before. She'd not even left anything burning... She smiled tersely and patted the man's hand on her shoulder. "Truth be told, sir, I weren't sure I should come. But if I could find yer, so could they, so... Glad to know you been well."

"I reckon I were followed," she informed him suddenly, turning to look at the door. "Shouldn't let her alone like that." Arthur would likely have trained the girl, and well, but she doubted she'd been in any kind of real fight. While sparring was good practice, it was no preparation for facing an enemy that wanted to kill you, and whatever this was had easily taken down hardened soldiers with decades of battle experience. Evadne alone had no chance. Reluctantly, Tayr stood and took her weapon from its resting place. With a respectful nod back to Arthur, she too left the kitchen, trailing behind the girl.

Outside, a dark shape lurked and watched the buildings, almost completely obscured from view by tall stalks of golden wheat. It knew the woman was here, as it had tracked her for days, but it still needed to confirm its other target. It shifted slightly in excitement when a new figure emerged, but didn't show itself. This one was too small, and smelled both too young and too female. It was all right, though. It could wait. If Arthur Gabor was here, he would show himself in time, and only then would it act. After all, nobody should die if they didn't deserve it.

Anonymous

Pondering, Arthur watched Tayr backtrack her way through the kitchen and to where his daughter was. For a moment, he feared that Tayr herself might be the killer, but one moment with her honest eyes made him set the idea aside. Ridiculous, he thought, angry with himself. Then again, as a father it was his obligation to consider all possibilities, even the ones he thought most unlikely. It was his job to keep his daughter safe.

With a frown, Evadne checked the last of the stables and confirmed all was safe. At least in the barn. She still had no proper idea of what was going on, but she understood that it was serious to the extent of dangerous. She locked the double doors by lifting a heavy beam on three hooks, and winding a chain around it. Her father never much fancied the idea of locking the animals in -- if there were a fire or anything, they could never escape by themselves -- and the order to do so nonetheless was enough of a warning to Evadne. From the shed, she retrieved her quiver with a set of strong arrows, and her handmade bow. She would take those inside for now. She could practice later, if her father allowed it.

When she came out of the shed and locked the door behind her, her eye fell on a figure that emerged from the house. It was Tayr. Evadne smiled uncertainly when she approached her, and gestured at the weapons in her hand. "I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to take these inside," she said. "Would you care to tell me what exactly is going on?"

Anonymous

Stepping cautiously through the front door, Tayr looked around to try and spot Evadne. The barn was already barred and chained shut, which was good. The girl was a quick worker. As soon as she'd left the house, so too did the younger woman come out of a small shed, holding a bow and some arrows. Tayr allowed herself a satisfied half-smile upon seeing such a display of sense, something that far too many people seemed to be lacking these days. Asked what was happening, she looked confused for a second and then let out a short, throaty chuckle. "Don't rightly know m'self, love. I am sure there's summat out there wants to kill us," she said with a nod towards the fields, "So keep that bow close and yer wits about you."

As she spoke, she took a cursory scan of their surroundings, straining to see if there was any suspicious movement. It wasn't like she'd really be able to see far enough in broad daylight to make much out, let alone at dusk, but it calmed her a little to check. The fact that she didn't see anything didn't necessarily mean they were safe, and in such circumstances may have in fact meant the opposite. However, they couldn't fight what they couldn't see, so it was better to wait. She sighed quietly and turned back to the girl. "C'mon, let's get back inside. See what yer father thinks."

She went into the house again, making sure that Evadne was close behind. If anything happened, Tayr wasn't sure how much time she'd have to make sure it didn't end badly for them, so she didn't want to stray too far. Inside, though, they were probably about as safe as they were going to be, and it was all right to return to her seat in the kitchen, where she folded her arms and tipped her head back to stare at the ceiling. What they needed now was a plan. She never did get the hang of those.

Anonymous

Seeing Tayr check their surroundings, Evadne did the same thing, squinting here eyes at the mountain wall and the open country on the other side. Everything seemed clean, though this could be misleading. Glancing at Tayr sideways, Evadne studied the woman. She seemed kind enough, even though her military background, and for some reason she could see her father prosper and open himself up in just those few minutes he had been reunited with her. It didn't make sense to Evadne, but since it all belonged to her father's past, she could easily let it go. She knew hardly anything about that, apart from the fact that he was some sort of war hero.

Together, they went back in the house, and for the first time in ages Evadne locked the front door. She had to search for the key first, completely oblivious as to where it was left at when they last used it. Her father stood in the kitchen rubbing his hands together, waiting for their return. He had made a fire in the hearth as they were outside, and now a comfortable warmth filled the combined kitchen/living room.

"Right," he said with a determined look on his face. "Obviously there's no way we are going to let these people get to us. From now on, no one goes outside without weapons or by himself. Or... herself. That means you too, Eva." He sent his daughter a stern look, and Evadne scowled. "Of course you are most welcome to stay here for as long as necessary, Tayr. Unfortunately we have only two beds in this house, but if you don't mind you can share with Evadne. Her bed is big enough for two."

Arthur pondered for a moment. "And we should probably explore the surroundings every morning and evening. That will be the first thing we do from now on. I see no point in waiting until they come to us." Evadne nodded in agreement, though still disappointed about not being allowed to go out by herself. That would drive her crazy in no time, she knew. And she didn't mind sharing with Tayr, as long as the woman didn't snore horribly.

Anonymous

"Well if she don't mind, then I'll not turn down your hospitality," accepted Tayr. She knew she was a little large for comfortable sharing even in a bed for two, but she was just getting to the age where sleeping on the floor disagreed with her joints enough that she'd gladly take whatever else was available. The three of them would need to be as well-rested as they could afford.

She smiled slightly when Arthur announced his plan. That was what the man had been known for, and although the years may have dulled his strategic mind, he could likely still out-think an entire team of lesser men. He wouldn't steer them wrong. His current idea, rudimentary though it was, was better than anything she had. "Tonight, then?" she asked, frowning thoughtfully. "Or is nightfall too close? We can't know what skills they might has. Some o' those..." She looked down for a moment, then nodded towards the parchment on the table. "Some o' those deaths, I'm thinkin' they at least got magic."

During the day, the three of them had some advantage in that Arthur and Evadne would know the area and the terrain, and could outmanoeuvre the enemy. In the dark, however, against an opponent that may outnumber them and that they didn't even know could see them or not, it would be a different story. Until they knew just what they were up against, they should be careful. In her opinion, anyway.

Anonymous

Arthur nodded, considering Tayr's comment. "You are right. We should skip tonight, and just stay inside until we know more. The question is... how will we do that?" He leaned on the table with his palms, studying the piece of parchment.

"You forgot one, by the way," he stated, gesturing for Evadne to bring him ink and a quill. When she set the writing instruments on the table, he grabbed the quill and scribbled a name on the edge of the parchment. Robert Cole.

"Of course, the man was already dead long before all of this started, but we should be thorough." Arthur fell quiet for a moment, remembering the particular incident. "The only man on that squad that I lost," he said with a certain sense of melancholy in his voice.

Evadne was listening with one eyebrow raised, realising how little she knew about her father's life before she was born. "Well," she stood up, "I will go and ready my bedroom for a second occupant. Excuse me." And she disappeared through her bedroom door.

Anonymous

((Happy birthday! ^^))

"Aye, Little Cole. Figured he weren't... Involved," explained Tayr with a sheepish and slightly sentimental look. It wasn't really right of her to leave him off, she supposed. He had been one of them, after all, and perhaps if he'd made it through that battle, not gone off on his own trying to impress his brother like the overeager new soldier he was – that she'd been too, to be fair... Maybe he'd be sitting here with them now.

She picked at her nails for a moment, so lost in thought that she barely noticed Evadne leave. It wasn't that she'd forgotten the man, of course. What happened to him had been her first non-glamorous experience of war, and one of the greatest influences on her advancement, or relative lack thereof. High-ranking types had to stay objective and be willing to make sacrifices. She could never do that. Because of him.

He really should have been included.

But that was neither here nor there right now, and this was not the time to get all maudlin. They had to think, and plan, and stay alert. She roused herself, and ventured, "Anyway, I'll wager we'll find out more when we flush 'em out in t'morning. I just don't fancy givin' 'em any more of an up than they got, is all."

"Where's..?" She suddenly realised that the room was missing an occupant, glancing around distractedly. "Ah, right, the bed." That was pretty bad. If she could miss something like that while daydreaming, an enemy that didn't want to be seen would get by easy. So no more diversions.

Anonymous

Arthur nodded cautiously. "You're right. We should not get over-eager. They will show themselves to us if we don't find them. All we have to do is be ready." He hardly knew the use of the word "over-eager" corresponded flawlessly with what was in Tayr's mind. "Let's keep our weapons close and stay alert tonight. But first we will need a good meal. I find my reflexes are rather slow when my stomach isn't quite filled."

He moved to the isle in the middle of the kitchen and took out a great wooden board. On it, he placed three long pieces of bread and cut them in half. It had been Evadne's plan to make these tonight and tomorrow night, because they had four of these, but he figured she wouldn't make a big deal out of it if he did it. She was busy with her room, anyway. Arthur had to admit to himself that he was surprised at how flexible he was suddenly. Perhaps it was the resurfacing air of his military glory days that did it, or perhaps the fact that an old friend had come to see him. Well, old... Arthur glanced at Tayr. She must have been rather young to join the army when she was added to his squad, because there wasn't even a hint of grey hair or age wrinkles in her face.

Arthur added slices of tomato, cheese, and seasoning to the bread and put their tops back on. Then he poked up the fire in the oven. A simple meal it would be, but healthy nonetheless.

Anonymous

At the mention of dinner, Tayr smiled and rubbed her hands together. The last few days scavenging in the forest had reminded her pleasantly of playing in the woods as a child, but she couldn't fill her stomach on happy memories alone. "I'm about ready to eat proper food again, that's for sure! Can't get by on nuts 'n berries."

As the room began to fill with the smell of cooking, her attention turned suddenly to the window. She could have sworn there was a flash of movement out there in the gloom, but if it had been anything, it was gone now. Watching for a while, there didn't seem to be anything untoward; wheat swayed softly in the wind, none of it that she could see showing signs of disturbance, and a bird flitted across the sky. By all accounts, it was a peaceful evening in the country. Of course, they all knew better. Troubled again, she turned back to Arthur. "When t'girl's done back here, we should pick shifts for sleepin'."

Outside, the creature moved quickly and quietly around the house. It wasn't quite dark enough yet, and it couldn't linger at any one window for too long lest it be spotted. It hadn't spied Arthur in the kitchen on this pass, circling too fast to glimpse him at the oven. It already knew the woman was there, and the girl in another room moments later was also an expected sight. So far, it was disappointing. It didn't matter too much, though. He had all night.