Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a little too quiet.

Started by Rhindeer, March 24, 2011, 01:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

It was one of those days where things felt just a little too quiet.

Too peaceful.

Too easy.

Everything was going just too well.

Rune would have liked to say he was an optimist, and he normally was. But ever since he'd come to this particular village and set up a temple, it felt like every little thing was a test. For one, of course this village's local 'god' had to be one of the most bratty, spoiled, temperamental creatures he'd ever had the displeasure of encountering.

Not to mention scary.

But he liked to focus on the bratty, spoiled, temperamental part, not the part where he could rip him to shreds.

There weren't too many days that went by where he didn't deal with that fae in some form or other, so while Rune was out in the fields, helping tend the crops and enjoying the peace, he didn't yet feel comfortable in calling it a blessing. It had been too long. The past couple days had been just as mundane, and that made him suspicious and tense more than relieved as he found himself waiting for the other shoe to drop, for the clouds to roll in for a sudden downpour. Or something. He never had been good with metaphors.

Wiping the back of his hand across his brow, sweaty from the afternoon sun, he took a break from his work and started heading through the field in the direction of the temple. Still nothing, and the day was half done.

This was either a really good sign, or a really bad one.

Either way, he was a little irritated that he couldn't even relax when that fae wasn't even around!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Iollan watched the stupid mortal work, eyes narrowed, breath coming in low hisses, hands flexing with the urge to tear something apart. He hated that stupid, stupid priest. How dare he! Stalking forward, he moved through the field, one with the plants until he was next to Rune, seeming to appear out of the thin air.

He smirked, his rough voice mocking, "Stupid, foolish mortal. You are mine. You use my fields, yet you dare to not give me thanks. Your crops grow because of me! Bow to me and I will forgive you."

Rhindeer

A jolt ran through Rune and he froze, breath catching in his throat as he swallowed a surprised curse. No matter how many times the fae had done that, he never got used to it. How could you prepare for something utterly unpredictable?

He let his held breath out in a long sigh, closing his eyes and giving a silent prayer that the gods grant him patience. He knew that looming sense of dread and paranoia hadn't been for nothing. Opening his eyes again and projecting a tranquil sort of calm that he didn't feel, he looked to the fae and pushed his glasses further up on his nose.

"What? Not even a 'hello'?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Iollan gave Rune a contemptuous look, snorting, "Why would I say hello? You are not my equal. I do not need to greet you. I am a God." Iollan disliked how often he had to remind the stupid priest of his place. The fact he never seemed to get it infuriated him.

He gestured to the growing crops, "But you distract. You refuse to worship me, yet you use my land. You have not paid me blood."

Rhindeer

Here we go again, Rune thought, repressing a sigh.

He started to walk again, turning his back to the fae and striding toward the temple. Iollan had never followed him inside there yet, so if he could just get there...ugh, not that he enjoyed taking this route. He couldn't stay in there forever, after all, and running only showed a lack of faith in his gods.

"I don't plan on giving you blood, either," Rune said. "You're not my god, Iollan. You'll never be my god. I have my own gods, and this is their domain."

Anonymous

There was a snarl of rage and Iollan's hand reached out, grabbing Rune's wrist and jerking the priest hard, sharp nails digging into Rune. He was bristling with rage, low hisses coming from him, inhuman and strange, "What did you say mortal? How dare you? This is my land. Mine! Your god does not walk here! I DO!"

Rhindeer

Yanked backwards, Rune gave a yelp of pain that he stubbornly cut off, clenching his jaw and pressing his lips together to keep the sound in. Iollan's strength always surprised him, his nails painfully digging into his skin, but he couldn't give the fae the satisfaction of knowing he frightened him. Every instinct, every knee-jerk impulse screamed at him to struggle, to fight back and try and pry his hand off of him, but he fought the urge down, breathed deeply through his nose, and gave a silent prayer for strength.

Here they went again. He'd set the fae off. Again. All he could do now was try not to escalate it; pride wouldn't let him take back his words and he had no intention of honoring Iollan as a god, ever.

"Iollan, release me," Rune ground out, trying to keep his voice level, though his pulse was hammering in his ears. He hoped the fae couldn't feel it in his wrist.

Anonymous

"No!" Iollan snarled the word, eyes narrowed and expression furious, his sharp fangs bared, "You have insulted me! I am a God! You will show me respect or I will tear you apart!"

He couldn't understand how this stupid, useless mortal could resist him! He walked this land, he ruled it, not his stupid dead gods. How dare he treat him like this!?

Rhindeer

"You give me no reason to respect you! Why should I honor you when you're acting like a bratty child throwing a tantrum because he's not getting his way? The only thing you haven't done is flopped onto your back and started kicking!" Rune snapped, and twisted his arm as much as he dared, to try to ease up some of the pressure before those nails cut him.

Perhaps he shouldn't have said that; he was taking his life in his hands in doing so and he knew it, shaking with fear and tension and anger. But it was the truth.

Anonymous

"Child!?" Iollan hissed the word, tightening his grip on Rune's wrist, squeezing painfully, "I am as old as this land! You think you can speak to a God like this?"

With a sudden motion, Iollan tossed Rune's arm away, "I will have my blood price for this insult. And I wont take it from you."

Rhindeer

Stubbornness could only get him so far. Despite his best efforts not to, Rune cried out as Iollan's grip tightened until he thought the fae might just go ahead and snap his wrist, bones creaking. His struggles quickly ceased and he grabbed onto Iollan's hand with his free one to try and pry him off, only half aware of what he was saying. It was hard to focus on anything else and for a moment he couldn't even speak.

Not until Iollan tossed his arm away. Rune drew in a sharp gasp of relief and cradled his wrist--but then he finally could pay attention, and what the fae said made him forget all about the pain. The blood drained from his face and his eyes locked onto Iollan, wide with alarm. "What? What do you mean?"

Deep inside, he knew exactly what the fae meant and it struck a deep chord of fear in him like few other things did. He could handle the fae. He had resigned himself to dealing with and enduring whatever Iollan threw his way. Did he enjoy it? No. Did it frighten him? Yes. But it was between he and the fae, and as long as it stayed that way, he could take it and bend without breaking.

Anonymous

"You know! Stupid priest!" Iollan's handome features twisted into a cruel grin, "You wont break if I hurt you. Let's see if your stupid dead god will come when you beg for him. You have insulted me. You will pay for this, with the blood of others."

And Iollan would make sure they knew why he was taking his price. That because he was not given the respect he deserved, they would suffer.

Rhindeer

"What?" Real fear squeezed his chest, making it hard to breathe and freezing him in place. For a moment, that was all he could say, unable to form words. That wasn't...that wasn't how that was supposed to go! He was okay with it when the feud stayed between them, but this? This was something he never, ever intended, an outcome he could have never foreseen.

He grabbed onto Iollan's arm, finally finding the strength to speak. "Iollan, no! This is between us! They have nothing to do with this!"

Anonymous

"They have much to do with this." Iollan hissed the words, enjoying watching the fear and panic on the priests face. He should fear and respect him! He was a God!

"They are mine! And you teach them to not respect me! So I will remind them of why they must!"

Rhindeer

"Through bloodshed?" Rune laughed, half incredulous, half frightened. "Fear isn't the same as respect, Iollan. You don't earn respect through pain and fear."

Anonymous

"You are too simple to understand." Iollan bared his teeth again. It wasn't simple violence that kept the people worshiping him. They understood what he did for them, they understood what he was, a force of nature, raw and brutal but could bring great things. And unlike most forces of nature, this one could be calmed and placated so he didn't destroy the village.

"Do you ask them why they worship me?"

Rhindeer

"If they worship you willingly, if they truly believe you, then you shouldn't have to prove your authenticity to them. You shouldn't have to remind them." Rune knew he should keep his mouth shut, but anger was starting to seep into the fear and horror.

"I'm not so simple that I don't understand that."

Anonymous

"I do nothing to prove! I have nothing to prove!" Iollan hissed, power starting to swirl around him in his rage. He should tear this one apart and drink his blood. But that wasn't enough for him. He was going to make the stupid mortal understand.

He slapped Rune across the face, leaving a vivid imprint behind, "You insult me! You look only with your stupid eyes! I am God here!"

Rhindeer

It was an effort to maintain calm, and Rune didn't feel that he was doing a very good job of that. Strange as it was, the slap in the face helped. It hurt, the force of it snapping his head to the side, but it also brought him back to his senses. Gritting his teeth, it was an effort not to reach up to touch his cheek, to smooth away the stinging pain, but he forced himself to take deep, calming breaths, to rein in his anger. He'd already slipped up enough here, exacerbated an already bad situation. Perhaps he was just too proud, himself, no matter how he tried to beat that out of himself.

"You're wrong, Iollan," he finally said, very calmly. "And we're done here."

Anonymous

Iollan hissed, angry and menacing, "I say when we are done! I say! I am the God here, I am the one that rules. Your stupid dead god is not welcome. My people understand, they know the price. Why are you so stupid!"