Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The GREAT CONNLAOTHIAN UBERTHREAD

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2011, 03:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

For some things, there was no going past the old classics. Chains, for instance. Everyone with the sense Ansgar gave a goldfish knew Connlaoth made stronger metals, and lighter ones, but when you figured you had a dangerous mage on your hands...you couldn't go past a nice hefty set of solid, pure iron chains to decorate magical wrists or ankles.

Right now, he had wrists and ankles both. Heavy ones. And a tall, fierce looking Adhara on the cell door.

Murray slumped in the corner.

Twenty years of loyal service - more than that; he'd known His Nibs since before he'd even inherited his father's duchy, much less become the Grand Duke of all! - and here he was, sitting on his arse in a drafty cell with a bowl of cold slops he wouldn't have fed to a bleedin' rat.

To be sure, he'd had plenty worse in the service, but that wasn't the point!

"I need to talk to Lord Geisler. I can explain it all. That's it, that's all I want...just get him for me, hey?"

The young girl wouldn't look at him. She looked like there was something unpleasant been shoved right under her nose.

Come now. He didn't smell that bad.

Well, bugger. Time for plan B...make some noise, boyo.

"Geisler? GEISLER!"

Anonymous

He was still in shock. Bernard couldn't believe this. There had to be some terrible mistake. Some enemy of his had gotten some magic user to frame Murray. He had known Murray since he was a child! He wasn't some tainted mage! Even if he was, there was no way Murray wouldn't have turned himself in.

Thank God for Eloise. She had been his rock. Even now, she was the one handling everything. She would make it all better.

Pausing outside the cell door, Bernard could hear Murray inside. Glancing over at his wife, he frowned, "It all has to be a mistake love. There is no way he's a mage."

It was the same thing he had repeated to her several times since they had gotten the news.

Looshi

And what if he is a mage?

Eloise didn't have the heart to say it to her husband; looking him in the face, into those green eyes that were already laced with such pain and conflict. She could not say she could understand what Bernard was going through, she had felt no such feeling of loss before even if it is too quick to judge. However, that had the possibility of all changing if they, or rather she, did not grab a hold of this situation and crush it between her fingers.

Luckily for her, she already had an advantage. A mind unclouded by the sting of betrayal. Eloise had never trusted Murray. No matter how much faith Bernard had placed in the man, all she could see was a liability; a person that was not her had gotten close enough to hear secrets and ride on the privilege of the Grand Duke's protection. If Murray thought he could still grasp onto it and expect her husband to fall to his knees to the courts, to the nobles, to all of Connlaoth in the defence of a suspected mage - of all things - he was sadly mistaken. Bernard had a sense of honour and of duty to his country and he had her at his side to push him towards it if he faltered. Eloise would not let one man destroy it all.

She slipped her hand in to hold his, squeezing tightly. "We'll deal with this, Bernard, no matter what the outcome ends up being." Eloise said, "and I do think he's screamed for you enough. Let us not let him annoy the Mordecai further, hmm?"

Anonymous

Oh, joy of joys, Bernard had arrived.

Of course, he had Madam with him (Murray had never been all that sure just what it was Bernard saw in the woman) but...oh, who gave a shit? As long as she didn't interrupt him, it'd all be apples.

He wasn't a young man no more, not by any shake, but he didn't think he'd ever run so fast in his entire bleedin' life as he did scrambling to get nearer to the door. It was sodding hard to run when your legs were shackled at the ankles!

He pulled up short when the chain ran out, doing a funny sort of lopsided skip to catch his balance and stay on his feet. Blasted thing, bolted to the wall...

"I'm sorry Geisler." Now he was here...he'd been planning what he might say, but none of it was coming out. Truth and all, it felt like he was trying to puke up a doorknob. He scrambled for any words he could find. "I can't...I never...how many times have I saved your arse? If I wanted to hurt you, I'd have let it happen then."

Oh, for the love of kittens, it sounded even worse then he'd thought it might.

Anonymous

"Oh Carwardine." Bernard felt a sharp pain slice through his chest. He wasn't denying it. He wasn't explaining how it was all some misunderstanding. The apologies twisted into Bernard. Gripping Eloise's hand tighter, the Grand Duke stared down at his former friend.

"Why?"

Anonymous

Murray shrugged helplessly. He couldn't remember ever being so miserable. So bleedin' helpless. It wasn't right for a man.

"Never thought I was a mage. I still don't think I am one, but I can't...I don't...after this, I 'spose I must be."

Come on, boyo. Man up, and never mind the tears he could feel prickling the back of his eyes. He'd be damned if he would cry in front of Herself. Bernard too, of course, but mostly Herself.

"I'm sorry man."

Looshi

Eloise squeezed Bernard's hand back in response. She knew this would trouble him, far more than even he himself could have expected. That was why she was there, at his side. To take care of it all.

What she would do for Murray on the other hand was another story. All he was, was a wretch, no, a rat. She wanted to strike out her hand and grab him by the collar and make sure he could not look away from her as she said her piece. But she didn't. Eloise stared stone faced at him as he and her husband exchanged words. Until..

She clicked her tongue. "Careful, Murray, that could be a confession." She said, "I don't advise on supposing anything if you wish to keep that life of yours." Not that it would mean much of anything. Once a name was marred, it was marred even after innocence.

Anonymous

Bernard took a step back from Murray, his expression heartbroken before he slid a stony mask into place, "Are you saying you are a mage? How could you not have gone to the church?"

Even as a marked mage, Bernard would have kept him, the scandal be damned. He was a friend. But to hide it like that? To let the taint in. The mask slipped, and Barnard looked angry now, his voice a low hiss, "I let you around my children. How could you?"

Anonymous

"Tell the church, he says. And then what? Have your name, and your children, and your wife,"

(It was a right pain in the arse to include Herself in this - and she was still looking daggers at him, the foul-tempered little witch - but there you had it. Bernard loved her. Nothing to be done about it now.)

"and...oh hell man, why not include all of Connlaoth? Have all of that dragged through the mud because your name's harnessed up with mine? Lose my position anyway, even if by some miracle the rest of the palace didn't have to wear it? All this for something I don't remember ever learning? Geisler, my boy, what a genius you are."

Murray drew himself up to his full height. The chains made it difficult, but even in chains he'd be damned if he didn't try. Feet together, shoulders squared back, staring at a point somewhere off on the horizon behind Bernard's head (just let Herself try and take potshots at him, just let her try)...it was the closest he'd get to a proper military bearing these days, but somehow that was important. That mattered.

"I served the best way I knew how, sir. Always."

Looshi

Eloise put her free hand on Bernard's arm and pushed her body closer to his. "Sweetheart, our children are far stronger than any taint by magic. Do not worry about them." She said, she did not need her husband to lose his cool now, not when much was at stake. Unlike most, she did not have a fear of magic. It was like any other weapon that could maim and destroy, mages however, could not put theirs away. She could respect that kind of power and realise the threat of not being able to dismember it.

It was a wonder why she herself was not taken aback by Murray's demeanour, the things he said that insulted not only her but the Grand Duke with out an ounce of reverence needed in addressing someone of power, regardless of the situation - because she was expecting this. An animal would chew off its own leg to get out of a trap. And his arguments were weak at best.

Eloise did her best to keep her face as stoic as possible as the accused rose himself up to his full height, a meer one inch above her own. Honestly, was that supposed to intimidate her? Really? It was difficult not to laugh, though she managed.

Anonymous

Oh bollocks. Ansgar's sagging, hairy, wrinkled, sweaty bollocks.

This wasn't going anywhere.

Just one look at the expression on Herself's snooty face said it all. He'd have liked to slap her, if he hadn't known Bernard wouldn't stand for it. He'd have liked to walk away, too, and give himself a tiny scrap of dignity...if the cell had been big enough.

It wasn't. That was the point of cells.

Anonymous

Bernard growled, raking a hand through his hair. He knew what he had to do, what duty told him was required here. But it was Murray. The man who had practically raised him, had been with him longer than he could remember.

It was at that moment that Michael arrived, breezing into the cell and gave Bernard and his wife a quick salute, "I came as soon as I heard Sire."

Bernard nodded, feeling his heart grow heavy. There was no more time. The truth was going to have to come out and Sir Weiss was one of the best. "Ah. Yes. Thank you Michael. We...haven't gotten anything out of him yet."

For a moment, Bernard's mask crumbled again, "He is a good man-I'm sure-...I'm sure he would never harm this nation."

Anonymous

Bollocks again. Of all the people they could've sent for...he knew Michael Weiss, he'd seen a fair chunk of her career play out over the years. This little missie was a hard nut. Damned good at her job, but being on the other end of one of her sessions was not a place any man with half his wits left to him would ever want to be.

Should've expected they'd ask her.

He tried to smile. That blasted doorknob was back in his throat again, rising pretty bleedin' fast.

His voice shook. Damn and blast.

"Hello Weiss. How's tricks?"

Anonymous

"Not so good Carwardine." Michael shook her head, looking the man over, "I've heard some bad rumors. That there was magic done by you. What do you have to say about that?"

Maybe this would all get worked out all nice and polite like, not have to resort to torture. But it almost never did. While she wasn't close with Murray, she had known him for years and disliked hurting Bernard through him.

But magic wasn't something to take lightly and she would get to the bottom of it.

Looshi

She couldn't help that a playful smile danced on her lips when she first saw the form of Michael entering. And it just happened to reach her eyes as the head of the Mordecai gave a respectful salute. It was a genuine expression, not one that was hiding daggers behind it - the kind quite similar to the soulless stare she had been giving Murray, all wrapped up in chains like a poor, poor little animal. She tightened her grip on Bernard's arm and hand, reassuring him that she was still there and was one of the few things he could squeeze and not break.

Perhaps asking Michael herself to come was a little much, anyone with the abilities of a Mordecai would do. However, the responsibility of this particular assumed mage rested on both hers and the Grand Duke, considering how very close he managed to wiggle himself. Eloise liked Michael on the fact that she tended to take reputation seriously.

"Yes, Murray, what do you have to say for it?" She said, and if he was less of a fool than she pegged him as the man would choose not to recite the same things as he did before in front of the Mordecai. While he may still be a mage, he might have not been the one using magic. There was a difference. Just because you know how to wield, or had the potential, a sword didn't mean you were the one to stab. A game of politics began to unroll itself in Eloise's mind. The magic could have come from anyone. Murray could have been framed by one of the more obnoxious Lords, using a hireling or an innocent bystander on the point of blackmail. She could use this as an excuse to investigate the nobles. No one could see the skeletons unless the door was open...

But that was in the future. The present was just as it unfolded before her. She was not about to ask for mercy to be played by Michael. No, let the man squirm. Innocent or not. He was hurting Bernard. No one did that.

Anonymous

Oh, shut up you daft bint...

He wasn't going to say that, but he was thinking it for sure. Trust Her to chip in where she wasn't ruddy needed. For the love of kittens, you'd think she thought it wasn't bad enough already!

Murray made sure to look directly at Eloise as he spoke, slowly and carefully. She wanted to know so badly, she could damn well listen. Be the first time in her life she ever did, most likely.

"I never hurt Geisler. I never hurt Connlaoth. I never would, and even if I wanted to I wouldn't know how. The only magic I know any-sodding-thing about is to protect the man."

There. Now it was out.

He took a deep breath and tried to keep his hands from shaking.

Anonymous

"Eloise..." Bernard squeezed her hand back, his voice slightly chiding. He knew there was little lost love between his wife and his...whatever Murray was now. But he didn't want to see them bickering now.

Though when Murray finally spoke, he went very still. So it had been true. Murray was a mage, a tainted practitioner of dark magic.

Michael just sighed, shaking her head, "Carwardine, Carwardine, Carwardine. You know as well as I that doesn't matter. You broke the natural order. You brought evil into our land, destroyed the balance we are trying so hard to create. You know I can't let you go."

He would have to be purged, cleansed of the sin of magic and punished for his crime.

Anonymous

"Yep. I know. Near shittin' meself at the thought, actually." Murray laughed, a short huff like a dog's bark, bitter as an olive pip on his tongue. "It's not just the food in these digs that's got me dropping my dacks!"

Murray sat down. These chains were heavy after a while, and strong as he was it just wasn't comfortable hunching over to keep them all loose. Not much to look at except his feet...but then again, he wasn't a wordsmith. He didn't have the sweet talking thing down. Maybe it was better if he didn't have to look at anyone right now. Least of all Bernard.

"Those mages you chase. Like me, I 'spose, but the ones who get away. Where do they go?"

It's a right struggle getting this lot out. Every time he opened his trap, the words kept getting faster and faster, tumbling over each other in a rush.

"They don't just stop doing magic, they don't just forget. They can't. Every time they send something off this way hoping to catch Geisler without his guard, asleep, in the bath...every time they try, I've known. I've stopped it, or tried. I've asked for the guard to be increased. I've moved his schedule for the day, so he's not where the magic will hit. I've put shields up. Weak ones, cos that's all I can do, but enough to fill the cracks. Enough to keep the worst of it out. I've been doing it for years."  

Deep breath. Okay. That was the hard bit over and done. He could feel Weiss watching him. This bit, this bit she had to understand...

"It was worth it, but. I'd follow that man up a dragon's arse if he told me to go. Selling my soul to keep him safe...that's just the next step up. Leastaways for me it doesn't hurt. A banged-up old soul like mine, it's even a fair trade."

He looked up. Smiled.

"'S nice, telling the truth for once."

Looshi

Eloise stared at Murray as the confession - the real honest to Ansgar confession - tumbled out of his mouth. Well, this certainly wasn't good for her. With Michael there to hear it all, every single word of heresy, it damned the man to a wonderful hot date with coals and the smell of burning flesh. But, in her own mind it played against her sensibilities, she was stumbling over her thoughts to find a way to reproach it. The man was a fool. An absolute fool. And the entire speech hit every note that signalled her to believe that this was a person who was giving into defeat.

She hated when people played powerless, even in the position that Murray was in, he could at least attempt to show he was willing to fight. The chains were not too heavy, he could still stand tall, but he choose not to stand at all. Eloise could feel the hairs on the nape of her neck raise as she became aware that the coolness of the prison was making her uncomfortable. Or perhaps it was this. She hated the man more knowing that he was giving up on what he said he protected with his very life. He didn't even try to lie his way out of the interrogation!

What use are you if you're dead? She wanted to take him by the shoulders and shake him until those words got stuck in his head.

And perhaps, perhaps she was stinging from the blow against her pride. It showed her weaknesses. Murray claimed to protect Bernard. From mages. She should have known about this!

Ugh. She was starting to get a headache.

"Are you done?" She said, dismissively and wanted to slap that smile off his face. So badly.

Anonymous

"Yes'm. I've said my piece."

Murray didn't even look at her. She - cold little bitch that she was - didn't understand.

That sodding woman and her endless politicking. It'd get her into trouble one day, you just wait and see. Her and Bernard both, and the poor boyo didn't even ask for the trouble.

"I'm gunna die anyway. On the torturer's table pretending I didn't do it after all, in the fire...one way or the other I'm out. I already know I'm going where the bad people go, but if it's all the same to you, ma'am, I won't go with a lie."

Ha. Chew on that, princess. Don't forget to choke on it on the way down.

She'd never understand.