Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where do we go now... (Draco)

Started by Lion, June 09, 2011, 10:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

The dawn was rising.  What might have been days or weeks of travel took place in no more than a few hours as Garaduin twisted and soared through the air.  Soon they were at their destination and dropped off at a mountain peak just a few miles north of  Xelikuda camp.  Hysaeda knew the path from here and would lead the way.  He watched as the dragon shot up into the air one more time and flew away with his cousin on his back.  He knew that Iharu would take a great deal of time before he could understand why Hysaeda would bother hanging around an outlander, but because he was family, he would have to understand eventually.

Hysaeda looked at the expanse around him, the familiarity of the terrain, felt at home.  This was where he belonged.  Before starting down the path, he looked back at Adalia and Atras, the latter of which was laying on the ground before starting to get up as if he'd taken a really long drunken nap.  The horse chuffed, shook his head and eventually just climbed upon his four feet.  He looked around dizzily, almost as if he didn't really know where he was.

"I think you should put Atras' things on his back before he starts having a heart attack at all the strange locations he's in."  Hysaeda pointed out as he put the strap of his own bag over his shoulder.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Adalia went to work quickly, attaching Atras's saddle and his bags and petting his head while whispering sweet nothings and making noises to distract him. It was unfamiliar land, they weren't all that used to mountains. Or dragon rides. "Well, I was going to let him wander around. But..." She looked towards the sky and then bit her lip and rubbed at her forearm.

"So, tell me  what we're going to do and I'll help anyway I can. Just like I promised."

Lion

He knew she was eager to help, though he still didn't see the reason why.  Nobody just helped anybody for nothing, even if it was to 'set things right'.  Forgiveness wasn't really big on a list of Umbraeon things to do, it wasn't natural for them.  And neither was it for Hysaeda.  But he wasn't angry at Adalia, he'd let go and let gone a long time ago that what happened when they first met didn't really matter as it would have.  It was one of the things that set him apart from the others, but on rare occasions, he could find it in his heart to forgive those that had wronged him.  But as for those that were stealing from his homeland, well they could be swallowed by the earth for all he cared.  They could never be forgiven.

Hysaeda couldn't suppress a smile when it came to acknowledging Adalia's willingness.  They'd been through much together and even if she was an outlander, she was nearly his only friend.  That was a fact he didn't like to think about often; in fact, he was so often alone, he never thought about what it must be like to be spending so much time around others.  You couldn't miss something that you've never known right?  But somewhere inside him, he knew, when this was all over, he would probably miss Adalia.  Even if it was just a little bit.

"We can rest first," he said.  "Not here.  There's a little ridge not too far downhill that's safer to stay at than here.  But be careful, one slip and you could be tumbling for a really long time.  Let's go while daylight approaches."  Hysaeda started down the hill but was sure to show Adalia the right way to travel in these mountains.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Rest. Adalia almost laughed to herself. Rest was the farthest thing from her mind, no matter how tired she might have been. Her mind was tired but her eyes were alert and her body was wide awake. She shifted towards Atras who simply moved his head down to rub the underside of his head against her shoulder and she stared at the sky and simply chewed on her lip.

She wasn't sure if she'd be glad to be rid of this. The forest, the nature. Go back to the stone forests of the city. The boring life of dresses and gloves and feeling ashamed of her scars. Her fingers brushed against Atras's velvet nose and she nodded towards Hysaeda. "I'll follow." She was careful about her footing, careful about leading Atras down having to coax him a few times before he started plotting along.

Her voice was soft and she said the few serenian phrases she knew and Atras followed. When they reached the ledge Atras laid down with his legs tucked under him and refused to move, giving her an evil eye in which she just leaned over and gave the horse a kiss on the forehead. "So. Rest. And then we go to your... Home." Adalia frowned slightly and rubbed at her wrists.  "Hysaeda, I'm worried." She frowned, "I... I don't handle being loathed very well and if you're going to go off and have sex everytime we pretend I'm your slave I'm not so sure I want to do it again. It's always a little awkward to be left alone with two people who sorta want to wear your skin like a cape."

Lion

"Umbraeons don't wear capes," he said blankly as he sat cross-legged on the ground.  "But you have nothing to worry about, I'll go off in the morning and find some rope to make you all slave-like and we'll be good to go.  Or if I only had a slave bracer, than no ropes would be necessary.  However, since I don't have one we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way."  It seemed pointless, to reiterate all this to her, but she was going deep into country where she was just not welcomed.  It was not him trying to console her but rather him trying to tell her what it was going to be like as closely as possible.

"I'm sorry about the sex thing.  But why does it bother you so much anyway?  It won't happen again, I promise you and I won't let you out of my sight unless I have a really good reason to.  You'll be staying with my father, he won't question it and he won't try to skin you.  He's nice, you'll like him.  Look at it this way, the less worried you are, the better off you are.  And you'll still be wearing your skin."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia laughed when Hysaeda told her Umbraeon didn't wear capes. She sat down beside him, her leg touching his and folded her hands into her lap and let her chin fall down to rest against her chest. She looked up and tried to smile again, but the question of why did it bother her so much made her cheeks go red and she quickly looked away. Why did it bother her so much? They weren't an item, they weren't... Together. The only reason they did the tango was because of... Something that wasn't them.

Well, Adalia was completely herself, but it was no use beating herself up about it. Adalia licked her lips and kept silent and listened, smiling slightly when Hysaeda assured her that she would like his father. A small part of her was looking forward to it, the larger part was worried that it would get messed up and she'd be a real slave. That wasn't what she wanted to do with her life. "Well, it's good he won't skin me. It might not be the prettiest, but it's mine and I'm afraid I'm rather attached."

"About... Being upset. I know it's not my place and I know you don't have... feelings. For me." She took a deep breath, "But I've found myself rather attached. To you, I mean. It's probably because of how I was raised and what we did and... I just... Was taught to associate those feelings with that... Act."  Adalia tried to smile, but it didn't reach her eyes and she was quick to look away. "I don't want to feel anything, if that makes you feel better."

Lion

Hysaeda had no intentions of keeping her as an object.  He didn't look at her that way, and though slaves were possessions and treated as such, to keep his only real friend as one seemed more offensive to him.  His father would more than likely agree that he ought to take her out into the wild and release her.  Outlanders never made good slaves anyway, he would justify it.  But thinking about that last thing made Hysaeda feel as if he were treating Adalia like an animal.  Which, in a way, he was.  Perhaps subconsciously, this was his way of getting back at her for the weeks she had him tied to ropes and trailing off behind that damned horse.  A horse he was really starting to like.

But then she said something that made him go stiff, pause in thought and deep silence that felt as if a skin had just peeled away from his back.  Painful, slow, and tedious.  Hysaeda looked at her and gulped on a now very dry throat.  He reached into his bag and pulled out a flask, a small one, and unscrewed the top.  He took a sip of it and took a breath before offering it to her.  Silence still, but he needed time to really think about what she said and what it all meant.  He knew she wasn't one to mix words up without knowing what she was saying unlike other women that complained about miscommunication when they couldn't even tell others what they meant in the first place.  Her honesty, now seemed, a bit like a double-edged sword.

But maybe she was wrong.  Maybe he did sort of had feelings for her, only he didn't know it.  Perhaps it was a different kind of feeling though.  He couldn't really sort it out for himself; for he'd never known that kind of love for another and it was difficult to understand something one had never truly experienced.  The spurned would always be rejected one way or another.  It was to be their fate, a direction dictated in the stars.  And Hysaeda knew he would probably never be destined to know that kind of love.  But he was finding himself awfully attached to Adalia, after all the time they'd spent together.

"I think I can understand what you mean," he tried, not looking at her and taking another sip of the flask that he'd offered her.  "But I'm not sure of what I feel, but I do know that I like you.  I must have always liked you, but circumstances made it difficult for me to show it in a constructive manner.  You're the only real friend I've ever had, one that's never really judged me too harshly because I'm different.  You know what it's like, in a sense, to izhkram, to belong but to not belong... and there's a camaraderie between us that I haven't really had with anyone else.  I care about you Adalia, no matter what you feel, I really do.  I hope you understand me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The admittance of friendship was a surprise to her, which was made obvious by the way her mouth was hanging slightly open and the confused arch of her eyebrows. Well, that went better than expected. At one point Adalia was sure Hysaeda thought she was disgusting and would rather chop off a limb than touch her. Of course his words confused her a little but she simply smiled and nodded and then rubbed at her arms.

They were different, sure. Though Adalia was unsure if his were simply cosmetic like hers were. Ugly scars among a people who value beauty, his was... He looked like a drow. Maybe he acted funny, he didn't seem quite as barbaric as his dragon-riding cousin, which was probably why Adalia felt more than moved and found herself plopping behind Hysaeda and wrapping her arms gently around his shoulders and resting her head against his in a sort of hug.

It wasn't very fair, for him to be so alone. She leaned slightly and pressed her lips to his temple before just resting against him. The contact and warmth was comforting, and she was slightly ready to spring back should Hysaeda find he didn't enjoy the contact. Adalia was sure he'd be more than willing to fling her away from him.

Lion

Hysaeda completely froze when she touched him.  There was yet another thing he just wasn't accustomed to.  His eyes were wide and though he held his breath, he was too shocked to freak out completely as he normally would when it came to unwanted contact.  But alas the loner in him thought it was a better idea to remain perfectly still all the while his flesh instinctively resisted being touched at all costs.  Even that sadly wasn't enough to save him.

Hysaeda just sat there, half suffering, thirty percent in shock, and the other twenty in denial that she was actually touching him at all.  That in reality, he'd must have ingested a bad potion and he was hallucinating the entire thing.  But then she kissed his temple and it all finally sunk in.  However, instead of throwing her to the ground and running away screaming, Hysaeda merely reached up and patted her hands.  In fact, once he got over his initial horror of it all, he actually found the hug to be very comforting.

Then he was returning the embrace and leaning his head on her shoulder too.  He placed a brief kiss by her ear and then let her go.  It was then that he realized that he could go the rest of the way in utter silence, and never feel more at peace that he was right now.  Life was always a little lighter when the weight was distributed with someone else, even if that person was a somewhat shaky friend at best and had been hatefully acquainted.

He couldn't help the smile that became him when he looked at her and he pat her hands again, squeezing it this time.  "Thank you," he said, finally finding something worth saying.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia smiled softly before she squeezed his hand back and leaned forward to press a chaste kiss to his lips, her chest pressed to his back still and her arms moving slightly to wrap up and under his arms, hands pressing to his chest before she situated herself with a leg on either side of his body so she could lean forward against him, being shorter it put her face against his shoulder blades. "You're not going to get hurt are you?" Her voice was quiet and she nuzzled against his back, more for the comfort of another being than anything else.

"You said you're an outcast, but... I think I'd ruin my cover if you just let people walk all over you, you're a friend." At least now he was, she'd consider him as such and it didn't help this was the most grand of adventures she'd ever been on. The concept of home was foreign and she didn't remember what a bed felt like.

Lion

"I don't know.  That's something that I can never tell," Hysaeda said honestly.  For it was truer than he could say whether or not he would get hurt for sure.  "You're venturing into a different sort of world here, Adalia.  Where I'm from, everyone has their place and is expected to keep that place.  If you're of higher station, you're entitled to be respected for it.  I'm the Wiseman's son, that is my place.  But it doesn't help that I look like some no good, dirty drow.  Sometimes exceptions are made so that the impure may be purged from the tribe.  But my father will not allow that to happen.  I am his son."

Hysaeda was quiet as she changed so that she could hug him from behind.  He did bother to resist and instead held her arms close to him.  He shivered slightly, a cold gust hitting him.  He'd almost forgotten what it was like in these mountains again.  "You must remember that other's walking all over me is the normal thing.  A slave standing up for their master, is certainly not.  If you value your life, you'll know your pretended place as well.  Is that clear?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia struggled with his words, and she grumbled into his back and said all sorts of nasty muffled things mostly about stubborn and grumpy and she hugged him tighter and sighed. After she calmed down she could simply sit silently and collect her thoughts before she grumbled out a quiet agreement, "Fine. I won't do anything, I won't light any fires on anyone's pants or anything. I'll even try to hide the fact I'm a mage." Adalia flexed her fingers against his chest and then pursed her lips, "If anyone asks about my hands it could be some sort of punishment for grabbing things I shouldn't."

Adalia was silent for a moment before she gave a quiet chuckle and then slowly lowered herself down to the ground, yawning while she did so. She didn't move her legs, assuming Hysaeda would skedaddle once she'd let go of his chest. "I'll really try, but if it gets out of hand... and... something bad happens" Adalia frowned, "You know what I can do. I'm a trained warrior, I'm a trained mage." Another yawn and she threw an arm over her eyes before wiggling on the ground to try and find a comfy spot.

"I'm probably going to fall asleep, you can use me as a pillow or wake me up when we're ready to go."

Lion

Hysaeda smiled at all the assurances she tried to give him.  Yes she was a trained fighter, so was he.   If only trained differently.  But it didn't matter how one was trained, it all mattered in how they used their powers to defend or attack.  Some part of the idea made him glad that he had Adalia on his side instead of against him.  He'd hate to have his head explode just because she made him swallow a ball of exploding air.  That was a relatively nasty trick even if it did have its uses.

"Just go to sleep Adalia, you need it more."  Humans always got exhausted more easily didn't they?

She laid down even in the awkward position she was in.  Once she was down, but not quite out, Hysaeda gently moved from the grip her legs had around  him and began to make a small, but containable fire.  He was tired too and though it was daylight, some part of him found it reasonable to do so.  The ground here was relatively barren and finding something to make it with wouldn't be easy.  But luckily he knew a few tricks up his hands and created a rising, dancing flame that swayed to the rhythm of his hands, persisting and eating at the fuel he had found.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Being high strung and sitting on a dragon hadn't been comforting at all and now that she'd unwind - the hug had done wonders for calming her down - she realized how desperately tired she was. Adalia didn't pass out completely, a sort of half awake place that made her open her eyes slightly every now and then to make sure Hysaeda hadn't high-tailed it. But no, every time she opened her eyes he was playing with the fire. Or what was left of the fire.

By the time she was done her nap she sat up, rubbed a sore spot on her back and gave a long stretch and a quiet yawn. Her back arched like a cat and her head fell back and she gave a grumbling moan of pure lazy before she righted herself. "There's food. In Atras's packs." The stuff that was being smoked while they... Adalia cleared her throat and stood up, wiping dust and rocks that clung to her legs. No more sleeping, she'd plan it out so she were extra tired. Maybe she'd be excused from her slavely duties if she passed out once they got there.

Lion

Hysaeda had eaten while she slept, a warm soup that filled the air around them with the scent of cooked meat.  He didn't feel like eating the food that'd kept them all the while they traveled.  He watched Adalia get up just as he was finishing and fixed her up something to eat while she cleaned herself off.  "You look like shit, Adalia.  You should have taken a bedroll with you.  Here, eat something.  Maybe that'll bring some color back to your face."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"No. I look like I fell asleep on the hard ground after a few weeks of sleeping like crap on the hard ground. I look normal, and I would kill for a hot bath and a comfy bed." the words left her mouth before she could stop them and she quickly bit her lip and looked down and then moved towards Hysaeda before yawning loudly and making a defeated noise.

"I'm sorry, Hysaeda. I didn't mean to snap. I wanted to help you out and I should realize by now just what I'm getting myself into. Which is a whole lot of trouble with no happy ending for me." Adalia gratefully took the soup with a quiet thanks and sat with her knees close to her chest, "Hopefully you get one though. You deserve one." A pleasant smile and she drank her soup quietly while waiting for instructions of when they were to leave and what the plans were on how to get there.

Lion

Normal for a woman who belonged to a place of high-flying city walls and horses and saddles and where everyone's opinion mattered?  No, he didn't think so.  Out here, he knew she already knew that things were different.  Nothing mattered but one's ability to survive.  Out here life was stripped away to the barest of essentials and if you didn't strip parts of yourself away as well to make the best of any situation.  Sometimes one went mad while trying to do it, but Hysaeda was there to at least make sure that Adalia still kept some of her wits, even if they didn't make any sense to him.

Hysaeda laughed at her snap instead of getting angry with her.  There was nothing to be offended about.  "You're cranky is all and hungry.  Here have a sip from this flask, it'll relax you.  I'll take care of Atras.  I think I've watch you put the stuff on him enough times to know what I'm doing."  He gulped.  He only hoped.  

He didn't start yet and merely stood to pat the horse and brush his hands through his hair.  "As for happy endings, well, I think after all the trouble you went through for me, you deserve it more."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

He seemed to be lightening up since forever ago and Adalia felt her eyebrows lift while she stared at him. It was strange. He wasn't... Grumpy. Or angry. She'd gotten so used to walking on eggshells that she wasn't quite sure how to react to him being nice. Maybe this was a calm before the storm, because she knew he couldn't be nice, couldn't afford to be nice, while she was his slave.

Adalia took a drink from the flask and then squeezed her eyes shut and standing up to stretch. She'd finshed the soup he'd given her and she quickly brushed her hair with her fingers, sucking in breath slowly she smiled at his back before she sat down to watch Hysaeda take care of Atras. Atras of course basked in the attention, the brat. He shifted his weight and pressed his velvety nose against Hysaedas arm the best he could, bending down to rub his face against his leg. It was an exchange, Hysaeda groomed him, so Atras would try and groom Hysaeda.

Of course he gave up when it proved to be to difficult.  She watched with a smile on her face, her eyebrows lifted before she moved to stand beside Hysaeda, deciding to help out at the last minute. "First, you need to put them blanket on, so his saddle doesn't chafe his back." She did so, pressing herself between Hysaeda and Atras's brown body so she could get it in the right place. "Is he starting to grow on you?"

Lion

He felt like a changed person.  It had been a gradual change, one that he hadn't noticed really until now.  Normally he was wont to snap at Adalia, most often when he felt she was making rather foolish remarks.  But now, it seemed he'd grown used to what she had to say and since she was his only companion and had been for so long, there was no one else to look to when he needed advice.  He thought he had the whole Atras thing down, but apparently he didn't and he felt a little stupid that he just stood there petting the damned horse.

He just stared at the horse's lame attempt to groom him and did his best to suppress a laugh until Adalia had come to his side.  Atras shook his head, throwing the hair out of his face before chuffing disappointedly that Adalia had ruined all the attention he was getting, but just stood there and suffered as the blanket went on him.

"A little," Hysaeda went on to answer her.  "He's the only horse I've spent the most time around in all my life.  I already told you a little about the Umbraeon diet.  And I don't think it'd be very fair to relay any details about it in Atras' presence here, but well...he would be delicious if mixed in with a little pepper and turned just right."  He slapped Atras' face lightly and playfully and smiled.  "I think I'll probably miss him as long as he doesn't get eaten out here.  Do you have any idea what you're going to do with him before we get to the camp?  We can't take him with us once we get there.  He'd be fair game."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia visibly frowned and closed her eyes for a brief moment before she stopped saddling the horse and moved her hand to Hysaedas wrist. "If... If he's going to get eaten, I want to leave him here. Without the saddle. He's not a stupid horse, and there's plenty for him to eat." Atras nosed against Hysaedas neck before he gave a quiet noise and Adalia let go of Hysaeda to take a deep breath. It dawned on her then how scared she was going to be. Even with Hysaeda there.

"Hysaeda... I'm Scared. I don't know what to do with Atras when we get to your camp. I don't want him eaten either."   A pained look came across her face and she pressed her forehead to Atras's neck taking in deep breaths. He didn't smell all that nice, but it was the familiar scent of her horse was comforting before she took in the fact that she was going to be very much not safe where they were going.