Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A moondrop bursts

Started by Lion, June 26, 2011, 01:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Mirrors, curious things they were.  What one could envision in them; the possibilities were nearly endless.  Put on a hat, you were going on an outing, a ball or a festival perhaps.  Paint your face and your beauty surpasses the ages.  Dress yourself in a cloak, and you've got something to hide.  Or nothing to hide.

The man who gazed at his reflection in the small portable mirror, saw a fine face that was cleanly shaven, lean and angular with a slight aquiline tilt to his nose.  The sheen of his skin, which had a light tan to it, could not accurately depict what age he appeared.  While there was youth in his face, there was also wisdom that came with age.  His hair was a dirty blonde, slicked back only half way before the curls started settling in the back towards the nape of his neck.  It was trimmed away from his ears, ears that held the temple arms of the wire-rimmed spectacles on his face.  The lenses were thin and most likely used only for reading, but they seemed so light, that he probably didn't even realize they were still on most of the time.  The man looked into his own eyes in the reflection, gazing deeply into the emerald green that shone not only darkly, but clearly as if they were pools of emerald water.

"Greetings, High Lord," the man recited in practice to the mirror.  He cleared his throat and repeated the phrase then lifted his neck as he adjusted the cravat underneath his chin, loosening it so that he may speak clearer.  As he waited in the anteroom of the High Lord of Fallial's offices here in Lindolen.  It was truly a beautiful city and a small part of him regretted not being able to take a walk around to and see the sights before the time for his appointed interview arrived.  He, after all, was no one to keep the High Lord waiting.  When he arrived however, no one told him that he would be the one set to wait instead.  And a very long time indeed.

But he had come here waiting on the Fallian Lord's time for any frivolous proposition.  In fact, it had been over a few fortnights' time that he'd made an inquest for an open position for an alchemist on the grounds.  He did not inquire as to what happened to the last one, but he supposed it didn't really matter after all.  A job was a job and he needed one.  So when the day came for him to arrive in the city, he made it his clear intention that he would be there as soon as possible, and took carriage post haste.

He looked into the mirror again, tilting a little to get a view of the guards that stood on either side of the closed doorway to the room.  He said nothing, but made a mental note of the way they just stared straight ahead as if they were in a trance in typical guard fashion.  Certainly nothing special about them, he conceded.  The man couldn't help himself when he pulled a broken timepiece from his coat pocket, one that had a shattered glass covering and time hands that stopped on the hours of one minute past twelve o'clock.  Despite its sheer uselessness, he didn't have it in him to get it repaired.  If anyone bothered to ask, he would say it was due to sentimental value.

Despite that, there wasn't much unusual to be found about him.  He wore simple clothing, a loose-sleeved dress-shirt with a close-fitting embroidered dress tunic over it, along with dark green trousers and brown boots.  His coat was finely tailored, but seemed to have more pockets than necessary.  It didn't seem to be anything a practical person would openly wear.  But even as he spotted a very faint sneer from the guard on the left, he couldn't help but grin in amusement.

He checked his broken watch again, more out of habit than because it said the correct time.  The watch chain was thing and light, hanging from a fold in the tunic and then back to the pocket where the watch was once again placed.  It was then that he turned around when he heard a faint shuffling and exchange of words.  Then the door opened and another man stepped, one he did not expect to be the High Lord.

He stood when the man came out, meeting him.  "Sir, Lord Rhys is ready for you now.  His lordships isn't feeling very well right now, so if you would please be quiet and courteous upon entering," the valet said, gesturing for him to move past him and through the door.

He was hesitant at first before stepping past the valet, thanking him as he did so.  He stepped forward and held out his hand to the High Lord in greeting.  "Lord Rhys, it is so good to finally meet you, sir.  My name is Lucan Stromwell, the alchemist, at your service, milord."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

If one were to judge him simply by appearances, it would be difficult – nay, impossible – to know that High Lord Rhys Stone had once walked a fine line between life and death.

Not by choice, of course, but by bad luck, bad genes, and incredibly bad timing – when the gaeva had first struck him, long ago, when he had been just a boy. He had been a teenager, back then, flighty and vain, but as compassionate, and maybe undeserving of his fate. But fate had no problem with picking her victims randomly. For a time, fate stood back, and watched with bored, tired eyes, as death held Rhys by the throat, dragging him into darkness, while Rhys, already a scrawny, weak boy, had fought back, tooth, claw and nail, for his life. It was a silent battle, one that Rhys eventually won, with a weary heart and tired lungs – but he had returned, somehow, to the world of the living. He had looked death in the eye and smiled, as he shook that looming beast away.

If not for his apothecary, the man learned in old and ancient healing artes, Rhys Stone would be dead.

To trust someone else with your life is to recognize that you have, efficiently, split your soul in two. Once you give someone the tools to end you and to heal you, the bond between both parties is no longer the same, and it never will be. The apothecary – who had been old, but wise, generous, and patient, despite all of Rhys' flamboyant behavior – was easily the High Lord's right-hand man. It was a relationship of total trust and respect – one that Rhys had always boyishly assumed that would last forever. But, like rainbows and dandelion seeds, all things must come to a halt. Eventually, the rainbow will fade away from blue eyes, and dandelions, if they are not pulled up by gardeners or dogs, are eventually plucked by children, their seeds blown away in the wind. But everyone knows a rainbow cannot last forever. For Rhys Stone, it was a total and complete surprise.

He was leaving, his apothecary – to care for his dying mother, during her last days on earth. Rhys, who knew the pain of losing both parents, could not deny his best man the chance to see his mother before she left this earth. Kia be with you, he had said, and watched him leave, with the knowledge that he would not be back for some time, that he would be out of an apothecary for heavens knew how long. He had known, the old man, that if Rhys could not find a proper apothecary that his life would be in danger... but left anyway. Was it out of trust – that Rhys was competent enough to find a replacement? Or was it because... No, he would not think of that. He would never.

Rhys, at first, was in denial, and lay awake wondering how in the world something like this could happen. He had been a good man – had raised his children with a loving hand, been a doting and loving husband, had sent good vibes to Kia fortnightly... And somehow, he knew his father never had to deal with such issues. But he had to be strong, or death would visit him once again, he knew. Stop sulking, he told himself, and do something. The effects of that accursed disease could revisit him before the month went out, he knew. The disease – ah, the damn gaeva, of course. His stress. His trauma.

A month and a half he had gone without the elixir – and Rhys Stone was pulling at straws. Thankfully, he had an appointment to see another apothecary candidate today, who, hopefully, would prove to be more competent than the others who had applied. Ah, and Rhys was not a man who liked to use such harsh words – like 'incompetent' – but that was really the only way to describe everyone else who had arrived. It made him long for his old friend, it made him want to curse, for once in his life – but that was not gentlemanly, and, despite his horrible condition, Rhys Stone was a gentleman before he was anything else. He could only pray that this new one was a shining sun amongst the elixir of burnt out stars.

It took him longer to get ready than before – blame the gaeva. His stress, and this infernal heat was bringing on an intense migraine – and he could take nothing for his pain. The only thing that kept him going was remembering that he had been through worse – when he had been a boy, long ago. That dance with death – it only reminded him how he never wanted to be so close to the light again. And if surviving meant readying himself to meet with another candidate, then so be it. The High Lord, despite his sickness, was dressed royally – in purples and silvers with black shoes, minus his usual purple robes. It was too hot to fool around with such things – despite his fondness for robes.

He was not a man who liked to keep people waiting, but the gaeva made him slower than normal. Usually, Rhys was quick, efficient, and busy – one had to be, to keep up with this sort of lifestyle, but now, he was effectively weakened, drained. It hadn't changed much, for Nyleha helped with most of the political intricacies of this job anyway – Kia bless her soul. Eventually, Rhys was able to make it to his office, the visitor's center if one would – where he had interviewed countless possible alchemists this month. It had been a job he had labored with alone – for how would anyone else know what Rhys needed for the job?

Unlike Rhys, the current candidate had been right on time. After Rhys composed himself, the valet let the man in – a blonde man, with green eyes, who introduced himself as Lucan Stromwell. Rhys smiled, but the sparkle in his eyes was quite dim – at any other time, he would've been more animated. Still, he took hold of the man's hand and shook it firmly, with vigor, with strength. Handshakes were always Rhys' way of assessing his fellow man passively – how strong they were of character and heart usually showed in their hands.

"Mr. Stromwell, it's so good of you to come! Please, take a seat – anywhere will do."

The office was quite large – a little too large to be considered an office. Rhys went to sit behind a desk – in front of such desk laid a few chairs, made of plush materials, comfortable and fashionable at the same time. The same could be said of the room – which was large, yet homey. Two windows, draped with purple curtains, were open on both sides of the room, which showed off the gardens of House Stone that lay outside of them. The room itself was adorned with exquisite paintings and a few statues, some commissioned by Rhys, others bought at art galas and fairs. The room seemed to be themed – many of the paintings and statues seemed to focus on water, streams, and oceans. The few statutes positioned around the room were of water carriers, equipped with a basket of water that they either carried by their hip, or on their heads. It gave the room a very calming feeling, in Rhys' opinion.

"I must apologize," Rhys began, clasping his hands together on his desk. "I am not normally a man who keeps others waiting for long. These are... trying times, for me." He would say no more on the matter – should the man prove to be a proficient, no, an excellent alchemist, then perhaps these times would no longer be so trying.

"I do appreciate, however, you coming out all this way, to try out for the job. Not many have bothered – and those who have ended up making the trip for nothing." He shook his head – it was silly, to keep loitering around in the past, and brightened up a little. "Ah, but let's not bother ourselves with that! Now – tell me – I'd like to know a little about you, Mr. Stromwell," he asked, his voice a little more exuberant than before. Rhys was a man who loved to socialize, even when he was graced with a pounding migraine.

"Or, if you're the enigmatic type, maybe you could tell me about your skills with alchemy. That's what's most important here, is it not? And – oh!" He stopped, in the middle of his sentence, as if he had forgotten something very important. "Would you like a drink, while we're chatting? Coffee, tea, or maybe a glass of wine?" The valet would get it for him, if he wanted it. It may have seemed like Rhys simply being a gracious host, as normal, but there was also a lot to learn from what a man chose to drink at an interview, if he chose to drink anything at all.

Lion

Handshakes were exchanged, and Lucan was sure to hold the High Lord's hand as firmly as possible.  First impressions were always to be done without anxiety or shaky nerves, and most importantly now, Lucan hoped that the handshake was all that was needed to tell the High Lord he was quite serious about the job, of course, he knew the handshake alone wouldn't get him hired, but at the very least it would tell him what kind of man he was.

Lucan was glad the High Lord was amicable enough to greet him personally instead of him going through an emissary that he was sure would dilly-dally and make matters all too confusing to bother with.  A lot of political types worked that way; the result of a faulty, quickly decaying system.  But he was wise enough to keep his musings to himself.

Lucan took a seat where he willed it, a chair right across from the massive desk of Lord Rhys.  He took his time assessing the room, recording the details of the curtains, the portraits, and even the statuettes that were meant to express a peaceful atmosphere.  It certainly did wonders to calm any guests' nerves that had any anxiety about meeting the ruler of the province.  Though they were not kings or emperors, it was not everyday experience for an ordinary person to have a private meeting with someone of such prestige.  And paying due deference could always rattle a few spines if one could not exert courage and grace under pressure.  Thankfully, Lucan could, and though he ran the risk of greeting the lord like some middle class everyman, he could breathe easy since Rhys had done the same.

"It is quite all right, milord.  I'm a patient man and truly it was no trouble at all.  Even if I have come a long way, it was well worth a trip just to view your beautiful city." He said with a small smile.  He pulled out a handkerchief from his coat pocket and wiped away the small beads of sweat the lightly coated his forehead.  "My apologies, milord, but it is bloody hot today."  Lucan wiped his spectacles clean with the same cloth before readjusting them back on his face and folding the handkerchief back in his pocket.

He looked up when Rhys offered him a drink as any good host would.  "Yes, I would.  A coffee will do, black with a small whiskey shot if it wouldn't be too much trouble."  It might have been too early for a taste of hard liquor, but it always had this right kind of kick that kept him awake as well as helped him relax.  Even atmospheres weren't always enough.  The valet that had let him right into the room, nodded in understanding as he took the order and vanished to prepare it.

"Thank you again for the offer and for your time.  It would be no trouble to tell you about myself.  After all you have every right to know.  For starters, I am from a small mountain town near Aram in Darken Vei, an only child to two loving parents, I'm sure.  I was orphaned at a very young age and cannot remember them very well.  I was sent off to live with my aunt, from my mother's side, in Reichsgard.  I was a good student as was required of me and raised to be a gentleman.  My aunt was the wife of a banker, a reserved man that showed his approval and affection quietly.  It was he that paid for the private tutor when he found I had an interest in alchemy.  I suppose the tuition fee at the local university was too high for him."

In the time he paused for effect, the valet had returned with the order and set the coffee cup down on the table.  Lucan took his time and sipped it politely.  "This is very good.  Strong.  I like it that way."  The grains were finer than he was used to, but it made for better coffee as far as he was concerned.

"Afterwards when I left home, I moved back to Aram and went to study at Ingram College south of the city, near the border of your fine province.  I studied alchemy there as well as botany.  I've worked as an independent apothecary, freelance so to speak, and wandered through many villages along the eastern coast.  I've traveled abroad for many years, and seen many lands, donating my services to those in need.  Money has never been that prime an interest of mine.  But lately, expenses have been building up and I am in need of a steady position."

Lucan took a pause to breathe and took another sip of the spiked coffee.  "And that is what brought me here today, in search of work.  I hope the explanation will suffice, but if there is anything else you'd like to know, please ask."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Determination – that's what Rhys could gauge from Lucan's handshake. Perhaps it was mixed with a little nervousness, and a pinch of anxiety, but Rhys didn't know anyone who could come into an interview like this without being a little antsy, at least. He was glad to feel this man's resolve in his shake, for Rhys wasn't sure just how long he'd last without an apothecary in House Stone. If push came to shove, he'd have to start learning the proper way to mix the elixir himself, and asking him to learn such a strenuous task in this condition was out of the question.

Thankfully, the man had not been too rattled by the wait – either that, or he was too polite to rant about it. Whether or not he was genuine in his claim, the man was respectful, and smiled honestly, which put Rhys a little more at ease. To say that Rhys himself was free of anxiety would be lying – it didn't matter that he was the higher power in this situation, because, if for some reason this man did not fit his requirements, he would have to go back to waiting for another applicant. It wouldn't be far from the truth, to say that Rhys wanted him to succeed just as much as Lucan wanted to succeed himself.

As the valet waltzed away, to prepare Mr. Stomwell his drink, Rhys couldn't help but smile at little at his beverage of choice. It was certainly different – no one had ever asked for anything alcoholic, never mind a shot of whiskey of all things, but perhaps it showcased the man's confidence, rather than anything else.

But, Rhys found he learned a lot more about the man from his story, than through his handshakes or choice in beverages. It was a simple story, but Rhys was a man who loved to hear about a man's background. To hear that he had been orphaned, but still grew to be strong, successful, and was raised to be a gentleman was refreshing – to Rhys, a clean, humble past was the start to a better beginning.

"I'm glad to hear that you've been practicing alchemy for some time," Rhys began, wishing he had thought to ask the valet to bring him some coffee as well. Not to drink, really, but just so he could hold the mug in his hands. Rhys was the sort of man who hated having idle hands, and so, he merely kept them clasped, folded together on his desk.

"And it is a relief to hear that you are a travelled, learned man. There are many who believe that alchemy is a subject one can be good at by just keeping your head in the book." Rhys shook his head, his voice decidedly pensive. "On the contrary, I've found that the best alchemists are those who have travelled, and seen the world, along with many of the diseases – common and rare – that are spread throughout this world."

He looked up at the man, his eyes still analytical. It wasn't something Rhys liked, having to be so calculating, but if this man was to be his apothecary, then he would have to trust him with his life. "My question for you is – how often, on your travels, have you had to treat chronic diseases? How severe was your worst case?" He paused – collecting his thoughts. "I only ask because I need an apothecary who can treat more than colds and cuts. While my family is healthy, for the most part, it is only I that needs... a little more care than normal."

Of course, the job description had not mentioned being versed in more persistent diseases; Rhys had left out that detail purposely, mainly because the whole world did not need to know about him and his having the gaeva. It was not contagious, of course, but people were ignorant, and the last thing Rhys needed was to be treated like an invalid because of it. His father had done his best to keep it a secret while searching for an apothecary, all those years ago, and now, Rhys would do the same. Whether he revealed his condition or not would rest on how much experience Mr. Stromwell had with treating other chronic diseases – only then, would he utter that damned word – gaeva.

Lion

Lucan took a healthy drink of the spiked coffee.  He hoped he wouldn't be giving the wrong impression to the High Lord that he was some kind of subversive alcoholic that needed a strong one every waking moment.  Yet it wasn't uncommon for those in his profession to need a little pick 'em up, after helping several patients with advanced diseases.  It certainly had the potential to be much worse, he considered, as it was known that some alchemists were prone to becoming quite addicted to many of their own concoctions.  This case, however, at least his dosage was kept in moderation, and Lucan would never openly deign to loose himself to the power of the drink.  Especially not during an interview with another so superior of station.  Anything that would possibly deter his chances of getting hired was definitely not high on his list of things to do.

It pleased him to see that Rhys was reacting rather well to hearing his backstory.  He had nothing to hide.  And he'd hoped that it proved worthy enough to at least earn some degree of respect from the man.  However, he couldn't allow himself to get his hopes up higher than necessary.  Donation of time was always nice and looked good on one's credentials for those that sought a better station of some sort, but you couldn't pay the bills on a lifetime of volunteer work.  "I completely agree with you milord," Lucan said solemnly and raised the mug in praise at the notion.  "I've been taught by both my uncle and by life, that experience is always the greatest of teachers.  And also the harshest.  If one does not see the wider world for what it is, then they have no business being an alchemist, I always say."  Lucan nodded in a faint bowing fashion before sitting back in his chair.  He'd have to remind himself when he went back to the hotel to purchase a chair like this with what meager funds remained at hand.

Lucan listened intently as the lord went on further to request the exact extense of what experience he had.  He was prepared to answer when Rhys continued.  Special attention, huh?  While he knew it wasn't his place to pry, yet he couldn't help but wonder what sort of care Lord Rhys sought that was more than normal.  He thought about it for a few minutes.  He couldn't mean he needed...  No!  Of course not!  The very thought was not only preposterous but highly inappropriate and the kind of thing one would attend a brothel for in the privacy of one's own time, not audition a potential employee for.  Besides Lucan himself had no inclination to ever go swinging in that sort of direction, no matter how much he would be paid.

He coughed as he regained his train of thought.  He took another much needed drink.  Clearing his throat, he sat up straight.  "Milord, it is not wise to discern precisely what case was worse than another.  Abroad, in places where it is health and well-being are second to economic survival, they are all bad.  While I've helped those with minor ailments, I never forget those who were sicker than I've ever seen.  There was one case, a woman who believed her daughter was being plagued by demons that were slowly and painfully killing her."

He sighed and adjusted the spectacles on his face.  "The first time I saw the child, her whole body had seized up, as if every muscle in her frame were contracted then relaxed almost immediately, one right after another.  She was very pale when it was all over, and looked exhausted, drained.  The nature of the disease, was, at the time, unknown to me and I crafted a potion from the natural flora there to help her control her seizures if she took it regularly, one dosage a day.

"She did, and for a while it appeared that she was getting better.  But then a new symptom appeared.  She was having great difficulty breathing, always gasping for breath even with normal activities.  She was by no means a heavy or large child, small and frail at best.  This part of her sickness worsened, however, even with an aloe vera treatment I'd given her, a tea brew called Ambrosia that would help regulate her breathing.  But nothing I did had any effect whatsoever.  She got progressively worse still, coughing up blood and looking thinner than a skeleton.  I did that best of what I thought I could do at the time.

"Then one night...  I was sitting by her bedside, watching over her for observation, when she had another seizure.  Nobody could have foreseen this one; it was too strong and too sudden for any of my potions to help her any.  When her body became sill, her eyes were looking at me.  Into me.  And even as she had suffered for so long, her face appeared relieved, at peace, as if she was just glad it was all over.  She whispered to me, an early inaudible thank you before she quietly, gently passed away.  Her mother was there and crying rivers of tears, more than I thought any human being could cry.  She left the room for it was too much to bear."

The alchemist remained very solemn as he recanted the tale and took a sip of the coffee.  Another breath and he crossed his legs and rapt his fingers thoughtfully on his right knee.  "That happened in my first years abroad.  And one case that I can't let myself forget even to this day.  Sir, understand that since then I have vowed always to give myself wholeheartedly to ensure that my patients are taken care of.  I feel that if I am to create anything that would fight an ailment decisively and effectively, my patients must be honest with me about what they have and in turn I will do all I can for them, no matter what.  I have taken many cases since then and have acquired a rather vast base with which to work from, comprehension of different degrees of heart ailments, breathing problems, even things like insomnia, and other sickness of a chronic nature."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Of course, Rhys knew that there were diseases out there that were worse than the gaeva. Sometimes, on rainy afternoons, his old apothecary would get the chills, and recall old cases that he had seen –  before settling down to work for House Stone –  that had been ingrained on his memory for as long as he could remember. Diseases that went beyond any help, diseases that made patients wish for death instead of continuing to struggle for life. So when Lucan began to speak, the High Lord readied himself promptly – but found that he hadn't been prepared, to hear him speak of a case that sounded almost... eerily similar to the gaeva, when it first began an attack on the bottle.

There were some similarities, between the young girl's case and his own experience, with his first gaeva attack. It was the mother's description of her illness that chilled him though – believing that demons were slowly, but painfully killing her. It was what his own mother had believed, back then, when he had been bedridden by the gaeva. There were key differences, however, such as the seizures and her coughing up blood – the gaeva, for him, had silently ate away at his mind, painfully, making every movement, every attempt to control his body, difficult and nearly impossible. But besides that, the disease sounded almost... similar.

He was silent for a moment, after Lucan had finished his story, processing it in his head. It was good to hear that he had dealt with other chronic diseases since then, and if the story he related had been the worst... then perhaps mixing the elixir that prevented a gaeva relapse would be manageable for him. Rhys, his hands still clasped together, looked up at him, his eyes solemn.

"The illness of that little girl... it sounds very similar to my own, or at least, how it acted when it first attacked me." He was quiet for a moment, for he had to take a second to push back the memories, but then he regained his composure – all business once again. "There were a few key differences – the seizures, her coughing up blood – but besides that, they were very comparable. I'd go so far as to say that what she had might've been a more severe strain of my own disease."

Again, he found himself wishing he had something to hold onto, to keep his hands busy. To be frank, Rhys hated talking about his disease, but it was the only way to make sure that Lucan Stromwell would prove to be a competent alchemist, capable of mixing the elixir correctly. "It's a relief to hear that you've experience with other chronic diseases," Rhys began. "My own disease is not typical, and thankfully, I've survived through the worst of it. Perhaps you've heard of it? It is a rare, hereditary disease, known as gaeva." He hated saying that damn word. Usually, if he had to talk about it at all, he'd call it 'his illness' or something along that line. The actual word tasted like bile in his mouth.

"Most people aren't as lucky as I am, and they do not survive the first attack. My father – Kia rest his soul – was skilled enough to find an apothecary who had seen the disease before, one who could nurse me back to health. But, with gaeva, the chance of relapse is very high. To keep it at bay, my old apothecary mixed an elixir for me every month. All that's left of the procedure are his notes, which are still in his old study; they have not been touched by anyone except him. But the actual process was never written down. He must've taken down hints and reminders, but did not write down the exact recipe."

The High Lord clasped his hands together tighter now – one might've thought he was praying. "What I need from my new apothecary is naught but one thing – to be able to mix the elixir that halts the relapse of the gaeva, and to do it before a month's time." His tone was neutral, but one might've been able to note the spark of hope that lay in his voice. "Do you think you'd be capable of such a thing, Mr. Stromwell?"

Lion

It was not something he would normally have spoken so casually about, nor brought up with an introductory meeting.  But the High Lord had requested to know what his worst case was, and he was not inclined to refuse a man of his station.  It bothered him, to say the least, for the first time he'd seen the girl start getting much worse, it was not something he'd been prepared to see, nor deal with emotionally.  He was not an alchemist, not a doctor, but there were few professionals that would willingly give up their time to help others without asking for some sort of retribution in return.  Lucan did not like talking about the incident any more than it seemed that the High Lord liked hearing it.  But what was said was said and he listened as Rhys managed words to react to what he'd just told him.

Lucan nodded in understanding and made no expression of judgment.  If anything his eyes were almost sympathetic for he'd seen many a bad case that would make uneasy people cringe upon hearing the details.  Another reason why talk of disease was left to the strong-stomached few.  He was glad to see that at least the High Lord was among the few who did, even if some aspects of his expression showed otherwise.

By now the coffee was gone and he set the cup upon the tea plate that had come with it.  Lucan sat up straight and folded his hands in his lap.  "It is very possible that she had something that might be in relation to what ails you," he said carefully, gesturing his hands.  "A disease that takes on many incarnations can be difficult to track."

As Rhys went on to mention the name of the disease, he seemed visibly shaken just saying it.  Obviously he didn't enjoy being infected with something of that nature.  Lucan nodded and breathed slowly, fixing his glasses again on his nose.  He had certainly heard of the illness, though admittedly had seen the effects of it with his own eyes.  Other alchemist had given vague, often shaken descriptions that were of little value and little reliance to the young man.

By the time he finished, Lucan began to realize the gravity of the situation at hand.  This wasn't just a job opportunity set up by a man who knew having a steady alchemist at hand would prove useful when necessary.  No, it was much more serious than that; perhaps something of an act of desperation vaguely expressed through the formalities of drawn out interviews of potential applicants all that so far had proved to fail to meet the criteria that the High Lord was looking for.  At least in Stromwell's case, he'd so far proved that he could deal with chronic illnesses that plagued patients in dreadful manners.  Something in him made him even more determined to prove that he was the right applicant for the job, for experience held the most weight in action, more than years of study.

"I understand what you mean sir, and I believe I am capable enough to accomplish the task you set in front of me.  I may not be your old apothecary, but I am intelligent and no doubt will be able to concoct for you an elixir powerful enough to prevent a relapse with your illness.  If you give me a chance, I can assure you that you will not regret this, milord."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

What made gaeva so incredibly difficult to deal with was not only its rarity, but its vague origins. It was a disease that could slumber peacefully in your bloodline for generations upon generations, rearing its ugly head only when it deemed appropriate, attacking and pillaging bodies whenever it pleased. Because its appearances were rare, there were not many alchemists who could even claim to have dealt with a gaeva case, or one of its many variants.

Some said that the disease might even be curable – if its origins could be discerned. But finding out such a thing seemed so impossible to most, that it was probably easier to say that it originated from demons itself, than to figure out the logical answer. It was a frustrating situation for all parties who had to deal with the disease, but Rhys Stone still held his head high. Despite it all, he had survived for this long – and he didn't plan on caving in to the disease now.

A ghost of a smile formed on his lips at the alchemist's decision to take on this task. With a flourish, he stood up from his seat, his expression a little less tense. "That's exactly what I wanted to hear," he said, and for that moment, maybe Rhys really was truly smiling – brightened a little with hope for the future, if anything else. "Let's not waste any more time, shall we?"

So far, he had not trusted any of the previous alchemist candidates with this task, but at the very least, he could give Lucan the tools he needed to get started.  He made his way over to the door opposite the one Lucan had arrived from, the door that lead into House Stone, gesturing for the alchemist to follow him inside. At this time of the day, the House was busy with the sound of working servants bustling through the corridors, holding baskets of laundry, shining up the floors – with the House being so large, maintenance needed to be kept up twenty four seven.

"Sir Hemlock, the old alchemist, kept his room private to everyone – even myself," Rhys explained, as he lead Lucan through the halls. "However, in this situation – given that you've shown me some promise – I shall give you the key to his room, so that you can comb through his notes, and use his equipment. It should prove helpful, I believe." Or at least, Rhys hoped it would prove helpful – Hemlock had not been a very organized man, so the notes probably would not be organized in any way that would be easy to decipher. Granted, at least giving him access to them, and the alchemist's quarters, was a start, a glimmer of hope.

"His room isn't too far from here – just a brief walk," Rhys explained idly, leading Lucan through the twists and turns of the House, as there were many servants in the corridors – it was easy to trip over some of them, who would be so engrossed in their work that they might not even see the High Lord himself coming. If there was anything that the High Lord loved about House Stone, it was how easily one could get lost in its spiraling hallways and unnecessarily complicated corridors. For someone who had just been in the House for the first time, it would be ridiculously hard to navigate. However, Rhys knew this House like the back of his hand.

For a trip that was supposed to be a "brief walk," it took quite some time before finally making it to Sir Hemlock's room. Rhys, who had hoped he would be able to stand outside this door, reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver key. On the key, a small red ribbon was tied around it – Hemlock's key. The room itself was secluded, away from the rest of the hustle, bustle and noise of House Stone.

Rhys took the key, and pressed it into Lucan's hand. "Think of yourself as a temporary employee," Rhys told him, his voice grave once again "Hemlock's room and living quarters is yours, for the time being. If you can manage to make the elixir within a month, or sooner –" His tone here might've indicated that the sooner it was done, the better, "Then you'll be hired as the alchemist of House Stone, no questions asked." He removed his hand from the key, and let his arm fall to the side. "I wish you the best of luck."

Lion

Talk was cheap and talk was dangerous.  And for someone like Rhys, it could even be deadly.  With what weight words carried to work others into a frenzy or lull them into dreams of gold and riches, action spoke tenfold.  It was easy to talk about diseases and illness and death and when it involved those close to you, that was when the prospect often became all too real.  Just as it was easy to say he could create an elixir that would alleviate the symptoms of the gaeva for a month.  He was sure the High Lord had heard it all before.  Lucan could have promoted a permanent cure.  Hell!  He could have promised the moon.  Though that wouldn't give Rhys any reason to believe that the alchemist could deliver.

One could easily see the determination in the young alchemist's eyes though, and through the courteous veneer of a grin as the High Lord welcomed him into the household.  At least for now and soon they were off.  Lucan found he couldn't even comment on anything when the High Lord took him to the old alchemist's chambers.

The trip was far longer than he imagined it would be, but he was glad for it.  Of everything he saw, he took note of, recording it in his mind and storing the information for later.  He had a photographic memory, or so he called it and generally did not forget the names and faces of those he encountered.  As for his surroundings, even as they were always ever changing, they were not ones he easily forgot when the moment was pivotal enough.  This moment was one such pivotal occasion.

Lucan still said nothing when Rhys revealed Hemlock's key.  He only could find that he was staring at the silver object with his mystified eyes and let the key be pressed deeply into the palm of his hand.  He saw again the desperation in the lord's eyes.  This time it was hard to miss and though he didn't know him as well as he would, Lucan was coming to realize the importance of this task more than just a job.  It was a life or death matter.  And Lucan could not fail him.  He nodded in honor to the offer and bowed his head in genuine reverence.

"I will not fail you, milord.  Thank you for this opportunity,' he said and took the key in hand.  He pushed it into the lock and turned it before disappearing into the chambers of the alchemist Hemlock.

~   ~   ~   ~

Three months had passed since the day he first turned the key in Hemlock's chambers.  If one looked within the room, the first thing they would noticed would be the messy array by which the room was organized.  Papers were strewn about on a large wooden desk that stood at the left of the room.  The room had at least two floors to it with the main room being the chambers to large potion bottles filled with unknown liquids, ingredients, metals, enchanting tools, poultices, calcinators, and other such things that would be long to an alchemist's array.

The first month of hire involved Lucan being confined primarily to Hemlock's chambers, burying himself deep into the amount of books that resided there.  The ingredients that were involved in making the elixir were difficult to decipher.  Though Hemlock had taken notes, they were encrypted and a pain to read.  The ingredients were taken down from the shelves and tried one by one, in the combinations he interpreted from the elder man's notes.  It took two full weeks of trial tests to finally come up with the right combination, most of the time being using himself as the guinea pig.  He could not risk giving Lord Rhys something that would very well kill him or make him worse.  It was not uncommon for Lucan to subject himself to his own concoctions and did not answer the call to anyone while he worked.  No one but the High Lord himself, or if the castle was on fire.

With interruptions kept to a minimum, the alchemist was able to create a potion that he knew was the closest possible match to what Hemlock had written down.  The ingredients themselves astounded him and some he figured would be deadly all on their own.  But together, they combined to make a potent elixir that had, when applied to the gaeva, was strong enough to suppress it.  Lucan had bit the proverbial bullet as he had delivered the potion just in time to the High Lord and knew that it had to work, for it was the only one available.

He had sighed with relief that he'd been able to recreate the same concoction the next two months as well.  It was a relief he was sure the High Lord had felt as well.  Today, he'd risen early in the morning and looked as if he'd been without sleep for at least three days.  He stood by the dawn-facing window which remained closed despite the heat.  He stood just in his white linen shirt, which stuck to him from the sweat of the morning heat, and his dark trousers and boots.  He was looking over a series of notes before he looked at the door expectantly.  He had an appointment to see Hearth today, the youngest child of Lord Rhys, who had found herself ailed by a small cough.

"Come in Lady Hearth," he called to the door as he heard a knock and looked up expectantly for her to enter.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Father was well once more, thanks to the dedication of their new alchemist, Lucan Stormwell. Young Hearth was more than glad to see her father in such high spirits again – she was someone who could not simply stand by and watch someone in her family be ill without her own heart hurting for them as well. When Hemlock had left, it seemed as if everything in House Stone was at a standstill – he had been the gear that kept them all running smoothly, for if the High Lord was not well, then none of them were. But the crisis had been averted, and life continued normally once more. But for Hearth, a life where Father was well only meant that he could continue looking for new marriage candidates for her with the same gusto and aplomb as before. Normalcy was bittersweet.

Another marriage candidate was supposed to be coming today – a man from a smaller noble house in Darken Vei, whose House was known for its mastery in forging swords and other weaponry, and was supposed to be one of the best in his province. He's a well-learned man, Hearth, Rhys had told her. But don't be too flustered! He may be a fast talker, but I'm sure he'll take to a sweet girl like you, no? If Hearth was scared of anything, it was people who talked too quickly, or did anything too quickly. She was a slow, deliberate person who liked to take her time and dance through life cautiously – she couldn't handle people who stared at her impatiently, waiting expectantly for her to speak, while she tried desperately to piece a response together.

She had been so nervous about the ordeal that she had taken a walk outside the grounds of House Stone in the pouring rain, trying to think of a way to deal with a man who would be talking quickly and would be demanding the same quickness for her. The rain had soaked her to her core, and it was only after one of her servants came calling for her that she realized how long she had spent outside. Needless to say, spending all that time out in the rain had given her a cough. She had been lucky that he hadn't caught anything more seriously, really. The cough was enough to get Rhys to cancel the candidate's appointment, but he did tell her it would be best to see Lucan, before she started her day. The last thing Hearth needed was to get sick – then she'd be even more incomprehensible than she already was...

Lightly, she knocked on the door, and Lucan invited her in promptly. She was thankful for that – the most awkward thing in the world could be knocking at someone's door and wondering if they were even inside or not. Young Hearth pried open the door slowly, poking her head inside, before finally stepping in the room, clasping her hands together in front of her. "G-Good m-morning, M-Mr. S-Stromwell," she greeted, at first looking towards the floor, but then eventually willing herself to look him in the eyes. It was rude, not to look at someone while talking, she knew, but it was hard for her to look at someone's face – where all of their emotions lay.

Hearth wondered if she should sit or not, but ended up standing awkwardly near the door. "I, um... I h-have a s-small c-c-cough, M-Mr. S-Stromwell, and F-F-Father advised that I c-c-come s-s-see you a-a-a-about it." She had never really talked one on one with their alchemist – but she held a great respect for him, for saving her father from relapse. "I-If y-y-you h-have a-a-anything I c-c-could t-t-take for it, I w-w-would appreciate it g-g-greatly..."

Lion

Lucan's glasses were smudged and dirty from the extent of usage in the dust of this room.  The chambers, though had been organized, had not been cleaned and there was still a fine layer of dust in the room , some of which had drifted down to the fine lenses of his spectacles.  He took them off and placed them in the collar of his shirt when he noticed that young Hearth Stone had actually entered of her own volition without him having to open the door for her.  Even so, the entry was as tentative as ever.

As soon as she emerged, the alchemist immediately put down what he'd been looking over into a desk drawer that was by the window, rumbling the odds and ends of alchemy from the calcinator, mortar & pestle, to even the human skull that resided there.  He appeared tall in the sunlight and tried to push back his unkempt hair.  "I'm sorry for looking like such a mess, Lady Hearth.  And this place being as untidy as it is.  Not proper for a new hire to live in such chaos is it?"  He smiled at the young woman to try and get her to relax.  There was nothing very frightening about getting some medicine for a cough, but the poor thing was so shy that he found it was only in her best interest to make things as comfortable as possible for her.  As Rhys had said, he wasn't just his apothecary, he was the apothecary for the entirety of House Stone.

He strolled over to the side and pulled out a stool for her to sit on.  He turned and walked about to a cabinet next to them, unlatched it and opened it with a creak.  "Well, Lady Hearth, I would be more than happy to give you something for your cough, but you know,  it is not always as easy as taking some medicine to make you feel better.  I'm afraid you're going to have to tell me how you got it, what kind of cough it is, and how long you've had it before I'm able to find something worthy of fixing you."

He pulled out an array of bottles that contained a wide range of items, most of them liquid and placed them on a table across from her.  He wasn't going to make this difficult, he just wanted to make sure she didn't get worse.  "Or, if you're really shy about the whole thing," he said gently and smiled at her.  "I can just see for myself.  Don't fret, I will try to make this as painless as possible."  Lucan stepped near her and gently prodded for her to lift her head up, where he began to gently prod his fingers long her throat.  "Okay now would you mind coughing for me, please?  Okay, now clear your throat."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

As Lucan pulled out a stool for her to sit on, tentatively, Hearth did so. She folded her hands in her lap, trying to look natural, calm, but she couldn't help but be a little anxious. While she had seen Mr. Stromwell here and there sometimes, she had never really been in his office before. She was always a little nervous when it came to meeting new people, especially if she was meeting them alone, by herself. But he was the apothecary of House Stone – someone Father trusted with his life, for good reason. She really had no reason to be so worried.

When he apologized for his office being a mess, Hearth shook her head fervently, not wanting him to think that she cared about how clean his room was. "N-No, it's f-fine!" she assured, truly not minding the mess. "Y-You m-m-must n-n-not have much t-t-t-time to c-clean, b-b-being so b-b-b-busy and all..." She knew what it was like – to be so enveloped in a task that the space around her became neglected. It happened all the time when she was painting, but the servants had always diligently cleaned up her space. But an apothecary might not want a servant putting away their things – how would they know where to file away everything?

But apparently, her getting some medicine could not be as simple as just asking for it. She knew all of the answers he wanted from her, but getting them all out in the open – that was the hard part. How was she supposed to admit that she ended up getting a cough in the stupidest ways – by sitting out in the rain until a servant had come running to find her? She would sound so pathetic, if she admitted that... But bit her lip, wondering where to start, but Lucan decided it would better for him to do his own examination.

She nodded, deciding that maybe that would be for the best to, tilting her head up when he gestured for her to do so. Her eyes widened as he prodded her throat with his fingers, but he was being gentle about it, as least. She coughed when he instructed her too, and cleared her throat at his command. The process of getting medicine for a small cough was troublesome, really, and she made a note to never sit out in the rain again.

Lion

Lucan had to laugh a little.  "You're just being kind," he said with a nod and a faint grin.  "But thank you.  It means much to have the apparent approval of the youngest member of the Stone Household.  Your father must trust your judgment.  And if he doesn't...between you and me, it makes him seem a little foolish.  You'd be surprised by how much adults could learn if only they learned to listen to their young peers."  The alchemist felt along the places of her neck gently, a ghostly touch but his face was kept solemn and deep in thought.  He didn't speak further until after she had done all he'd instructed her to do.

With that, he stepped away and towards the table where the bottles were.  "I'm afraid it's a little worse than I thought it was," Lucan admitted as he fumbled through some bottles.  "You'll be getting a bad case of strep throat really soon.  That is, unless of course you take one of these alvo leaves three times a day for a week.  You should be fine by then.  The taste is a little bitter, but ask the cook if you can dip them in some sugar or honey and they'll go down without a problem."  Lucan held a small leather pouch containing small, rolled leaves, he produced one of them and placed it in her hand to pop into her mouth.

"It's nothing that serious," he said as if it were any consolation.  He handed the pouch to her and smiled gently, trying to ease any worry she might have about her getting seriously sick.  He was the family alchemist now, he wouldn't afford to let any of them get more ill than they could handle.  Thus far he'd done a well enough job at maintaining his place here and he planned to keep it that way.

Lucan pulled out a stool beside her and took a seat near her, perhaps too close, and he looked at her with a twinkle in his eye.  A wry grin twisted his lips pleasantly and he crossed his legs.  "You were walking out in the rain weren't you?" he questioned in a guess.  How he would have known such a thing without asking around, was not easily explicable.  "You don't seem like the kind of girl that would go out walking in the rain just willy nilly, my lady.  So tell me, what was it that bothered you enough to stay out long enough to catch a cough?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Hearth felt a shiver run up her spine as Lucan's fingers danced up her neck. It wasn't really his touch that made her feel nervous, really, but his words. She bit her lip as he spoke them, and couldn't help but believe what he said was false. She didn't know whether or not Father trusted her judgment or not – she had never voiced her opinion to him, ever, and she knew for a fact that life was better if she could go along with everything he said, perfectly. But if he didn't trust her judgment, it could not make her father foolish – nothing could. How could she be a good judge of anything if she didn't even know how she felt about being married? Maybe it was better that Father was so adamant about getting her married, even if every fiber of her being seemed to scream out against it. Was the heart better at making decisions than the mind? If so, was it her heart or her mind that seemed to loathe her destiny so strongly?

The youngest member of House Stone clasped her hands together tightly, twisting her fingers to and fro as Lucan evaluated her status. Cornflower blue eyes widened as he spoke of it being worse than he thought, but at least he had something she could take for it. The alvo leaves weren't a cure she was familiar with – Hemlock had always watered down her medicine and slipped it into her tea, but as a result, she'd end up taking extracts of bitter cures for longer periods. Lucan's way seemed more practical, she had to admit – sure, the leaves wouldn't taste very well, but he was right – some honey and sugar might make it more bearable. A week was not so long to take medicine for a cough – and she clutched the pouch of leaves gratefully to her chest, glad to have such a simple cure for her illness.

"Th-Thank y-you," she murmured with gratitude, making a note to see the cook immediately after this. She wanted to say more – to thank him for being so efficient – but as usual, she knew the words would just jumble up in her throat if she tried. Hearth knew she should probably get going – staying around would probably be awkward, as he probably had a million things to do – but when Lucan took up a seat next to her, she figured he wanted to talk. She clasped her hands tighter, squeezing the leather pouch of rolled leaves in her grasp, wanting to leave but knowing it'd be rude to. He had helped her after all, but... conversations were definitely not her strong suit.

You were walking out in the rain, weren't you?

She bit her lip at the question, fumbling with her hands once more. How had he known? The servant who had found her wasn't known for being particularly chatty, but maybe it didn't take much for word to spread. The thought of her being a topic for some servants' gossip made her cheeks redden – surely, Father wouldn't approve of her being talked about by the maids and servants. "I... um..." She began, but he was reading her like a book. He was right, Hearth wasn't the kind of person who normally went outside period. Was that common knowledge around here too? That the youngest was a recluse who stayed in her room in the highest peak of House Stone, painting portraits of people she had never spoken to?

The last thing she wanted to talk about was anything pertaining to her marriage and her neverending list of perspective suitors that Father seemed to pull out of thin air. Father was so likeable, so charitable, that his list of friends in high places was as endless as the night sky – of course, he would never run out of suitors, and eventually, Hearth would end up getting married to one of them. There was really no way to escape her fate – and yet....

"I... It w-was n-n-nothing, r-really..." she began, but she got the vibe that such an answer wouldn't be suitable. But he seemed like he was truly interested in the topic – she couldn't fathom that he'd ask for the sake of being nosy. "F-Father, he... h-he had set up a d-d-d-date for me, to t-t-t-talk to a-a-another s-s-suitor, as u-u-usual..." Hearth continued, not looking at Lucan, but down at her bonny blue shoes. "T-The s-s-suitor, he w-was... a n-n-n-notorious f-f-fast-t-t-talker, and I... I c-c-can't... I m-mean, I g-g-get nervous a-around people w-who t-t-talk r-r-really fast..."

She was twiddled those fingers again. "I-It's h-hard... for m-me to s-s-speak with i-impatient p-p-people..." She bit her lip once more. "S-So I w-went o-o-out to th-think, but I... I g-guess I l-l-lost t-t-track of t-t-time..." She let out a deep breath – somehow feeling a little lighter that she had gotten it off her chest. "I b-b-bet... e-everyone th-thinks I'm a r-r-real a-airhead n-n-n-now..."

Lion

Anyone else sitting in the young alchemist's place would have felt a swell of pity in their hearts for the young girl that struggled to convey the idea that had caused her to walk out into the pouring rain in the first place.  But not Lucan.  He couldn't feel sorry for her, and wouldn't.  But that didn't mean he didn't sympathize and knew that it could nothing could be easy or simple with a condition like that.  He understood and looked at her with exactly that.  Perhaps she was another that was floating around to the tug and pull of those that dictated the world around her, her world.  There was no blame, it was the only world she knew.  In that, it seemed, they were something of kindred souls.  If in a slightly convoluted manner that was.

Lucan listened to her speak, and luckily for her he was a man of infinite patience.  He could wait forever if need be if only she said what she had to say, nothing more nothing less.  He did not look at her with expectations or rules or guidelines or laws or anything that said she had to speak a certain way at a certain speed, use large, articulate words, or sit up straight and hold her head up high or look him in the eye when she had something to say or to poise herself as a young lady should.  Lucan was a gentleman, learned and taught, but he was not a man of nobility or title.  All he needed from her here was for her to be herself.  And he smiled when she had done just that.

The alchemist had perched an elbow on his crossed knee and his fist under his chin, propping his head up and looking directly at her to show her that she had his full attention.  And when she was done, the wry grin to his lips faced and he leaned back in his seat a little, his head tilted in thought.  He pushed his sleeves up and knotted them up around his forearms.  He sighed and grinned again, open and welcoming.  "That is very interesting to hear," Lucan said and brushed a hand through his golden curls.

"Some people just have no patience, do they?" he jested lightly.  "But it is not...unexpected.  Young men these days are far too hot blooded and hot headed to truly know how to wait or the value of it in the first place.  But sometimes it's not their fault.  I'm sorry you couldn't meet the young gentleman, but perhaps it is for the best.  I don't think he would have known what to do with someone like you."  His tone was hardly an offending one and he nodded.

But his smile quickly faded when she said that last part, and his face turned gently stern.  "If they do, they are fools.  I don't think that," he said plainly.  "I think you are a very beautiful, intelligent young lady and any young boy in his right mind would not doubt fall madly in love with you on first sight.  You have much to offer, don't let anyone tell you otherwise."  Lucan put a hand on her cheek and let his thumb caress it a little before withdrawing.  "You do yourself a dishonor by letting such lies seep into that wonderful skull of yours.  But I do have one thing that concerns me, and while it might not be any of my business, and you're free to say so if it isn't...but have you ever considered telling your father what you've told me?  Do you even want to get married right now?

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Hearth wondered if her story was really interesting to hear – she doubted it, fiercely. He was probably just being polite, she figured, but at least his grin was open and welcoming, if anything. Whenever Hearth spoke, she was always so sure that whatever she had to say couldn't be so important that someone would willingly sit through and cipher her stuttering – but, if anything, Lucan didn't seem to mind listening to her, at least; that alone but her heart at relative ease.

She wasn't sorry at all that she didn't get to meet the suitor – she was only sorry that her illness had upset her father. It was bad enough that she should have such an unflattering speech impediment, but whether she took even slightly ill, Father was always more worried than anyone ought to be. She knew that it was because of his gaeva that he got more nervous than usual – the ultimate fright for him would be for one of his children to inherit his disease – but it was merely a cough, one that would go away soon, once she took these tea leaves. At the thought, Hearth pressed the leaves closer to her chest, as if she was scared she'd forget to take them.

At Lucan's stern face, but gentle words, Hearth shook her head, laughing a little – how kind, their apothecary was. "Oh n-no," she began, looking up at him. "Y-You f-f-f-flatter m-me, r-r-really... I'm n-n-none of th-those th-th-things..." she assured, and quickly turned her eyes away from her. And there was that chill running up her spine again, as Stromwell's fingers caressed her cheek. She was not used to being touched so fondly, even if the touch was casual. Her Father was really the only one who would bother with things like this – with Father, his touches were small presents to her, but she was not sure how she felt about Stromwell's fingers caressing her cheek.

But then, he brought up that word – marriage, oh, it was a word she loathed – and suggested that perhaps she should tell Father about how she felt about it all. At the thought, Hearth's eyes widened, and she leapt to her feet, her face in a panic. "M-Mr. S-S-S-S-Stromwell!" she exclaimed, her stutter particularly bad on his last name. For the first time, he looked him full on, making eye contact. "P-P-Please, y-y-you c-c-can't t-t-tell Father w-w-what I t-t-told you, a-a-about my s-suitor...! I... It w-w-would be h-h-horrible if h-h-he knew th-that I w-w-was...um... less th-than e-e-enthusiastic a-a-about it a-all..."  Her eyes grew wider. "P-P-Please, y-y-you h-have to p-p-promise!"

Do you even want to get married right now?

Hearth was silent for a moment – it was a question she had asked herself many times, but every time, she had always come to the same conclusion. "I-I d-d-don't know... wh-what I w-w-want..." She murmured, staring down at her shoes. "B-B-But I do know... th-that I w-w-want Father to be h-happy... And if b-b-being m-m-married w-w-will p-p-p-please h-h-him, th-then... then I-I'll do just th-that." Despite her strong words, her voice seemed to break.

Lion

He visibly straightened and sat up in his seat, uncrossing his legs when she just about exploded in his face.  But it was actually very amusing, in a way to see her make her point so very candidly.  He didn't expect that, certainly not from a girl so young.  Yet it was a good kind of fire, one he could admire and hoped she might cultivate as she grew older.  Lucan saw the potential in her and his eyes gleamed as he smiled.

"Lady Hearth, my dear, there's no need to be fret about it.  You have my word as a gentleman.  I won't say a word to your father.  Goodness good lady, by the gods, you seemed that if the sky were to tumble on your head, not even that would  be worse than if your father knew your sentiments.  It is all right.  I give you absolute silence on the matter to him," Lucan said, holding her shoulders and trying to calm her down.  "Trust me, dear, you have my word."  At this he couldn't help the light chuckle that emerged from his lips and he stood up reaching for her hand and shaking it in agreement.  His eyes glistened when he smiled again and he looked at her with a wry twist of his lips.

Soon his face softened to a sympathetic gaze as she went into her other part.  He held her hand still and cradled it in her own.  His eyes were filled with understanding and when she was finished, he was nodding and pat her hand before letting it go.  "You're very young, Hearth," noticing that he did not care to put the genteel title of 'Lady' in front of it.  Here, in the alchemist's chambers, they were on equal ground, she was not at court having to present herself to the province or the nation.  She was just here with him and he wanted to ensure her that whatever she said in here, would stay between them.

"I'm sure you'll have a long and healthy life ahead of you, if I have anything to say about that," he said with a joking grin.  "But, from what I can see here, is that you might not be all that ready to marry.  I would never overstep my bounds or abuse the trust I have with your father, so much as to tell him such.  Marriage is a serious responsibility and not something someone like you, I believe, is prepared to handle.  With marriage comes dealing with a husband who may not respect you, children, a home away from home.  But you know this, I'm sure you've thought about many times over.

"Now listen very carefully to what I have to say, please.  You want to make your father happy...to respect his wishes and there can be no nobler a cause than that.  But you want to be happy too, don't you?  Tell me, Hearth, what makes you happy more than anything in this world?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The apothecary's word was enough to put Hearth's mind at ease. She sighed in relief, noticeably less stress after he had promised to keep silent about the matter. That had been close – too close – and she really should take care not to speak in such a fashion about the suitors Father had chosen for her. If it was father's will then she really had no right to speak negatively about it all, not even in the slightest. Wasn't it best, to just go along with it? After all, even if she allowed herself to think outside of the box she'd been placed in, what good would it do? Any realization she'd come up with would lead back to the inevitable fact that there really wasn't anything she could do about it.

After an outburst like that, she wasn't sure whether it'd be best to sit back on the stool or stand awkwardly in front of him. After she had finished her bout, Lucan, who had been holding her hand throughout her drawn-out explanation, patted it and it go, which she used as clearance to take a seat on her stool once more, making sure to sit properly and smooth wrinkles out of her dress with her hands as she did. It was a force of habit, more than anything else. It calmed her a little as well – for the fact that she was having this conversation with their apothecary was enough to make her a little shaky. She didn't really like talking about this ordeal – even with her brothers, it was a subject she liked to avoid. But Lucan was warm and welcoming, and willing to listen – that was more than she could say for most people, easily.

Not ready to marry? She looked down at her shaking hands and wanting to refute that, but how could she, when it was so painfully true? The apothecary had finally put a name to this condition – and simply put, she wasn't ready. She couldn't even talk about marriage of breach the subject without getting sweaty palms, so how could she even go through with the actual act? It was such a simple way of putting it and yet it was an epiphany to her, but it was one that she hated – because if she wasn't ready, then how could she please her father? How could she become ready? And did she want to be ready? Somehow, it just made things more confusing...

Because the truth of the matter was, she hadn't thought about any of that stuff... at all. The fact that maybe Father might chose wrong and maybe the husband would not love her or respect her, the fact that a marriage meant children and the can of worms that opened up... Her eyes went wide at the very word 'children' and she pressed her hands to her cheeks, as if doing so would stop her face from turning red. This was why she didn't like talking about it! This was why she just went along with Father and did as he asked – if she thought about it, then... then suddenly, the hopelessness of her situation suddenly seemed very more real.

"Tell me, Hearth, what makes you happy more than anything in this world?"

She removed her hands from her cheeks, looking at Lucan curiously. What a strange question – what made her happy? (Wasn't this irrelevant in the grand scheme of things...?) "Um..." Hearth began, placing her hands back in her lap, trying to resist the urge to twiddle her fingers. Her eyes went back to her lap as well – she could only hold eye contact for so long. "W-Well... I l-l-like p-painting..." she began, thinking back to her room, her art studio, her sanctuary.  "I-I'm h-h-happiest wh-when I'm p-painting," she explained. "I-If I c-c-could s-s-spend m-my whole l-life p-painting, I w-would, but..." She took a deep breath, looking for words, but realized she wasn't sure where she was going with that train of thought. It was one of those awkward faults of her stutter – sometimes she'd take so long chugging through one sentence only to forget how the rest of that thought was supposed to go.

It was irrelevant anyway.

"B-B-Between y-you a-and I, M-M-Mr. S-S-Stromwell," Hearth began anew. "I p-p-probably a-a-am n-not ready to m-m-m-marry." She said this sentence in a tiny whisper, as if doing so would keep it secret. "B-But if m-m-marrying w-w-will m-make F-F-Father h-h-happy, t-t-then I m-m-must b-b-be r-ready." She paused, to catch her breath. "T-The s-s-sooner I can b-b-be r-ready, the b-b-better. H-His happiness..." she trailed off, placing a hand on her chest. "...is m-m-my own."

Lion

There was a strange essence to the apothecary's quarters.  Here, the two that lingered in the room deep in conversation, the atmosphere was not heavy, or leaden with expectations.  They were on a different ground here and the very air in the room seemed light, and the sunlight a little whiter than usual.  It seemed that whosoever stepped foot in here was stepping not just in a simple alchemist's office to be diagnosed, treated and sent on their way.  There was something more, almost as if they were stepping in another world altogether, and the exact nature of that world, it could not be described.  Like sinking your tired bones down on the softest of beds and drifting off to dream.  There was a near absolute comfort here and the last thing that Lucan wanted was for the young lady to be stressed out.

Lucan let her take her time as she confessed that joy which was her solace in this world that he could readily see did not appreciate her as much as she ought to have been.  But why should he care?  Why should the family alchemist who had just recently been hired give a damn about this woman-child on the cusp of adulthood and the issues that came with it?  What reason could he possibly have for wanting to even bother to listen to this sorry creature that had come crawling into his office with a cough?  Lucan did not see her as such a thing, but he knew how easily one could.  And he might have if he'd been a lesser man, but problems of importance were never placed on the plate of lesser men.  Perhaps she did not know how or why the alchemist would bother to listen to her, and perhaps Lucan could not be bothered to explain it to her.  But there was something about the child that compelled him, and he knew that change would strike her whether or not she was ready for it.  And it was his job to ensure that she was ready for it, whether she knew that or not.

She seemed almost taken aback by the what he asked her but he didn't seem to be at all surprised by this.  She seemed like the type that had always lived her life for others and had only just considered what she would want for herself and the fact that she liked painting, well, that at least was a pleasant hobby enough for a quiet, demure girl like her.  Lucan didn't expect her to be the type to go out and find trouble.  It seemed like trouble had a way of finding her.

The alchemist frowned as she confessed, almost as if she was resigning to her fate.  It was to be expected, but he found it disheartening nonetheless.  Still his eyes had a mysterious cloudy light to them and they almost seemed to fluctuate like the surface of water with a series of ripples passing through it.  Lucan put a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it in understanding.  "You're so young, you have so much life to live," Lucan said when he moved his hand to her face, caressing her cheek again.

"Well, you know what this means then?  Between now and then you'll have to have as much fun as possible while you're young," he continued.  He took his hand from her face in a fleeting touch, like a ghost almost, and moved his own stool back underneath a table.

"Why don't you show me some of these paintings of yours?  I'd love to see them, Hearth.  Of course, that's only if you'd be willing to show me."  He smiled a kind smile.  "Oh and please, call me Lucan.  Mr. Stromwell seems a little formal for here, I think."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

You're young, he had told her. You have so much life to live.

His words made Hearth freeze for a moment, her cornflower blue eyes widening for that brief moment in time. For all of her life, since as long as she could remember, she had lived in the moment, treating each day with care, never looking forward into the future, afraid of what she might see there. Scared about the things she'd have to think about tomorrow, and unwilling to look back in her past, to cringe at her previous mistakes, Hearth had trapped herself in the present, never wanting to look forward and back.

She did not set many longtime goals for herself, and if she did, they were normally about a painting project or what have you – but she did not live thinking about tomorrow. She had never thought that she might have a lot of life to live. Like someone diagnosed with a terminal disease, Hearth treasured today and didn't even think about the future. She couldn't bear to do it. But now, here she was.

And he was right though, wasn't she? These days that were coming – she'd have to hold them close to her heart. Because one day, she'd get married, and all of these little things that made her happy – painting from her room in the tallest point in House Stone, being with her family, her brothers and older sister – one day, they'd all go away. So she smiled a little, and nodded firmly.

"Y-You're r-r-right," she acknowledged, and a small, tiny bit of determination was sparked in her first. "I-I've g-got to s-s-start treasuring the t-t-time I h-h-have more o-often... O-One d-d-day, it will a-a-all be g-g-gone."

Her cheek had turned a slight shade of red after being touched by Lucan – he was very gentle with her, and he seemed so understanding, even though she hadn't really come there to dump her problems on him. Hemlock had never bothered much with her, although she had loved him, for he was amicable in his own way. Gruff, tough, and fair – that was how Father described him, but Mr. Stromwell, he was a bright ray of sunshine, and Hearth wondered if he knew it. She hadn't expected him to, but somehow, he had made her ordeal seem not so bad after all.

When he asked to see her paintings, Hearth stood up from her stool, her cornflower blue eyes widening, giving off a 'deer in headlights' look. "M-M-M-My p-p-p-p-paintings?" she asked, her stammer suddenly worse than ever. She bit her lip, bouncing a little on her toes from nervousness, wondering if he would really enjoy looking at such a thing. Hearth looked down at the floor, then, tentatively, she snuck a glance up at him, trying to gauge if he was being serious or not. But Mr. Stromwell didn't seem like the type to joke around with her about a matter she took so seriously, and so, Hearth nodded again, clasping her hands together to stop them from shaking. "O-Of c-c-course," she finally obliged, smiling a little. "I-I'll g-gladly sh-show you th-them."

It was always a nerve-wracking thing for her, to show someone her paintings. They were her soul, exposed, and if someone shouldn't like them, well, it would always strike her harshly. But Mr. Stromwell, he didn't seem like the kind of man who'd say anything to hurt her. And to top everything off, he didn't even want to be called Mr. Stromwell, but Lucan! And her eyes were wide once again. She didn't even call her speech therapist by first name!

"O-Oh, I'm n-not s-s-s-sure if I c-c-c-could d-do th-that..." Hearth muttered, but then realized that she should at least try, because he was being so nice to offer this to her in the first place. "A-Ah, b-b-but, I'll t-try!" Gently, she opened the door to his office, gesturing across the hall. "M-My r-r-r-room is r-right up the s-s-spiral s-staircase," she pointed out, twiddling her fingers together. It was a long flight of stairs, and she had purposedly chosen such a room because it was so hard to get to. "A-A-Are you s-s-sure you w-won't m-mind th-the climb?" She wanted to test out his name, but felt that she couldn't – it was something she might have to ease herself into.