Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Around the Campfire

Started by Anonymous, September 14, 2011, 08:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The soft, rhythmic sound of a brush could be heard in the evening air as Nellie slowly groomed one of their draft horses, a huge, bulky animal that was good for pulling a heavy wagon and little else. The second draft and her father's war-stallion were hobbled nearby, browsing on the sparse shrubbery around them, content after a thorough grooming. She always tended to the horses at the end of each day, except their hooves, her father still did that most of the time, although he was trusting her with the task more and more. It always made her happy when her father trusted her with a new chore, and she loved learning practical skills that her father was always happy and eager to teach her.

Her long, honey-blonde hair was woven into a long braid that hung down her back. Every morning her father would brush and braid it for her, it was a ritual of sorts that they'd followed since she was a little girl. Always they would discuss the day ahead as she sat and enjoyed the doting her father gave her.  Placing the brush aside, she led the passive animal over to where the others were hobbled and secured him. He joined his two comrades in nibbling on the local flora. Nellie moved to the fire and stirred the coals, pulling her heavy wool cloak tighter around her. It was cold around the mountains, and she hated it. Mostly because she knew that it made her father miserable.

Speaking of misery, Tatsu was lying by the fire, blankets heaped upon him as he leaned against their wagon. His eyes were closed and Nellie suspected he was already asleep. He always became lethargic when they travelled through cold places. It made her all the more eager to reach somewhere warm and spend a few days basking in the sun, selling what artifacts and trinkets they had stumbled upon at their leisure. She smiled at this thought and fetched her pot, slowly mixing water, rabbit meat, and some vegetables together for a nice hot stew. It was a bit lonely being way away from the cities. They rarely ran into other travelers, and while she loved her father's company, she did miss getting to socialize with other young people. Maybe she would finally convince her father to set up a more permanent shop this year, somewhere nice and warm where they wouldn't have to travel to cold places ever again.

Scythe-Nova

Cold far to cold for Ikki's liking but unlike many other places only some rare plants grow in these cold enviroments and of course the plans she had collected were worth the trouble enduring this cold weather. She brushed some of her bangs of her face and yawned lightly and as she looked sideways she stopped in her tracks when she saw a campfire on a bit away from where she was.

-"Oh a campfire... Hope they are friendly.."

She said to herself and straightened the straps on her Apothecary Chest and started to walk towards the campfire and the people there. Her Wooden geta sandals made a distinctive clopping sound as she walked and when she got closer she looked at the two people that were there and raised her left hand waving at the person that were awake.

-"Excuse me but you wouldn't happen to be willing to share the warmth of your Fire tonight?"

She said with a frinedly smile as she stopped a few feet away from the fire looking at the woman who sat in front of the fire, Ikki's dark rings showed clearly as the light of the fire hit her face, her expression though did not show any signs of tiredness.

Anonymous

Nellie heard the footsteps approaching, and under her cloak she was clutching a dagger that was sheathed at her waist. Her eyes glanced in the direction of Tatsu, but he didn't appear to have stirred from his resting place. The young woman's hold on the dagger relaxed as she got a good look at their guest, and she returned the wave tentatively. Standing and dusting her hands off on her cloak she smiled warmly at Ikki.

"Please, a friendly face is always a welcome sight. I've got a stew on, it should be warm enough shortly."

Nellie quickly busied herself, moving to the wagon she pulled out three bowls and spoons, as well as a spare blanket. The eating utensils were set by the fire and she offered the blanket to Ikki.

"Here, it is chilly, this will help keep you warm. My name is Nellie, and that's my father, Tatsu."

She waved a hand dismissively at the resting man. If you looked closely, you would see that his eyes were just barely open, gazing absently at the woman that had joined them.

Scythe-Nova

-"Ah Thank you"

She said and took the blanket that the woman offered to her with a smile she then put down her Apotecary Chest next to herself before wrapping the blanket around herself and looking towards the man that Nellie gestured at and she stopped in her tracks immediately looking at the with supprise before it turned into a smile.

-"Pleased to meet you My Name is Ikki Talorim I'm a traveling Apothecary and Alchemist"

She said and bowed respectfully towards them both before straightening up and smiling friendly at Nellie, She then Gazed over to Tatsu and tilted her head before looking back at Nellie with a slightly worried expression.

-"Is he okay? He does not seem too well.."

She asked and looked back at Tatsu before closing her eyes and started to feel for his Qi, she became quite supprised at what she found out from his Qi. She Opened her eyes again and looked at Tatsu with a gaze that understood what he was.

Anonymous

Nellie beamed at the woman as she wrapped herself up. She had always had a penchant for fussing over others. It was in her nature to look after others. After all the wonderful things Tatsu had done for her over the years, how he'd taken her in when she had no one and nowhere to go. It was her way of trying to pay back the goodness that had blessed her life.

The girl gave a slight curtsy in return to Ikki's bow, following her gaze to her father. Her brow furrowed softly as the strange woman asked if he was alright.

"He'll be okay, he's just cold. Once he gets warmed back up he'll be just fine."

Tatsu's eyes had opened slightly more, gazing intently now at Ikki.

Scythe-Nova

-"Hmmmmmm"

Ikki looked at tatsu for a second or two before sitting down next to the fireplace with a smile, She looked up at Nellie with a friendly expression as she wrapped the borrowed blanket around herself more snuggly

-"Well if you say so, I'm sure i can trust a dragon to look after his own health anyways"

She said with a playfull smile before she reached out for her Apothecary Chest and placed it next to her before opening it revealing it's contents(There's a picture of it on Ikki's Profile) As well as an opening into a much larger room inside the box almost as if it were a portal, She pulled out a smaller wooden box that she set aside next to herself before looking back at Nellie.

-"You would not happen to have any water perhaps?"

She asked as she pulled out a metal teapot that she set next to the small box while looking at Nellie.

Anonymous

Nellie had settled back down by the fire, stirring the stew idly before freezing in place as Ikki called her father a dragon. Of course she knew what he was, but it was not information they were keen to spread around. Some humans thought to kill or enslave dragons for their own selfish gains. Laughing nervously she threw a worried glance at the woman.

"A dragon? I think you're, ah, mistaken."

Tatsu shifted slightly, rousing himself from his languid state. His glacier eyes were now fully open as he sat up a little more, arms folding across his chest as he eyed Ikki up and down, sizing her up, as it were.

"Nellie, you know better than to lie. I must ask...how did you know?"

Scythe-Nova

-"Ahaha... Well it's easy to figure out when you feel one's Qi"

She Explained with a friendly smile as she opened the smaller box and took a small handfull of what the teamix that were there and put it into the teapot. She then reached in with her hand into the chest and into the gateway then pulling out three clay cups.

-"Not to worry though i Know better than to get on the bad side of a dragon"

She said with a friendly smile before looking back at Nellie and tilting her head cutely.

-"Did you have some water?"

Anonymous

Tatsu was tempted to ask more about this Qi that the woman spoke of, but wasn't sure if it would be polite or not to ask. It would not be honorable to be impolite to a guest at his hearth, so he opted to keep his questions to himself for the time being. He raised a brow at his daughter.

"Our guest requested water, do try not to let your flustered emotions keep you from being a polite and accomodating hostess."

Nellie practically jumped into action, muttering polite apologies first to Tatsu and then to Ikki before fetching a skin of water from the wagon and offering it to her.

"Sorry, few recognize my father for what he is, and we prefer that as few know as possible. I let my surprise make me rude."

Her cheeks were slightly red with embarrassment. She had disappointed her father, and that was something she hated to do.

Scythe-Nova

-"Oh thank you, And dont worry anyone would react like that inthis situation"

She said as she accepted the waterskin with a friendly smile, She poured some of the water into the teapot she had before putting it on the fire next to the pot with stew in, She then turend to Nellie and handed her the water skin with a smile.

-"Here you go, Would you like some tea?"

She asked and looked at them both with a smile and put the small woden box back into her apothecary chest again reaching in with almost her whole arm. After that she began making herself comfortable and sitting in a very refined manner((Japanese Sieza)) Looking at the two with a friendly expression.

Anonymous

Nellie smiled faintly as she handed over the skin and moved to stir the stew once more before ladling some into each bowl. Taking the skin when Ikki was finished with it, she handed her a bowl in return.

"Tea sounds nice with supper, thank you."

Returning the skin to the wagon, she took a bowl of the steaming food to her father, who took it with a simple nod of gratitude. In better spirits now, Nellie returned to her place and lifted her own bowl up, inhaling deeply for a moment before taking a bite. It was a simple meal, but Nellie didn't mind, she was lucky to have anything at all, let alone her freedom and a father that adored her.

Tatsu ate in silence, but Nellie was looking curiously at Ikki.

"I don't mean to be rude, but why are you out here all by yourself? Isn't that dangerous, and lonely? I couldn't travel alone."

Scythe-Nova

-"Oh Yes it can be a bit dangerous out here but one learns how to avoid trouble after some time"

She said with a smile and took a gratefull bite of the stew before she smiled appreciative and put the bowl down after another bite and then she took the teapot she had and started to pour the tea into each of the three cups she had.

-"As for what i'm doing around here, I was gathering reagents for some of my medicines, ah Here you go"

She said and handed Nellie one of the teacups and then she handed one to Tatsu with a smile, She then picked up her bowl of stew and placed her cup of tea next to herself.

-"It's My special Herbal Tea, it should clear out any minor problems"

She said with a smile and took a sip from her own tea before umming at the good tast of the tea. The tea was a combination of diffrent herbs with some medical properties so it helped with small things like colds or rashes, and it also had minor Healing properties so it would help to heal smaller cuts and brusies if one had some.

Anonymous

Tatsu listened to the conversation with interest, but did not join it. Nellie was the one that enjoyed being around others, not him. It pained him at times, to think how lonely she must get with only him for company. He had been her father for ten wonderful years, but perhaps it was time to let her go. The thought was an unpleasant one.

Nellie listened politely as Ikki spoke. She found the other woman interesting. There was no chance she would be out here without her father. Bandits and brigands crossed her mind as good reasons not to travel alone.

She smiled and murmured a thanks as she was given a cup of tea, Tatsu took his cup with a bow of his head, but he seemed to be distracted with his own thoughts. Nellie took a sip of her tea.

"It tastes good. I thought medicine was always bitter. Also, you practice medicine? That's so interesting. My father and I are antiquities dealers. We've made a decent living off of it. Enough to get us by with relative comfort. Well, it would be greater comfort if we didn't have to always go find them ourselves. I keep telling father that we need to set up a permenant shop and let the adventurers bring the treasures to us."

Scythe-Nova

-"Hehe Yes i practice medicine, an very old kind of medicine though"

She said with a smile and litsened to Nellie when she talked they themselves were doing out here, antiquities dealers? That's a nice job ikki thought to herself as she nodded while listening to Nellie.

-"Well there are some benefits to traveling around the world"

She said and took another bite from the stew in her bowl, She then looked at Tatsu and tilted her head looking like she were thinking about something. She then looked back at Nellie.

-"Antiquities... is there any books amongst your items?"

Anonymous

Nellie smiled faintly, looking away and gazing into the fire when Ikki said their were benefits to traveling the world. Yes, back when they first began travelling the idea had appealed to her greatly. And she had seen much of the world and learned many, many things. The sights she had seen, the memories she had made, they were grand, but she grew weary of travel, of being unable to make lasting, close friendships.

Tatsu stirred at the mention of books.

"I have collected many books over the years, most are never sold. Books are far too valuable to entrust with just anyone. Was there a particular kind of book you were looking for? I may have something of interest to you."

Books. Now that was a subject that greatly interested him. Enough to even rouse him from his weary melochany.

Scythe-Nova

Ikki smiled friendly at Nellie when she saw her expression before looking at Tatsu who seemed to take interest in her mention of books, She Nodded and reached into her Apothecary box and pulled out a rather heavy looking book that she placed in fron of Tatsu with a slight smile.

-"I do not actually know the name of the language in this book but nobody i have met could read it at all, It's a book on Alchemy and Medicine so i guess it's that kind of book i'm looking for"

She explained and opened the book showing the strange texts from an ancinet language, Ikki had learnt to read the texts from her master and had under her travels never found anyone who could read it besides herself. She had found many books with the same language though that she had taken with herself because no one else could read them.

Anonymous

Tatsu scooted forward as she presented the book to him. His brow furrowed slightly as he traced his fingers along the writing thoughtfully. Slowly he tapped the page that was open. He had seen and collected many books, and this was not the first time he had encountered this language. At least he was fairly certain that he had seen it before.

"You know, I think I have a couple books in this language. Let me check."

Standing up he climbed into the wagon and rumaged around. It took a few moments to find the books he was looking for. They were large, ancient volumes bound in leather. Dragging them out and setting them down he carefully opened the book, showing the first of them to her.

"I believe this is the same language. I cannot be certain, however, because I'm not able to read it."

Scythe-Nova

Ikki Scooted forward and leaning over to look at the text in the book, Her eyes darted over the text reading with incredible speed she then looked up at Tatsu with a large smile.

-"Yes this is the same language"

She said and looked at Tatsu with an wide smile as she straightened up and sat as she normaly did. She then closed the bok Tatsu had taken out and looked at the text on the leather Cover of the book.

-"Oh, This.. This is a book my Fath.. Master made"

She corrected herself and looked at the book with a somewhat nostalgic look in her eyes.

Anonymous

Tatsu nodded in satisfaction when his thoughts of it being of the same language were confirmed. He watched as she closed the book and then stated that it had been made by her Master. That was truly interesting.

"Hmm, it was written by your Master? Ah, well if that is the case, why do you not keep it? I have many books, and this is one I cannot even read. It will be of more value to you than it could ever be to me."

Nellie perked up, having listened to the conversation. Her father had taught her to read and write in several languages, but she had never taken a huge interest in books. However, she smiled brightly at the idea of giving this girl a gift.

"Oh yes, that is a wonderful idea, Father. Please Ikki, won't you take it? We really don't need it, and if it was made by your Master then I'm sure it will mean more to you than to us."

Scythe-Nova

-"Oh.. ah.. well if you insist"

She had planned to at least give them some gold for the book even though tatsu had insisted but she gave up on that idea when Nellie also insisted that she should take the book. Ikki Smiled at the two thankfully and bowed to them both in a respectful and thankful manner.

-"Thank you"

She said an rose from her bow smiling thankfully at them both before she lifted the book up carefully and placed it on top of the other book she had before looking at them both again.

-"Would you like more tea?"

She offered and picked up her teapot while tilting her head cutely and smiled happily at the two.