Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Moving To A Different Beat

Started by Anonymous, September 16, 2011, 05:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aidain was used to attention from his people now. He had been a small baby, it was said, but apart from that his true heritage had always shown in his stature. Now he stood at six feet five inches tall, a giant even amongst the Serenians that were his mother's people, and being such a height meant that he constantly had to find new clothes. They had tailors in Reajh, of course, but he found that he preferred the work of the craftsmen and women of Uthlyn to the more easily accessible work of those in the capital. Here in Uthlyn he could find a tailor who would make him his simple clothes of good material. His father's wife sometimes complained that the church had made a peasant of him, but it was usually good natured criticism rather than barbed insult, and the young knight was happy to bear it if it was the price he paid for calling her mother.

It was mid-afternoon as he made his way from the inn where he had lodgings to the tailor whose services he required; both buildings were rare in Connlaoth in that he could stand up straight in both of them without hitting his head on a beam or a chandelier or the ceiling. In more normal buildings he made the effort to sit as soon as possible; he didn't like to slouch his shoulders, he liked his posture straight. As straight as his swords, which were back at the inn with his armour and his squire, who had been out whoring with Aidain's permission the night before and was still sleeping off the hangover. The lack of iron about his person made the music he heard in his head louder, but he had learned to let it fade into the background, for the most part. Occasionally, however, usually around magical creatures he found upon logical analysis, an added harmony would show up, and when it did Aidain would get nervous. Was the music really harmless? Or was it magic, as he suspected? He couldn't seem to do anything with it, but the ways in which it changed... He wished he could find someone who knew the answers without any law breaking occuring.

But that was by the bye at the moment because the music had changed. There was a deeper addition to the bass, an older sound to it, not unpleasant, but deep, so that it made his jaw tingle as if receiving the music through his teeth. Looking around Aidain saw nothing that seemed out of place, but someone close by was not what they seemed. Need for new clothing forgotten, the hard to miss knight stood still and scanned to crowds around himself again, trying hard to find the missing piece in this puzzle that might set his mind at ease.

Anonymous

Nellie moved slowly through the crowds of Uthlyn. Her eyes were wide as she stared at everything. Occasionally she would grab her father's arm and point excitedly at something. This was her first time in Uthlyn, and she was quite overtaken with the city. In fact, this was the first time in ten years that she had even stepped inside the boarders of Connlaoth. Any memories of the country were vague and distorted. Her father had not wished to come, but she had insisted on seeing the place of her birth. The place her biological parents had called home.

The girl herself looked extremely well in place, with her short stature, long, honey-blonde hair, light skin, and bright green eyes, she could have been a native. At least, were she not wearing a simple green wool dress that was very obviously not Connlaothian. Still, she received few looks. Travellers from other countries were not unheard of, and as long as they obeyed the laws, they were tolerated. It was the man that walked beside her, who towered over most everyone there, that got all the wary looks. Tatsu walked at his daughter's shoulder, eyes more interested in the people than the buildings. With his white hair, great height, and icy eyes he did not look at all like he belonged in this place.

Anonymous

Aidain noticed him after a moment. The man who could match gazes with him without having to stand on a chair. A man whose gaze Aidain caught and met for a second before a slight tipping of his head in recognition of the man's presence. Of the being's presence. Even without the tune playing in his head, Aidain was sure that the ice-eyed man was no Connlaothian. The young female with him may have been of Connlaothian stock - by which Aidain meant she was more of Connlaothian stock than he was - but the man was something Other all together.

Unlike some, who were giving the tall man wary looks that they had long since neglected when it came to Aidain, the Connlaothian Knight regarded the man with a sense of equality, and noting the girl pointing at things he decided to take the initiative and introduce himself as a tour guide. He always got curious around magical creatures, and his clothes were unlikely to mark him out as dangerous, even though he was. When required to be, at least. The quality might mark him out as not-poor, but he could live with that. This man and his ward - he saw nothing of the man in the girl at all - need not know that he was a Knight of the Church.

"May I make myself of some use to you, sir?" he asked politely, approaching the pair. "I can lead you to those places where it is easier for one of our stature to stand."

He didn't know for sure what business the being had in Uthlyn, but he would only find out be attaching himself to the pair. And if it turned out that their business was dangerous for Connlaoth - and the stare of the tall humanoid suggested that danger could be arranged - then Aidain would do what he could to prevent such business from occurring.

Anonymous

Most people of Connlaoth were short and Tatsu looked down upon them, eyes flitting from face to face for traces of danger or ill-intent. Although he remained poised, back straight, movements flowing and untroubled, being in this place greatly disturbed him. Was he afraid? No, not really. Fear was not an emotion he was familiar with. What he felt was more along the lines of dirty. Being among these people made him feel unclean. Everything they stood for, was against what he was, what he was born to be. It practically made his skin crawl. That he felt branded, wearing their shameful 'mage's mark' made it all the worse.

As his gaze passed over the crowd, his eyes wandered up, and then further up. There was mild surprise to see someone of the same height as him. People even close to his height were extremely rare in this kingdom. For a moment, their gazes met, and Tatsu completely stopped, letting his icy stare pierce into Aidain, his mouth set in a thin line. Was he dangerous? Oh yes, very dangerous. Could he cause trouble? Most assuredly. However, Tatsu was not in Connlaoth for trouble, he was there because his daughter had begged him to bring her.

Reluctently he let his gaze drop, not wishing to engage in a staring contest. It would have pleased him to be on his way, to leave Connlaoth entirely right then and there. He couldn't leave. Not without Nellie, and she wasn't ready to leave, he knew. It was too late. The man approached them.

Tatsu's jaw set hard at the offer of assistance. Nellie quickly stepped between the Connlaothian and her father, smiling tightly at Aidain. She had brought her father to Connlaoth, she did not wish for anything to happen to him, the guilt she would feel would be more than she could bear. "Blessings upon you, Sir. I find it terribly odd that you would be interested in assisting someone bearing the mark of a mage. I appreciate your kindness if it is genuine, but if it is not, I would ask you kindly to begger off."

Anonymous

The mark of a mage? Aidain had been too caught up in the novelty of someone matching his height to notice it, but now the girl mentioned it he saw it. Still, it was a mage mark, not a mark a magic user would willingly take, and it was obvious to Aidain that both man and girl were not Connlaothian raised, so he bowed his head.

"I was raised by the church," he said, a little awkwardly but truthfully. "We are taught that magic is bad, but that mages are to be admired for their fighting of their nature. Many are wary of that mark, it is true, but I am not such a one, and although my offer was made without my seeing the mark, it still stands. To both of you, of course. It was rude of me to merely address your father, and for that I apologise."

He was amused by the girl's language, which seemed almost archaic in one so much younger than he was, but he made sure to keep himself serious, so as not to offend any one. People could be touchy at times.

"In truth I have always been a little unsure of why we make passing traders wear the mark," he added. "It always leads to more awkwardness, and that does none of us any good."

The law was the law, of course, and Aidain wasn't going to speak out against it officially. Everyone was entitle to their opinion in Connlaoth, and this opinion was not too radical. Nor one that he voiced to often. He was a knight, after all. There were certain rules even he had to obey.

Anonymous

Nellie lifted her chin, standing at her full, but terribly unimpressive height, which was much less than both the two men she stood between. Still, her eyes flashed fearlessly. No one was going to give her father a hard time because he was not human. She had first-hand seen what humanity could be and frankly, she was unimpressed. They had no business bothering someone as honorable and good as her father. Although standing there, practically feeling the presence of her father radiating against her, she wasn't quite sure which of the men she was actually trying to protect.

Her eyes darkened as he spoke and she opened her mouth to interject, but clicked her teeth together as she felt her father's hands settle onto her shoulders. Mages were to be admired, were they? For fighting their nature? Her fists clenched and her teeth grinded together as she wished desperately to tell him off then and there. How dare they! Making people ashamed of who they were, of denying themselves!

Tatsu could feel his daughter quivering in fury under his touch. He knew that she thought he could do no wrong, and if he could use magic, then there could be no wrong it in. He did not agree with the Connlaothian view of magic, but he could not and would not deny their right to believe what they wished to believe. His tone was low and soothing as he spoke softly to his daughter in a tongue that few alive would recognize. "Mash'der, ai lorda tob'al, rumir nada resk'ai."

Nellie's expression fell, she looked away. Tatsu looked down at her for a few seconds, eyes softening momentarily. As he lifted his gaze back to regard Aidain he spoke in common. "Your offer is appreciated, this town seems built around the shortness of Connlaothians, which is not very accommmodating to someone of my stature. Our horses are stabled comfortably already, but we have not yet purchased rooms at an inn. If you know of one more tolerant of outsiders, especially those that are...inhuman, we would be most grateful. Wouldn't we, my little one?"

Nellie muttered softly to herself, which earned her a soft squeeze on her shoulders, to which she looked back up at Aidain and forced a smile at him. "Yes, of course."

Anonymous

Aidan was not unaccustomed to the face that the girl pulled. He had seen it often on the faces of travellers to the church as a child, and without knowing the full history of Ansgar and the schism between the Connlaothians and the Serenians after the destruction of Fell it was fully understandable. The man appeared to think so too, talking to the girl in a language that Aidain did not understand, then to him in common.

"The inn where I am staying is tolerant of all comers as long as they have coin, and mage marks where the law considers them necessary. I myself am half-Serenian, and I believe the owner's wife wears a mage mark. If you do not wish to answer it is fine, but might I ask what kind of magical being you are?"

He wanted to know, to have something to associate that deep harmony in his head with, but if the man didn't want to give that information away then it was fine also. the old freedom of speech thing worked both for what you wanted to say and what you didn't, and Aidain had other things he wanted to say.

"I am sorry that our laws are so strict, young one," he said, as the girl forced a smile for him. "But we have our reasons for them, which I can tell you, if you wish. Although I will admit that my squire is much the better storyteller when he's not hung over. I am Sir Aidain Istyn of Reajh, but since this is informal Aidain will do just fine."

Anonymous

Tatsu knew more about Connlaothian than his daughter did, even if the blood of these people flowed through her veins, she had been raised away from the culture. If she had been allowed to grow up here, as it should have been, then she would be wary and mistrustful of him as well. He didn't like to think about that. What would have been is not what was, and he was thankful for that. His daughter was human, but he loved her with all his heart just the same. No bond of blood between father and daughter could be stronger than the bond he shared with Nellie.

He listened politely as the man suggested the very inn that he was staying at. His first, most primal instinct was to simply flee, as far and as fast as he could. His honor and pride would never allow him to run, though. Also, while he had no interest in making friends while he was here, he knew that his daughter needed to interact more with her own kind. He worried for her well-being, it could not be healthy for a human to only have a relationship with her father, who was not even human himself. Also, he knew that she enjoyed getting to talk with people closer to her own age, and he lived for little else than her happiness.

"It sounds as if it will be as good a place as any to stay in this city." He didn't know just how long Nellie wished to stay. Perhaps this encounter would encourage her to leave. Once they had a room, he might just hide for the duration of their stay. It would give his daughter a chance to have her independence, and it would give him needed rest and an excuse not to deal with people that he did not like and who did not like him.

When Aidain asked what kind of magical being that Tatsu was, he couldn't help but give a slightly smile that was far from friendly. His voice lowered as he leaned just slightly towards the young man. "The dangerous kind." Nellie snorted and shot her elbow back to catch him in the ribs, which made her squeak and rub her elbow from hitting the hard armor. She settled for glaring at her father instead since hitting him hurt.

Turning her attention back to Aidain she glowered at him too, just for good measure. "Young one? I'm sixteen, thank you very much!" She folded her arms across her chest and gave a light stamp of her foot, doing little to prove that she wasn't a child.

Tatsu chuckled at his daugther fondly. Placing a hand over his heart he bowed to Aidain respectfully. "We are honored, Sir Aidain, of Reajh. I go by the name of Tatsu Drake, and my daughter is Nellie." Nellie put one fist over the other, close to her body and curtsied to Aidain, she would not forget her manners, no matter how irritated she might be at the gentleman.

Anonymous

The man accepted his advice, and Aidain just nodded, glad that things seemed to be going ok. Not brilliantly, but ok. He didn't want to push away someone that it didn't give him a sore neck to talk to; even though they would obviously part ways eventually and the man said that he was dangerous Aidain found himself quite liking the company of people whom he could just be less tense around, and so he bowed deeply as the young woman made her dislike of his wording known, and as the man completed the introductions.

"My apologies, Miss Drake," he said sincerely. "Beauty makes my head swim, and my tongue runs away without consent from my brain."

He could have turned the charm on to a greater extent, but decided not to. Nellie was no simpering court maiden, and Tatsu was no chubby old lord; Aidain had noted the reaction that Nellie had had to trying to elbow her father, and judged that the man was wearing armour under his clothing. There was no law against it and Aidain thought it sensible in fact; while he was accepting of those with the mage mark others - usually less educated thugs - could be less accepting, using it as an excuse. If you killed someone with a mage mark and could 'proove' that they had been using magic then you could get a reduced sentence. Armour under clothing was sensible for a trader forced to wear the mark.

"I have some business at one of the tailors' just up this street, if you wouldn't mind my tending to that first? There's a nice little eating establishment a few doors down that has tables outside for those too tall to fit in the door."

Anonymous

Actually the encounter was going fairly well, if you were to ask Tatsu. He was not being accosted, and despite his disdain for most Connlaothians, he found that he did not feel that Aidain was much of a threat. Not that he didn't think the young man could be, but he could sense that the intentions were pure and without malice. He had not expected to find many accepting of him, let alone willing to try to make his stay more accommodating. A brow raised when the man addressed his daughter, his lips forming a thin line as his eyes flashed icyly.

Nellie looked Aidain up and down, finally giving a slow smile. She, at least, seemed somewhat appeased by the apology. "I will accept your apology, Sir Aidain, just try to refrain from implying that I am a child in the future." She nodded curtly, as if to assume that settled things.

Of course, when he mentioned that he was headed for the tailor her entire face lit up. "Oh, a tailor!" She turned to her father, practically bouncing in excitement. "Oh father, can't I get a Connlaothian dress? I want to wear a dress like my mother would have wore!"

Tatsu snorted. "You may have your dress, you know I would move the moon and sun and stars just to see your smile, but it will be much finer than a simple farmer's dress. We will get you one fit for a queen, you know that you are my little princess." Nellie clapped gleefully at the thought of a pretty, fancy new dress. Tatsu doted upon her too much, perhaps, but when someone was your whole world...well, what else could he do?

Anonymous

"Now that both my brain and my tongue are aware of your age, Miss Drake, I assure you no indications of childhood shall be made. And might I be plain Aidain to the both of you? We are in a street, not in court or on a battlefield, and the Sir makes me feel ancient."

It seemed that his visit to the tailor would become part of the trip; he thought of directing them to another tailor, the one that his mother used when she was in Uthlyn, then decided against it. The tailor he used was just as good, probably better in terms of making clothes that would be both eye catching as Nellie seemed to wish to be and practical for a traveller.

"No doubt my tailor will be delighted to make an outfit for you, Miss Drake. She has been trying to get me to dress to my rank since I first saw her at fifteen. Without success, as you can see. I know of none better than she in the city."

He started walking, leading them on their way up the street to the tailors, ignoring the looks from his fellow Connlaothians as he had done for longer than he could remember, pointing out little shops in nooks and crannies that he thought Nellie might enjoy on her own in the near future.

Anonymous

Nellie pursed her lips slightly as he asked that they call him simply Aidain. She clicked her tongue lightly, glancing at her father for guidance on what to make of the informality he requested. Tatsu gave her a flat look and raised his brow at her questioningly. He couldn't completey baby her forever, she was going to have to learn to decide what was best on her own, rather than relying on him to decide for her. Especially now, as Tatsu could feel her aging heavily and knew that it would not be much longer until his daughter left him. He had to make sure she was prepared for being on her own.

When Aidain told her that his tailor would be happy to make an outfit for her she smiled, shaking her head slightly as she followed him down the street. "Now see here...Aidain...If I am to speak to you informally, then will you not at least do the curtesy of treating me the same? My name is Nellie, 'Miss Drake' is hardly necessary."

Even as they walked, Nellie began noticing something. Her lips turned down in a frown as she looked from one Connlaothian woman to the next as he pointed out shops to her. It was the women that she became more curious with. Finally she couldn't hold the thought in any longer. "None of them are wearing dresses! Father, you, you...You were never going to buy me a Connlaothian dress! They don't wear dresses!" Her face flushed slightly in embarressment, and Tatsu laughed as he walked beside her.

"I am sorry, Nellie, but I will still buy you a fine Connlaothian outfit. I know you've never worn pants, but this is what Connlaothian women wear. These are the types of clothes you'd have worn your entire life if you had grown up here."

Anonymous

Aidain smiled as he saw the young woman looking to her father for guidance, and noted that Tatsu didn't seem to give it. At the age that Nellie was at he had already been a squire for over a year, and so had had his own initiative because the man he had been squire to had expected it, but he guessed that for females and for non-Connlaothian females in particular things were different. He nodded as she told him to call her Nellie, and smiled again as she noticed the fashions of his country and berated her father, who responded calmly to her, nodding at what the other man said.

"It's less obvious within the city walls, but we get very strong winds here," he explained. "Dresses are just impractical for the normal work done here, so although some of the ambassadors or their female kin may arrive wearing them, and we've heard of them, we tend to wear what is practical for us. The prices may seem a little steep at first, but the clothes are top quality, and aside from growing out of them rarely need replacing. May I also suggest a winter cloak to go with the outfit? A good thick cloak from this tailor has saved my life more than once."

Aidain's slim body was not suited to harsh winters, nor to Connlaothian society as a whole. It was why he was as yet unbetrothed even at the age of 22; he had money coming to him, and a title, and brains too, nobody could deny that, but his looks were outlandish and it might be that he carried a seed of magic in him even if he himself had shown no talents in that area. But his recommendation was for the travellers, not for the sake of his tailor's purse. No doubt they would already know the value of a good cloak, he was just informing them of the superior quality of those this woman made.

Anonymous

Nellie pursed her lips slightly, thinking the whole concept over. By birth, she was Connlaothian, so this should have been familiar and natural to her. If things had not gone the way they did, if she had not come to be in the care of her beloved father. Still, she thought it odd for a woman to wear pants, but she was also curious. More than once she'd envied her father for his lack of skirts to deal with while tending to camping chores. If Connlaothian women worked as hard as she'd been told, then maybe pants were a lot more practical, and maybe she would come to like them. Vaguely she wondered what her father thought of her interest in these people. She hoped that she was not hurting his feelings.

Tatsu remained quiet, studying his daughter intently from time to time, but his face betrayed no emotions. This trip had not been his idea, but he really was torn on how he felt about it. He knew that some day he would have to bring her here, but he had secretly hoped that it would not have been for at least another couple years. She was so curious! So fascinated with the Connlaothians, and he knew why. How often did he himself long to be with his own people? It was only natural that she wanted to be here, wanted to see and hear and know everything she could about this place.

Nellie smiled and stepped up to walk beside Aidain, having to tilt her head back to look up at him so she could actually look at him while she spoke. "A fine suggestion, Aidain. Since you are a Connlaothian yourself, would you be so kind as to help me select the finest fabrics available? I would like to look like a good, proper Connlaothian lady."

Anonymous

He didn't know what was going through the heads of his new acquaintances, but when Nellie moved to stand by him and raised her head to look at him while they talked he nodded simply.

"I myself go for the less fine fabrics on the whole, Nellie, but I'm sure we'll be able to find something suitable."

he would be sure to choose not the finest cloths but ones that would bear up to the ravages of travel; he was aware that Tatsu seemed to have no problems with paying for whatever nellie chose but he was a practical soul himself and a frugal one. The outfit Nellie was going to get would cost more than the one he was aiming at getting for himself, but it would not, if Aidain had anything to do with it, be the most expensive you could buy. Why would it be, for someone who travelled?

They reached the store, and Aidain ducked inside, holding the door for the two outlanders as the tailor looked up from the table where she was sat drawing and raising an eyebrow as she noted the mage mark on Tatsu's clothing.

"And what can I be doing for you, sir, madam? I can already see what needs doing for master Aidain, another inch on the length isn't it?"

Anonymous

Tatsu entered wordlessly, giving Aidain a nod of thanks at holding the door for them. He noted the look he received and quickly moved to lean against the wall by the door, glancing around at his surroundings. The shop was slightly unusual for Connlaoth, the ceilings were taller than many of the other buildings he'd been in and he noticed, not without appreciation, that he was not forced to stoop within the walls of the shop.

Nellie smiled and gave a polite curtsey to the tailor. "Blessings upon you, Ma'am. This kind young man highly recommended you." She straightened herself and flashed Aidain a quick, brilliant smile. "I've been informed that I am impractically dressed, and wish to remedy this. My...my mother was Connlaothian, and I wish to have a nice outfit of the kingdom."

She had almost said her parents were Connlaothian, but threw a glance at her father to see if he had noticed. Would it hurt his feelings for her to speak of her original father? She could barely remember the man, but she loved him dearly. She also dearly loved her adoptive father and did not wish to bring him any distress.

"Oh, Si...ah, I mean, Aidain, also suggested a heavy cloak to guard against the winter winds."

Anonymous

The tailor's face lit up when Nellie said that she wanted an outfit; of course the girl wasn't wearing pants now, but she had seen others enter in similar outfits and buy nothing, so she shot Aidain a grateful glance even though the knight was once more watching Tatsu carefully, still trying to figure out his part in that great song in his head. Only when the tailor slapped his hand lightly did he start looking at the fabrics she had in the store for his new clothes, as the tailor herself set about eying Nellie up.

"Going to need to take some measurements, miss," she said, locating a measuring tape and looking over at Tatsu. "And you sir? Would you be wanting a cloak too?"

The woman took Nellie's measurements as she spoke, speaking them out loud for a clerk in the corner to write down, then led the girl over to where Aidain was looking at materials.

"Green and black are the colours of Connlaoth," she informed the girl as she looked at the course materials over Aidain's arm with a weary sigh. "And greens would bring out your eyes beautifully. just don't let master Aidain talk you into the cheaper materials that he's so fond of."

Anonymous

Nellie smiled and made sure to cooperate for her measurements, she had been measured many times for new outfits in the last ten years. Much less fequently once she had stopped outgrowing them so quickly, of course, but she still replaced them as they wore out, and had at least a few changes of clothes. Her father had always made it a point to ensure that she would be well-dressed, if generally her clothes were simple enough not to be ridiculous for travelling.

Tatsu ignored Aidain's stares, very much aware that the young man was quite interested in him. It made him uncomfortable. Not only was he branded like some criminal with the law's mage mark, but also he had to endure looks of fear, hate, and curiosity. He glanced at the tailor when he asked him if he would be wanting a cloak. "I don't plan on wintering in Connlaoth." He said simply, looking to the floor, and pointedly not looking at his daughter.

Nellie gave her father a soft frown, but followed the tailor to the materials. Looking over them thoughtfully, she glanced at what Aidain had and chuckled at the comment about being talked into cheaper materials. "I do love green. I'm not familiar with what materials are considered most valuable in Connlaoth, and while I can appreciate practicality and function, sometimes a girl just wants to dress up and look pretty."

Tatsu shifted uncomfortably in his position at the door, muttering softly to himself in that strange language that he had used before. Nellie turned and made a face at her father. "I'm sixteen! Boys are supposed to be looking at me. I swear, if you had your way you'd dress me like a little doll forever." She folded her arms across her chest, glaring at her father.

Anonymous

The tailor bristled slightly at Tatsu's reply but seeing that there would be no arguing with the man despite the fact that cold winters were not exclusive to Connlaoth she returned to her table by way of a cupboard, from which she had pulled both the previous templates for Aidain's outfits and some blank template paper upon which she started sketching shapes for Nellie's clothing, which was much easier than for Aidain because Nellie at least had the good grace to be Connlaothian in stature.

Aidain, meanwhile, was looking at materials while Nellie scolded her father again; the man had used that language that the young knight knew nothing of, and Nellie had obviously taken offence, as well as proving herself more than socially adept, which made Aidain smile.

"You should look at materials, Nellie," he suggested, picking on out that was a mixture of greens which might do well as an overshirt. "What do you think of this one?"

Anonymous

Tatsu barely gave the tailor another glance. She could be irritated with him all she liked, his daughter might have been interested in local fashion, but her personally didn't care much for clothes. He wore what was comfortable under his armor for the most part. Of course he'd taken to covering his armor in Connlaoth. It brought slightly fewer looks. Unfortunately he still left his sword with their horses for the time being. No one would be able to steal it, he doubted there were many alive that could even lift it.

Nellie turned away from her father, scowling softly as she looked at the material that Aidain was trying to show her. Pushing her father's sullenness from her mind, she smiled as she reached out to feel it. "I have to say, I do like the colors." Green had always been her favorite color. Thinking over the materials and colors available to her, she touched a few different pieces of fabrics, trying to see how they felt to the touch, wanting her new outfit to be at least somewhat comfortable as well as pretty.

"Maybe black for the pants, maybe this?" She lifted a black material that she liked the look and feel of, smiling up at Aidain to see what the thought. If her father was going to be unhelpful and grumpy then she'd just have to get some opinions from someone else, and Aidain seemed at least willing to entertain her desire for a Connlaothian outfit, unlike her father that seemed unhappy with the idea.