Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Put Some Madness to the Method

Started by Lion, October 30, 2011, 02:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

The stream took a bend to the right, toward the west, away from where he headed now.  "It was a physical pain," he clarified, in the event that she was wondering.  "But anything that might have been emotional, was squashed a long, long time ago."  He nodded to her and began towards the east.  "Here in the north, you might be surprised to find how many settlements there are here that are no longer occupied.  Here we will be alone long enough for you to learn what I have to teach you.  It's secluded enough to remain hidden, but easy enough to find if you need to find it."

The settlement which he was talking about was indeed well hidden, for it seemed as if what they were walking toward was little more than a rising snow covered hill.  He began to walk around it, rather than toward it, and it soon was visible that the hill was actually a roof that was built partway into the ground, as was the rest of the cabin. The room was of a lean-to fashion, and steps were carved out toward the entrance.  Vandryn walked toward the entrance, and made sure to look around them carefully before opening the door and welcoming her inside.

Inside the cabin, a fire was already burning in the corner hearth, though it was dying low.  It was a single room, but wide and larger than it appeared from the outside, with a rustic look to it..  "Welcome to my temporary home," he said, working on the clasp of his cloak.  He undid it and threw it on the antlers on the wall that served as a coat hanger.  "What, you didn't think I would actually stay in that rathole of a tavern would you?  Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to have standards.  If you are hungry, there's fresh venison cooking by the fire."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

Dorothea nodded to him; physical pain was physical pain. She'd had her share of it, but it only made you stronger. If you didn't let it kill you, or beat you down emotionally, physical pain was actually a welcomed thing.

As she entered the snowy-hill of a house, she couldn't keep the smile from her face. It was such a great place to stay. Unless you knew it was here, you wouldn't find it. They would not be disturbed while staying here. It was perfect. She set her pack down, hung up her cloak to dry and took a seat by the fire, helping herself to the venison.

Lion

The warmth was a welcomed change to the growing cold outside, from the looks of it, it wasn't going to get much worse.  He'd trained his body to adapt easily to whether and allowed himself to get sick if only to train his body to kill more illnesses.  Yet, if he didn't have to stay outside, he wouldn't.

He was curious though, as he took off another layer of his coat and hooked that on the antler too, leaving him in a robe tunic, about having run away.  There was a small hint of doubt that had been planted when she'd mentioned the word slave.  And something he should have asked beforehand.  "You said you ran away, right?" he began, moving to a pot of hot water that boiled in the furnace.  He grabbed a log right next to it and threw it in, grabbing the pot as well.  "How do you know you're not being followed?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

Dorothea chewed at a piece of venison and stared distantly into the flames, as if she were seeing something else entirely. She shrugged after a few minutes, finally turning to look at Vandryn. "I ran away years and years ago," she said. "They followed me for a while... but I haven't seen any of them in over five years. I doubt they've been able to track me this far. And they're not as strong as me, or you for that matter; even if they ganged up together, we'd be much stronger just you and I."

Lion

He chuckled again as he fixed himself a cup of spiced tea.  He didn't drink much, for it fogged the mind, and his mind was fogged enough with Mat'nacht's constant interference, but there was a shot of bourbon in there, just for flavor and it was a personal favorite of his, easy to make too.  But as he held it in his hand, he offered the drink to her instead, and placed it on the ground near her before getting another cup for himself.

"So whatever tracks they've found, you were long gone by then," he muttered.  "Just tell me something Dorothea and try to be as honest as you can: Just how strong do you think you are?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea nodded a thanks as he set the drink down beside her. She carefully chewed another piece of the meat before taking a large sip of the drink. As she swallowed the drink, she cleared her throat. "I'm strong," she began carefully. She realized that she did not want to come across as arrogant to Vandryn. It was odd, but Dorothea found herself wanting to make a good impression. That was very much unlike her. "I'm strong, I know that. Stronger than average, I'm sure. But I'm not the strongest, and I definitely could be stronger... I want to be stronger." She glanced up at him carefully.

Lion

"That was a very good answer," he noted with a nod.  "Careful, calculated.  But just so we're clear, whatever you think you know...is not enough to prepare you for what I'm going to teach you.  Is that understood?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea smirked, turning her body to face him completely. "I'm sure I'll learn."

Lion

Vandryn liked her enthusiasm.  "I'm sure you will," he said, sipping his tea...  "You'll have to be ready for anything...at any MOMENT!"  At that point he struck out at her, throwing his arm backwards toward her neck in an attempt to reverse close-line her.  Perhaps it wasn't a good impression to attack her out right, and she probably thought he was crazy.  But he never told her that training would begin immediately.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea gave a startled cry, but threw herself to the side in an attempt to get out of his arms reach. She laughed delightedly and scrambled to her feet. "Oh, goody," she said, grinning at him. She stood ready and waiting for his next move. "This will be so much fun."

Lion

He missed.  She was just full of surprises wasn't she!?  For some reason Vandryn knew she'd move fast, she had the flighty look about her.  He stood after a chuckle and took off his tunic to allow more freedom of movement.  "You move fast...for a little bird," he said with just a hit of condescension.  He stepped closer and put his hands up, loosening his body until every joint would move like water.  Vandryn studied her for a moment, before launching a fist toward her face, quickly coupled by another headed toward her gut.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Despite his scars, there was something very appealing about Vandryn, she realized. Maybe it was the fact that he was her new teacher, maybe it was his intelligence and skill, maybe his demeanor, his willingness not to baby her or treat her lesser because she was a woman. Whatever it was, she struggled to hid the blush she felt rising in her cheeks as he removed his tunic.

And then, he was rushing at her again. Dorothea dove, not as gracefully as she would have liked, towards the side, his hands just barely grazing her stomach. She could feel the air rushing past her face as she moved, disturbed by their sudden quick movements. Supported by one hand, down in a bit of a crouch, Dorothea grabbed at his ankle farthest from her and pushed it away from her, hoping to bring him down face first. She knew it was a pretty pathetic attack, but it was what was immediately available for defense.

Lion

Boy, she was fast!  Vandryn knew he'd have to start mixing it up.  When in doubt, up the ante.   He wasn't going to take it easy on her, not one bit and when he had the chance, he pulled a small dirk from the underneath the band of at his waist, that was hidden from plain sight.  He centered it at the base of his palm and let the blade come out from between his middle and index finger.

He let her push his ankle away and dove for her with the blade in hand, attempting to pin her to the ground, and slashing the dirk at her arm.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea saw the blade a few seconds too late. As he fell towards her, wielding the blade, she threw up on hand and grabbed his wrist, attempting to keep it away from her. With her other hand, she threw it up, hitting his opposite shoulder with the heal of her palm as hard as she could. She tried to then slip out from underneath him. Dorothea flashed a grin at him. "This is fun," she said.

Lion

Vandryn could not be distracted by her smile, and gave a thought as to that being her intention.  When he was set on a task, it would take all the legions of hell to tear him from it.  He put all his weight on her and stuck a knee in her gut and pressed into it to hold her down.  He was two hundred pounds of muscle and while he was sure she was stronger than any average human, he did his best to make himself as heavy as possible.

He pushed his knife-wielding hand toward her chest, actually struggling some against her hand that held his wrist. His other hand grabbed onto her other wrist at his shoulder and tried to twist it away.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

She gasped as he knee pressed into her abdomen, and as he pressed down harder Dorothea found she could not take in as deep a breath as she needed. For a split second, she wondered if his intent was to kill her and take her blood. She swore loudly; there was NO way she'd die this way.

Dorothea pulled her hand away from his shoulder, grabbing the blade with her hand, the sharp metal digging into her flesh; with all her strength, she pushed the blade away from, towards the side, and tried to slip out from underneath him.

Lion

He was so close, the knife was near her heart, and he could make her bleed if he just put a little more pressure on her, plunging it through her as if she were little more than a slice of bread or cheese.  If he listened close enough he knew he could hear the rapid pacing of her heart as she now tried harder to shove him away.  Mat'nacht whispered something in his ear and he knew he could take the blood from her without wasting his time teaching someone who was weak and worthless...  But it was just like Mat'nacht to dismiss everyone that wasn't Vandryn as weak and worthless.

He did press her harder, knowing he had the advantage of size and weight.  But she gave him the slip and shoved the blade away from her, making the force he put down on it go askew and threw his arm of at an angle.  He fell with the blade and the steel dug into the wood of the cabin floor.  Quickly he rolled off her and to the side, plucking the dirk out from the wood.  He stepped back and grinned a bloodthirsty grin, "Almost had you there..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea stood in a crouch, not taking her eyes off him. She scowled at him. "So, teacher," she spat, "you've become sick of me already? You've already decided I'm worthless, have you? I won't be giving you any blood. None whatsoever." She inched backwards a bit, towards the cabin door. Dorothea was closer to it than he; it stood, almost calling to her, just a few feet behind her back. Freedom was calling.

Lion

Vandryn sheathed the weapon.  But his lava-red eyes stared at her for a moment.  "You think I was trying to kill you?" he laughed.  "Trust me if all I wanted was to kill you, you would have been dead the moment you sipped that tea I gave you."  He grinned.  "Come back here," he motioned her gently.  "You didn't do so bad for you first test.  You move fast, but your technique needs some work.  This was your first lesson and you learn fast, I'll give you that.  And it's good that you don't expect me to ease up on you.  Please, have a seat, there is much to discuss."  He sat back down on the bench, straddling it, as he picked up his own cup off the ground, then sipping the tea for himself.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea gave him a wary smirk and chuckle. "It will kill me to even try and trust you," she said, taking a seat against the door. She glared knives at him. "I am curious as to why you haven't killed me yet. Do you lack the ability-- surly that must not be the case, although I promise you I wouldn't stop fighting until my end-- or do you lack the will?"