Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Put Some Madness to the Method

Started by Lion, October 30, 2011, 02:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Vandryn rushed toward her and lead with a kick headed straight toward her gut, intending to stomp her into the corner if need be.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

Dorothea raised her hands, hoping that she could use a shield. It would be more useful if she could keep him from even hitting her: although her shields didn't often work well like that.

Lion

Vandryn smashed his foot into her gut, delivering a powerful blow unless she turned on that wonderful little gift of hers.  In that case, there was plenty more where that came from.  The kick made him take a step back and he went at her again, this time with his knee, aiming for her gut once more.  "You're just gonna let me corner you!?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Clair

The shield worked. It started forming, not quickly enough to save her completely from the first blow- although it weakened it significantly- but as he came at her with his knee, the shield took form. It was like glass, from the outside, with a faint green glow, and there were green veins that pulsed, turning slightly darker as they pulsed, running through the glass like shield. As soon as Vandryn's knee came in contact with it, it repelled him backwards.

Lion

Vandryn was thrown back, taking him by surprise.  This was it.  That was what he sought...  If he could make a potion to mimic that same effect, there was a lot more he could do with it than he thought.  Vandryn rolled backwards and stayed in crouch form as he watched her, faintly astonished and grinning widely like a child discovering a new toy.  "That IS a wonderful gift!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

The shield, as quickly as it had formed, faded away. Much to Dorothea's dismay, the shields normally didn't last long. That was something she had to work on. She hoped Vandryn would be able to help develop it. "I know," she said, nodding, but there was no arrogance in her voice. "It's a rare gift of my people; also our most powerful gift... but because my parents were slaves, they could not teach me in the arts of it..." She scowled; there was bitterness in her voice.

Lion

Vandryn put on a twist of a smile, as was often made with his torn lips.  "And what exactly are your people?  And why wouldn't your parents think you were strong enough to wield such a thing? ...I think they were afraid of you, secretly even.  They say power, makes a man insane...  If only they knew what to do with it.  Maybe they were unsure what you might do if you were taught."  He stalked around her, having stood from his crouched position.  "What would you do...if it were fully developed?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea smiled, a cruel and twisted smile. "They were terrified of me. Their master, who at one time called himself master over me, told them they weren't to use any gifts they possessed or teach their children in any gifts they were born with. My siblings gladly obeyed, but it disgusted me. It was my birth right, passed down through generations, and I mean to use it for power." She said the last piece lazily, as if it weren't a big concern. "Some day, I will be strong enough to control nations, but now I know I'm not yet powerful enough."

Lion

"A coward and a weakling," Vandryn murmured.  "You were right to leave them...  They would have only held you back."  He crossed his arms over his chest and strode toward the door.  Though the cabin had no windows, the door had a slot on the side, and he pulled a lever that opened a flap that allowed him to look outside.  The snow was worsening.  Unusual but not unexpected.  "And what would you do with these nations if you had control over them?  What kind of chaos would you plunge the continent into?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea shrugged and joined him at his side by the door, looking out at the snow. "I would be able to do as a please..." she murmured. "I would control people, they would love and fear me." There was a glint to her eyes, though they seemed distant and a smile played at her lips.

Lion

Vandryn thought about what she said for a moment, wondering if teaching her to reach her potential wouldn't just make her a more potent enemy for him in the future.  He knew it was possible.  She seemed quite like him in the aspect that she wouldn't hold allegiance to anyone beyond what their agreement entailed.  He had half a mind to ask, but knew it would be a foolish question.  When they were done, it would be best to sever all ties.  And what she knew of him would vanish as footprints in the snow.

"To control..." he repeated, staring out into the whiteness fluttering to the ground.  "And how would you go about doing that?  Become queen?  A High Lady?....Kill one perhaps?"  Vandryn looked at her through his lava-red eyes, and put a warm hand on her arm.  "When do you know you will be strong enough?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

She wasn't sure what sort of title she would use... she thought Queen wasn't good enough. Empress, maybe? Dorothea didn't really know.

As a warm hand touched her shoulder she glanced down at it, her breathing drawing in sharply. Unaware of it herself, Dorothea leaned into the touch rather than pulling away. She looked up at him, searching his red eyes with her green. "I'll know it... when I do..." Dorothea said, unsure exactly how to phrase what she meant and felt.

Lion

Vandryn could admire the ambition of the strange young woman.  She had a lot of it and he couldn't help but wonder if some of it would backfire on her.  Would all her plans be realized?  He couldn't very well advise her not to do it, but he knew that he would have to keep more of close eye on her in the event that her actions threatened himself.

He had roughened hands and he squeezed her shoulder, giving a nod in understanding.  They were more alike with every word, but he could find nothing to say, only in drawing his arm around her shoulder and holding it there.  "I'll make sure you reach your...maximum potential."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea smirked and leaned closer to him. She couldn't help but feel a sense of comfort with him there... as well as the conflicting mistrust. Glancing back at him, she nodded her head to him. "Vandryn, if you remain a loyal teacher, I will remain a loyal student," Dorothea spoke softly. "When I achieve what I've set out to do, I can tell you truthfully that I won't turn against you... unless of course you do something against me."

She knew it wasn't really a promise she could keep, but for some reason, it felt right to say it. Vandryn wasn't stupid; he would know how fragile that promise was. Her green eyes now looked back over the snow; the stark contrast of her vermillion hair and emerald eyes was brilliant against the whiteness outside. Despite hating the cold, Dorothea appreciated the snow for bringing out her most beautiful features.

((ooc: Did you get my last PM? :) ))

Lion

[Yes I did.  I just forgot to reply.  I'll get to it as soon as I can, but I get off really late tonight, so it'll have to wait till then.]

He laughed then and nodded.  "I'll take it for now.  There's no determining what we'll do in the future, at least not without aid.  And words are empty until proven.  But we shall see, we shall see," he nodded.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

[[Okay! ^_^]]

Dorothea smirked up at him, raising one hand to touch his arm around her shoulder. "And you, Vandryn," she said softly, "where do you plan to do with your future?"

Lion

Vandryn was used to the warmth, the heat of dragonsfire from the mountains of the Thunderblacks, but he'd trained his body to adapt to weather quickly.  Adapt or die.  But he felt a tingling of warmth return on his cold skin when she touched his arm, and snapped his head at her to give her a narrowed eyed gaze.  "Plans...hahahahaha...I leave the plans to those with big dreams of world domination, stately affairs, cutthroat politics, that sort of thing...  I make it my job to break those plans when the moment suits me.  When the job pays well...and I go wherever Mat'nacht calls me to go."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea frowned, disappointed but simply nodded. She did not move away from him, and kept her hand against his arm. She stared out at the snow and sighed. "I guess, one day, I will be stronger than you and you will hate me for it."

Lion

Vandryn shook his head.  "You might be stronger then me one day.  And who knows, I might end up working for you.  For a time, maybe.  Until you find another razor-face more desireable than me," he chuckled and kissed her suddenly, briefly and deeply before pulling away.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Clair

Dorothea gasped as his lips pressed against hers, and struggled to hide the disappointment from her face as he pulled away too quickly. Her full lips trembled, threatening a pout, as she stared up at him with shocked but longing green eyes. "Vandryn..." she breathed, "Kiss me again."